Wednesday, October 11, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7608, 2017-10-11

Austin Rogers game 12.

CONTESTANTS
Brian Kato, a State Department contractor from Washington, D.C.
Lisa Rhae Burgess, a retired high school teacher from Surfside Beach, South Carolina
Austin Rogers, a bartender from New York, New York (whose 11-day cash winnings total $394,700)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Happy to be back with all of you folks and with Mr. Showbiz, our champion, Austin Rogers. Lisa Rhae, Brian, welcome aboard and good luck. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round, and we get to deal with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TV SITCOMS BY MOM (4/5) (Alex: We'll give you the mom.)
THEY'RE HISTORY! (5/5)
ACC SCHOOLS (4/5)
B OFF! (5/5)
CARVE OUT (5/5)
A PLACE FOR YOURSELF (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Austin: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Lisa Rhae: 8 R, 0 W
Brian: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Austin: $4,400
Lisa Rhae: $2,800
Brian: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Brian Kato is a State Department contractor from Washington, D.C. now, but you went to the same school as Merv Griffin did?

Brian: That's right. Jeopardy! creator Merv Griffin. So actually, when I was in my junior year, he came out to give a donation to the performing arts program--our production of Hello, Dolly!. Came out on stage during intermission. I was down in the pit playing guitar. He said, you know, "Glad to be back. Look at all these bright, shining faces, except this guitar player. He's glaring at me."

Alex: And where was this school?

Brian: San Mateo, California.

Alex: Yeah, I was gonna say. He's from California. Good.

Alex: Lisa Rhae Burgess from Surfside Beach, South Carolina.

Lisa Rhae: Yes.

Alex: Does something in the summer months that a lot of people would be very envious of, I'm sure. Tell us what that is.

Lisa Rhae: I will take about two, two and a half weeks and drive across the country, just to see as many sights as I can. Two years ago, we drove 10,000 miles in 18 days.

Alex: Well, good for you. There's so much turmoil in the world, and so many problems associated with traveling by air or whatever to go abroad. There are a lot of great places here in the United States.

Alex: And you've seen many of them.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Austin Rogers, bartender from New York. Let's talk about your wardrobe, because it has changed quite a bit in the two weeks you've been on the program. Everything you have worn, though, has been purchased where?

Austin: Thrift shops. I buy everything, everything--except the black suit I've worn--everything I've worn is from a thrift shop. Every blazer, every tie, jeans, shoes, all of it.

Alex: Now, is that just for our show?

Austin: No, no, I buy everything at thrift shops. People on the Upper East Side will give away completely good things. Except healthcare, apparently.

[Laughter]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Austin found the Daily Double on the 23rd clue. Austin had $7,200, Lisa Rhae had $3,600, and Brian was at $1,200. Austin wagered $4,200.

A PLACE FOR YOURSELF $800: Undershaw, home of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, included this writing room, perhaps decorated in scarlet?
(Alex: Came to you in the nick of time.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV SITCOMS BY MOM $800: Frankie Heck

ACC SCHOOLS $400: Mike Ditka & Tony Dorsett prowled the field as Panthers for this school

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Austin: $12,600
Lisa Rhae: $4,800
Brian: $2,400
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE NATIONAL RECORDING REGISTRY (3/5) (Alex: That's at the Library of Congress.)
GOING TO THE MATTRESSES (5/5) (Alex, Oh, oh.)
THERE'LL ALWAYS BE AN ENGLAND (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Of course.)
3-LETTER WORDS (4/5) (Alex: That sounds easy.)
POWER TO THE PAPAL (3/5)
"AU"THORS (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brian: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Lisa Rhae: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Austin: 6 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brian snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Austin had $12,600, Lisa Rhae had $4,800, and Brian was at $3,600. Brian made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,600.

"AU"THORS $1200: Confess that you know the name of this prolific writer and bishop of Hippo
(Brian: Sorry.)
(Alex: The A-U comes up in [*]. [*]. You drop to 0. Go again.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Brian who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Austin had $14,600, Lisa Rhae had $5,600, and Brian was at $400. Brian wagered $2,000.

THERE'LL ALWAYS BE AN ENGLAND $1600: Edward the Confessor died with a direct heir to the throne in this crucial year of English history

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"AU"THORS $1600: Her "Clan of the Cave Bear" was a mammoth bestseller
(Lisa Rhae: Who is McCallaugh?)

"AU"THORS $2000: This American novelist rose to fame with his 1980s "New York Trilogy"

3-LETTER WORDS $800: It's the 3-letter name for the action seen here
(Brian: What is...fist bump.)

