Monday, October 30, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, October 30, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7621, 2017-10-30

CONTESTANTS
Morgan Hanson, a Ph.D candidate from Tullahoma, Tennessee
Charles Yu, a technical consultant from Hyattsville, Maryland
Anand Kandaswamy, an economist from Washington, D.C. (whose 1-day cash winnings total $10,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I'm gonna begin today by looking forward. One week from today, our Tournament of Champions gets underway, featuring some of your favorite Jeopardy! winners from the past year. Okay, something to look forward to. Charles and Morgan, welcome aboard. Anand, good to see you again. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. Now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WOLVERINE (4/5)
"ANT", MAN (3/5)
AVENGERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FANTASTIC 4 (5/5)
CAP (4/5)
MARVEL (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Anand: 15 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Charles: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Morgan: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Anand found the Daily Double on the 8th clue. Anand had $3,400, Charles was scoreless, and Morgan had a deficit with -$600. Anand wagered $1,600.

AVENGERS $800: These "angry" goddesses of vengeance in Greek myth were particularly cruel if one killed a family member

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Anand: $6,400
Charles: $1,200
Morgan: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Morgan Hanson is from Tennessee. Ph.D. candidate who wants to buy an animal--an unusual animal.

Morgan: A perfect animal. I want to buy a miniature donkey with my winnings today.

Alex: Why?

Morgan: Because they're adorable. Have you seen one?

Alex: I've seen a miniature horse.

Morgan: Oh, they're cuter than a miniature horse. And I have names picked out for it. If it's really tiny, I'm going to call it Dinky Donkey. If it watches Jeopardy! with me, I'm gonna call it Dorky Donkey. I might call it Ba-donk-a-Donkey. I don't know.

[Laughter]

Morgan: Have to see to it to find out.

Alex: You set me up perfectly for all of this, didn't you?

Morgan: Yeah, you're welcome.

Alex: Way to go.

Alex: Charles Yu is from Hyattsville, Maryland. A technical consultant who was once part of a very, very large peaceful gathering. What was it all about?

Charles: Yeah, that's right. I've been a Chicago Cubs fan all my life. And when they won the World Series last year, you know, over 5 million people showed up in Chicago. They announced the parade was gonna be on Friday, and on Thursday, I immediately bought a plane ticket, and I was in the crowd for that celebration.

Alex: All right, good for you.

Alex: Anand Kandaswamy from Washington, D.C. is an economist who maybe wanted to be a cartoonist at one time. And you sent in an application.

Anand: Well, I sent in a couple of drawings, actually, to our local editorial cartoonist, along with some writings I had done. And he wrote back a very nice note saying that maybe I should focus on the writing and not so much on the art.

[Laughter]

Alex: In other words, don't give up your day job.

Anand: Exactly.

Alex: All right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MARVEL $400: Cybernetic implants aid this guardian whose original name in the comics mimicked a Beatles title

"ANT", MAN $600: Grammatically, in "Sal hit a ball so hard that he knocked the cover off it", Sal is this to he, as is ball to it

CAP $200: In the 1690s this captain was assigned to hunt pirates but became one, plundering instead of protecting ships
(Anand: Who is Captain Blackbeard?)

WOLVERINE $800: A wolverine is AKA this word meaning one who eats & drinks voraciously

"ANT", MAN $800: 15-letter word meaning third from the end

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Anand: $9,200
Morgan: $2,800
Charles: $2,200
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, October 30, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WORLD LEADERS (5/5)
10-LETTER WORDS (2/5)
"Z" GRADE ENTERTAINMENT (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A CONSTITUTIONAL VOCABULARY (5/5)
THE STATE'S SECOND-LARGEST CITY (2/5)
YOU HAVE ME AT A LOSS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Anand: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Charles: 4 R, 0 W
Morgan: 7 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Anand snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. Anand had $18,800, Charles had $4,600, and Morgan was at $6,400. Anand wagered $1,200.

