Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by triviawayne »

Woppy T wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:44 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:08 pm
Woppy T wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:05 am Clearly the writers were going for the Fugitive, but technically speaking, is there no correct answer to this question? The Fugitive was both a tv show that became a movie AND a movie that became a tv show.
Just because the title was previously used doesn't mean it "became" the show.
Sure it does. It was much more than just using the same title.
Which "The Fugitive" movie are you talking about that became a TV show? Year of release?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:26 pm
Woppy T wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:05 am Clearly the writers were going for the Fugitive, but technically speaking, is there no correct answer to this question? The Fugitive was both a tv show that became a movie AND a movie that became a tv show.
Which "The Fugitive" movie are you talking about that became a TV show? Year of release?
Harrison Ford movie 1993. This was later: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0247097/?re ... lmg_act_36
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:37 pm
Harrison Ford movie 1993. This was later: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0247097/?re ... lmg_act_36
That movie didn't become a series, the 1960s series became the Harrison Ford movie, and the 2000s series was a remake.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Fleeboy wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:03 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:58 pm All of the questions from the 9/29 single run episode:
Spoiler
$30,000
25-year-old Harriet Weaver used her last lifeline, her boyfriend.
Spoiler
I have a problem with this question. Clint Eastwood pulled the trigger after saying "well, do ya, punk?" but his gun was empty, so it wasn't really fired.
Yup, I'm with you on that one. I went to youtube to double check before seeing your post: https://youtu.be/8Xjr2hnOHiM
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:09 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:37 pm

That movie didn't become a series, the 1960s series became the Harrison Ford movie, and the 2000s series was a remake.
In the context of the clue, "became" means "was remade as." The 1960s TV show became (was remade as) the movie with Harrison Ford, which then became (was remade as) the TV show with Tim Daly.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Woppy T wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:24 am In the context of the clue, "became" means "was remade as." The 1960s TV show became (was remade as) the movie with Harrison Ford, which then became (was remade as) the TV show with Tim Daly.
The 2002 series (I actually watched a few episodes of it...meh) wasn't a remake of the movie though. It and the movie were both remakes of the '60s show. The movie didn't "become" a TV show because it already was. Friday Night Lights wasn't, Buffy wasn't, Fame wasn't.

Put it this way: Miami Vice was an '80s TV show. It then "became" a 2006 movie. News came down in August that there's a rebooted TV show in the works that might premiere next season (god why). If it does, would you honestly describe it as a remake of the movie?
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:24 am
Woppy T wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:24 am In the context of the clue, "became" means "was remade as." The 1960s TV show became (was remade as) the movie with Harrison Ford, which then became (was remade as) the TV show with Tim Daly.
The 2002 series (I actually watched a few episodes of it...meh) wasn't a remake of the movie though. It and the movie were both remakes of the '60s show. The movie didn't "become" a TV show because it already was. Friday Night Lights wasn't, Buffy wasn't, Fame wasn't.

Put it this way: Miami Vice was an '80s TV show. It then "became" a 2006 movie. News came down in August that there's a rebooted TV show in the works that might premiere next season (god why). If it does, would you honestly describe it as a remake of the movie?
I'd say the 2002 series was a remake of both, but get that not everyone (or anyone) agrees. The Miami Vice example is interesting. If it had been a huge, Oscar winning hit like the Fugitive, then I'd be inclined to see the new series as a remake of both.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Woppy T wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:25 pm

I'd say the 2002 series was a remake of both, but get that not everyone (or anyone) agrees. The Miami Vice example is interesting. If it had been a huge, Oscar winning hit like the Fugitive, then I'd be inclined to see the new series as a remake of both.
What do awards or even popularity have to do with it???????

If any band ever "remakes" Sweet Child O'Mine, would you say they are remaking a Sheryl Crow song or would you be like the other 7 billion people on earth who would say they have remade a Guns N' Roses song?
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:46 pm

If any band ever "remakes" Sweet Child O'Mine, would you say they are remaking a Sheryl Crow song or would you be like the other 7 billion people on earth who would say they have remade a Guns N' Roses song?
Apples and oranges. Obviously the artist that writes and performs the original will usually be the one most associated with it. And I already conceded that I'm probably alone in my thinking so you can give it a rest.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Woppy T wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:56 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:46 pm

Apples and oranges. Obviously the artist that writes and performs the original will usually be the one most associated with it. And I already conceded that I'm probably alone in my thinking so you can give it a rest.
nope, both apples
Golf

Post by Golf »

The record speed of a golf ball is no longer 217mph. While it was obvious the answer could not have been any of the other three, had the contestant missed it he could have good reason for protest. As it played out, he had to use the 50/50 which certainly could have changed how the final question played out.

After some cursory checking, it appears as Guinness still has 217 as the record, but at the long drive finals the last few years (which have been aired nationally live) this number has been surpassed more than once. And the measuring device would have been Trackman on all occasions. And I don't believe the question mentioned Guinness at all.

Just another case of a really crappy question in a show now filled with them that used to have really solid material.

/golf rant
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I am thoroughly enjoying Leslie Shannon's game today.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ElendilPickle wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:55 pm I am thoroughly enjoying Leslie Shannon's game today.
Yes, that was fun and entertaining. Here is some more about it.

Leslie Shannon is another for the J! to Millionaire path:
Spoiler
$10,000
Leslie had all of her lifelines remaining.
Next:
Spoiler
Leslie knew enough about states joining when to lock in 48-star.
Next:
Spoiler
$20,000
Next:
Spoiler
Leslie was familiar enough with colors in all three candies to know orange & yellow without using a lifeline.
Next:
Spoiler
$30,000
Next:
Spoiler
Leslie had backpacking experiences in Europe to be quite sure it was Dublin.
Next:
Spoiler
$50,000
Next:
Spoiler
Leslie brought down her +1 friend and they decided to use the 50:50 and it left A & D.
Next:
Spoiler
They had Home Alone pegged for 1990/91 and Culkin about 10 at the time. They thought J-Law was 25 (she's 27) and that Paquin (she's 35) had to be older.
Next:
Spoiler
Leslie was correct with A: Culkin (37) & Gosling (36)
Next:
Spoiler
Next:
Spoiler
Since it was a free guess Leslie decided not to use the ATA.
Next:
Spoiler
Leslie narrowed it down to tulips & apples and thought an apple would not have "Bloody" in its name. Tulips final answer.
Next:
Spoiler
The show ended with Leslie leaving with $50,000.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

ElendilPickle wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:55 pm I am thoroughly enjoying Leslie Shannon's game today.
Me too! She has an infectiousness about her that is charming.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Can someone please post highlights from Kristin Sausville's game on Tuesday? Thanks.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

ElendilPickle wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:09 pm Can someone please post highlights from Kristin Sausville's game on Tuesday? Thanks.
Yes, please! There was some kind of network dispute about it here, and thus it doesn't air on any of my local stations. :x
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

ElendilPickle wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:09 pm Can someone please post highlights from Kristin Sausville's game on Tuesday? Thanks.
I don't have any inside info, but in the weekly promo video she is wearing two different outfits. So better make that Tuesday and Wednesday.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

RichmondJ wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:33 am
I don't have any inside info, but in the weekly promo video she is wearing two different outfits. So better make that Tuesday and Wednesday.
I also noticed that.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This is the Kristin Sausville portion of the Tuesday show: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... dPeDA/view
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:49 pm
This is the Kristin Sausville portion of the Tuesday show: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... dPeDA/view
Awesome, thanks!