STATES BY COLORFUL LOCALES - 10/9 J! Round category [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

How did you do with the category?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:09 am

$200: Greenbelt & Silver Spring - I got it right.
84%
$400: Brownsville & White Settlement - I got it right.
73%
$600: Red Hook & White Plains - I got it right.
73%
$800: Brownsboro Village & Bowling Green but not Yellow Springs - I got it right.
70%
$1000: Black Oak & Blue Eye - I got it right.
18%
I have heard of Greenbelt, Maryland.
28%
I have heard of Silver Spring Maryland.
87%
I have heard of Brownsville, Texas.
80%
I have heard of White Settlement, Texas.
14%
I have heard of Red Hook, New York.
34%
I have heard of White Plains, New York.
91%
I have heard of Brownsboro Village, Kentucky.
1%
I have heard of Bowling Green, Kentucky.
94%
I have heard of Black Oak, Arkansas.
23%
I have heard of Blue Eye, Arkansas.
3%
I have never heard of any of the cities.
1%

Total votes: 79

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

STATES BY COLORFUL LOCALES - 10/9 J! Round category [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

STATES BY COLORFUL LOCALES

$200: Greenbelt & Silver Spring

$400: Brownsville & White Settlement

$600: Red Hook & White Plains

$800: Brownsboro Village & Bowling Green but not Yellow Springs

$1000: Black Oak & Blue Eye

Correct response:
Spoiler
Maryland
Texas
New York
Kentucky
Arkansas
MarkBarrett

Re: STATES BY COLORFUL LOCALES - 10/9 J! Round category [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(

I have heard of Silver Spring, Maryland because many many many game show contestants have been from there.
Brownsville has come up in many ways over the years, so no doubt on guessing TX even with White Settlement being NHOI.

I have heard of White Plains, NY but could not place it in time.
I clammed on KY because of OH doubts seeing Bowling Green.
Not a clue on the AR places.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I know of the band Black Oak Arkansas but didn't put two and two together tonight for the $1,000 clue.

I correctly picked Kentucky based on Bowling Green, but my wife went for the negbait of Ohio (home to Bowling Green State University).
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I think I would have had White Plains if I had had a little more time to think about it. I got the rest. I have heard of the band Black Oak Arkansas, which is the only reason I got the last one.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Living in NYC and having grown up in NJ was helpful for me on 1 of the clues in this category. :) (although I hadn't heard of the Red Hook in upstate NY, but there's also a neighborhood of Brooklyn called Red Hook that I'm familiar with).

I also went to school in Baltimore and D.C., so I knew both the towns in Maryland.

And I had heard of Bowling Green, KY and Brownsville, TX.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

There is also a Bowling Green in VA, and I believe there might be a Brownsville as well, so I flipped to the wrong side of that weighted coin in my head.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I've heard of Bowling Green due to the "massacre," but clammed because I thought it was in Tennessee... which, it turns out, is an alternative fact.
Hoping for a third lap
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

There's also a Bowling Green in Ohio, which threw me for a loop.

I've heard of a few of these, including both at $200, but they all seem way too vague and obscure for clues.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:54 am There's also a Bowling Green in Ohio, which threw me for a loop.

I've heard of a few of these, including both at $200, but they all seem way too vague and obscure for clues.
And yet [poll results].
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(

Heard of SIlver Spring,White Plains and Bowling Green but only one came to mind in time (and even that was a hopeful guess given the other caveat in that clue)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

The 800 clue was easy for me as I've driven around Brownsboro Village, not in it. It's more of a neighborhood now, since Louisville and most of Jefferson County merged under a single government in the early 2000s.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

200- Would have known Silver Spring even if never offered a job there; as a major suburb of D.C. it's in the national news a couple of times each week.
400- NHO White Settlement, but Brownsville is pretty well known for being the southernmost city in Texas. I also knew of it from its connection to aviation history. It used to be the national headquarters for the Commemorative Air Force (formerly the Confederate Air Force).
600- Anything with a "Hook" or a "Kill" as a portion of a name is almost a gimme for NY or eastern NJ. Also knew of White Plains from many '60s sitcoms talking about commutes from White Plains and New Rochelle into NYC. I think Rob & Laurie Petrie in one episode were arguing about moving from one to the other.
800- Knew instantly that Bowling Green was KY, but don't know why; seems I've just always known it since childhood. Did get a kick out of the connection to the "Bowling Green Massacre."
1000- Knew instantly this one was a miss; no familiarity with either community.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:03 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:54 am There's also a Bowling Green in Ohio, which threw me for a loop.
And yet [poll results].
:lol: That almost knocked me out of my chair.

It does seem, though, that each clue had a city that most people have "probably" heard of, plus one that is less known, until the $2000 which had two relatively obscure ones. But still, that's not exactly a high TOM; if you also hadn't heard of the better-known city, you were pretty well stuck. (I went only 1/5 on these myself.)
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I went 2/5 with Maryland and New York, clamming on Kentucky. I think I’ve heard of Brownsville and White Settlement and voted accordingly, but I responded Alabama; presumably there were some Brownsville/Huntsville crossed wires.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I looked up the band Brownsville Station because I thought it would be interesting if two of the clues could be gotten from knowledge of classic rock music (the other being Black Oak Arkansas). Turns out the band Brownsville Station was from Ann Arbor, Michigan but I thought this was an interesting coincidence:
Brownsville Station is an American rock band from Michigan that was popular in the 1970s. Original members included Cub Koda (guitarist/vocalist), Mike Lutz (guitarist/vocalist), T.J. Cronley (drummer), and Tony Driggins (bassist/vocals). Later members included Henry "H-Bomb" Weck (drummer) and Bruce Nazarian (guitarist/vocalist).
(my emphasis)
:D
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:07 pm I looked up the band Brownsville Station because I thought it would be interesting if two of the clues could be gotten from knowledge of classic rock music (the other being Black Oak Arkansas). Turns out the band Brownsville Station was from Ann Arbor, Michigan but I thought this was an interesting coincidence:
Brownsville Station is an American rock band from Michigan that was popular in the 1970s. Original members included Cub Koda (guitarist/vocalist), Mike Lutz (guitarist/vocalist), T.J. Cronley (drummer), and Tony Driggins (bassist/vocals). Later members included Henry "H-Bomb" Weck (drummer) and Bruce Nazarian (guitarist/vocalist).
(my emphasis)
Oh, great! Now he's going to go around singing "Smokin' in the Boys Room" everywhere!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alietr wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:18 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:07 pm I looked up the band Brownsville Station because I thought it would be interesting if two of the clues could be gotten from knowledge of classic rock music (the other being Black Oak Arkansas). Turns out the band Brownsville Station was from Ann Arbor, Michigan but I thought this was an interesting coincidence:
(my emphasis)
Oh, great! Now he's going to go around singing "Smokin' in the Boys Room" everywhere!
I don't get it. What's the relevance of Henry Weck?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

got all of them except for the arkansas clue...i even lived in arkansas for a while and never heard of either of those cities
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:23 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:18 pm
(my emphasis)
I don't get it. What's the relevance of Henry Weck?
He happens to have the same nickname as a boardie who uses an Easter Island Moai as his avatar.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

I guess I always thought "Black Oak Arkansas" was meant to be an evocative name conjuring up a spooky Southern Gothic forest rather than something so prosaic as the name of an actual town. (I also can't really remember any of their songs except their cover of "Jim Dandy.")