Discussion about old games in the Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

JeuParti
Contributor

Discussion about old games in the Archive

Post by JeuParti »

Hi all!

I've created this discussion so that there is a spot for me, and anyone else for that matter, to post questions and discussions about clues from old games in the archive. I've had a lot of fun in the past year going through some old games in my free time, but as I am not a native American and fairly new to the trivia world, there are sometimes clues, particularly in the old games, that I need some help with. A lot of people here have answered previous questions and I've learned a lot!

So here goes, with my next question. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help me out!

Presidential Trivia:
After the deaths of his wife & mother, this "Due from N.Y." worked on ranches in North Dakota

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5754

Can anyone explain the "due from N.Y." part of the clue? I googled it and couldn't find anything related to Teddy Roosevelt. Thanks!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Discussion about old games in the Archive

Post by opusthepenguin »

Apparently he wrote something called "Due from N.Y." or maybe "Due from New York" but Google doesn't seem to know about it. I would've gotten this on a DD or FJ. TR's the best guess for a president with a New York connection and a rugged lifestyle. Add in the death of a wife and I like that answer even more. I'm not sure if Barry used similar reasoning or if he somehow actually knew the right response. I doubt I'd have rung in to voice my hunch.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

It might be a typo by the archivist and it was supposed to say "Dude from N.Y." which would fit the clue a lot better since it was about a ranch.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:47 pm It might be a typo by the archivist and it was supposed to say "Dude from N.Y." which would fit the clue a lot better since it was about a ranch.
Yes, a typo that is my fault and I have fixed it, thanks.
JeuParti
Contributor

Post by JeuParti »

Hi all!

I'd like to discuss this clue from a 1988 game:

BODIES OF WATER $2,700 (Daily Double): 2 of the 3 main passages into the Mediterranean

One of the correct responses is the Strait of Bosporus (others are Strait of Gilbraltar and Suez Canal).

My question is: Would the Dardanelles also be an acceptable response instead of Strait of Bosporus? It links the Aegean Sea and the Sea of Marmara and is recognized by many as the link between Asia and Europe. Thoughts? Thanks!
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

JeuParti wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:57 pm BODIES OF WATER $2,700 (Daily Double): 2 of the 3 main passages into the Mediterranean

One of the correct responses is the Strait of Bosporus (others are Strait of Gilbraltar and Suez Canal).

My question is: Would the Dardanelles also be an acceptable response instead of Strait of Bosporus? It links the Aegean Sea and the Sea of Marmara and is recognized by many as the link between Asia and Europe. Thoughts? Thanks!
Yes, the correct response as listed in J! Archive specifically includes the Dardanelles:

“the Straits of Gibraltar & the Straits of Bosporus (or the Dardanelles) (& the Suez Canal)”
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

It sounds like they were considering the Bosporus and Dardanelles as a single passage because of their proximity.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:30 pm It sounds like they were considering the Bosporus and Dardanelles as a single passage because of their proximity.
I think it's more that if one of them is the passage to the Mediterranean, then the other one isn't. They can't both be.
JeuParti
Contributor

Post by JeuParti »

Hi all, I have a question about this old FJ from 1988:

GOVERNMENT: The use of civil service examinations began over 1000 years ago in this country

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5265

The correct response is....(spoiler comin' up):

China

Is there something about China in the 10th century that should have led us to come up with China as the response to this clue?

Thanks for your help with this discussion!
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

JeuParti wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:44 pm Hi all, I have a question about this old FJ from 1988:

GOVERNMENT: The use of civil service examinations began over 1000 years ago in this country

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5265

The correct response is....(spoiler comin' up):

China

Is there something about China in the 10th century that should have led us to come up with China as the response to this clue?

