What do you guys think of Austin Rogers so far? [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Re: What do you guys think of Austin Rogers so far? [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Post by zerobandwidth »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:12 pm He has some curious gaps in his knowledge. It will be interesting to see how long he can ride his good overall knowledge base, killer buzzer timing, and great instincts.
He's also been smart enough to "STAY CLAM" when clues or even whole categories fall into them. He, like everyone else, depends on the luck of the board to fall his way, but at least he doesn't seem like the sort who would fall into a guess-miss-panic-guess cycle on a bad board. Of knowledge, buzzer, and instinct, someone will have to somehow beat him in at least two things in order to finally end the streak.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

Volante wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:36 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:59 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:06 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:30 pm
dhkendall wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:08 pm

You're being contradictory here. For Austin, being himself *is* having fun, joking around with Alex, and releasing tension by doing opening mimes. While I'm not Austin, I wouldn't guarantee I won't do a small little gesture that is more than what most people do because, Jeopardy! is fun! (I sure had fun at my closest experience to the stage - my audition, I can't see me not letting loose a bit (once the initial shock wears off ;) )on stage.

Austin, you be you. I'll continue anxiously awaiting what he'll do next when I watch.
Is nuance/subtlety dead or just on vacation? Because I think it’s possible - just possible, mind you - to appreciate someone having a bit of personality while also wondering if the direction of the show is really served by encouraging mime sketches and the like.
You're acting as if J! has turned into the Austin Rivers -- er, Rogers Variety Hour. Last I checked, we're still seeing 61-ish clues of trivia per game -- a game that Austin happens to be very good at, thereby earning the right to not only keep playing, but to keep playing his way. It's refreshing to have a contestant who's a bona fide original. And I mean, seriously? People have a problem with mime sketches that last all of a few seconds at the beginning of the show?
It’s called a difference of opinion. It’s perfectly ok that you’re entertained and others may find the same thing to be contrived and forced. Or anything in between.
Well, contrived or forced implies Austin is acting. If he is not, then it's not contrived or forced. That's a disprovable opinion right there.
Riiiight. Someone is going to prove whether Austin is acting or not?? If you believe it's provable, that's fine.

But again, my point is why do you think it's necessary or important to do so?? The thread is specifically a question about what people think, and yet, some folks feel bound and determined to squash or belittle or "disprove" that other points of view are valid. I'd also note there's a certain irony in people who seem to love Austin's non-conformity and yet they practically demand conformity with respect to how Austin is perceived. Odd, that.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:43 am
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:30 pm

Is nuance/subtlety dead or just on vacation? Because I think it’s possible - just possible, mind you - to appreciate someone having a bit of personality while also wondering if the direction of the show is really served by encouraging mime sketches and the like.
You're acting as if J! has turned into the Austin Rivers -- er, Rogers Variety Hour. Last I checked, we're still seeing 61-ish clues of trivia per game -- a game that Austin happens to be very good at, thereby earning the right to not only keep playing, but to keep playing his way. It's refreshing to have a contestant who's a bona fide original. And I mean, seriously? People have a problem with mime sketches that last all of a few seconds at the beginning of the show?
It’s called a difference of opinion. It’s perfectly ok that you’re entertained and others may find the same thing to be contrived and forced. Or anything in between.
Well, contrived or forced implies Austin is acting. If he is not, then it's not contrived or forced. That's a disprovable opinion right there.
Riiiight. Someone is going to prove whether Austin is acting or not?? If you believe it's provable, that's fine.dd, that.
If you've read the media stories about Austin, you'd know that based on the testimony of people who know him IRL, what we're seeing on stage is his authentic self. So no, I'm not impressed by people who assert based on no evidence that Austin's presentation is "acting" or "contrived." You don't have to like his personality; you can prefer boring cookie-cutter contestants if you're so inclined. But don't go making up stuff about his on-air persona being anything other than genuine.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:11 am
Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:43 am

Riiiight. Someone is going to prove whether Austin is acting or not?? If you believe it's provable, that's fine.dd, that.
If you've read the media stories about Austin, you'd know that based on the testimony of people who know him IRL, what we're seeing on stage is his authentic self. So no, I'm not impressed by people who assert based on no evidence that Austin's presentation is "acting" or "contrived." You don't have to like his personality; you can prefer boring cookie-cutter contestants if you're so inclined. But don't go making up stuff about his on-air persona being anything other than genuine.
Again, riiiight. Some friends were interviewed and they vouched for their friend. Shocking!! And apparently, incontrovertible, although I'd say that your evidentiary bar is pretty low.