"Z" GRADE ENTERTAINMENT $2000: The long search for a real California serial killer inspired this David Fincher film

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Morgan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Anand had $20,000, Charles had $4,600, and Morgan was at $8,800. Morgan wagered $1,000.

YOU HAVE ME AT A LOSS $1600: Chapter 106 of "Moby Dick" is titled "Ahab's" this
(Morgan: What is revenge?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"Z" GRADE ENTERTAINMENT $800: "I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's & his hair was perfect", sang this late, great pianist

YOU HAVE ME AT A LOSS $2000: In John 18 Simon Peter deftly relieves Malchus of one of these
(Morgan: What is a demon?)
(Alex: Remember Peter sliced off [*] when they captured Jesus.)

10-LETTER WORDS $1200: It's the compound word for the garment seen here--note the buttons
(Morgan: What is a trenchdress?)

10-LETTER WORDS $1600: Clint Eastwood in "In the Line of Fire" laments the underuse of this 10-letter word for a ludicrous scheme or idea

10-LETTER WORDS $2000: The positioning of a horn player's lips and tongue on the mouthpiece, it's from the French for "mouth"
(Alex: We have less than a minute to go now.)

THE STATE'S SECOND-LARGEST CITY $800: Oklahoma:
Once called the "oil capital of the world"

THE STATE'S SECOND-LARGEST CITY $1600: Colorado:
Home to NORAD & Cheyenne Mountain
(Morgan: What is Boulder?)

THE STATE'S SECOND-LARGEST CITY $2000: Indiana:
Named for a log stockade named for a Revolutionary war hero

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Anand: $21,200 (lock game)
Charles: $5,800
Morgan: $3,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY LITERATURE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Anand: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $9,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Charles: Wager $201 to cover Morgan.
Morgan: You have the hope of surpassing Charles for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $2,600 and $2,998.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 1870 novel has a ship whose name is from the Greek for "sailor" & a captain whose name is Latin for "no one"

FINAL SCORES
Morgan: $3,000 - $3,000 = $0 (What is Watership Down) (3rd place: $1,000)
Charles: $5,800 - $201 = $5,599 (What is The Ballad of Capn Crunch) (2nd place: $2,000)
Anand: $21,200 + $3,800 = $25,000 (What is 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea) (2-day champion: $35,001)
(Alex: [To Anand] By Jules Verne. Captain Nemo on the Nautilus.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Anand: $21,200, 25 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Charles: $5,800, 9 R, 0 W
Morgan: $4,000, 12 R, 6 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $31,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Anand: 26/60 = .433
Morgan: 12/59 = .203
Charles: 9/58 = .155
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MARVEL $600: In season 2 of Netflix's "Daredevil", Elodie Yung plays this fighting heroine who once had a movie of her own

AVENGERS $600: Number of legendary ronin who avenged their master's death in 1703
(Morgan: What is 13?)

FANTASTIC 4 $1000: This method of tying a necktie is also the name for a vehicle drawn by 4 horses
(Morgan: What is Windsor?)

WOLVERINE $1000: The wolverine doesn't look so ferocious when it's still this, also the word for a fox cub

"ANT", MAN $1000: Opposition to withdrawing state support from a church; take a deep breath & slowly say all 28 letters
(Morgan: What is [*]? What is [*]?)
(Alex: You didn't have to repeat it.)
(Morgan: That took, like, 7 seconds. Sorry.)

WORLD LEADERS $2000: In May of 2017, this new president of France shared a white-knuckle handshake with Donald Trump

"Z" GRADE ENTERTAINMENT $1600: This "Hellbilly Deluxe" rocker has expanded his repertoire to directing horror films

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Furies
Rocket Raccoon
antecedent
Captain Kidd
a glutton
antepenultimate
Zodiac
leg
Warren Zevon
his ear
a shirtdress
cockamamie
embouchure
Tulsa
Colorado Springs
Fort Wayne
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
Elektra
four-in-hand
a kit
antidisestablishmentarianism
(Emmanuel) Macron
Rob Zombie
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY LITERATURE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 1870 novel has a ship whose name is from the Greek for “sailor” & a captain whose name is Latin for “no one”

