Wednesday, October 11, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by floridagator »

aicarrie1 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:11 am There is no room on Jeopardy for poor sportsmanship.
Welcome to the board, aicarrie1. I think we're going to get along fine. Please read my signature.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:02 pm Anyone else think "dap" (?) in the three letter clue category was way undervalued? (Anyone else even *heard* of "dap" as opposed to, say "fist-bump"?)
NHOI. Anyone else?
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

I also thought "Dap" was undervalued, and/or a miss by the writers. I like to think I'm fairly well-connected to pop culture (and I have an 11-year-old kid), but I've never heard of "dap" (as opposed to "fist bump").
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Wheatley wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:22 am I like learning new facts from jeopardy, like that the cuttlefish was the original source of sepia-colored ink, hence the Latin name "sepia".
Yup, that cuttlefish-sepia link was unknown to me too, but I got FJ on the basis of the nostalgia color angle. While we're on the subject, the Romans got several of their dyes from the sea. Tyrian purple aka porphyra came from a marine snail of the genus murex, which is why it was so scarce and reserved for royalty.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Never heard of dap.

Nothing for me on FJ.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Just to balance things a little, be it known that I got dap. And I'm old. (I wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.)

I had heard the cuttlefish sepia connection before, but I may have needed the nostalgia bit to parse this. With both, it only took a second.
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

John Boy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:48 pm
dhkendall wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:02 pm Anyone else think "dap" (?) in the three letter clue category was way undervalued? (Anyone else even *heard* of "dap" as opposed to, say "fist-bump"?)
NHOI. Anyone else?
I'd heard "dap" before, but when the picture came up my brain jumped to "giving knucks" (which I had also heard it called) and that led to my hoping that the three letter "nux" might be a thing. According to the Google key, it's not, so I missed this one.
PowerofHoodoo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:09 pm Never heard of dap.

Nothing for me on FJ.
I guessed "dap" because Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings and Daptone Records came to mind. I don't know if those names have anything to do with the gesture.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Volante wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:54 pm
Yes, somehow, but I was around 5% confidence on that.
I was at an even lower confidence, but that was the only three-letter word I could think of remotely connected to a "hand greeting."

Back in the 70s, "dap" was more commonly associated with very complicated and elaborately choreographed handshake routines with hand slaps, back of the hand slaps, elbow taps, wrist slides, etc. A dap could last 15 or 20 seconds. I think the custom originated in the African-American community and quickly became adopted by the younger "cool" generation. Still see them occasionally, but rarely hear them called a "dap" any more.

The simply fist bump didn't seem elaborate enough to qualify as what I knew as a dap, but it was the only thing I could come up with.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Wheatley wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:22 am I like learning new facts from jeopardy, like that the cuttlefish was the original source of sepia-colored ink, hence the Latin name "sepia".
My first job was as a darkroom technician for the family photo business, so "sepia" was instant. But NEVER knew it cam from Latin for a type of fish.

I had a prof once who said "the trouble with keeping an open mind is that sometimes you get stuff in it." Ain't that the truth.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Jane Austin = Hampshire is pavlovian enough for top box, huh?

Also saw no way to get "rose" at $400. There are lots of things that can be a red symbol.

NHO "dap". Didn't know fist bumps had another name. My only miss in the category.

Lach Trash: All Things Considered, "Lift Every Voice and Sing". Ran that category. Can we poll Lift Every Voice?

Beautyrest is Simmons?!? I was damn sure it was Serta. This is why I never trust my memory.

Why wasn't "King" BMS'd for "California King"?

Color that conveys nostalgia? Sepia, but that doesn't sound remotely latin for a sea creature. I got nothing, it's probably gonna be ultra obscure something or other.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:57 pm Jane Austin = Hampshire is pavlovian enough for top box, huh?
I think the clue said "she," and I know it said she was born in 1775. That plus "AU" was plenty for me without Hampshire to confirm British origin.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:49 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:57 pm Jane Austin = Hampshire is pavlovian enough for top box, huh?
I think the clue said "she," and I know it said she was born in 1775. That plus "AU" was plenty for me without Hampshire to confirm British origin.
Whereas I was completely stumped on "author whose name has an AU in it".
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:56 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:49 pm
Whereas I was completely stumped on "author whose name has an AU in it".
Come to think of it, I didn't need to be spotted the first two letters either.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

floridagator wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:42 am Please read my signature.
How about changing "we" to "I"?
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

floridagator wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:42 am
aicarrie1 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:11 am There is no room on Jeopardy for poor sportsmanship.
Welcome to the board, aicarrie1. I think we're going to get along fine. Please read my signature.
I find it interesting that a Trump supporter would be so offended by excessive celebration.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing