New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ivoryface86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Now Mark, you labelled Joel Nathanson's 2nd game as Show #564, but after Show #562 got uploaded on YouTube originally, you realized that episode is mislabled, you should move the whole thing to Show #563 since that episode had the DJ! round appearing in the monitors coming out of the commercial break. Same can be said about what's really Show #566, which also had the DJ! round logo appearing in the monitors. If I've gone with Trevor(animfan) on these, the aforementioned episodes were aired on January 28 and February 2, 1987 respectively, both of which did appear on GSN but neither one of them aired on the weekend rotation.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:59 am Now Mark, you labelled Joel Nathanson's 2nd game as Show #564, but after Show #562 got uploaded on YouTube originally, you realized that episode is mislabled, you should move the whole thing to Show #563 since that episode had the DJ! round appearing in the monitors coming out of the commercial break. Same can be said about what's really Show #566, which also had the DJ! round logo appearing in the monitors. If I've gone with Trevor(animfan) on these, the aforementioned episodes were aired on January 28 and February 2, 1987 respectively, both of which did appear on GSN but neither one of them aired on the weekend rotation.
If I am understanding all of this correctly:

#562 Joel Nathanson #1 on 2/3/87 is right?
It's the three games in the Archive that follow that one that need to be moved accordingly?

I've shifted Joel Nathanson #2 and #4 along with Mary Hammond #2 to have the Archive with 2/3, 2/4, 2/6 and 2/9/87.
Doogie2K
Contributor

Post by Doogie2K »

Because someone mentioned the birthday game earlier in the thread, I looked and was chuffed to bits that mine was in there, too. Though in looking at it now, this might not be the first time I've gone looking for it, as a lot of those clues are looking pretty familiar now.

I'm amused that the very first FJ! comes back with a vengeance here; I wonder how many times they hit people with that weird "gotcha" detail before dropping it. I was also struck by the "barring the unforeseen" note and wondering what they could be thinking of. I guess the threat of some existential crisis for the United States was still fairly strong in 1986, as compared to most of the rest of my life.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I filled in another S18 with 1/9/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1167

The links should all work.

I saw the middle miss for the FJ! clue coming a mile away.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A couple of strange misses on FJ given the category. I got it pretty quickly, but did consider
Spoiler
Desi Arnaz

Interesting wager by the leader that almost cost him the game. Clever wagering only works if the others play along.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Doogie2K wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:37 pm Because someone mentioned the birthday game earlier in the thread, I looked and was chuffed to bits that mine was in there, too. Though in looking at it now, this might not be the first time I've gone looking for it, as a lot of those clues are looking pretty familiar now.

I'm amused that the very first FJ! comes back with a vengeance here; I wonder how many times they hit people with that weird "gotcha" detail before dropping it. I was also struck by the "barring the unforeseen" note and wondering what they could be thinking of. I guess the threat of some existential crisis for the United States was still fairly strong in 1986, as compared to most of the rest of my life.
They did that about once a season in the early years. I remember that game. I took it as considering the possibility of changes in the law, not some great disaster.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:31 am
Doogie2K wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:37 pm Because someone mentioned the birthday game earlier in the thread, I looked and was chuffed to bits that mine was in there, too. Though in looking at it now, this might not be the first time I've gone looking for it, as a lot of those clues are looking pretty familiar now.

They did that about once a season in the early years. I remember that game. I took it as considering the possibility of changes in the law, not some great disaster.
For another example, see this recently entered (though not by me) game.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5803

Semi-related, I'm hoping to have that incomplete game from a couple pages back finished today, then I'm going to take stock of what's still on Dailymotion to be archived, and then (if I'm lucky) later this week I'll have some interesting news.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:46 pm Semi-related, I'm hoping to have that incomplete game from a couple pages back finished today, then I'm going to take stock of what's still on Dailymotion to be archived, and then (if I'm lucky) later this week I'll have some interesting news.
And Hope is the thing with feathers, and that game is now done.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5758

January 5, 1987, Dale Butland vs. Charlene Hofferstad vs. Keith Bell. Keith Bell game 2.

Lots of good, early-season, new-to-the-archive stuff here, including the TV series "Bronk", girning, the movie "Incubus", and the short story "Cannibalism in the Cars". I'd say 3 of those 4 things are worth adding to your flashcards, although if you feel like you want to remember who played Bronk, be my guest.

FJ you can skip, however. What an icky clue. Very guessable, and the reasoning is interesting, I suppose, but boy-oh-boy I don't like it.

Clue of the game--other than Cannibalism in the Cars, which I'm going to hunt down after finishing this write-up--will be WOMEN IN HISTORY for $400 (DJ); the first half of the clue is a nice, hard clue, but it becomes much easier after the comma
Henry VIII's first mother-in-law,
Spoiler
she was consort to Ferdinand of Aragon
Spoiler
Who is Queen Isabella?
Finally, I've got a question of typography for you all.

Have a look at this clue.
vlcsnap-2017-10-29-15h46m03s831.png
vlcsnap-2017-10-29-15h46m03s831.png (210.29 KiB) Viewed 7815 times
What would you call the symbol between the letters in M*A*S*H? I just rendered them as asterisks, but they sure look like diamonds (or maybe dots) to me.

Have a good week.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:27 pm
What would you call the symbol between the letters in M*A*S*H? I just rendered them as asterisks, but they sure look like diamonds (or maybe dots) to me.

Have a good week.
They do look like diamonds (although I'm not sure why they'd use that. If they can render the diamonds, surely they can do the correct asterisks).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:36 pm

Have a good week.
They do look like diamonds (although I'm not sure why they'd use that. If they can render the diamonds, surely they can do the correct asterisks).
Given the alignment, I'd call them bullets.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:02 pm
econgator wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:36 pm

Have a good week.
Given the alignment, I'd call them bullets.
Looks like an interpunct to me, but perhaps this is how asterisks are rendered in that font. (After all, how many times have they been used with that font? (keeping in mind I think the clue font has changed slightly at least once in the last 34 years))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Catching up on older posts.

From this game:
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:30 pm Robby Krieger
John Entwistle
Don Felder
Robbie Robertson (he was familiar, but I could not place him until seeing the final name shown)
Nick Rhodes
Strangely, I got the middle three but have NHO the top guy.
Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:08 pm Doug Molitor #4 as he plays FJ by himself with Alex cutting the music short when he was done writing his question.
Do we have video of this?

ETA: I also got the "M*A*S*H" Lach Trash because I saw the fact on TV Tropes.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It was on Daily Motion, no idea if it is still up.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:46 pm ...and then (if I'm lucky) later this week I'll have some interesting news.
I am lucky, and I do have some interesting news. I have just now taken delivery of what I have termed The David Frazee Collection, a box containing approximately 30 videotapes, 20 audio cassettes(!), and a packet of papers I haven't looked closely at just yet.

For example, the tape I just popped in is labeled October 1992. The game at the end of the tape is from December (and already in the Archive, WTH???) but I rewound it and found at least 2 games that aren't. The first game on the tape, for instance, is a 1993 Teen Tournament match featuring Fraser Woodford vs. Suj Vijayan vs. Nancy Dickman. That's Fraser Woodford who won the tournament, so already I'm super excited about what else might be on these tapes.

So that game will be the next one I enter (anyone got the date for certain?), and then I'll pepper and salt these into the rotation, probably digitizing them for ease of archiving. The video quality is sooooo good, too.

My very public thanks to David for sending these along. Bit of backstory, David taped Jeopardy around the winter of 2002, Season 19 same as me. Unfortunately, his game(s) were pre-empted by the start of the Iraq War, and so have not been widely aired, if they aired anywhere at all.

---

I just looked at the papers. It's transcripts of Qs from 1992 and 93, some printed off a computer, some handwritten on grids drawn on graph paper. I'm giddy right now. Final Jeopardy on March 20, 1992 was "POETRY: Much of this poem was probably written at the Indian Queen Inn in Baltimore in September 1814". A delight.

Now I have to find a cassette player.

:D
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Fraser vs. Suj vs. Nancy: #1955 -- Friday, February 19, 1993. 😎📺
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5815

Followup to the last game, January 6, 1987, from Animfan.

David Dickman vs co-champs Dale Butland and Keith Bell.

David came out swinging, leaving the other 2 guys behind for most of the match. Luckily for Keith he found all 3 DDs and got 2 of them right, keeping himself in the game and at a close second going into FJ. David missed, unfortunately for him but fortunately for Keith and his ToC hopes.

I googled to figure out what magazine David might have edited, and came up with this article from 2013 announcing his retirement.

http://www.serviceindustrynews.net/jour ... ustry-news

The article mentions he met his publishing partner over a game of Trivial Pursuit, but Jeopardy doesn't get a mention. Tsk tsk.

Clue of the game will be INVENTIONS for $1000, with a name new to the Archive. Alex thought the last name might have been a clue for the players, but the 2 incorrect guesses and 1 shaken head say otherwise.
In 1888, Marvin Chester Stone patented the 1st of these, hand-rolled & made of paraffined paper
Spoiler
What are straws?
Also new to the Archive (as a response, at least), James Bond "Jaws" actor...
Spoiler
Richard Kiel.
Early season oddity: Dale literally bet "nothing" for this game; the wagering portion of his display remained blank in Final Jeopardy. It looked like a mechanical malfunction, but Dale's comments lead me to believe it was intentional on his part.

Good night all.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Is the Nancy Dickmann (two n's according to the Teen tournament wiki) the same one who emigrated to the UK and won a series of Mastermind, in addition to many other accomplishments? She looked like she was in her 30's when her series was recorded in 2008/9, and an article said that she had been living in the UK for seven years after college, so being a teen in 1993 makes some level of sense.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:13 pm Is the Nancy Dickmann (two n's according to the Teen tournament wiki) the same one who emigrated to the UK and won a series of Mastermind, in addition to many other accomplishments? She looked like she was in her 30's when her series was recorded in 2008/9, and an article said that she had been living in the UK for seven years after college, so being a teen in 1993 makes some level of sense.
Based on the photo on this page and the video I just checked, 99% yes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 112527.stm

Thanks for catching my spelling error and uncovering Nancy's future success!
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

As someone who has both a working cassette player and a desire to get a J-Archive t-shirt, what would I have to do to get the cassettes and become an archivist?
animfan
Valued Contributor

Post by animfan »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:03 pm It was on Daily Motion, no idea if it is still up.
I re-uploaded it yesterday to Dailymotion.