2017 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by seaborgium »

OrangeSAM wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:58 am
Johnblue wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:34 pm Will all the awful Harvey Weinstein allegations end up on J? Pretty sordid stuff.
But at least I know now how to keep Harvey Fierstein and Harvey Weinstein straight.
Well, you can keep one of them straight.
9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 9021amyers »

Johnblue wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:38 pm Really, it's soccer; who cares.
After last night, nobody: soccer in America is probably dead until we likely host the World Cup again in 2026.

In fact, international sports competitions in general are probably dead in the United States for the next decade.
Last edited by 9021amyers on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:56 am
OrangeSAM wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:58 am
Johnblue wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:34 pm Will all the awful Harvey Weinstein allegations end up on J? Pretty sordid stuff.
But at least I know now how to keep Harvey Fierstein and Harvey Weinstein straight.
Well, you can keep one of them straight.
Well done, sir.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

9021amyers wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:50 am
After last night, nobody: soccer in America is probably dead until we likely host the World Cup again in 2026.

In fact, international sports competitions in general are probably dead in the United States for the next decade.
There's still the USWNT, so, two years? The 2015 final has the second highest TV rating for a soccer game in the US, and the highest WITH the US. (the highest game in general, barely beating it, was the 2014 Men's final with Argentina/Germany)

Also, the USWNT has won three of them compared to the USMNT's...*flips pages*...err...none.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Porg porg porg porg. Porg porg. Porg porg porg? Porg!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Volante wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:06 am

There's still the USWNT, so, two years? The 2015 final has the second highest TV rating for a soccer game in the US, and the highest WITH the US. (the highest game in general, barely beating it, was the 2014 Men's final with Argentina/Germany)

Also, the USWNT has won three of them compared to the USMNT's...*flips pages*...err...none.
The economic fortunes of American soccer are not driven by the women’s national team, and there’s less enthusiasm over their successes now compared to 1999 or even 2012, since they are no longer considered underdogs. As was the case at the Olympics last year, it’s only notable when the women’s team loses.

If one wants to be rational, the USMNT’s failure to qualify shouldn’t mean the collapse of the sport in this country. Chile and the Netherlands also failed to qualify after advancing to the knockout rounds in 2010 and 2014, for much of the same reasons as the U.S. (complacency in developing players, over-reliance on an aging core), but no one is thinking those countries’ programs are now dead forever.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

9021amyers wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:29 am
Volante wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:06 am

The economic fortunes of American soccer are not driven by the women’s national team, and there’s less enthusiasm over their successes now compared to 1999 or even 2012, since they are no longer considered underdogs. As was the case at the Olympics last year, it’s only notable when the women’s team loses.

If one wants to be rational, the USMNT’s failure to qualify shouldn’t mean the collapse of the sport in this country. Chile and the Netherlands also failed to qualify after advancing to the knockout rounds in 2010 and 2014, for much of the same reasons as the U.S. (complacency in developing players, over-reliance on an aging core), but no one is thinking those countries’ programs are now dead forever.
It won't mean the collapse of the sport in this country: it's too well entrenched from youth leagues up for that. What it will mean, or should mean, is a thorough shake-up of the US Soccer Federation from top to bottom. I expect to see, at the very least, a new coach and a lot of new faces on the USMNT. It may also cause a re-evaluation of how we develop talent in this country, though I'm less confident about that.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I just saw something on 60 Minutes on 10/1 about a young soccer player from Hershey, PA who plays for Dortmund club and I had high hopes that he would get us into the tournament but no luck.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Johnblue wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:01 pm I just saw something on 60 Minutes on 10/1 about a young soccer player from Hershey, PA who plays for Dortmund club and I had high hopes that he would get us into the tournament but no luck.
Christian Pulisic, and he did the best he could.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Album by the artist Pink: Beautiful Trauma with song "What About Us"

Real name of Pink: Alecia Moore

Pink's husband: Carey Hart (retired motorcycle racer and motocross athlete)
Their children: Willow & Jameson

Some previous albums by Pink:

The Truth About Love
Funhouse
Missundaztood
SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SweepingDeveloper »

We in America have our oldest elected leader at age 70, Donald Trump.

In Austria, they are set to have the world's youngest elected leader at age 31, Sebastian Kurz, according to BBC. (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41627586)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

SweepingDeveloper wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:48 pm We in America have our oldest elected leader at age 70, Donald Trump.

In Austria, they are set to have the world's youngest elected leader at age 31, Sebastian Kurz, according to BBC. (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41627586)
This makes me wonder, who is the oldest elected leader in the world? Your quote mentions Trump, but per the wording, it makes it sound like he's only the oldest ever elected in America (which he is), it doesn't say who the oldest elected int he world is.

I heard somewhere that the youngest was Kim Jong-un (barring the fact that he wasn't really "elected"), and it looks like he was until now. (Kim is between 33 and 35, depending on whose records you take. I think he was 28 when he took the job, which I think is still a record*.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

dhkendall wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:08 pm This makes me wonder, who is the oldest elected leader in the world?
Took a quick glance at the Wikipedia list of oldest leaders. Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe is 93. Beji Caid Essebsi of Tunisia took office in 2014 at age 88. I'd be surprised if that isn't the record for elected leaders.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:06 pm
dhkendall wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:08 pm This makes me wonder, who is the oldest elected leader in the world?
Took a quick glance at the Wikipedia list of oldest leaders. Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe is 93. Beji Caid Essebsi of Tunisia took office in 2014 at age 88. I'd be surprised if that isn't the record for elected leaders.
Interesting to see on that list the Chairman of the Presidium etc. of North Korea (head of government, I suppose) is the 4th oldest on the list, and Kim Jung Un (head of state) is the second youngest on the list of youngest.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SweepingDeveloper »

dhkendall wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:08 pmYour quote mentions Trump, but per the wording, it makes it sound like he's only the oldest ever elected in America (which he is), it doesn't say who the oldest elected int he world is.
Yeah, I can see how confusing it sounded.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Trump is the oldest to win a first term. Reagan was 73 when he won the second time.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Uncommon Type: Some Stories by Tom Hanks

The famous actor has written a collection of short stories that each feature a photo of a typewriter in Hanks' collection.

An ad for a signing event: https://stores.barnesandnoble.com/event/9780061874377-0
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:48 am It won't mean the collapse of the sport in this country: it's too well entrenched from youth leagues up for that. What it will mean, or should mean, is a thorough shake-up of the US Soccer Federation from top to bottom. I expect to see, at the very least, a new coach and a lot of new faces on the USMNT. It may also cause a re-evaluation of how we develop talent in this country, though I'm less confident about that.
Not to mention the popularity of MLS with both average and total attendance continuing to climb. I don't think the National's team failure is really going to affect the sport much in the U.S. from a popularity standpoint.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Speaking of the MLS, the Columbus Crew is apparently moving to Austin.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:45 am Speaking of the MLS, the Columbus Crew is apparently moving to Austin.
Wow. All I can say is that a few USL teams along the Ohio River (read: FC Cinci, Lou City FC) will be following this story closely. If Columbus does move to Austin, that opens the door wide for one of them (or both, though unlikely) to make the jump to MLS as the league continues to expand.