Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by dhkendall »

Magna wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:09 pm Which cities haven't yet had auditions (from the latest online test)?
Vancouver. At least I hope they haven't *yet*.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:33 pm
Magna wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:09 pm Which cities haven't yet had auditions (from the latest online test)?
Charlotte

Raleigh was never visited from the last round of testing.
I think they may have skipped San Diego too.

I don't remember seeing anything about Los Angeles this time around. Of course it's relatively easy for them to schedule auditions there.
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:21 pm
Vancouver. At least I hope they haven't *yet*.
What? You didn't want to come to Toronto and have dinner with me and Andy?

;)
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

flutist319 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:14 pm I just got an email about a November 16th audition in Boston. (Regular, not college.)
Only one person on here for Boston? I would've expected more than that...
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

billiej wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:28 am
flutist319 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:14 pm I just got an email about a November 16th audition in Boston. (Regular, not college.)
I was thinking the same - I guess we are skipped over.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

4 months in the pool now. I keep checking jeopardy.com to see when audience tickets become available for future tape dates. I've been distracted by Halloween and the NYC Marathon the past few weeks, but post Sunday, I'll be back to obsessing about why I'm not getting The Call. Perhaps Dec 5 or 6??? :?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:01 pm 4 months in the pool now. I keep checking jeopardy.com to see when audience tickets become available for future tape dates. I've been distracted by Halloween and the NYC Marathon the past few weeks, but post Sunday, I'll be back to obsessing about why I'm not getting The Call. Perhaps Dec 5 or 6??? :?
Take it from a former pool swimmer, the obsessing is perfectly natural, but unwarranted. The simple fact of them needing more people than they can book prevents a lot of good people like us from getting called right away. I'm taking the opportunity to anticipate with relish my next pool swim (where are you, Vancouver auditions?) so I can start ignoring my own advice again and worrying why I hadn't been called yet (as I make my way back to the hotel after the audition, no doubt.)

Hoping your swim this time is successful though and the Jeopardy! gods smile on you!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:48 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:01 pm 4 months in the pool now. I keep checking jeopardy.com to see when audience tickets become available for future tape dates. I've been distracted by Halloween and the NYC Marathon the past few weeks, but post Sunday, I'll be back to obsessing about why I'm not getting The Call. Perhaps Dec 5 or 6??? :?
Take it from a former pool swimmer, the obsessing is perfectly natural, but unwarranted. The simple fact of them needing more people than they can book prevents a lot of good people like us from getting called right away. I'm taking the opportunity to anticipate with relish my next pool swim (where are you, Vancouver auditions?) so I can start ignoring my own advice again and worrying why I hadn't been called yet (as I make my way back to the hotel after the audition, no doubt.)

Hoping your swim this time is successful though and the Jeopardy! gods smile on you!
Seconded. Also, the itch subsides quite a bit once you've gone for your second, third, fourth dip in the pool. For me the anti-itch trick is to watch the show while on the treadmill.
PhilKohn
Contributor

Post by PhilKohn »

squarekara wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:53 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:38 am FWIW, this is the most depressing thread ever

Even more depressing: when I hear that many players auditioned 2, 3, 4 or more times before getting on the show, my soul is crushed

I've had one audition - that's right - one - after 'passing' the online test consistently for many years. 7 or 8 years for 1 audition, while others get an audition almost every year.

I suspect there are sinister forces at work here

On the upside, I am enjoying my swim in the pool and I believe The Call will come. God help me if it doesn't :P
Through dumb luck, I had a first audition earlier this year after my first online test, but my husband, a seasoned test-taker, is still waiting, waiting, waiting with fingers crossed. We can't will an audition invite--it's like a lightning strike, so celebrate mightily if you get one. We have to view this thread with hope, anticipation, and goodwill toward those who have been tapped to audition, or else, yeah, it becomes a source of daily disappointment--the proverbial "watched pot." Congrats to those who've been summoned by the "Jeopardy!" Gods (or their electronic minions). You are going to stand in the presence of Glenn, Maggie, Corina, and their associates, and that is an awesome prize in itself. I've encountered people who received The Call mere weeks after auditioning all the way to TWO YEARS afterward, well past the time they'd assumed they were thoroughly dried off from their swim in the pool. Chin up, Morbeedo. The J!Gods work in mysterious ways, none of them sinister. It'll happen for you at the right time, whenever that may be!
Yes, indeed: Patience is the watchword. You'll note that my signature says "Jeopardy! Contestant (Season 34) after 51 years of trying!" That math is actually correct! I first tried out for Jeopardy! when Art Fleming was the host, back in 1966, when the show was taped at Rockefeller Center in New York City. I was a college student at the time. I got the audition, did well on the in-person test (I believe), played well in the practice game and thought I did well in the interview. But, I never got the call.
I next tried out in the early 1990s, at one of the "cattle call" tryouts held at Resorts International in Atlantic City, NJ, when Merv Griffin owned the property. They held tryouts there once or twice a year for several years until Merv sold the property. I took a preliminary test, made the cut, then went to an audition upstairs where we took the 50-question test then and there, filled out questionnaires, played a practice round of Jeopardy! and then did brief interviews. Once again, I never got the call.
Once they started giving the Online Test, I took about 3 or 4 of them, but never got a nibble.
Finally, as they say, the third time was the charm, for me.
Online Test: January 27, 2016
E-mail invite to "full audition" received September 8, 2016
Full audition (New York City) October 12, 2016
Call from Contestant Coordinator Lauri Janover that they wanted to book me for a taping: June 28, 2017
Taping Day at Sony Pictures Studios (Culver City, CA): August 8, 2017
All in all, for me, approximately 18-1/2 months from test-taking to show-taping. 7-1/2 months twixt test and audition invite; 7-1/2 months between audition and booking call.
And after only 51 years!
But it was definitely worth the wait.
As I told Maggie and the other Contestant Coordinators: I'm definitely the poster boy for "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!"
Good luck! Keep trying! And, most of all, have patience. If it's meant to be, it will happen.
Jeopardy! Contestant (finally!) after 51 years of trying! Jeopardy! match #34-34, Contestant #3, aired 10/26/2017
PhilKohn
Contributor