Anand Kandaswamy: 21200+3800=25000 (2x = $35,001)
Charles Yu: 5800-201=5599
Morgan Hanson: 3000-3000=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Charles – The Ballad of Capn Crunch) (Morgan – Watership Down)

Daily Doubles
Anand: 3400+1600
Anand: 18800+1200
Morgan: 8800-1000

Coryats
Anand: 21200
Charles: 5800
Morgan: 4000

Combined: 31,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Anand: 9200
Charles: 2200
Morgan: 2800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Morgan worked in Dinky Donkey, Dorky Donkey and Badonka Donkey as possible names for wanting a miniature donkey with her winnings. What do those things go for? Hope it’s under a grand?

Alex confirmed the TOC for Monday with favorite players from the past year. What about the year before that, Alex?

Check out DD2 from this game:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3284

In the category of just kidding: Anand gave the movie title and not the novel title. He should have been negged. I took that same short cut as well since it was plenty enough to write as is. Good thing the think portion of solving the clue was short.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Happy to see a ZOOM reference on today's show.

Now if only someone would bet $02134 for a DD, we'd be set!!!!
PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 »

not that it mattered since she got it wrong but Morgan should have went all on her dd and that was her chance to make it a game and maybe steal a win.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I always worry I’ll get the number of leagues wrong but I nailed it.

I was rooting for Morgan as she seemed to be having fun without pre-planned stunts, but timid betting and too many misses down the stretch doomed her chances.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Morgan was very entertaining. Loved the middle guy's guess on FJ! too.

Can't believe I missed "Rocket Raccoon". That was kind of an obscure path to him though -- I bet almost no one knew who he even was before the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, which apparently take a lot of liberties with the source material.

I bit on the "Blackbeard" negbait on Cap for $200. I'm guessing they all pavlov'd to Blackbeard, and couldn't shift gears in time after the neg. Seems that happens a lot lately.

Showing my love for mustelidae, I ran Wolverine. Also ran "Ant".

So they can put the tilde over the N in "Señor" but not in "piña colada"? Sloppy.

NHO "vocational training". Must've spent all my "word category" points in the J! round, because I whiffed the 10 Letter Words category.

Strangely, the only Second-Biggest Cities I got were the three that they were stumped on. Lost the Minneapolis/St. Paul coin flip, and just drew a blank on anything other than Charlotte for "city in NC".

Crazy Lach Trash for me: antecedent, glutton, antipenultimate, Warren Zevon, Tulsa, Colorado Springs, Fort Wayne
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $26,800
DDs: 1/3
FJ!: :(

Ran Fantastic 4.

Like TPH, I spent all my Wordplay points on "antipenultimate" and "antidisestablishmentarianism". 0/5 on 10-Letter Words.

Put The Old Man & The Sea, then immediately facepalmed when the correct response was revealed. Double facepalmed when my response was published in 1951.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Uncle Alex needs to refresh his memory a bit. All I could do was shake my head and point at the TV in frustration when he mentioned the ToC only containing players from the previous year. I swear that man only remembers one contestant in show history.

Morgan doomed herself by talking about her hypothetical winnings during the interviews. You always take the Hunter Appler route and don't even mention it. :D

I don't like themed rounds much.. for some reason they're usually harder for me. Nevertheless, got Final to make up for an off-day. Growing up with PBS Kids, pleased as well to see Zoom as a correct response tonight.

Congrats to Anand for playing a fantastic game from start to finish and picking up win #2!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget. 42R. LT: Antecedent, Warren Zevon (Roland the Thompson Gunner! :-); Simon Peter clipped an ear; Tulsa OK, Co Springs CO, Ft Mad Anthony Wayne, IN. NO get on 'antipenultimate' = new word for goats; nice to see 'emoluments' which were in LL recently, but NHO 'aboucher.'

Morgan's funny chatter about donkeys, reminds me: Stallion mates with Jenny >> Hinny; Mare mates with donkey (burro) >> Mule. Moar LL!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

In posting the J! TOC thread I do not consider it a spoiler for Anand. He could lose this week and also he's only at 2 wins so early for TOC coronation. On the other hand he could sweep the week and be in the next one. Either way having the QF matches revealed does not spoil how Anand's time on the show will go.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

LT: Warren Zevon, William Kidd, ear, Fort Wayne, Tulsa, Colorado Springs, embouchure. Instagot FJ.
Last edited by Ironhorse on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Crazy Lach Trash for me: antecedent, glutton, antipenultimate, Warren Zevon, Tulsa, Colorado Springs, Fort Wayne
OK, who hacked TPH's log in?
I did get some of the same LT. Warren Zevon, Ear, and Fort Wayne. Also the Ahab's Leg DD.

I found the Ant Man material to be more suited for DJ than J, and perhaps even ToC level. Antecedent a middle row clue? I was slack jawed.

It's funny how the allure of the nice sounding number of 25,000 over shadowed the nice even number of 30,000 for Anand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:02 pm
I found the Ant Man material to be more suited for DJ than J, and perhaps even ToC level. Antecedent a middle row clue? I was slack jawed.
I couldn't define an antecedent to save my life but I remember the term from high school English class.

It helps to be old I got Lou Ferigno in the bottom row for my only get in that category.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Not an instaget, but I was able to tease out FJ. There was a thread on reddit recently about how many people think 20,000 leagues refers to the depth the sub was at, and this clip of Kelsey Grammer as Captain Nemo on SNL was shared: https://streamable.com/bf8f Decent James Mason/Peter Lorre impressions.

I was pretty happy with sweeping the "Ant" category but I think I would have balked at ringing in on some of those later once due to a fear of mispronouncing something.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

I found this game harder than usual. Maybe the categories. Worst performance in years.
No get on FJ either. That's awfully long response to write. I was wondering if they would accept 20K in the response.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:16 pm Morgan worked in Dinky Donkey, Dorky Donkey and Badonka Donkey as possible names for wanting a miniature donkey with her winnings. What do those things go for? Hope it’s under a grand?
They're going for about $650-$1000 in my area.

I got Final Jeopardy but if I had thought of The Ballad of Cap'n Crunch I might have put that.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:28 pm I bit on the "Blackbeard" negbait on Cap for $200. I'm guessing they all pavlov'd to Blackbeard, and couldn't shift gears in time after the neg. Seems that happens a lot lately.
I don't think "Blackbeard" was negbait, as he's rarely, if ever, called "Captain Blackbeard" like the contestant referred to him. (Now, my answer of "Captain Morgan", I'd say was closer to being negbait.)

FJ thought process: "OK, Greek for sailor ..."
Brain: "Argonaut! That sounds right! Let's go from there!"
Me: "Shut up, brain!"
Brain: "Argonaut!"
Me: "OK, well, I thought -naut comes from Greek for sailor: Astronaut, Chrononaut, nautical, that's something. But Jason meaning no man ... ?"
Brain: "Argonaut!"
Me: "Astronaut, nautical, Nautilus! "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea"! Hurry, write it down before time's up, you're like 23 seconds in already!"
Me (while writing): "Captain of the Nautilus, Captain Nemo ... yeah! That sounds plausible for no man! I think I got it! Yay!"

My only concern was getting everything in under the time. I have messy writing as is. (I hope for my Final Jeopardy! the answer is something like "What is PEI" or something like that. :) )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Poor Morgan. After the DD miss she fell into the "desperate guesses" trap and went something like -5k. But at least she got to say "what is antidisestablishmentarianism", twice.

It's good to see a trend starting to develop where the contestants are enjoying themselves on stage. If this is the lasting legacy of Austin Rogers, I'll be the happier for it.

The TS for Colorado Springs was baffling. But maybe that's just because I watched Stargate: SG-1.

I think the stand-and-stare for "antecedent" was just from the clue being worded so awkwardly, but I don't know how the writers could have done any better without making it a video clue and showing a sentence diagram or some nonsense.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest