Forgive the Non-J! Poll

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

What do you think about Joe Buck?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:13 pm

Joe Buck wants the Dodgers to win.
9%
Joe Buck wants the Astros to win.
6%
Joe Buck is impartial.
27%
Who is Joe Buck?
30%
Not watching, don't care.
39%

Total votes: 64

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Forgive the Non-J! Poll

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm curious what others think about the lead announcer for Fox's World Series games.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Re: Forgive the Non-J! Poll

Post by badgerfellow »

Where's the option for "Anyone other than Joe Buck as announcer would be great"?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

badgerfellow wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:20 pm Where's the option for "Anyone other than Joe Buck as announcer would be great"?
That's just a given.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

badgerfellow wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:20 pm Where's the option for "Anyone other than Joe Buck as announcer would be great"?
Careful what you wish for, or you'll get Hawk Harrelson.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I'd prefer a recording of Vin Scully describing his breakfast.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I didn't know Joe Buck was a baseball fan, but I imagine he'd root for the Texas team.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

squarekara wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:42 pm I'd prefer a recording of Vin Scully describing his breakfast.
Me too. They had to get to the World Series again the year after Scully retired? Argh.

Giants fan here, so go Astros. :)
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Scully may have had a classic voice in his day but nobody still has a full voice in his late eighties. He really did need to retire. You couldn't listen to the game without being aware of his diminished capacities. He once said that he never watched a game that he wasn't announcing, he felt it would affect his own performance. I was always befuddled by that, how could he call the world series without having even watched one of the leagues championship series?

Joe Buck is a good professional play by play announcer. He works very well with Troy Aikman on NFL games. Gus Johnson, who called the Penn State - Ohio State game, is an irritating shouter.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

harrumph wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:08 am Gus Johnson, who called the Penn State - Ohio State game, is an irritating shouter.
I'm actually a Johnson fan myself, probably for the same reasons you dislike him. I don't watch football due to the concussion issue, but I miss having him in college basketball. I didn't realize he was still around.
BobF

Post by BobF »

How about an option for "Not watching because of Joe Buck"?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Not watching, but following.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I build up time credit and watch with a heavy finger on the skip button, TV mostly muted with Closed Caption on. This technique is not because of Joe Buck, but because MLB is not as exciting as cricket. I just watch the little infield diagram and back it up when a yellow box lights up. Occasionally some caption words interest me and I'll play back the dialog. Game 2 was epic!

In general, not a Joe Buck fan, and I grew up on his father calling Cardinal baseball. Jack Buck was a homer whether he called locally or nationally. I don't catch Joe on favoritism too much, but I do find some of his faux ignorance annoying. Better than faux intelligence, I guess. He continues to mention "modern analytics" and "launch angles" and etc.. like they are tensor calculus. Go ahead and share with us some of the insight!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

On the Canadian broadcast we get Matt Vasgersian. Checkmate, America.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

We need another option, or I can't answer truthfully:

"I'm not watching, nor do I care what Joe Buck thinks, but the Dodgers MUST lose!"
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Seriously, Fox? Commercials in between batters? They just make it so hard to watch the game.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I guess I'm not sure why Buck annoys so many people. I find him pretty innocuous. Same with John Smoltz.

I certainly enjoyed being in Pacific Time for last night's game.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:39 am Seriously, Fox? Commercials in between batters? They just make it so hard to watch the game.
Then speed up your game! I mean, having a ninety minute game* last for five hours means something isn't right. The fault is that there's time for commercials between batters, not that there is one.

*Yes, as far as I know, baseball, unlike football and hockey, doesn't have timed sections; this complaint, however, still works. With hockey and football, however, at least you have a quantitative measure of how much time is wasted.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Not watching, unless I'm at the brewery when it's on, but I follow the updates and sometimes even load up Gameday. As such, I have no metric to measure against Buck.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

My main Joe Buck issue is that he yells into the mic, which may or may not be related to Fox making the sound from crowd pick-up mics MUCH louder than any other game I listen to. Seriously, when the home team does anything, all you hear on Fox is a terrible roar of the crowd, and Buck YELLS over it in order to be heard, making it sound like he's rooting for that team. This doesn't happen on my local Angels and Dodgers broadcasts, nor on other broadcasts I'll occasionally turn into (Kansas City and San Francisco).

I do think he has an east coast bias (he always sounds like he's rooting for the Yankees or Red Sox over west-coast teams), but in this series, it's been the yelling of Buck combined with the asinine comments from the rest of the team.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

I had hoped that the poll would have, as an option, "I was moved to tears by his relationship with Ratso Rizzo."