Post by PhilKohn »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:23 am
billiej wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:28 am
I was thinking the same - I guess we are skipped over.
Not to fret, Bostonians. When I did my audition (in October 2016) in New York City, we had 15 present (three were no-shows). But in my group, New England was well represented: We had 3 from Pennsylvania, 4 from New York, 1 from Maine, 1 from Connecticut, 1 from New Hampshire, 4 from Massachusetts, and 1 from New Jersey (me). So you could have folks coming from fairly long distances coming to your fair city. Good luck on the interview!
Jeopardy! Contestant (finally!) after 51 years of trying! Jeopardy! match #34-34, Contestant #3, aired 10/26/2017
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

Oh, Phil, you give me hope!

When I tell people I've wanted to be on Jeopardy for over 50 years, they look at me like I've lost my mind. But I have vivid memories of watching the original version - I was 4 when it started!

:)
Woof

Post by Woof »

rouquinne wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:15 am Oh, Phil, you give me hope!

When I tell people I've wanted to be on Jeopardy for over 50 years, they look at me like I've lost my mind. But I have vivid memories of watching the original version - I was 4 when it started!

:)
You and me both, Rouquinne. I was out of school for a prolonged period in the Fall of 1969 and J! was one of the few rays of sunshine in a daytime TV lineup heavy with soap operas (and intellectually stultifying content such as Let's Make A Deal [though now I realize that there's some serious math behind it] :mrgreen: )
toganet
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by toganet »

rouquinne wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:37 pm
NoWhammies10 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:20 pm TORONTO!

Check your emails. Just got an invite to an audition on November 14th. I am OVER THE MOON!
2:00? If so, see you there! :D
I'll be there! Just joined these forums and trying to absorb as much second-hand luck as I can in the meantime.
Carolyn
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Carolyn »

Online test: June 1st, 2017
Audition Invite Email: October 4th, 2017
In-person audition (Los Angeles): November 2nd, 2017

Also hello I am new here! Looking forward to spending the next 18 months stressing out about The Call. :D
acestone
Contributor

Post by acestone »

Anyone else notice that they seemed to group the buzzer round based on test scores from high to low? The question is does it even matter? So hard to read who they liked and who they didn't!
Storyteller
Contributor

Post by Storyteller »

acestone wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:59 pm Anyone else notice that they seemed to group the buzzer round based on test scores from high to low? The question is does it even matter? So hard to read who they liked and who they didn't!
In my audition I noticed this. The first group answered all the clues, and as each group of three played the mock game, the likelihood there was one or more triple-stumpers grew. That being said, you (and I) can't be sure this is so, although it's nice to hear someone express the same suspicion I had when I finished my audition.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

acestone wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:59 pm Anyone else notice that they seemed to group the buzzer round based on test scores from high to low? The question is does it even matter? So hard to read who they liked and who they didn't!
I don’t know if it’s based on only test scores, but I do think they put the people that have the best chance to make the show (based on score *and* personality) in the earlier groups.

I auditioned a couple of years ago with 17 other people. The only two people who ultimately made the show were in the first group called for the mock game.

One of those was JOSH! who stood out in the pre-test chitchat because of his LOUDNESS and his golf shirt. The other was a pretty, engaging woman named Lauren who also stood out before the test just on likeability. She eventually made the Teachers Tournament. They may have been the highest test scorers and therefore picked for the first mock game but I think it more likely they were picked because of their personalities.
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

toganet wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:58 pm
rouquinne wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:37 pm
NoWhammies10 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:20 pm TORONTO!

Check your emails. Just got an invite to an audition on November 14th. I am OVER THE MOON!
2:00? If so, see you there! :D
I'll be there! Just joined these forums and trying to absorb as much second-hand luck as I can in the meantime.
Lovely to meet you today, Garret, sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye but I understand your desire to avoid Toronto's crazy rush hour traffic while I stayed and chatted until Maggie tossed me out!

:lol:
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

So based on the conversation between acestone, Storyteller and InigoMontoya, I'd like to think I have a good chance at making it on to the show, but I don't think I did all that well on the written test at the audition today.

And I was called up as part of the first group today, just as I was at my first audition!

:lol:

The only person from my first audition group that made it on to the show was called in the second last group, and he played for the Hamilton Tiger Cats, which happens to be Alex's favourite CFL team.

Speaking of Alex..... yeah, he made a surprize appearance today and I got to shake hands with him and I still haven't come down from the high!

I will be blogging my experience at this audition just as I did my first - but it's going to have to wait for tomorrow - I'm zonked!

Anyway, I hear tell that some other lurking boardies were at my audition today - so y'all consider yourselves *hugged* and it was a delight to spend my afternoon with you!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

This whole test scores determine the group seems to make sense as it would explain why they bother to take the time to score the test during the in person audition while everyone is there. Up until now, I really wondered why they would do that since everyone at the in person audition played the mock game.
Total game show career losings = $171,522