What do you guys think of Austin Rogers so far? [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: What do you guys think of Austin Rogers so far? [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:24 pm I haven't apparently replied to this, so to be on record: I really enjoy it, though I add a caveat if there were two or more Austins, it might be a bit much.

Also...PUPPY! :lol:
I’ve been ok with everything, but if tomorrow is baby and Wednesday is monkey...well I’m off team Austin
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:32 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:24 pm I haven't apparently replied to this, so to be on record: I really enjoy it, though I add a caveat if there were two or more Austins, it might be a bit much.

I’ve been ok with everything, but if tomorrow is baby and Wednesday is monkey...well I’m off team Austin
Reverse that. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

He’s got nothing on Billy the Mime. Just saying
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

JW if getting High Five from AT borders on contestant preferential treatment...?! :o
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:35 pm
triviawayne wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:32 pm

Reverse that. :lol:

Ummmmm....no, I want him to get it right...uh, yeah, that’s what I meant
Total game show career losings = $171,522
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

goatman wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:38 pm JW if getting High Five from AT borders on contestant preferential treatment...?! :o
Austin initiated the high-five . . . and none of Austin's opponents was prohibited from high-fiving Alex. :D
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

Okay, anybody who disparages the awful Eagles AND dull El Lay is going to win me over if he's still on by Friday...
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

Gizmo wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:27 pm I found Rogers entertaining at first, although I've grown weary of his antics and now find him smug, annoying, bordering on rude (although not as rude as Matt Jackson). According to this opinion from the Toronto Star, Alex Trebek can't stand him. However, I can't say that I've detected any real animosity on Trebek's part. He may very well dislike Rogers, but he is too professional and tactful to express it on the show.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/t ... -lose.html
This article is so dumb as to hardly be worth a reply, but the dumbest part is that it claims Alex dislikes Austin because of his antics (which at least would be not impossible, although in the past Alex has seemed to like colorful players), but because Austin is not upset about missed Daily Doubles! I think Alex must surely prefer resilient players to ones who break down easily.

ETA: The article has been rewritten with positive comment from Alex himself!
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:28 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:34 pm I feel like I'm in the minority around here at this point but I'm very much on Team Austin.
Me too. Also in unpopular opinions, I loved Jennifer Morrow's dancing, Matt Jackson's enthusiasm and Buzzy's cheerfulness, and am baffled when people see smugness or bad sportspersonship in what appears to me to be someone just enjoying being there. But such is life: opinions vary, and everyone is entitled to their own, even if wrong :lol:
This. You could see it from the moment Austin stepped on the bus to go to the studio on our first tape day. The guy enjoys the game, and he's playing every aspect of the game — not just buzzing in and giving responses, not just betting big, but also having fun himself, with a bit of "gaming" the confidence of his opponents. He is not only fun to watch, but fun to play against.
Johnblue wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:06 pm I couldn't imagine if 2 or all 3 of the contestants started these odd moves/looks during the show. I'd still watch but it'd be tough.
You must have been almost physically ill on 27 September, then.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:15 am
CailinGaoilge wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:28 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:34 pm I feel like I'm in the minority around here at this point but I'm very much on Team Austin.
Me too. Also in unpopular opinions, I loved Jennifer Morrow's dancing, Matt Jackson's enthusiasm and Buzzy's cheerfulness, and am baffled when people see smugness or bad sportspersonship in what appears to me to be someone just enjoying being there. But such is life: opinions vary, and everyone is entitled to their own, even if wrong :lol:
This. You could see it from the moment Austin stepped on the bus to go to the studio on our first tape day. The guy enjoys the game, and he's playing every aspect of the game — not just buzzing in and giving responses, not just betting big, but also having fun himself, with a bit of "gaming" the confidence of his opponents. He is not only fun to watch, but fun to play against.
Johnblue wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:06 pm I couldn't imagine if 2 or all 3 of the contestants started these odd moves/looks during the show. I'd still watch but it'd be tough.
You must have been almost physically ill on 27 September, then.
Why go there? :roll:

I think all people are saying is questioning whether the show should be the new Major Bowes Amateur Hour. Smile, have fun and be yourself - of course - but when it gets into mime sketches, for example, it's likely to rub some the wrong way. So, someone like Austin gets people talking and maybe some more people watching - which is what anything on TV is all about - but it could also cause some viewers to switch channels until this streak is over.

And that being said, and while I'm not really on the Austin train, I'm a little disappointed that he didn't take the opportunity to do Sean Connery saying "Pussy Galore."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:03 pm I think all people are saying is questioning whether the show should be the new Major Bowes Amateur Hour. Smile, have fun and be yourself - of course - but when it gets into mime sketches, for example, it's likely to rub some the wrong way.
You're being contradictory here. For Austin, being himself *is* having fun, joking around with Alex, and releasing tension by doing opening mimes. While I'm not Austin, I wouldn't guarantee I won't do a small little gesture that is more than what most people do because, Jeopardy! is fun! (I sure had fun at my closest experience to the stage - my audition, I can't see me not letting loose a bit (once the initial shock wears off ;) )on stage.

