PSA: If you are in Ontario or Alberta you can stream Jeopardy live for free.

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

KaladinStormblessed
Contributor

PSA: If you are in Ontario or Alberta you can stream Jeopardy live for free.

Post by KaladinStormblessed »

I hope this is ok to post. I have been staying with my mom who has cable for the past month, but I'm going back home tomorrow where we don't have it. I was googling to find out if YesTV is an OTA channel so I could get it with a digital antenna -- but I found instead that they stream their channel online 24/7! They even have mobile apps. I didn't know this so I thought it might be helpful info for Canadians who might otherwise rely on the secret bunker.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: PSA: If you are in Ontario or Alberta you can stream Jeopardy live for free.

Post by dhkendall »

KaladinStormblessed wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:37 pm I hope this is ok to post. I have been staying with my mom who has cable for the past month, but I'm going back home tomorrow where we don't have it. I was googling to find out if YesTV is an OTA channel so I could get it with a digital antenna -- but I found instead that they stream their channel online 24/7! They even have mobile apps. I didn't know this so I thought it might be helpful info for Canadians who might otherwise rely on the secret bunker.
The downside to this is you have to be watching the livestream when it’s on (or download it, but I can’t think of an app off the top of my head that can do that easily). The good thing about the bunker/Reddit (and PVRs for that matter) is that you can watch it any time at your convenience.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
KaladinStormblessed
Contributor

Re: PSA: If you are in Ontario or Alberta you can stream Jeopardy live for free.

Post by KaladinStormblessed »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:52 pmThe downside to this is you have to be watching the livestream when it’s on (or download it, but I can’t think of an app off the top of my head that can do that easily). The good thing about the bunker/Reddit (and PVRs for that matter) is that you can watch it any time at your convenience.
True...but it also means you don't have to wait for someone to post it! :D And I'm sure I'm not the only one who avoids using unofficial/unlicensed media sources. But yeah, it sure would be nice if J! had a YouTube channel or something...
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

KaladinStormblessed wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:54 pm But yeah, it sure would be nice if J! had a YouTube channel or something...
Pretty sure they do...
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Also, I'm reasonably certain that the stream is accessible to anyone in Canada, not just Ontario and Alberta.
Andy Saunders
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:27 am
KaladinStormblessed wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:54 pm But yeah, it sure would be nice if J! had a YouTube channel or something...
Pretty sure they do...
Is that really their official channel? Wow what a bizarre mix of Howdies, player news...and a bunch of random clues/categories someone decided to make clips of for no discernable reason.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:35 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:27 am Pretty sure they do...
Is that really their official channel? Wow what a bizarre mix of Howdies, player news...and a bunch of random clues/categories someone decided to make clips of for no discernable reason.
Yes, that's *really* their official channel.

Considering that the object of their promotion is to get people to actually watch the show on their local station, because that is how the show makes money, I'd say that's a reasonable use of an official promotional channel.
Andy Saunders
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:58 am

Considering that the object of their promotion is to get people to actually watch the show on their local station, because that is how the show makes money,
Which is why they would never make their episodes available online. They did post some games during the Decades Tournament, but that was to introduce fans to people who were on long before some viewers were even born.

I had hoped they'd use the Crackle site to show early season games, but I doubt that will happen. With Sports Jeopardy apparently dead, I wouldn't be surprised if they take the Crackle channel down completely.
Doogie2K
Contributor

Post by Doogie2K »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:55 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:58 am

Considering that the object of their promotion is to get people to actually watch the show on their local station, because that is how the show makes money,
Which is why they would never make their episodes available online. They did post some games during the Decades Tournament, but that was to introduce fans to people who were on long before some viewers were even born.

I had hoped they'd use the Crackle site to show early season games, but I doubt that will happen. With Sports Jeopardy apparently dead, I wouldn't be surprised if they take the Crackle channel down completely.
Honestly, I'd give Sony $10, even $15/month for Crackle to be able to watch Jeopardy! (all seasons, old and new) at my leisure. Hell, put 'em up on a week's delay or month's delay or whatever if you're worried about annoying your syndication partners. It'd be one fewer reason to have cable TV at that point.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Doogie2K wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:58 pmHonestly, I'd give Sony $10, even $15/month for Crackle to be able to watch Jeopardy! (all seasons, old and new) at my leisure. Hell, put 'em up on a week's delay or month's delay or whatever if you're worried about annoying your syndication partners. It'd be one fewer reason to have cable TV at that point.
100% agree. I understand not wanting to run afoul of syndication agreements, but next day, who cares? It's always surprised me that J! doesn't stream anywhere officially (whether Hulu or Crackle or their website).
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

mikebdoss wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:15 pm but next day, who cares?
The number of people who would be willing to wait until the next day to see Jeopardy make this idea a non-starter, in my opinion, as again, it would cost the show major syndication revenue.
Andy Saunders
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:04 pm
mikebdoss wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:15 pm but next day, who cares?
The number of people who would be willing to wait until the next day to see Jeopardy make this idea a non-starter, in my opinion, as again, it would cost the show major syndication revenue.
Just like with sports, most people (probably) want to watch J! live - I certainly do. But there are times you can't - preemption, real life getting in the way, etc. I just find it amazing that in the age of streaming we live in, there's no where to legitimately watch an episode if you miss it after it airs.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

mikebdoss wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:22 pm I just find it amazing that in the age of streaming we live in, there's no where to legitimately watch an episode if you miss it after it airs.
And that urgency is precisely a selling point and why Jeopardy! is able to get the amount of money that it does for the programming.
Andy Saunders
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mikebdoss wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:22 pm Just like with sports, most people (probably) want to watch J! live - I certainly do. But there are times you can't - preemption, real life getting in the way, etc. I just find it amazing that in the age of streaming we live in, there's no where to legitimately watch an episode if you miss it after it airs.
I can't say I agree with that. We, for example, almost never watch it live. I DVR it and watch it later in the evening. I don't think the average viewer cares very much about seeing the episodes out of order (except during a long run).