THE NATIONAL RECORDING REGISTRY $1200: Thinking carefully about everything led to the addition of the first episode of this flagship NPR news show
(Brian: What is Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me?)
(Austin: What is Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me?)

THE NATIONAL RECORDING REGISTRY $2000: The 5-word title of this hymn, which many call the African-American national anthem, precedes "til earth and heaven ring"
(Brian: What is "Let Every Voice Be Heard"?)

POWER TO THE PAPAL $2000: From the Latin for "messenger", it's a papal diplomat or representative
(Alex: You've probably heard the term. Papal [*].)

POWER TO THE PAPAL $1600: A Vatican chapel is named for this pope, the fourth of his name. Oddly, there was a fifth, but no more after that
(Alex: Oddly, because it's Pope [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Austin: $15,400 (lock game)
Brian: $7,200
Lisa Rhae: $6,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
VISUAL VOCABULARY
(Alex: That's a tough one.)

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Austin: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $999 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Brian: Wager $5,601 to cover Lisa Rhae.
Lisa Rhae: Risk between $801 and $4,800, covering Brian's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A Latin word for a sea creature, in photography, it's a color that conveys nostalgia

FINAL SCORES
Lisa Rhae: $6,400 + $6,000 = $12,400 (What is sepia?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Brian: $7,200 + $5,601 = $12,801 (What is sepia?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Austin: $15,400 + $900 = $16,300 (What is sepia?) (12-day champion: $411,000)
(Alex: The Latin word for the cuttlefish is [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Austin: $12,000, 20 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Brian: $10,400, 16 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Lisa Rhae: $6,400, 14 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $28,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Austin: 21/59 = .356
Brian: 17/60 = .283
Lisa Rhae: 15/58 = .259
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THEY'RE HISTORY! $400: Originally a Libyan prince, Tefnakhte was later king & founder of this country's 24th dynasty
(Brian: What is Carthage?)

THEY'RE HISTORY! $1000: Battenberg was the original surname of this Lord, the last Viceroy of India, seen with the first President of India

CARVE OUT $400: The carving of this mineral was popular during the Ming dynasty

THERE'LL ALWAYS BE AN ENGLAND $800: A statue of justice tops the London building known as this old place

THE NATIONAL RECORDING REGISTRY $800: The 2016 registry added 25 titles, including this seminal album by N.W.A.
(Austin: What is Fear of a Black Planet?)

THE NATIONAL RECORDING REGISTRY $1600: His opera "Treemonisha ", whose overture is heard here, joined some of his ragtime compositions on the registry

GOING TO THE MATTRESSES $2000: In the 1920s & '30s Eleanor Roosevelt did ads for this manufacturer's Beautyrest mattress
(Lisa Rhae: What is Serta?)

GOING TO THE MATTRESSES $1600: One of these stately mattresses is 72 inches wide by 84 inches long, longer & narrower than its royal cousin
(Austin: What is a king mattress?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
a study
The Middle
University of Pittsburgh
St. Augustine
Jean Auel
Paul Auster
dap
All Things Considered
"Lift Every Voice and Sing"
nuncio
Sixtus
sepia
Egypt
Mountbatten
jade
Bailey
Straight Outta Compton
(Scott) Joplin
Simmons
California king
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
VISUAL VOCABULARY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A Latin word for a sea creature, in photography, it’s a color that conveys nostalgia

Austin Rogers: 15400+900=16300 (12x = $411,000)
Lisa Rhae: 6400+6000=12400
Brian Kato: 7200+5601=12801

Correct response:
Spoiler
sepia

Daily Doubles
Austin: 7200+4200
Brian: 3600-3600
Brian: 400+2000

Coryats
Austin: 12000
Lisa Rhae: 6400
Brian: 10400

Combined: 28,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Austin: 12600
Lisa Rhae: 4800
Brian: 2400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

That was the first time in 12 games that Austin did not play a DD in the DJ! round. He still got the runaway thanks to Brian’s miss on DD2.

For the money list it’s:
Ken Jennings: $2,520,700
David Madden: $430,400
Julia Collins: $428,100
Matt Jackson: $411,612
Austin Rogers: $411,000

The FJ! clue played like a movie one for me as I learned the term in association with Dorothy’s Kansas scenes. VISUAL VOCABULARY was a new category for the show and it had me dreading some kind of awful word origin clue. Instead its bark was worse than its bite.

When the TOC comes around and when someone anoints Austin the heavy favorite remember this game. 12 wins and 411K is great. Today’s game by Austin was far from great and shows how he can be part of just an average game.

If such a thing occurs in the semifinals Austin may not have a chance to try to make big wagering pay off in the finals.
PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 »

man today got to be tough for the rest of the players waiting to play in the crowd for thursday and friday cause they saw Austin played maybe his worse game and he still comes out on top.(a lock game aswell) that may not bold while for the others left for the week.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Austin keeps winning with runaways despite not always putting up great Coryats and letting some surprising Lach Trash go by; a game like today's, his worst yet (with a Coryat of just $12,000), definitely renews questions about how he'll do against TOC-level competition. He's also 11 of 12 now on FJ's, although like today's most of them have been on the easy side. (Naturally, today's FJ was an instaget for me. I never knew the origin of the word "sepia," but you didn't really have to to solve this one.) Sort of echoing what MarkBarrett said, I've come to no longer regard Austin as a prohibitive favorite in the TOC although I would probably still make him my overall favorite. He's still an outstanding player, but it's easy to forget how strong some of the other contestants in this November's TOC field are too.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Earlier this morning, I was on Youtube, and I was watching a few trailers for the movie Happy Death Day, which releases on Friday the 13th, and seeing this game, I thought to myself "Today's not Friday the 13th yet", and this appeared to have been an early bad luck sign on Austin Rogers, who had his worst runaway game yet possible. Only gained $2,800 after DJ, and Brian is probably kicking himself for missing that TDD because he probably could have possibly dethroned Austin with the other DD he picked up.

As what Jimmy McMillan would say, "THE NUMBER OF CLUES NOT ANSWERED IS TOO DAMN HIGH!"

The first time that we've seen Austin struggle to pick up a DD in DJ and Brian's miss on one of them was costly.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Anyone else think "dap" (?) in the three letter clue category was way undervalued? (Anyone else even *heard* of "dap" as opposed to, say "fist-bump"?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:02 pm Anyone else think "dap" (?) in the three letter clue category was way undervalued? (Anyone else even *heard* of "dap" as opposed to, say "fist-bump"?)
What was it valued at? In any case, poll request to MarkBarrett on this one.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
jmb51
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by jmb51 »

it would be nice to see two all-time statistical lists - one based on prize money won and one based on games won - perhaps the top 25 could be shown on the site's main page
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Yuck yuck yuck. And that's not me laughing. Watching the game was downright embarrassing, having to watch Brian dig out of one mess after another.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

That was kinda sad. This wasn't so much a dominating performance as his opponents just never gettting untracked.

What did he say for that NWA clue?

Color + nostalgia? Super-instaget FJ.

Add me to the 'WTF is a dap!?' list.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

PanthersFan1 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:56 pm that may not bold while for the others left for the week.
Autocorrect?
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

How did Austin get away with saying "Montbatten" instead of Mountbatten?
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

TV (4), History (3), ACC (5), B Off (3), Carve (2), Place (3)
Record (4), Mattress (0), England (5), 3-Letter Words (2), Papal (1), "Au"thors (3)

Lach Trash: Pittsburgh, St. Augustine, All Things Considered

Instaget FJ.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I had "dab" instead of "dap". I know its also a trending dance move, but I think "dab" works too, judges?

The first part of the clue was not helpful at all, but nostalgic photo got me right to sepia so no harm no foul.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Wrote down sepia early, but for some reason I wasn't totally confident. Ah well, another correct final to help my self-esteem! :lol:

I'm not sure I'm familiar with the word dap.. odd because someone my age probably would get that! Disappointed to see The Middle missed by all three contestants (not the first time, either) - one of my favorite shows! Also disappointed in the Pitt TS..sports, people!

If you had told me a year ago that someone would dethrone Seth at the pole position on the ToC tracker, I wouldn't have believed you. Congrats to Austin on win #12! Still enjoying the run, but yes that was definitely his worst game yet.. no doubt a tough one to watch.

It all goes back to the games and money outweighing the advanced stats.. we asked earlier in his run "How good is he" -- Mark I think you nailed it. He plays like Roger Craig but isn't as dominant. Seems there are a lot of "straight line" players in this ToC field, but tonight proves that if Austin draws an active DD hunter (eh-hem, Pranjal, who I think we're all overlooking) trouble may await.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:34 pm What did he say for that NWA clue?
The Public Enemy album Fear of a Black Planet.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Golf

Post by Golf »

OSXpert wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:31 pm I had "dab" instead of "dap". I know its also a trending dance move, but I think "dab" works too, judges?
No way, two totally different things.
davey

Post by davey »

nlw44 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:16 pm How did Austin get away with saying "Montbatten" instead of Mountbatten?
It sounded like he thinks it has a "French" pronunciation, at least that first syllable. A little odd, but I wouldn't neg it either, since it didn't add any extra phonemes. I was stricter on my own Sextus for Sixtus... :roll:
Last edited by davey on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.