Austin, you be you. I'll continue anxiously awaiting what he'll do next when I watch.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

I'm in neither the love or hate camp towards Austin. That said, I always appreciate it when contestants are generous to each other. Rich and Austin traded some good words last night via Twitter, which is always great to see:

https://twitter.com/RichCoble/status/917791013120499712
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I have to say I'm team Austin. Sometimes I like "shticks", sometimes I dislike them, and sometimes I'm neutral, but I've really been enjoying his. The thing I enjoy the most is watching him puzzle out clues he almost knows (I remember Ken Jennings doing that a fair amount); I also enjoy the opening pantomime, and the little potential annoyances during the game haven't been enough to bother me.

I've also noticed that he tries to talk to the contestant at the center podium after the game is over--sometimes they engage with him, sometimes not. He never comes across to me as intentionally disrespecting his opponents--during the game, he's being himself in a way that's been outrageously successful, but he seems to want to acknowledge his opponents' feelings with a "hey, it's a game, are we cool?" afterwards.

He has some curious gaps in his knowledge. It will be interesting to see how long he can ride his good overall knowledge base, killer buzzer timing, and great instincts.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:08 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:03 pm I think all people are saying is questioning whether the show should be the new Major Bowes Amateur Hour. Smile, have fun and be yourself - of course - but when it gets into mime sketches, for example, it's likely to rub some the wrong way.
You're being contradictory here. For Austin, being himself *is* having fun, joking around with Alex, and releasing tension by doing opening mimes. While I'm not Austin, I wouldn't guarantee I won't do a small little gesture that is more than what most people do because, Jeopardy! is fun! (I sure had fun at my closest experience to the stage - my audition, I can't see me not letting loose a bit (once the initial shock wears off ;) )on stage.

Austin, you be you. I'll continue anxiously awaiting what he'll do next when I watch.
Is nuance/subtlety dead or just on vacation? Because I think it’s possible - just possible, mind you - to appreciate someone having a bit of personality while also wondering if the direction of the show is really served by encouraging mime sketches and the like.

I don’t know why it’s so difficult to accept that everyone has a different tolerance for outsized personalities (for lack of a better term) or that there can be a difference of opinion. Personally, I’ve been somewhere in the middle of the love/hate spectrum but I’m starting to look forward to someone else as Jeopardy champ, but based more in the reactions of some here than Austin.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:30 pm

Is nuance/subtlety dead or just on vacation? Because I think it’s possible - just possible, mind you - to appreciate someone having a bit of personality while also wondering if the direction of the show is really served by encouraging mime sketches and the like.
You're acting as if J! has turned into the Austin Rivers -- er, Rogers Variety Hour. Last I checked, we're still seeing 61-ish clues of trivia per game -- a game that Austin happens to be very good at, thereby earning the right to not only keep playing, but to keep playing his way. It's refreshing to have a contestant who's a bona fide original. And I mean, seriously? People have a problem with mime sketches that last all of a few seconds at the beginning of the show?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:06 pm

You're acting as if J! has turned into the Austin Rivers -- er, Rogers Variety Hour. Last I checked, we're still seeing 61-ish clues of trivia per game -- a game that Austin happens to be very good at, thereby earning the right to not only keep playing, but to keep playing his way. It's refreshing to have a contestant who's a bona fide original. And I mean, seriously? People have a problem with mime sketches that last all of a few seconds at the beginning of the show?
And the returning champion intro is going to take as long as it takes, no matter what Austin does. IIRC, Maggie even warned us beforehand that it's longer and feels more awkward while you're just looking at the camera then, because Johnny has more to say.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

It’s called a difference of opinion. It’s perfectly ok that you’re entertained and others may find the same thing to be contrived and forced. Or anything in between.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:59 pm

It’s called a difference of opinion. It’s perfectly ok that you’re entertained and others may find the same thing to be contrived and forced. Or anything in between.
Well, contrived or forced implies Austin is acting. If he is not, then it's not contrived or forced. That's a disprovable opinion right there.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

He's not as bad as Chu but he is annoying at times. That time off for the break in recording seems to have smoothed the edges. As for whoever asked me if I was made sick on Sept. 27, indeed I was but it was because of rough seas on my ship, not J. If the show makes me ill, I'll just take a break. Frankly, the other contestants just kind of fade away & Austin takes center stage. The others are pretty much nothing memorable.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

One of the FJ! answers that Austin got wrong was funny was the "What is a taco". XD

I remembered a while back when Ryan Chaffee got funny with the "Hot Pastrami Sandwiches" answer. I wonder if anyone else made funny history where they gave off a food-related answer that never related to the FJ! category.

Austin's pretty much a broad base of knowledge, like Ken Jennings, David Madden, Seth Wilson, Brad Rutter, Julia Collins, Matt Jackson and Arthur Chu. Basically, we have the Mount Rushmore of spectacular champs...but doubled with the faces on there. With much of a broader base of knowledge, he does have his flaws. We witnessed a few categories that he missed out on, which raises questions for future Jeopardy! players that dare challenge him.

I wonder...do you think Watson would run circles against Austin?
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.