Monday, October 16, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Monday, October 16, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DBear wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:00 pm Yeah, that. Briefly flirted w/pets.com, but even the dot.coms didn't make that kind of money in their heyday.
I figured it was going to be one of the .coms, but couldn't pick one off the top of my head. Enron flitted through my mind briefly, but I rejected it as not fitting. I truly had nothing to guess.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:30 pm And this season's trend of easy-peasy FJ's continues. Another one that I (and I'm sure many others) solved well before Alex finished reading the clue. I'll take it, though, extending my streak of correct FJ's to 9.

In the "foreign phrases" category, there was a huge leap in difficulty from "mano a mano" at $1600 to "Sinn Fein" at $2K (although the latter was certainly fair game for the bottom box).
Not so fast... ;)
Giving it a moment's thought, sure I can tell what mano means - problem is I never have before and always sort of connected the clue phrase with man to man. So a miss for me...
While Gerry Adams is pavlov for Sinn Fein - no, I'm not Irish.
Yes, Enron seemed obvious.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Enron was an instaget. I did briefly consider Kmart as their bankruptcy was in the same general time period but Enron seemed clearly what they were going for.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I learned that Sinn Fein meant "ourselves alone" from an old episode of Columbo.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Odd wording on that last DD - " ' The Rise and Fall of' this numerical abomination" - I got to Third Reich without knowing the book, but stood mulling it over for a while

Agree that the TS were perplexing, especially when these players were scooping up Mossad and Babbage

I also went West instead of East on that Africa clue, but I didn't lose $2000 at home

Jayanthi's buzzing technique looks all wrong to me with the extraneous arm movements
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

DBear wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:00 pm Yeah, that. Briefly flirted w/pets.com, but even the dot.coms didn't make that kind of money in their heyday.
I fell into the dot.com trap. "Rich in 2000, bankrupt in 2001" made my mind race straight to the different dot.com companies, and ultimately went with pets.com. As nicely as the dot.coms fit that timeline, yeah, probably should've paid more attention to the "$100 billion" part.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

For the first (?) clue in the COOKIE JAR category, I reflexively answered "Who are the Girl Guides" because that's what they are known as here, but I negged as I didn't think the flavours mentioned (tagalongs, trefoils, and s'mores) were offered by the Girl Guides (I just remember my daughter selling chocolate sandwich (like an oreo) and vanilla sandwich (like a golden oreo). But can anyone confirm that the Girl Guides (anywhere) do sell these flavours like their American cousins in Girl Scouts?

I actually waffled between Enron and American Airlines for Final, thinking the year might've hinted at 9/11 and I know it took a big toll on AA, as two (?) of their planes were affected and were probably the hardest hit airline due to that event. But I figured it might've taken them a few months to go bankrupt (if that happened) since 9/11 was relatively late in the year, so Enron it was.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

40 right.

Friends (5), Newbery (3), "M"porium (1), Caught (5), Hand (2), Cookie (3)
Numbers (4), Tech (1), Brits (4), Non-IA Countries (5), History (3), Phrases (4)

Lach Trash: Phoebe, Beatrix Potter, Sinn Fein

Instaget FJ.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:31 pm
I actually waffled between Enron and American Airlines for Final, thinking the year might've hinted at 9/11 and I know it took a big toll on AA, as two (?) of their planes were affected and were probably the hardest hit airline due to that event. But I figured it might've taken them a few months to go bankrupt (if that happened) since 9/11 was relatively late in the year, so Enron it was.
American and United each had 2 of the hijacked planes on 9/11. Anyway, none of the airlines has ever come close to $100B in revenues. The leader in 2014-15 (which appears to be the latest period available on Wikipedia) was American with about $41 billion. And that's after over a decade of post-9/11 inflation, and at a time when airlines are doing much better.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:31 pm For the first (?) clue in the COOKIE JAR category, I reflexively answered "Who are the Girl Guides" because that's what they are known as here, but I negged as I didn't think the flavours mentioned (tagalongs, trefoils, and s'mores) were offered by the Girl Guides (I just remember my daughter selling chocolate sandwich (like an oreo) and vanilla sandwich (like a golden oreo). But can anyone confirm that the Girl Guides (anywhere) do sell these flavours like their American cousins in Girl Scouts?
There's also apparently a Chocolate Mint in Canada, which is similar to our Thin Mints. The Australian version has "traditional" (vanilla), shortbread, and mini chocolate chip cookies. New Zealand does original, choc, and choc dipped. In Singapore it's chocolate cream, chocolate mint, and chocolate malt (and they come in tins).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Count me as another who pavloved 2001 with 9/11 and went with an airline. I had the same reaction as Jayanthi when hearing the word "financial"... "oh, that."
earendel

Post by earendel »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:04 pm Coryat: $20,200
DDs: 2/3
FJ!: :mrgreen:

85% of all Mallomars are sold in the New York metropolitan area, per The Other Wiki. Every single one is produced at the Dad's Cookies factory, about a 20 minute drive from where I live in Toronto, ON. But they aren't sold here. I've only ever heard of similar cookies called Dare Whippets or Viva Puffs. Definitely one for the weekly poll. "I have heard of Mallomars", and "Mallomars aren't sold where I live, but something similar is".

