Thursday, October 12, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 12, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7609, 2017-10-12

Austin Rogers game 13.

CONTESTANTS
Sean Chong, a medical student from Silver Spring, Maryland
Scarlett Sims, a stay-at-home mom from Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Austin Rogers, a bartender from New York, New York (whose 12-day cash winnings total $411,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I'll begin today with a bit of background information for all of you. Only four Jeopardy! champions in our entire history have won more games or more money than Austin Rogers, so he is in some very elite company. Scarlett and Sean, good luck. You're gonna need it. Here we go. Here are the categories for you, players...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE INUIT (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: First peoples in the Arctic.)
MEN & WOMEN OF LETTERS (4/5) (Alex: We'll give you the writer's first and middle names. You name the author.)
OUT-OF-DATE TV TITLES (5/5)
ALL THE "BEST" (4/5)
THE END IS NEAR (4/5)
HELLO, DOLLY! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Scarlett: 14 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Austin: 10 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Sean: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Austin found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Austin had $2,600, Scarlett had $3,000, and Sean was at $2,000. Austin wagered $1,400.

THE INUIT $1000: Inuit sculpture is in high demand; a favorite subject is this beloved five hundred-plus-pound creature of their homelands
(Austin: What is a yak?)
(Alex: It's like a yak, but it's a [*]. My favorite animal.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Scarlett: $3,000
Sean: $2,000
Austin: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sean Chong is a medical student from Maryland whose first date with his girlfriend was at a special club. What was it?

Sean: Well, it was a cat cafe. My beautiful, amazing girlfriend Mariel, who's in the audience tonight--I love you so much--our first date was at a cat cafe. While we were there, we fell in love with this absolutely cuddly and adorable cat that sat in her lap the entire time. And five weeks later, we went back and took her home with us.

Alex: And what exactly is a cat cafe?

Sean: You pay money to hang with cats and drink coffee.

Alex: Oh. That sounds like fun.

Sean: Yeah.

Alex: It worked out for you.

Sean: It did.

Alex: She's in the audience.

Alex: Scarlett Sims, a stay-at-home mom from Tennessee who met her husband at a college quiz bowl tournament.

Scarlett: That's right. I met my husband, Hunter, because he overslept and got put on my team. He wasn't supposed to be on my team, but he got put on my team, and I beat him to the buzzer on a question about The Pompatus of Love.

Alex: Hmm.

[Laughter]

Alex: All right, and you're still together.

Alex: Austin Rogers is our champion. He is a bartender, and I have good news for you. Because we did not phrase our clue exactly the way we should have, your response of "whale" for that blubber clue, instead of "seal", has been deemed by our researchers to be acceptable.

Austin: Sweet.

Alex: So you're picking up an extra--yeah, sweet. You're up to $1200.

Austin: Awesome.

Alex: Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ALL THE "BEST" $1000: An assistant at a memorable event, or a Gore Vidal play title

MEN & WOMEN OF LETTERS $800: Sci-fi author James Graham

THE END IS NEAR $400: A standard 9-month term of the group seen here normally ends in this month

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Scarlett: $8,000
Austin: $2,400
Sean: $2,000
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 12, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EIGHTYSOMETHING (3/5)
STARTS OR ENDS WITH A TREE (3/5)
THAT CRAZY 14th CENTURY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: You get to deal with...)
BE A SMART PATIENT (5/5) (Alex: Come on.)
GEOGRA"P" (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HELLO, DOLLY PARTON! (5/5) (Alex: Not HELLO, DOLLY!...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Scarlett: 11 R, 1 W
Austin: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 2 W
Sean: 2 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Austin snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Austin had $3,600, Scarlett had $15,200, and Sean was at $2,400. Austin wagered $3,000.

THAT CRAZY 14th CENTURY $1600: 1370: The first stone of this is laid in Paris, where it stood for 419 years

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Austin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 15th clue. Austin had $8,200, Scarlett had $17,200, and Sean was at $1,600. Austin wagered $7,200.

GEOGRA"P" $1600: In the 17th century its location at England's southwest tip made it the target of pirate raids

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GEOGRA"P" $800: We'll bill you if you can't come up with the name of this 900-mile-long tributary of the Rio Grande
(Sean: What is a Peso?)
(Alex: Not the Peso, the [*].)

GEOGRA"P" $2000: National adjective for a 90-mile-long "corridor" of land extending to Gdansk that helped spark World War II
(Alex: And that word is [*]. [*] corridor.)

EIGHTYSOMETHING $1600: In 2015 at 86 this Mesa petroleum billionaire started an alliterative "podcast" with his thoughts on energy
(Austin: Who is Ross Perot?)
(Alex: Who is [*]? You're now in second place.)

EIGHTYSOMETHING $2000: This British Nobel Prize-winning author of The Golden Notebook was 88 when she published Alfred and Emily

STARTS OR ENDS WITH A TREE $800: A guru's retreat in India

STARTS OR ENDS WITH A TREE $2000: Slang for a detective
(Austin: What is, oh, God, a dick?)
(Alex: No. I know nothing about a dick tree, but there is a gum tree, for [*].)
(Austin: Haha, gum tree. I've seen one before.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Scarlett: $21,200
Austin: $16,600
Sean: $2,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOVIE HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Scarlett: Wager $12,001 to cover Austin, but no more than $15,599 so as not to fall behind Sean's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $6,401.
Austin: You ought to wager between $4,601 (venusian) and $7,400 (martian), thereby safely covering a $0 bet by Scarlett.
Sean: Too bad for you, Sean, your score is less than Scarlett's score minus Austin's score. Unless they both commit an egregious wagering error, you've no hope of moving into first place. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 1947 FBI study chided this holiday film's "attempt to discredit bankers ...a common trick used by Communists"

FINAL SCORES
Sean: $2,800 - $1,800 = $1,000 (What is Miracle on 51st St.?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Austin: $16,600 + $16,550 = $33,150 (What is It's A Wonderful Life) (2nd place: $2,000)
Scarlett: $21,200 + $12,001 = $33,201 (What is It's a Wonderful Life?) (New champion: $33,201)
(Alex: [To Sean] Wrong street, and wrong film.)
(Sean: Oh, well.)
(Alex: That's okay.)
(Alex: [To Austin] The Frank Capra film, which is correct.)
(Alex: And we're going to see Austin Rogers in our Tournament of Champions very soon.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Scarlett: $21,200, 25 R, 1 W
Austin: $11,000, 21 R (including 2 DDs), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Sean: $2,800, 5 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $35,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Scarlett: 26/58 = .448
Austin: 22/61 = .361
Sean: 5/58 = .086
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE INUIT $200: Skilled Inuit using special knives cut blocks of ice to build this and complete one in a couple of hours

THE INUIT $400: As far back as 3000 B.C. on this type of weapon, the Inuit used the togglehead seen here; it rotates to stay in the whale

THE INUIT $600: Vital in the dark winter, the qulliq is traditionally fueled by the oil of this animal whose skin and bones were also key resources
(Austin: What is the whale?)

THE INUIT $800: The creation of this Canadian territory in 1999 allowed the Inuit to be in charge of their cultural and political destiny

MEN & WOMEN OF LETTERS $600: Phyllis Dorothy
(Austin: Oops.)
(Alex: Oops indeed.)

HELLO, DOLLY! $400: This type of doll was a fad in the 1960s

HELLO, DOLLY! $1000: This line of dolls includes First Day of School Frankie Stein
(Austin: Oh, oh, man, What are, Monsters, something, no.)

HELLO, DOLLY PARTON! $2000: In 2016 Dolly created My People Fund & hosted a telethon to help her fellow Tennesseans affected by these
(Alex: I guess the fact that you're from Tennessee helped a lot with that category.)

THAT CRAZY 14th CENTURY $2000: 1345: A dying man coughs up ritual food that then wouldn't burn in the Amsterdam "miracle of" this consecrated bread
(Alex: The Host.)

GEOGRA"P" $1200: In Southwest Jordan, you'll find this city of temples and tombs carved from the surrounding rock

EIGHTYSOMETHING $800: At age 89 virtuoso Arthur Rubinstein gave his last public concert on this instrument
(Scarlett: What is violin?)

STARTS OR ENDS WITH A TREE $400: Ship steering wheel
(Sean: Oof. Messed up on that one.)
(Alex: Oh, that's too bad.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
a musk ox
the best man
(J.G.) Ballard
June
the Bastille
Penzance
Pecos
Polish
T. Boone Pickens
Doris Lessing
ashram
gumshoe
It's A Wonderful Life
an igloo
harpoon
seal
Nunavut
(P.D.) James
a troll doll
Monster High
fires
(the) Eucharist
Petra
the piano
the helm
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOVIE HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 1947 FBI study chided this holiday film’s “attempt to discredit bankers…a common trick used by communists”

Austin Rogers: 16600+16550=33150
Scarlett Sims: 21200+12001=33201 (New Champ)
Sean Chong: 2800-1800=1000

Correct response:
Spoiler
It’s a Wonderful Life (Sean – Miracle on 51st St)

Daily Doubles
Austin: 1400-1400
Austin: 3600+3000
Austin: 8200+7200

Coryats
Austin: 11000
Scarlett: 21200
Sean: 2800

Combined: 35,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Austin: 2400
Scarlett: 8000
Sean: 2000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was *Miss Scarlett in the studio with the buzzer as Austin was Mr. Boddy.

Austin was given some bonus money with the whale reversal happening after his DD miss. If the judges had handled matters sooners Austin would have been at zero to start the second segment instead of 1200.

*Scarlett Sims could be a Miss or Ms. and Miss Scarlet in the board game Clue is one T.

Scarlett Sims from Tennessee took names and numbers in the Dolly Parton category.

Austin's opening looked like this thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPpQoCDS_tw

For the FJ! round let's just say I've seen that movie more than once so not going to miss it.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Wow, nice job, Scarlett, and of course a very impressive run for Austin.

My mom is always daydreaming about a category on Dolly. I'll have to tell her about this, if she hasn't seen it already!
sims
Valued Contributor

Post by sims »

Hey Scarlett here, just signed up for the boards to post in this topic.

Where on earth does it air early enough for there to already be results up?
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

sims wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:15 pm Hey Scarlett here, just signed up for the boards to post in this topic.
Eeee, congratulations! You rock!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

sims wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:15 pm Hey Scarlett here, just signed up for the boards to post in this topic.

The earliest airing in in Montgomery, AL, which is at 9:30 AM.

Congrats on your victory. Looking forward to seeing it myself tonight (I don't care about being spoiled, so I just venture in to any and all threads :) ).
sims
Valued Contributor

Post by sims »

econgator wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:24 pm

Congrats on your victory. Looking forward to seeing it myself tonight (I don't care about being spoiled, so I just venture in to any and all threads :) ).
Ok I noticed that when looking up for a friend in Montgomery where he could watch it, but I thought it might be the previous day's episode because that's so early.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

For the record: this is 9:30 AM Central (10:30 AM Eastern).
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:38 pm

For the record: this is 9:30 AM Central (10:30 AM Eastern).
Here's a comprehensive list of all 208 stations that air Jeopardy!, compiled from actual TV schedules.

Congratulations, Scarlett! Apart from taking down an ultra-champ, $21,200 without the benefit of a Daily Double is an impressive feat. As it happens, Nancy Zerg, Victoria Groce, Diana Peloquin, Brian Loughnane, Michael Baker, and Margie Eulner Ott were all one and done... I like your chances to accomplish something unique in the show's history tomorrow!
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Congrats Sims. That high five at the end is great. Feel free to add the story. Dolly Parton is tailor-made for you.

Good comeback by Austin but the negs towards the end were costly. I'm going to take the field over Austin in TOC.

Anyone who watches Jeopardy religiously knows about Alex's favorite animal.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

sims wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:28 pm

Ok I noticed that when looking up for a friend in Montgomery where he could watch it, but I thought it might be the previous day's episode because that's so early.
Nice job, Scarlett! (it's on at 4:30 here.) Wish I'd done as well on Dolly Parton at home as you did up there.

I had to feel for Sean, living one of our most common Jeopardy fears: getting repeatedly and visually buzzer-beaten (though couldn't tell if it was from being too early or too late.)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

After a certain category earlier this week, I thought it was funny that we had a contestant from Silver Spring.

Congrats to Scarlett, who played very well and took away Austin's usual buzzer dominance. $21,200 is an impressive Coryat for a first game.

Austin could have won this game but his perennial inabillity to stay clam, combined with not going completely all-in on his DJ DD's, did him in (I think -- I'll have to run the numbers later). And this time when he again got an easy FJ right (finishing an amazing 12 of 13 on FJ's), he didn't have the sole solve he needed. Still, it was an outstanding and memorable run and we'll see him again next month and probably in a future super-tournament.

I hope he worked on FJ wagering strategy before taping the TOC.

So in his last 2 games, Austin put up Coryats of $12,000 and today's $11,000. Which Austin will show up at the TOC -- that one, or the one who won $69,000 in one game and had a Coryat of $24,200 as recently as Tuesday? I'll still have him as a gold, but the tournament seems very wide-open now.

It's also a little disappointing that by losing today, Austin is forever frozen at $612 behind Matt Jackson for 5th place in all-time regular-play earnings and also missed a chance to pass Julia Collins and David Madden for 2nd all time.

ETA: It's also disappointing to me that Tim Kutz is now officially out of the TOC.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

I was fully expecting that $1200 from the reversal to be the difference in the game.

I'm happy it wasn't.

Scarlett: what a game.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a loss for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Our long national nightmare is over. The champ was on the defensive for nearly the whole game. Nevertheless, he demonstrated his knack for finding DDs. When I saw how easy FJ was, I suspected Scarlet would win.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Gotta admit, I have never heard of J.G. Ballard or (after looking them up) any of his books.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

ugh. he's back.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Golf

Post by Golf »

floridagator wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:10 pm Our long national nightmare is over.
No. No it's not. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: