Friday, October 20, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, October 20, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by chmmr »

I can't believe Alex has never heard of Seaborgium. I also can't believe there hasn't been a clue about it. Now I'm wondering if Seaborgium was on the periodic table when Alex was in grade school.

Edit: looks like it was discovered in 1974. I dread the day I go on Jeopardy and they have a clue about Copernicium or something.

Double edit: forgot about the Nihonium clue yesterday. Looks like the writers are starting to go deep on the periodic table :)
Last edited by chmmr on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

chmmr wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:57 pm I can't believe Alex has never heard of Seaborgium. I also can't believe there hasn't been a clue about it. Now I'm wondering if Seaborgium was on the periodic table when Alex was in grade school.

Edit: looks like it was discovered in 1974. I dread the day I go on Jeopardy and they have a clue about Copernicium or something.
Discovered in 1974, but named in 1997.
Also: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3475
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
sims
Valued Contributor

Post by sims »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:41 pm

He's saying you're the only one who's done the minimum cover wager without offering a tie.
Sorry if I'm being dense but why would you want to tie? You'd have to do a tiebreaker and I'd rather just win outright.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

chmmr wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:57 pm I can't believe Alex has never heard of Seaborgium.
I was at the College Championship taping where Amanda J. Ray asked Alex about me it from the audience. She mentioned it in her blog on the J! site, and it's archived here.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

sims wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:08 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:41 pm

He's saying you're the only one who's done the minimum cover wager without offering a tie.
Sorry if I'm being dense but why would you want to tie? You'd have to do a tiebreaker and I'd rather just win outright.
He's not saying you did anything wrong! Just that you're the only one this month who has covered by exactly a dollar.
OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OSXpert »

Sorry for the bad pun, but I through a Hail Mary (I) on FJ to make this week a rare 5/5 for me.

I'm weak on British monarchs, but I knew Elizabeth was towards the end of the 16th century, and Victoria was much much later, so Mary I was the best I could come up with.

The $200 wager from second was... interesting.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Would "Queen Mary" be accepted as a response? I thought about Mary and Elizabeth for that time period and thought Mary was married to Philip who sounded like a Habsburg. I didn't even think of putting Tudor/Bloody/I in my response. It would have been easier if I had thought of Elizabeth as the Virgin Queen.

I'm guessing none of those contestants visit this board or they would have answered Seaborgium correctly. My spellchecker flags Seaborgium as which is pretty ridiculous. The elements should be included in a spellchecker dictionary.

Wait, is it spelled Habsburg or Hapsburg? I thought it was Hapsburg and when I looked it up it was Habsburg but my spellchecker is flagging Habsburg but not Hapsburg.
sims wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:08 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:41 pm He's saying you're the only one who's done the minimum cover wager without offering a tie.
You're the only person this month who has wagered optimally from that position.
skullturf wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:00 pm Do you folks think "Bloody Mary" would have counted as a correct response? That's what I wrote down at home. (I wasn't 100% sure what her regnal number was, but probably would have guessed "the first" if forced to.)
Yes, that would definitely count.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:29 pm Wait, is it spelled Habsburg or Hapsburg? I thought it was Hapsburg and when I looked it up it was Habsburg but my spellchecker is flagging Habsburg but not Hapsburg.
Both.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:29 pm Would "Queen Mary" be accepted as a response?
skullturf wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:00 pm Do you folks think "Bloody Mary" would have counted as a correct response? That's what I wrote down at home. (I wasn't 100% sure what her regnal number was, but probably would have guessed "the first" if forced to.)
Yes, that would definitely count.
Just to add the weight of my own august judgment, yes. And it's good practice to answer name with epithet whenever you are not absolutely sure of the regnal number.

I would certainly not accept Queen Mary. Even Mary I is problematic (though I'd accept it. I'm not that hardassed), because Mary, Queen of Scots, is also "Mary I" among Scottish monarchs, and as has been pointed out, "British" does not denote English rather than Scottish. The Act of Union was still in the future.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Keep an eye out for the newest addition to the periodic table, tennessine. Californium is no longer alone.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Ironhorse wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:26 am Keep an eye out for the newest addition to the periodic table, tennessine. Californium is no longer alone.
Well, one of the newest:
Nihonium and symbol Nh, for the element 113 - Only element with a proposed name from the Japanese (Nihon = Japan)
Moscovium and symbol Mc, for the element 115 - Moscow
Tennessine and symbol Ts, for the element 117 - Tennessee
Oganesson and symbol Og, for the element 118 - Yuri Oganessian, a Russian chemist.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I know some things about some British monarchs, but Mary isn't one of them. So ends my FJ streak at 19.

I got seaborgium just after time ran out.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got spoiled on FJ when I clicked on the TPH thread before seeing this game but I’ll count it.

Someone asked about studying British monarchs. They are a good thing to know as they come up a lot. If you know their order and an idea of when they served and what they did of note you are in good shape. The Horrible History videos on YouTube are a good place to start.

Tom didn’t get the photography clue so of course his interview was about photography.

I didn’t know that last clue for certain but it was my guess. I would have rung in on the show if the money mattered.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Jasper wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:03 pm It seems that to have any staying power as a Jeopardy! champion, one needs to know something about the history of British royalty extending back several centuries. I am curious; how do successful players know such information? My schooling (large city public and parochial schools) did not touch this topic. Nor did any of my college classes. But this topic seems to surface regularly.

Jasper
Not that i am a successful player YET, but here is an idea that I find helpful when learning lists of information - start with a few landmarks that are really easy and then work backwards and forwards from those, with LOTS of repetition whenever you have a spare couple of minutes.

In this case, think of ... (spoilered for those who really don't care)
Spoiler
Alfred/late 800s
Edward the Confessor/William I "The Conqueror" before and after 1066, respectively
Richard I "The Lionhearted" late 1100s and his brother/successor (think Robin Hood) John (Magna Carta, 1215)
Edward I before and after 1300 (think "Braveheart" and William Wallace)
Richard III, 1485 - famous Shakespeare play, "My kingdom for a horse," Bosworth Field
Henry VIII, most of the first half of the 1500s
his three children for the rest of the 1500s, Edward VI, Mary I and particularly Elizabeth I
Charles I and Charles II on either side of the English Civil War and Oliver Cromwell of the 1650s
introduction of the Hanovers with four Georges in a row from early 1700s to early 1800s
Victoria basically for the last 2/3 of the 1800s
Edward VII/George V/Edward VIII/George VI - alternating
current Elizabeth II from 1952.

If this looks like too much to start, then reduce your starting point even more. Once you know your landmarks really well, you can slowly add in more names and details.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Ironhorse wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:26 am Keep an eye out for the newest addition to the periodic table, tennessine. Californium is no longer alone.
And you couldn't have posted this two weeks ago so that I wouldn't have answered "1" for the number of elements named after US states in pub quiz back then?? :mrgreen:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

nlw44 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:50 pm
Jasper wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:03 pm It seems that to have any staying power as a Jeopardy! champion, one needs to know something about the history of British royalty extending back several centuries. I am curious; how do successful players know such information? My schooling (large city public and parochial schools) did not touch this topic. Nor did any of my college classes. But this topic seems to surface regularly.

Jasper
Not that i am a successful player YET, but here is an idea that I find helpful when learning lists of information - start with a few landmarks that are really easy and then work backwards and forwards from those, with LOTS of repetition whenever you have a spare couple of minutes.

In this case, think of ... (spoilered for those who really don't care)
Spoiler
Alfred/late 800s
Edward the Confessor/William I "The Conqueror" before and after 1066, respectively
Richard I "The Lionhearted" late 1100s and his brother/successor (think Robin Hood) John (Magna Carta, 1215)
Edward I before and after 1300 (think "Braveheart" and William Wallace)
Richard III, 1485 - famous Shakespeare play, "My kingdom for a horse," Bosworth Field
Henry VIII, most of the first half of the 1500s
his three children for the rest of the 1500s, Edward VI, Mary I and particularly Elizabeth I
Charles I and Charles II on either side of the English Civil War and Oliver Cromwell of the 1650s
introduction of the Hanovers with four Georges in a row from early 1700s to early 1800s
Victoria basically for the last 2/3 of the 1800s
Edward VII/George V/Edward VIII/George VI - alternating
current Elizabeth II from 1952.

If this looks like too much to start, then reduce your starting point even more. Once you know your landmarks really well, you can slowly add in more names and details.
I’ve used a similar method in trying to memorize the presidents, I’m starting with every fourth one (Madison, Van Buren, Taylor, etc.), which makes it an easier list of 11. It helps that there are some particularly well known presidents in that list (Lincoln, Reagan, Cleveland, FDR, Obama). Then it’s mainly just a case of learning the two before and the two after each of them. Easy to break down.

Perhaps this method works because there are approximately as many Presidents in history as there have been English monarchs since 1066.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:47 pm I’ve used a similar method in trying to memorize the presidents, I’m starting with every fourth one (Madison, Van Buren, Taylor, etc.), which makes it an easier list of 11. It helps that there are some particularly well known presidents in that list (Lincoln, Reagan, Cleveland, FDR, Obama). Then it’s mainly just a case of learning the two before and the two after each of them. Easy to break down.
A similar method might be to start with presidents who died in office. If you get those dates down, then move to who their succeeding veep was, that's 16 guys right there. Then it's easier to fill in the blanks. It helps that the longest strings of blanks are at the beginning (which most people have studied a little more and find easier to remember) and the end (where you can rely on your living memory for some if not all).
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $30,600
38 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: risotto, Thirteen Reasons Why, The Book of Mormon, children

British royalty is one of those subjects that I keep meaning to study and then not getting around to it. I went with Queen Anne, who turned out to be a century too late.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Ran "Dysphemisms." Lach Trash: 13 Reasons Why, Book of Mormon, France. Kathleen's buzzer game was on point, but I miss Austin's big wagers on DD's,
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Surprised nobody picked up on what I did in the clue. The wording seemed like an obvious hint to me: Queen of Naples...Queen of Jerusalem...Queen of Scots!

Turned out they BOTH married a European crown princes in the middle of the century, one of Spain, one of France. Tough clue!