Learned League 74 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:17 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:09 pm
RandyG wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:44 am Only 37% recognized Eichmann.... only 16% got Judy Garland? Her comeback concert at Carnegie Hall (and subsequent album) was a huge event at the time... and still considered one of the most remarkable events in show business history. I'm not even much of a Judy Garland fan, but that one came to me immediately.
It never occurred to me that the answer might be someone other than an opera singer.
My immediate thought was "it must be the first black singer to perform at Carnegie Hall - Marian Anderson!" Turns out that's not even what Anderson is really famous for and she first sang at Carnegie Hall in 1928.

For Eichmann I picked the wrong Nazi. I said Rudolf Hess. I figured it was a photo from the Nuremberg Trials.
I had Anderson as well. I guessed that she got a huge ovation for walking on stage due to making history for being the first black to perform there.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

RandyG wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:44 am I realize that 23% is a pretty low get rate overall -- double that in my rundle got it -- but was there something notable about the word "camp" being associated with Tiffany lamps, Swan Lake or the Brown Derby Restaurant? Or Susan Sontag, for that matter? I was surprised that anybody got that one right.
I read up a little.... apparently Susan Sontag's essay Notes on 'Camp' made quite a splash at the time. But still, the wording of the question seemed impossibly obscure.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

RandyG wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:44 am Only 37% recognized Eichmann.... only 16% got Judy Garland? Her comeback concert at Carnegie Hall (and subsequent album) was a huge event at the time... and still considered one of the most remarkable events in show business history. I'm not even much of a Judy Garland fan, but that one came to me immediately.
It never occurred to me that the answer might be someone other than an opera singer.
My immediate thought was "it must be the first black singer to perform at Carnegie Hall - Marian Anderson!" Turns out that's not even what Anderson is really famous for and she first sang at Carnegie Hall in 1928.

For Eichmann I picked the wrong Nazi. I said Rudolf Hess. I figured it was a photo from the Nuremberg Trials.
I had Ella Fitzgerald.

As for Eichmann, let me just say I'm instituting a rule for myself that I'm required to run through "We Didn't Start the Fire" in my head before submitting in that mini-league. :lol: :lol: :lol:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RandyG wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:28 pm
RandyG wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:44 am I realize that 23% is a pretty low get rate overall -- double that in my rundle got it -- but was there something notable about the word "camp" being associated with Tiffany lamps, Swan Lake or the Brown Derby Restaurant? Or Susan Sontag, for that matter? I was surprised that anybody got that one right.
I read up a little.... apparently Susan Sontag's essay Notes on 'Camp' made quite a splash at the time. But still, the wording of the question seemed impossibly obscure.
I understood the basic premise of the question, especially due to the inclusion of the Brown Derby, but couldn't come up with "camp."
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

You got fooled by the negbait. I began thinking in that direction at first, but then focused on the other parts of the clue which led me down the yellow brick road (ha ha) to Judy Garland. Of course, it helps to know about the Judy at Carnegie Hall concert and album, the age clue cinched it for me.

Regarding Eichmann vs. Hess, Hess was the first name that popped into my head, but I quickly remembered that he was the last Nazi inmate of Spandau Prison for years so he certainly did not die in 1962.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:33 pm
RandyG wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:28 pm
I understood the basic premise of the question, especially due to the inclusion of the Brown Derby, but couldn't come up with "camp."
Why would anyone consider the original Brown Derby "camp"? OK, I'll grant that one. But Swan Lake? Using that as an example, one might argue that pretty much any ballet or opera is pretty campy. One of the other examples from the original essay -- the old Flash Gordon comics -- might have made the premise clearer to me. A vast majority of the items noted are mostly unknown today.

georgespelvin

Post by georgespelvin »

I said "cool" although I knew that had to be wrong because that word was used in the late 1950s musical "West Side Story".
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

I said Speer for the Nazi. After teaching classes on the Third Reich for several years, there are a lot of Nazis I can identify by sight. I guess Eichmann wasn't one of them.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

georgespelvin wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:55 pm
I said "cool" although I knew that had to be wrong because that word was used in the late 1950s musical "West Side Story".
Not to mention Miles Davis's 1957 album "The Birth of Cool"
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:15 pm
georgespelvin wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:55 pm
Not to mention Miles Davis's 1957 album "The Birth of Cool"
... but you just mentioned it!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I had the exact same wrong answers for the same reasons. I have heard of the Judy Garland concert at some point in the past, but I could not have named it.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Only 37% recognized Eichmann.... only 16% got Judy Garland? Her comeback concert at Carnegie Hall (and subsequent album) was a huge event at the time... and still considered one of the most remarkable events in show business history. I'm not even much of a Judy Garland fan, but that one came to me immediately.

Well, I know now it wasn't Maria Callas.
georgespelvin

Post by georgespelvin »

The plot thickens. I won on defense yesterday 6(3)-3(3) to remain the only unbeaten (but not untied) player in my rundle, in first place, at 6-0-1. I am two points ahead of Boson and Steve Bahnaman with four days left. However, I play Boson on Thursday and Steve on Friday. That will obviously be tough. It turns out though that I close out with the player that's been forfeiting every match for a week and is winless overall. As a result, IF I win my match today against a player that Is 4-3, I may really have a shot at the top 2 to make it into the finals. :o
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

georgespelvin wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:53 am The plot thickens. I won on defense yesterday 6(3)-3(3) to remain the only unbeaten (but not untied) player in my rundle, in first place, at 6-0-1. I am two points ahead of Boson and Steve Bahnaman with four days left. However, I play Boson on Thursday and Steve on Friday. That will obviously be tough. It turns out though that I close out with the player that's been forfeiting every match for a week and is winless overall. As a result, IF I win my match today against a player that Is 4-3, I may really have a shot at the top 2 to make it into the finals. :o
Wow, nice! Good luck!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Generally not a fan of questions that ask you to name 2 or even 3 things! But somehow pulled out the Wilder, Kurosawa, Huston trifecta for 3 points, a win, and now 2nd place in Just Images Movies! Another happy day
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

Are everyone else's results appearing like this (right hand column displaying only one correct question, but with the correct total number of points)?
Attachments
matchday7.JPG
matchday7.JPG (27.47 KiB) Viewed 5875 times
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Not mine. Have yours been fixed yet? I noticed a glitch on Monday night where both my opponent's and my scores were shown correctly, but it incorrectly said I lost the match. By the morning that had been corrected.

Somehow I'm still holding onto that glossy .938 DE efficiency in my '60s group!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

All I can say about the 1960s ML is ... it's good to be old.
georgespelvin

Post by georgespelvin »

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by classicroadster »

I'm not playing any of the MLs, but check each day to see the questions. For the Mideast ML, how the heck did anyone get the World Cup anthem singer as being from Lebanon? I figured (wrongly, obviously) that the anthems would be related to a country that actually qualified in the World Cup. The get rate at 46% league wide was a total shock to me.