But it's really not about whether we can get every acquaintance to swear out affidavits to prove whatever point you think can be proved, and instead, what is it that makes you (and others) so uncomfortable with the idea that someone could have a different view and then be determined to try to prove that other view is wrong?? Do you try to prove to people that chocolate is better than butterscotch, for example? Austin has a legion of fans, and yet it's really fascinating that there is this hive mentality that must attack any other viewpoint - he's genuine and fun, dammit, and you better like him or else!! :lol:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:43 am But again, my point is why do you think it's necessary or important to do so?? The thread is specifically a question about what people think, and yet, some folks feel bound and determined to squash or belittle or "disprove" that other points of view are valid. I'd also note there's a certain irony in people who seem to love Austin's non-conformity and yet they practically demand conformity with respect to how Austin is perceived. Odd, that.
Because it's not your opinion if you think he's 'acting contrived or forced.' It would be your opinion if you find his personality annoying or irritating.

So just say you are annoyed or irritated. I've got no problem with that.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Volante wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:13 am
Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:43 am But again, my point is why do you think it's necessary or important to do so?? The thread is specifically a question about what people think, and yet, some folks feel bound and determined to squash or belittle or "disprove" that other points of view are valid. I'd also note there's a certain irony in people who seem to love Austin's non-conformity and yet they practically demand conformity with respect to how Austin is perceived. Odd, that.
Because it's not your opinion if you think he's 'acting contrived or forced.' It would be your opinion if you find his personality annoying or irritating.

So just say you are annoyed or irritated. I've got no problem with that.
No, you accept some opinions that you’ve read and you’re satisfied that something as ephemeral as “sincerity” can be conclusively established. But you’re apparently not satisfied that someone else may have come to a different viewpoint or that they’re unconvinced.

Edited to add that whether Austin is genuine or acting or whatever is also just part of the equation. The bigger picture of how this might influence future contestants is part of it, his sportsmanship, etc. And, everyone has their own parameters on how they evaluate a player - I just threw out a couple that came to mind first.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

There is a fine line between relaxing and having fun and putting together some pre-planned sketch to draw attention to yourself. If you are entertained by his antics, that's fine with me. They got old for me pretty quickly.
Golf

Post by Golf »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:10 am Austin's pretty much a broad base of knowledge, like Ken Jennings, David Madden, Seth Wilson, Brad Rutter, Julia Collins, Matt Jackson and Arthur Chu. Basically, we have the Mount Rushmore of spectacular champs...but doubled with the faces on there. With much of a broader base of knowledge, he does have his flaws. We witnessed a few categories that he missed out on, which raises questions for future Jeopardy! players that dare challenge him.

I wonder...do you think Watson would run circles against Austin?
IMO, his knowledge base is very good, but by no means great. There seems to be multiple TS's each game that have us scratching our heads.

Watson ran circles around Rutter and Jennings, of course it would run circles around Austin. It would run circles around any person.
joepozz
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by joepozz »

Austin is to Jeopardy what people like Colin Kaepernick and Odell Beckham Jr. are to the NFL. Planned, orchestrated demonstrations in the end zone are what the NFL says it is trying to eliminate (even though for some reason they keep showing them on TV). And Kaepernick and his fellow kneelers are alienating the NFL's fan base, driving down their attendance and TV ratings.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

joepozz wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:57 pm Austin is to Jeopardy what people like Colin Kaepernick and Odell Beckham Jr. are to the NFL. Planned, orchestrated demonstrations in the end zone are what the NFL says it is trying to eliminate (even though for some reason they keep showing them on TV). And Kaepernick and his fellow kneelers are alienating the NFL's fan base, driving down their attendance and TV ratings.
Except that these kinds of Jeopardy contestants increase viewership considerably, and the show's marketing channels (social media, commercials, etc.) are almost 100% Austin right now - they LOVE him, and don't care if people think his antics are awesome or horrible - they get people watching.

Jeopardy has done an amazing job over the last 30 years of keeping the format and questions as the real stars of the show. Compare that to many other game shows, which become solid "celebrity" editions or change format every few seasons to dig out of ratings slumps. 2 minutes an episode of Austin being a little wacky is just fine, even if it's not something I'd do.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

joepozz wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:57 pm Austin is to Jeopardy what people like Colin Kaepernick and Odell Beckham Jr. are to the NFL. Planned, orchestrated demonstrations in the end zone are what the NFL says it is trying to eliminate (even though for some reason they keep showing them on TV). And Kaepernick and his fellow kneelers are alienating the NFL's fan base, driving down their attendance and TV ratings.
If anything, they're back with a passion this season. The Eagles mimed a home run hit (while Trout was in the stands) and the Vikings played Duck Duck Goose.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Volante wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:06 pm
If anything, they're back with a passion this season. The Eagles mimed a home run hit (while Trout was in the stands) and the Vikings played Duck Duck Goose.
Duck, Duck, Grey duck.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

If you followed the NFL more closely, you'd know that group demonstrations were unbanned this season. And I have a hard time believing Beckham is driving down TV ratings, as he's very entertaining to watch, even if I do hate the Giants. :lol:
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Caboom wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:04 pm
If you followed the NFL more closely, you'd know that group demonstrations were unbanned this season. And I have a hard time believing Beckham is driving down TV ratings, as he's very entertaining to watch, even if I do hate the Giants. :lol:
Yes. The NFL eased their guidelines about celebrations. Beckham still managed to draw a penalty by simulating a dog urinating, so there are limits. Anything sexual in nature is still banned as well.

Beckham draws fans with his freakish athletic catches. People shouldn't be able to bend like Beckham and still be able to time a reception. Unfortunately, he is out for the season after breaking an ankle Sunday. And his team, one of only three winless teams in the NFL after five weeks, now needs to win eleven straight just to match last year's record.
Leander

Post by Leander »

The champ being interviewed on his experience on the show (so far):

http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/jeopardy ... rview.html
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:24 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:45 pm Do you think the Jeopardy! producers can do time travel and the reason they made Buzzy Cohen play as "Buzzy" instead of Austin is that they didn't want to have two contestants known as Austin in the ToC?
Or maybe you can because you seem to "know" Autsin's current streak ends in time for the taping of the TOC... :lol:
Sorry, I haven't been on the board in the past few days, but I just wanted to say that I have no knowledge about when Austin's streak ends. I would like it to last as long as possible, since I generally like most contestants.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I think there are a lot of us who wouldn't be able to stand completely still for an entire episode and probably have some kind of mannerism that we would do. Sure, Austin may be a little more expressive than most of the rest of us, but it's the thing he needs to do to deal with the situation, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Anybody who thinks Austin was rude or unsportsmanlike to his opponents needs to watch him give an enthusiastic high five to the victor in his final game. It is amazing how anybody who is different invokes such strong and at times ignorant opinions.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:52 pm Anybody who thinks Austin was rude or unsportsmanlike to his opponents needs to watch him give an enthusiastic high five to the victor in his final game. It is amazing how anybody who is different invokes such strong and at times ignorant opinions.
And prior to that, when Scarlett ran a category, he was pounding the lectern in applause.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:02 pm
Golf wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:52 pm Anybody who thinks Austin was rude or unsportsmanlike to his opponents needs to watch him give an enthusiastic high five to the victor in his final game. It is amazing how anybody who is different invokes such strong and at times ignorant opinions.
And prior to that, when Scarlett ran a category, he was pounding the lectern in applause.
↑↑↑ This. Haters gonna hate. Having been there in person, it was clear to me that he was just having fun. Combine that with dominating performances and people mistake that for having fun at others' expense. I hope tonight's show puts that to rest.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest