The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:54 am Gee, I feel the exact same way (in different terms, obviously) about responding "Maryland" to a clue that's looking for the state Silver Spring is in.
Silver Spring is hardly pavlovian for Maryland. It's not even an incorporated town. It might as well have been Greenbush being "I think I've vaguely heard of this before" for Michigan.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:06 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:54 am Gee, I feel the exact same way (in different terms, obviously) about responding "Maryland" to a clue that's looking for the state Silver Spring is in.
Silver Spring is hardly pavlovian for Maryland. It's not even an incorporated town. It might as well have been Greenbush being "I think I've vaguely heard of this before" for Michigan.
And yet [poll results].
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Incorporation doesn't mean squat. Bethesda isn't incorporated either, but I'll bet that would poll even higher than Silver Spring. Even among non-Jeopardy fans.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:55 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:52 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:44 am "The protagonist of this novel “was fairly sure that his age was 39, and he believed that he had been born in 1944 or 1945”"

My thought process:

1944 + 39 = 19 uh... 4 + 9 = 13, carry the one. 1 + 4 + 3 = 8 I think? That gives me 1983. Wait, that can't be right, do it again.

Nope, still 1983. Can't think of a book that has anything to do with 1983, so I'm boned, let's leave it blank because it's clearly gonna be another Liederkranz.
How'd that work out for you?

I don't care.
If you don't care, why did you bother typing all of that out explaining your thinking? And if you don't care, why should anyone else?
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:22 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:04 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:42 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:37 pm A $200 should be something a lot of people get with little difficulty. This has happened, while you turn somersaults to explain why it was impossible.
What I'm not getting is how they got it, because the only explanations I've gotten have been every bit as dodgy.
Because they ran across it somewhere and remembered it! That's how I get most of my correct responses.
Memory is very patchy and vague. It's very very easy to misremember, second-guess, etc. A $200 box should be crystal clear, not "I heard of this once and kinda vaguely almost remember it". Yeah, well I kinda vaguely almost remember a song by a local artist that the local station played almost 10 years ago, but even though not even Google has heard of it, it must be valid for a clue, right?

Kind of like all those clues that rely on "it sounds kind of like the correct response". Dannebrog sounds nothing at all like Denmark to me.
It sounds like "Dane Burg" which may not have occurred to you, but is in hindsight a very reasonable logic path to the answer.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wheatley wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:17 am It sounds like "Dane Burg" which may not have occurred to you, but is in hindsight a very reasonable logic path to the answer.
"It sounds like" is way too subjective.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:27 pm
Wheatley wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:17 am It sounds like "Dane Burg" which may not have occurred to you, but is in hindsight a very reasonable logic path to the answer.
"It sounds like" is way too subjective.
Exactly. Dane Burg; pfffft! Just because people from Denmark are called Danes, Dane Burg could have easily meant Tanzania! Or Brunei! There was literally no way to connect Dane with Denmark!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My point stands. You sometimes have to take massive leaps of logic, like "it almost sounds sorta vaguely like it" or "I think maybe once in my life I heard that there is a town called Silver Spring in Maryland, and thus in the top box, I'm gonna go entirely with my gut simply because it 'sounds right'" or "when in doubt, just pick one of the two/three/875,342" or "single out a keyword that 98% of people would consider totally immaterial" or "I'm gonna pull this random word completely out of my ass and hope that maybe it might possibly be right".

And we all know how much I hate to guess.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:14 am
And yet [poll results].
Yeah, 85% got it. That's suggests pavlovian to me.