Thanks for your help with this discussion!
China is fairly famous for having exams like that, going way back. I couldn't have told you 10th century specifically, but it was a thing. There was a god of tests (which I found out while in college, in possession of a few too many mythology books, and tempted to play all the angles, haha).
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Also this is related to the etymology of “mandarin” in the sense of “powerful official or senior bureaucrat“:
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/mandarin

According to this web page, the exams were established in the seventh century (not the tenth).
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Mathew5000 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:21 pm Also this is related to the etymology of “mandarin” in the sense of “powerful official or senior bureaucrat“:
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/mandarin

According to this web page, the exams were established in the seventh century (not the tenth).
Ah, and I guess the clue does say "over 1000 years ago," not "exactly 1000 years ago"! :D
JeuParti
Contributor

Post by JeuParti »

Hi all,

I found this rather tough Final Jeopardy in a 1989 game:

FAMOUS NAMES:
His father, whose first & middle names were also Charles Augustus, was a Minnesota congressman

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4931

It was a triple stumper and I'm wondering, without spoiling by providing the response, how we were supposed to find the correct response based on the limited information provided? Just thought I'd ask if anyone sees more of a lead into a response here than I do. Thanks!
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

JeuParti wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:35 pm Hi all,

FAMOUS NAMES:
His father, whose first & middle names were also Charles Augustus, was a Minnesota congressman

It was a triple stumper and I'm wondering, without spoiling by providing the response, how we were supposed to find the correct response based on the limited information provided? Just thought I'd ask if anyone sees more of a lead into a response here than I do. Thanks!
Spoiler
Lindbergh is a well known Minnesotan. In fact, one of the terminals at Minneapolis-St. Paul International is named after him. If you piece together "Minnesota" + "Charles", you get to Lindbergh. This is one, though, that could lend itself to overthinking if you think a pseudonym is needed here.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

FAMOUS NAMES:

My thoughts:
Spoiler
You are right that there is little to go on. If you are like me and know that Lindbergh is Charles Augustus Lindbergh then it's easy. If Lindbergh had come up on my shows I was prepared to either give his full name or to have gone the short way with C.A. Lindbergh.

Without that knowledge and no time frame it's guess a famous Charles who could have had that middle name.

Charles Bronson - That was not his birth name.
Charles Schulz was born in Minnesota so nice trap and very reasonable guess
Charles Manson? Not likely

I think it's possible to brainstorm the right Charles, but I've seen easier clues about Lindbergh on the show not have much success.

YEKIOYD comes up on the J! Board and it would seem to fit this clue most likely.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

FAMOUS NAMES:

You have to know it or at least suspect it. The last name that immediately popped into my mind just sounded right. I vaguely recalled this person occasionally being referred to by his full name. And Minnesota fit that recollection more or less. I wasn't 100% sure, but I also wasn't surprised when I discovered I was right. So this isn't quite a straight knowledge YEKIOD. But there also isn't a blatant TOM that let's you in through the side door when you had no really inkling of this fact.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:02 am You have to know it or at least suspect it. The last name that immediately popped into my mind just sounded right. I vaguely recalled this person occasionally being referred to by his full name. And Minnesota fit that recollection more or less. I wasn't 100% sure, but I also wasn't surprised when I discovered I was right. So this isn't quite a straight knowledge YEKIOD. But there also isn't a blatant TOM that let's you in through the side door when you had no really inkling of this fact.
So you have to grasp at straws and take completely random shots in the dark. Sounds like a YEKIOYD to me.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

Charles Lindbergh Sr. was actually a quite prominent figure in his time - not just a congressman but an especially opinionated and outspoken one.

Of course, "his time" was still seven decades before this game, so I agree that this was not an easy FJ clue and was maybe better suited for the Tournament of Champions. Charles Lindbergh had only been dead for fifteen years, though, so there might have been more expectation that people would remember his Minnesota origins. Charles Schulz is indeed potential negbait, but it is fairly well-known that his middle initial was ("is" at the time) M. (for Monroe, according to Wikipedia).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

According to Wikipedia, the father's middle name was August, not Augustus.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles ... _Lindbergh
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:10 pm Sounds like a YEKIOYD to me.
Everything in life is YEKIOYD.