Wednesday, October 18, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Re: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by goatman »

Near instaget. 1796... farm girl... vaccines... Ed Jenner?! >>> led to first disease wiped out >>> Smallpox.

Manny... OW. $200 would've covered 2nd place... :( Sorry to see you go Navy dude! You played real good, wagered madly. :o

Word origin: vaccine <> vaccinia <> cowpox, aka variolation.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

I really like this FJ clue. The hints are all there, with a logical progression from a to b to c (farm girl to cows to cowpox to smallpox vaccine to eradication of smallpox - okay, a to b to c to d to e) without giving too much away.

I, too, have been thinking of a faster way to get it down - maybe "end of smallpox" or something like that, though the judges could be dodgy with that.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

Like MarkBarrett I was thinking along the lines of sequencing the human genome but could not come up with a reasonable link to the earlier experiment. Easy-peasy once I started from the farm girl and worked forward, but doubt I would have been able to write it out before time expired.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Tonight's Final Jeopardy! wagers were brought to you by the law offices of Venus, Venus, and Wackadoodle.

While an all-in from Chelsea would have been bold, her just-enough-for-2nd was the safe choice.

I wonder if Joanna simply didn't realize she had unlocked the game with her last DJ! response, or if she really did have zero confidence in the category (though she's the only player who got it right!).

Manny... Oh, Manny. Just... that was not $201. Since this is the next tape session, he would not have seen Austin similarly bet big against Amy Servat, but in that game those two were much closer. Manny had to bet only $201, which still leaves him exposed on a miss, but certainly doesn't drop him into either opponent's clutches on a conservative betting scenario (any mix of 2nd-vs-3rd or zeroes). I have enjoyed watching Manny, so it's sad to see him go based on such a crazy wager.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:23 pm
Anybody else shout "HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!" for the Electric Company opening? Disappointed there was no clue about Morgan Freeman.
I did! Except due to my age I'm more familiar with the 2009-11 reboot.. I'm sure it's far inferior to the original, though.

Correct me if I'm wrong.. didn't Manny say in the interview that he was prepared to (or perhaps expecting to?) ride off into the sunset with his winnings when he was trailing big yesterday?
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Although I'm at the very tail end of the target audience for the original Electric Company, I certainly yelled out "HEY YOU GUYS!" while running the category.

I yelled out something completely different after Manny's wager was revealed. What was that?
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

At the risk of getting run off this board, I'd NHO The Electric Company.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I made the same faulty connection that Chelsea did, making the connection from smallpox to the chickenpox vaccine. Looking up the year for that, I was surprised just how relatively recent that came about. I think the word "breakthrough" is what led me astray. It doesn't seem quite like the right word for the eradication of smallpox.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

and my FJ streak ends as I followed Manny in vitro. :(
clprez

Post by clprez »

goatman wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:10 pm Near instaget. 1796... farm girl... vaccines... Ed Jenner?! >>> led to first disease wiped out >>> Smallpox.

Manny... OW. $200 would've covered 2nd place... :( Sorry to see you go Navy dude! You played real good, wagered madly. :o

Word origin: vaccine <> vaccinia <> cowpox, aka variolation.
How did you intuit vaccine from the FJ clue? I was completely stumped and at the last second guessed IVF, which I thought was preposterous until I saw Manny's entry.

ETA: I should have read further to nlw's post, and now I see the key was to go from farm girl to cows.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Vowela wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:47 pm I think the word "breakthrough" is what led me astray. It doesn't seem quite like the right word for the eradication of smallpox.
Exactly. Doesn’t seem like the right word for something that we had been creeping up on for years.

I, like Manny, went down the IVF path, although the phrase in my mind was “first test tube baby”.
Sheepin' it real.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

No clue on FJ

No words for Manny or Joann's poor wagers! But I do appreciate the "Bad Wager Alert!" posts

Trivia: I got Auggie March without ever having read the book or knowing anything about the plot

Alex to Chelsea on DD1: "You don't want to take a guess?" srsly? from what part of her body might she have pulled "Eight Men Out"?

The Jeopardy! writers are gaga for Bolivar. Like Chelsea, I live in NYC and I don't think I've ever seen that statue in Central Park, but I got to Bolivar nonetheless

Note to self: Chuck Jones
Leander

Post by Leander »

I was confused by the use of the word “breakthrough” too. I thought the 1796 reference connected to Jenner and smallpox, but couldn’t make the leap to 1980 until I realized an announcement from Geneva probably meant the WHO, and went with smallpox eradication.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:10 pm The Jeopardy! writers are gaga for Bolivar. Like Chelsea, I live in NYC and I don't think I've ever seen that statue in Central Park, but I got to Bolivar nonetheless
I've been to Central Park dozens of times during the many years I've lived in Manhattan, and been to pretty much every part of the park, and I NHO the statue before today's episode. Here's what it looks like:

http://www.centralparknyc.org/things-to ... livar.html

It's at an entrance to the park that few NYC residents would use. I also am not clear on why Venezuela would gift to the park a statue of its own liberator. The clue about that statue completely stymied me.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:18 pm
It's at an entrance to the park that few NYC residents would use. I also am not clear on why Venzuela would gift to the park a statue of its own liberator. The clue about that statue completely stymied me.
Yes, the clue was less than helpful, though I was steered in the right direction as South America for anything military pre-20th century seems Pavlovian for Bolivar.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:21 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:18 pm
It's at an entrance to the park that few NYC residents would use. I also am not clear on why Venzuela would gift to the park a statue of its own liberator. The clue about that statue completely stymied me.
Yes, the clue was less than helpful, though I was steered in the right direction as South America for anything military pre-20th century seems Pavlovian for Bolivar.
Well, I'll have to remember to look right on Central Park South when I run the NYC marathon on Nov 5th
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Vowela wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:47 pm I made the same faulty connection that Chelsea did, making the connection from smallpox to the chickenpox vaccine. Looking up the year for that, I was surprised just how relatively recent that came about. I think the word "breakthrough" is what led me astray. It doesn't seem quite like the right word for the eradication of smallpox.
I got to smallpox being the thing and squirmed a bit before settling on eradication, also because "breakthrough" sounded like a scientific development rather than an "achievement".
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

On Jeopardy, of course!

Propose.PNG
Propose.PNG (187 KiB) Viewed 6486 times
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

OK, we've now had four episodes of male defending champs with two female challengers this season, but zero of female DCs with two male challengers. Hmmm. Methinks something is amiss.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kenny wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:16 pm OK, we've now had four episodes of male defending champs with two female challengers this season, but zero of female DCs with two male challengers. Hmmm. Methinks something is amiss.
https://www.jeopardy.com/about/this-week-on-jeopardy

:) I don't usually look ahead but this week I did when I saw earlier this week on The Jeopardy! Fan that he would manually approve comments. That had me curious to find out what might cause such a post.