And I'm still not sure why TPH feels all top row clues must be handed to you on a silver (spring) platter. It's true that some are, but some require a little thought, and some are actually difficult. I think that's the way it should be. It makes the game more interesting.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:48 pm And I'm still not sure why TPH feels all top row clues must be handed to you on a silver (spring) platter. It's true that some are, but some require a little thought, and some are actually difficult. I think that's the way it should be. It makes the game more interesting.
And I'm not sure why TPH feels he has to be derisive and condescending to us Normally I'd assume that he's heard of the phrases "catch more flies with honey than vinegar" and "don't bite the hand that feeds you", but with TPH willing to vociferously argue with anyone who says he knows something, I'd wonder.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:12 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:48 pm And I'm still not sure why TPH feels all top row clues must be handed to you on a silver (spring) platter. It's true that some are, but some require a little thought, and some are actually difficult. I think that's the way it should be. It makes the game more interesting.
And I'm not sure why TPH feels he has to be derisive and condescending to us Normally I'd assume that he's heard of the phrases "catch more flies with honey than vinegar" and "don't bite the hand that feeds you", but with TPH willing to vociferously argue with anyone who says he knows something, I'd wonder.
Because everyone always gives me BS reasons like "Blah blah blah guess" or "I knew it because I knew it" instead of showing, you know, logic and reasoning.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Jeopardy’s a trivia show, not a logic show. Even with TOM in the clues they’re still generally going to come down to a nugget of straight knowledge that a player or viewer simply has or doesn’t have.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:24 pm
Because everyone always gives me BS reasons like "Blah blah blah guess" or "I knew it because I knew it" instead of showing, you know, logic and reasoning.
Even the ones with logic or TOMs require you to straight-up know some piece of trivia
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:24 pm
And this excuses rude behaviour? I guess a man resorts to some crazy social behaviour when you're too far away from an Outback Steakhouse and your Bloomin' Onion intake is critically low.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:01 pm And this excuses rude behaviour? I guess a man resorts to some crazy social behaviour when you're too far away from an Outback Steakhouse and your Bloomin' Onion intake is critically low.
I'm imagining what our Secretary of State would have to say about him.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:48 am If you don't care, why did you bother typing all of that out explaining your thinking? And if you don't care, why should anyone else?
I've been asking that same question for 78 pages now.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

econgator wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:59 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:48 am If you don't care, why did you bother typing all of that out explaining your thinking? And if you don't care, why should anyone else?
I've been asking that same question for 78 pages now.
Which is remarkable. You'd think anyone with even the hint of an open mind and a willingness to listen and appreciate that good folks have the best of intentions in trying to help - would have shown some small change. A lot of good folks here have tried so hard to be helpful, but I think a lot of it has given way to exasperation. Because 78 pages later, we're at the exact same place as Page 1.

Then again, I know I've had family members and close friends (some of whom are now former friends) that exhibit a lot of the same kind of defensive stubborn attitude and ultimately, change has to come from within and it can be difficult, if not impossible, to accept help until that change happens.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Because I really am that bored right now...
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:57 pm Jane Austin = Hampshire is pavlovian enough for top box, huh?
She is when you're also spotted "Au" (Remember the category.)
Also saw no way to get "rose" at $400. There are lots of things that can be a red symbol.
York and Lancaster fought the famed "Wars of the Roses" resulting in the Tudor family (and their red+white rose symbol)
NHO "dap". Didn't know fist bumps had another name. My only miss in the category.
This one looks like a legit swing and a miss on the writers' part.
Why wasn't "King" BMS'd for "California King"?
(Northern) Ireland rule. There are king size mattresses.
Color that conveys nostalgia? Sepia, but that doesn't sound remotely latin for a sea creature. I got nothing, it's probably gonna be ultra obscure something or other.
Same, except with no better guess, I put down sepia anyway and I swear if you reply to this saying "but I always get it wrong when I guess" I will...REALLY consider not doing this in the future.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:06 pm Because I really am that bored right now...
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:57 pm Jane Austin = Hampshire is pavlovian enough for top box, huh?
She is when you're also spotted "Au" (Remember the category.)
If you can pull an author with Au in the name. If you had just asked me "Name an author with Au in their name" and nothing else, I would've spent a good 30 minutes spinning my wheels.
Volante wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:06 pm
Also saw no way to get "rose" at $400. There are lots of things that can be a red symbol.
York and Lancaster fought the famed "Wars of the Roses" resulting in the Tudor family (and their red+white rose symbol)
I don't recognize a word of that sentence.
Why wasn't "King" BMS'd for "California King"?
(Northern) Ireland rule. There are king size mattresses.
So X when they want XY = insta-neg, but tangentially synonymous word that kinda works in the context of the clue if you bludgeon it in with a ten-pound-hammer = BMS and hope you pick one of the 847 synonyms. Got it.
Color that conveys nostalgia? Sepia, but that doesn't sound remotely latin for a sea creature. I got nothing, it's probably gonna be ultra obscure something or other.
Same, except with no better guess, I put down sepia anyway and I swear if you reply to this saying "but I always get it wrong when I guess" I will...REALLY consider not doing this in the future.
"Latin for sea creature" is what steered me away from sepia. It's these two part clues that get me. Sure, the first part is likely sepia given the "nostalgic" part, but I was dead set that it HAD to be something else given the second half.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:48 pm If you can pull an author with Au in the name. If you had just asked me "Name an author with Au in their name" and nothing else, I would've spent a good 30 minutes spinning my wheels.
Given you have an incredible ability with Wheel of Fortune to solve a board with very few letters showing, I have a hard time buying the fact that you couldn't get Jane Austen if you're spotted _ _ _ _ _ A U _ _ _ _