Instaget FJ!.
My only knowledge of Mallomars comes from the Harvard Lampoon parody Bored of the Rings:
"Goodgulf snatched the ball away from Pepsi and glowered. 'This,' he said harshly, 'is no plaything. This ball is the wondrous mallomar, the magic whatchamacallit of the elves, long thought lost in the Sheet Metal Age.'
..."'With mallomar the Old Ones probed the secrets of the future and looked deep into the hearts of men.'"
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

For me the big laugh of the game was when Alex revealed Emily's FJ response:

She wrote down "Diapers.com" before crossing it out and writing "Enron." AT: "Nice change" (of diapers?) I don't know whether he was conscious of the nice word play. I haven't seen anyone on this thread mention it either, so maybe I'm the only one who turned his innocent comment into a joke?

Re FJ: I had no idea the Enron scandal was that long ago (my how time flies when you're having fun). But it was the only company I could think of that might fit the parameters of the clue. Wrote it down in the first 5 seconds of the think music and never looked back.

Congrats to Manny on a nice, solid second win.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I missed Enron. It was my initial guess but I thought they were around a bit later than 2001. I guessed Texaco. They merged with Chevron in 2001 but it doesn't look like they declared bankruptcy first. Enron was a much easier answer.

I don't think I have "mallomars" in my local store. I have "pinwheels" and "fudge marshmallow cookies". They're both delicious.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

earendel wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:47 am
NoWhammies10 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:04 pm Coryat: $20,200
DDs: 2/3
FJ!: :mrgreen:

85% of all Mallomars are sold in the New York metropolitan area, per The Other Wiki. Every single one is produced at the Dad's Cookies factory, about a 20 minute drive from where I live in Toronto, ON. But they aren't sold here. I've only ever heard of similar cookies called Dare Whippets or Viva Puffs. Definitely one for the weekly poll. "I have heard of Mallomars", and "Mallomars aren't sold where I live, but something similar is".

Instaget FJ!.
My only knowledge of Mallomars comes from the Harvard Lampoon parody Bored of the Rings:
"Goodgulf snatched the ball away from Pepsi and glowered. 'This,' he said harshly, 'is no plaything. This ball is the wondrous mallomar, the magic whatchamacallit of the elves, long thought lost in the Sheet Metal Age.'
..."'With mallomar the Old Ones probed the secrets of the future and looked deep into the hearts of men.'"
This is all I know about Mallomars, also.

Precalled Brunei.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I think marshmallows are disgusting, so if there's something similar in our stores, I've probably actively avoided it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I've heard of Mallomars, but I don't think I've ever seen one and definitely haven't eaten one.

FJ seemed pretty easy and I think it will poll quite high.

No dis to the other two players, but I thought Emily was incredibly endearing and I was rooting for her.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:13 am
No dis to the other two players, but I thought Emily was incredibly endearing and I was rooting for her.

Strange, I felt the same way about Jayanthi.
sims
Valued Contributor

Post by sims »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:13 am I've heard of Mallomars, but I don't think I've ever seen one and definitely haven't eaten one.

FJ seemed pretty easy and I think it will poll quite high.

I was rooting for Emily also. She was one of the people from my tape day who ended up taping the next day and she is so nice.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

earendel wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:47 am My only knowledge of Mallomars comes from the Harvard Lampoon parody Bored of the Rings:
Ah, another Bored of the Rings fan!

When I heard "Mallomars," I remembered George Carlin mentioning them in one of his routines:
D'ja ever go to the supermarket in a head neighborhood? Any college or university supermarket. But any supermarket in an area where folks from time to time...get a little f**ked up. Go into any head neighborhood supermarket and take a look at the cookie section. Looks like a war zone. Half the packages are open. And all the good cookies are gone, man! "Where the hell are the Mallomars?" "Oh, we can't get them in the store. They line up at the truck for the Mallomars."
http://www.madmusic.com/song_details.aspx?SongID=21844