Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

The question that led off the 10/30 show:
Spoiler
Next:
Spoiler
Jay Alexander had no lifelines remaining. He had a general sense of vowels being on the low end of scoring and J,Q & Z being on the high end. Other letters depended on their usage. It was a free guess and Jay went for Zachary Quinto being attracted by both a Z & a Q in the name.
Next:
Spoiler
The correct answer was Benedict Cumberbatch with a total of 37 points. Zachary Quinto was the highest with 39 points. Chiwetel Ejiofor was low with 33 and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is 36 points. Jay left with $50,000
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:49 pm The question that led off the 10/30 show:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Jeez, did they really want me up there counting each one of them? I'm not a proponent of taking forever on a question, but this would take a looooong time to do.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Spoiler
"Second-highest" is rude as heck.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:03 pm
Spoiler
Spoiler
Who cares? If you play a decent amount of Scrabble it's free money no matter how you ask it. I would be OK with getting paid $100k to count Scrabble points for 2 minutes. Then perhaps another 2 minutes to double-check.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Golf wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:07 pm
Spoiler
Spoiler
Who cares? If you play a decent amount of Scrabble it's free money no matter how you ask it. I would be OK with getting paid $100k to count Scrabble points for 2 minutes. Then perhaps another 2 minutes to double-check.
I care.
Spoiler
First, playing from home it was clear when I rushed through it that I miscounted the value of name 1 *and* missed the "second-highest" qualifier. I'm sure it would have been different if I was taking my time, and it was my money on the line, but there's no easy accounting for adrenaline. Second, it's easier to keep track of the highest one in a running count if that's all they're asking for.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

acthomas wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:23 pm
Golf wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:07 pm
Spoiler
Spoiler
I care.
Spoiler
First, playing from home it was clear when I rushed through it that I miscounted the value of name 1 *and* missed the "second-highest" qualifier. I'm sure it would have been different if I was taking my time, and it was my money on the line, but there's no easy accounting for adrenaline. Second, it's easier to keep track of the highest one in a running count if that's all they're asking for.
Spoiler
If winning money playing trivia was easy, everybody would crush. All this question requires is actually reading it and counting scrabble tiles, doesn't get much easier than this for $100k cash.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Spoiler
I missed "second-highest" and miscounted Zachary Quinto (or maybe reverted to 34 somehow while trying to hold the total in my mind as I counted Chiwetel Ejiofor), and said Benedict Cumberbatch. Whatever works!
In other news, I think I heard that Raj Dhuwalia is on this week.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Get again based off med school training, "pick the odd man out" but in this case Z-Q is the odd man so he's first, then Benedict had more letters. :lol:

Agree easy money but gosh what a dull game it makes to watch some poor bloke counting letters! :P
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Does nobody think it would’ve been edited if it took a while.

They will let you go as long as it takes as long as you are reasonably getting to the answer.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:25 pm
Spoiler
I missed "second-highest" and miscounted Zachary Quinto (or maybe reverted to 34 somehow while trying to hold the total in my mind as I counted Chiwetel Ejiofor), and said Benedict Cumberbatch. Whatever works!
In other news, I think I heard that Raj Dhuwalia is on this week.
Spoiler
he is, and of course the show spoils how far he went. I suspected as much when I saw he would be on during sweeps.

We also know there will be at least one million dollar question this season
Total game show career losings = $171,522
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

goatman wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:57 pm This is a test of test-taking skills; in medical school we learned how to pass exams being sleep deprived and inadequately prepared:

Upon inspection, notice:

A: Appendectomy >> major abdominal procedure (lifethreatening)
B: Gallstone removal >> invasive abdominal procedure (now they do it by laparoscopy, but nevermind that! still can be lifethreatening)
C: Cataract surgery >> minor outpatient eye surgery
D: Coronary bypass >> major thoracic procedure (lifethreatening)
Spoiler
Pick the one that doesn't fit! :D
That's fine until the writers put two "sames" and one "different" with the correct response.
goatman wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:41 pm Get again based off med school training, "pick the odd man out" but in this case Z-Q is the odd man so he's first, then Benedict had more letters. :lol:
Nikolaj Koster-Waldau has the same number of letters as Benedict Cumberbatch.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

I loved watching Jason make his run – he played the game the way it was meant to be played. Too bad Scrabble isn't his jam!
Spoiler
I would have triple-checked my math on the $100k question, possibly mixing it up by not counting letters that appeared in every name (like a single 'c')
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:56 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:49 pm The question that led off the 10/30 show:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Jeez, did they really want me up there counting each one of them? I'm not a proponent of taking forever on a question, but this would take a looooong time to do.
Not having a good grasp on the values, I would have just immediately guessed one and called Final Answer (this is the freebie, right)? I would have been wrong.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

econgator wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:52 pm Not having a good grasp on the values, I would have just immediately guessed one and called Final Answer (this is the freebie, right)? I would have been wrong.
So you would not have even tried for $100K? That's odd. And the fact that it's a freebie means nothing when attempting to ration out an answer. But the contestant didn't really try that much either. He was babbling for a while but not much of it made any sense.

You say you don't have a good grasp on the values, but do you have some grasp? Do you know that Q and Z are worth 10? Do you know that vowels are worth 1? If so, then apply some educated guesses to the rest. Go through the letters one by one and add up your guesses. Then pick the 2nd highest and go for it. That doesn't seem to be overly difficult, especially with $100k or more on the line.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Millionaire got pre-empted today (Tuesday) in my market for news coverage of New York. Does anyone have a record of the questions?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

acthomas wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:21 pm Millionaire got pre-empted today (Tuesday) in my market for news coverage of New York. Does anyone have a record of the questions?
He does: https://bobbymgsk.wordpress.com/2017/10 ... re-103117/
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:35 pm
acthomas wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:21 pm Millionaire got pre-empted today (Tuesday) in my market for news coverage of New York. Does anyone have a record of the questions?
He does: https://bobbymgsk.wordpress.com/2017/10 ... re-103117/
Cheers!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This has some of the questions from the 11/2 episode: https://drive.google.com/file/d/133d3Ar ... sp=sharing

The full set of questions can be seen here: https://bobbymgsk.wordpress.com/category/millionaire/

Comments:
Spoiler
Chris indicated no recognition of Muffy, so I'm guessing this was taped before her appearance as a contestant. If you want to meet a bunch of trivia stars in a friendly and fun setting then O'Brien's Irish Pub Quiz is a great place. The gallery here includes Raj as well as some 2017 TOCers and plenty of J! Board members: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pubquiz/

For the pool ball question Raj dazzled host Chris and the audience with knowing the stripe balls are 9-15 for a total of 7 balls. They average to 12 so final answser 84. It was done so smoothly and quickly while I was doing 9+10+11+12+13+14+15 to get there in the slow lane.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I didn't even know Millionaire showed on here, but I was home early this afternoon and checked it out (Vancouver Global at 2:30pm EDT, for the record).
Spoiler
That math answer was a thing of beauty.
Raj is looking good!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:48 pm This has some of the questions from the 11/2 episode: https://drive.google.com/file/d/133d3Ar ... sp=sharing

The full set of questions can be seen here: https://bobbymgsk.wordpress.com/category/millionaire/

Comments:
Spoiler
Chris indicated no recognition of Muffy, so I'm guessing this was taped before her appearance as a contestant. If you want to meet a bunch of trivia stars in a friendly and fun setting then O'Brien's Irish Pub Quiz is a great place. The gallery here includes Raj as well as some 2017 TOCers and plenty of J! Board members: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pubquiz/

For the pool ball question Raj dazzled host Chris and the audience with knowing the stripe balls are 9-15 for a total of 7 balls. They average to 12 so final answser 84. It was done so smoothly and quickly while I was doing 9+10+11+12+13+14+15 to get there in the slow lane.
That's the kind of question set I'd like to have if I ever got on the show. Way to go Raj!