What do you guys think of Austin Rogers so far? [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: What do you guys think of Austin Rogers so far? [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance »

sad to see his run come to an end...might have to go to new york city and some pints at his bar..i live only 3 hrs from new york city and.have never been there before....i really had no desire until now
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:02 pm
Golf wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:52 pm Anybody who thinks Austin was rude or unsportsmanlike to his opponents needs to watch him give an enthusiastic high five to the victor in his final game. It is amazing how anybody who is different invokes such strong and at times ignorant opinions.
And prior to that, when Scarlett ran a category, he was pounding the lectern in applause.
All of this. I've never seen a contestant so enthusiastic about an opponent's success - and especially an opponent who dethroned them as champion. That was genuine, sincere admiration and congratulations for Scarlett's victory. Class, right there.

Scarlett: amazing performance, right from the first category. This household has been an enthusiastic Austin supporter all along, but we were in awe of you as you took control of the game and stayed cool and sure of yourself even as Austin came back to make it a nail-biter. Retro good luck for tomorrow!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

After seeing Austin in 13 games I get why J! made its "Who Will It Be?" promo teaser. The string of games lived up to the hype with a memorable contestant that certainly had people talking.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:41 pm After seeing Austin in 13 games I get why J! made its "Who Will It Be?" promo teaser. The string of games lived up to the hype with a memorable contestant that certainly had people talking.
There was a discussion today on the Reddit sub where one of the moderators mentioned that traffic had doubled since Austin's run began. I hope that some of the casual viewers who were lured in keep watching.\

And what a way for it to end, too. Many people assumed that Austin would eventually be done in by his betting, but he was simply outplayed. The duel between Austin and Scarlett in DJ literally had me on the edge of my seat.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Glad to see him stay calm, make a great comeback attempt, and be a good sport in defeat.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Golf wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:52 pm Anybody who thinks Austin was rude or unsportsmanlike to his opponents needs to watch him give an enthusiastic high five to the victor in his final game. It is amazing how anybody who is different invokes such strong and at times ignorant opinions.
And prior to that, when Scarlett ran a category, he was pounding the lectern in applause.
I thought he was channeling Kruschev ... :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I'm just looking forward to what he'll do as a tribute to Cindy Stowell during the ToC. If he had to go, at least he lost to a redhead. Given how many people on twitter seem to believe that redheads don't belong on television, I'm glad whenever any of us do well.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:25 am
I thought he was channeling Kruschev ... :)
I finally learned how to spell that name for Sporcle. Here's the trick. Every time you have a plausible opportunity to stick in an h, do it. Khrushchev.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:21 am I'm just looking forward to what he'll do as a tribute to Cindy Stowell during the ToC. If he had to go, at least he lost to a redhead. Given how many people on twitter seem to believe that redheads don't belong on television, I'm glad whenever any of us do well.
I thought redheads belonged on TV but not in the movies. It's the David Caruso rule. :D
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:21 am I'm just looking forward to what he'll do as a tribute to Cindy Stowell during the ToC. If he had to go, at least he lost to a redhead. Given how many people on twitter seem to believe that redheads don't belong on television, I'm glad whenever any of us do well.
People think redheads don't belong on TV? WTF. :shock:
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Just this week on "Survivor," a contestant said she'd never met an honest redhead. No clue where the sentiment comes from, some people just need to find a type of discrimination that's still PC I guess.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Wheatley wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:37 am Just this week on "Survivor," a contestant said she'd never met an honest redhead. No clue where the sentiment comes from, some people just need to find a type of discrimination that's still PC I guess.
I've definitely heard the "soulless ginger" thing, but usually as a joke. I thought serious belief in evil redheads went out with witch trials.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Says the person openly disdainful of anyone who thought that Austin was "The One" at the start of his run.

Moreover, people's opinions often change over time and we can all see the same thing but perceive it differently. So, it's still funny to see the insistence that if everyone didn't love Austin's unique personality, they were wrong.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:14 am So, it's still funny to see the insistence that if everyone didn't love Austin's unique personality, they were wrong.
People are free to dislike other people even if their reasons for disliking those people are wrong. ;)
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For the purposes of this thread, it's point of emphasis that Austin was a total sportsman throughout his last regular season game. The end segment was classic.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

KellyLasiter wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:41 am
Wheatley wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:37 am Just this week on "Survivor," a contestant said she'd never met an honest redhead. No clue where the sentiment comes from, some people just need to find a type of discrimination that's still PC I guess.
I've definitely heard the "soulless ginger" thing, but usually as a joke. I thought serious belief in evil redheads went out with witch trials.
My theory is that hostility toward redheads has a lot to do with Napoleon Dynamite, Pennywise, and Carrot Top.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

zerobandwidth wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:51 am
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:14 am So, it's still funny to see the insistence that if everyone didn't love Austin's unique personality, they were wrong.
People are free to dislike other people even if their reasons for disliking those people are wrong. ;)
Fair enough! :lol:

I did find this thread interesting because, as an attorney, I see this insistence on people thinking that their viewpoint is the only reasonable one all the time. Of course, if we were all more accepting of diverging viewpoints and we all made more of an effort to see things as other people do, I'd probably have to find a more productive way to make a living!
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:40 pm
Fair enough! :lol:

I did find this thread interesting because, as an attorney, I see this insistence on people thinking that their viewpoint is the only reasonable one all the time. Of course, if we were all more accepting of diverging viewpoints and we all made more of an effort to see things as other people do, I'd probably have to find a more productive way to make a living!
Every discussion board in the universe is an exercise in this philosophy. The question of where to draw the line between reasonable and unreasonable behavior and advocacy is basically the theory of civilization and everything.

Just look at the fundamental differences between the judicial systems in the US and in the UK and you can see how even your profession struggles with these questions.

I'm not even sure 12 people could agree on a very rough outline of what does and doesn't constitute murder. So there needs to be a balance in how much we accept diverging viewpoints.

In this case, I think (and it's only my opinion, of course), that Austin seems like a good guy, and I appreciate his sportsmanship. For me, his antics during game play generally didn't distract from the game. But if everyone hammed up the introductions like he did, it would get tedious very, very quickly. And in general, I think (again, only my opinion) that for Jeopardy to work the way it does, there's almost no room for any kind of backtalk or reaction between questions (which doesn't mean everyone needs to emulate Sad Robot or Watson or some kind of emotionless ideal).
Don't Think Twice
Contributor

Post by Don't Think Twice »

Hi all. I've been reading the board for years. First time posting. By pure serendipity, I just happened to come across this appearance by Austin on Cash Cab in 2010. At one point, the host/driver looks at the camera and says, "This guy knows EVERYTHING!" Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI5WTIN ... e=youtu.be
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Anachronism wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:44 pm In this case, I think (and it's only my opinion, of course), that Austin seems like a good guy, and I appreciate his sportsmanship. For me, his antics during game play generally didn't distract from the game. But if everyone hammed up the introductions like he did, it would get tedious very, very quickly. And in general, I think (again, only my opinion) that for Jeopardy to work the way it does, there's almost no room for any kind of backtalk or reaction between questions (which doesn't mean everyone needs to emulate Sad Robot or Watson or some kind of emotionless ideal).
FWIW, I've just watched his interview on the Tonight Show, and he explained that he only started doing the mimes (and waves etc) because of the length of the champion's introduction. Johnny Gilbert takes longer to introduce the champion because he lists the number of wins and total money, and Austin said that in all it's about ten seconds staring at the red light with a fixed smile, which feels weird. I seem to remember Buzzy saying something similar as the reason why he started brushing his shoulders during the intros.