Learned League 74 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by jeff6286 »

classicroadster wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:00 pm I'm not playing any of the MLs, but check each day to see the questions. For the Mideast ML, how the heck did anyone get the World Cup anthem singer as being from Lebanon? I figured (wrongly, obviously) that the anthems would be related to a country that actually qualified in the World Cup. The get rate at 46% league wide was a total shock to me.
Have not actually confirmed this but my guess was that the singer was Shakira, and somewhere in my head I thought that she might be of Lebanese descent. (I've confirmed that her parents did indeed come from Lebanon but I have not confirmed that she is singing the song, I assume it is the case though.)

I am also surprised it played as high as it did, but I have thought that about a lot of the Middle East questions.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

I recognized Shakira's voice but had forgotten her heritage. I knew it once, I swear! :lol: Hips don't lie, but sometimes my memory does.

I had a glitch yesterday morning where it showed me having zero correct answers in one of the MLs when I actually had one. I lost either way, so it didn't affect anything, and it resolved itself after about an hour, but it had me scratching my head for a bit.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:10 pm
classicroadster wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:00 pm I'm not playing any of the MLs, but check each day to see the questions. For the Mideast ML, how the heck did anyone get the World Cup anthem singer as being from Lebanon? I figured (wrongly, obviously) that the anthems would be related to a country that actually qualified in the World Cup. The get rate at 46% league wide was a total shock to me.
Have not actually confirmed this but my guess was that the singer was Shakira, and somewhere in my head I thought that she might be of Lebanese descent. (I've confirmed that her parents did indeed come from Lebanon but I have not confirmed that she is singing the song, I assume it is the case though.)

I am also surprised it played as high as it did, but I have thought that about a lot of the Middle East questions.
I had no clue, and just went with the country that is the most cosmopolitan and liberal (well, parts of it, anyway) where singing like that would be allowed. I was sorta surprised I was right.
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

alietr wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:19 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:10 pm

I had no clue, and just went with the country that is the most cosmopolitan and liberal (well, parts of it, anyway) where singing like that would be allowed. I was sorta surprised I was right.
I remember an interview when she first became big that stated that she was from Colombian and Lebanese background, which was her explanation about the 'belly dancing' moves she did with hips don't lie.

Despite the fact that I lived in the Middle East for 10 years and teach world history, I'm in fourth in my Rundle. There are a lot of accomplished quizzers in my group, but Ragavan Ramsubramani is destroying all of us. I'm not helping myself by double guessing every answer I put in.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

I got it right by guessing a country in the middle east without listening to the song. I'm getting brained on all of these MLs.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I beat Fritz Holznagel?! :o
I assigned the Lebanon question a 3, and it was the only one he got right. He gave me a 3-pointer on Baghdad, even though geography is my best category. I still have no 3-pointers in the 60's ML, which I suppose is historically accurate because the NBA didn't have 3-pointers at the time.
Hoping for a third lap
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

sarisson wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm I beat Fritz Holznagel?! :o
I assigned the Lebanon question a 3, and it was the only one he got right. He gave me a 3-pointer on Baghdad, even though geography is my best category. I still have no 3-pointers in the 60's ML, which I suppose is historically accurate because the NBA didn't have 3-pointers at the time.
I'll ask -- how did you get to Baghdad on that one? I was thinking of a lot of places that had greater proximity to the actual Gulf.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

sarisson wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm I still have no 3-pointers in the 60's ML, which I suppose is historically accurate because the NBA didn't have 3-pointers at the time.
The ABA did for part of that decade.
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

I didn't recognize Shakira's voice, and it wouldn't have helped anyway because I didn't know she was of Lebanese descent. I just decided to guess a Middle Eastern country that hadn't come up yet in the ML, and I got lucky.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:22 pm
I'll ask -- how did you get to Baghdad on that one? I was thinking of a lot of places that had greater proximity to the actual Gulf.
I guessed Baghdad - no real hint other than thinking where a train might head from Anatolia (which meant "Turkey" to me. I see that I was largely right) that went to the "gulf region". The little emirates were a lot less important before oil, so I was left with only a few major cities, and Baghdad seemed likely.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

boson wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:27 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:22 pm I'll ask -- how did you get to Baghdad on that one? I was thinking of a lot of places that had greater proximity to the actual Gulf.
I guessed Baghdad - no real hint other than thinking where a train might head from Anatolia (which meant "Turkey" to me. I see that I was largely right) that went to the "gulf region". The little emirates were a lot less important before oil, so I was left with only a few major cities, and Baghdad seemed likely.
Same here. I didn't think it would go all the way to Kuwait (City), or Tehran.
Hoping for a third lap
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I'm not sure whether anyone posted this, but the current issue of Notre Dame Magazine contains a feature on Thorsten (ND class of 1994) and Learned League:

https://magazine.nd.edu/news/not-a-trivial-pursuit
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:22 pm
Same here, I actually considered Baghdad, but dismissed as it was too far away from the Gulf (and since the railroad was supposed to get the Germans to the Gulf, what were they supposed to do once it pulled into Baghdad station, get out and walk the rest of the way?)

I said Basra because it seemed like the closest Gulf port to Turkey (and what the others said about no other obvious places at the time). Checking my atlas from early September 1939 shows that Basra was a significant city of the time, with a population around 47.000, second only to Baghdad in population in Iraq.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:09 pm
I said Basra because it seemed like the closest Gulf port to Turkey (and what the others said about no other obvious places at the time). Checking my atlas from early September 1939 shows that Basra was a significant city of the time, with a population around 47.000, second only to Baghdad in population in Iraq.
That's a seriously accurate population figure ... down to three decimal places!
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

I defended that question as world history rather than geography. I was trying to think of cities that gave decent water access but would be outside the Gulf itself since I read the clue as saying the purpose was to circumvent Ottoman domination of the Gulf. I went with Sana'a.

For Lebanon I was lucky to recognize Shakira from Zootopia (thanks kids!) and remembered that her ancestry was Lebanese.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Well now the plot REALLY thickens. In my '60s league rundle, Steve Bahnaman surprisingly forfeited again while I suffered my first loss of the season.

That means that I am now tied with Boson for first place, three points ahead of anyone else. We play today. 8-) If Learned League had a cable channel, this match would probably be one of the televised ones. :lol: Boson, of course, has the tiebreaker advantage so I am actually in second (and in a similar situation to where I finished in the last LL, tied for first, second by tiebreaker).

Good luck Boson--but not too much. :lol:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

I have been to the Baha'i Temple in Haifa multiple times. My wife studied abroad in Haifa. Which is why it is so infuriating that I looked at it, said "I got this", wrote down "Druze", and didn't even look at it again. One of my worst brain farts ever.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Still time for me to screw it up, but I'm tentatively looking forward to the Movies championship come Tuesday. Some of those have clues have been really fantastic.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm now up to a .950 DE in the '60s ML. Still just one unforced point allowed! I must admit I've had a pretty easy road so far. I can pretty much coast into the championship.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I hope boson and I are both able to get there and join you.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.