Learned League 74 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by mennoknight »

boson wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:23 pm
Troydozzy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:38 pm Congrats to the boardies doing well in the 1Ds! I'm crashing and burning on nearly every one. I've overthought so many questions since the regular season has ended, but I'm having a lot of fun watching others kick butt.
Indeed. Does TomK win everything, or does it just seem that way? congrats!
He's somethin. I had a real leg up on that British Columbia 1DS. Had a hard time figuring out which questions to money, because I didn't have to think about a single one, but I guess it worked out. Finally, a benefit to growing up in Canada's best province!
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

chris311fan wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:44 am Unfortunately, I have not unlocked the ability to reply to your PM. Name : Chris Konicki email: Jetsfankonicki@gmail.com

thanks very much

you may reach out to me via that email as well!
I'm about to enter the referral on the Learned League site. Before I do, I assume you're aware that the two Big No-Nos in LL are Don't Cheat and Don't Forfeit. Now that we've got that out of the way, good luck!

Aside: I'm originally from New Jersey and grew up rooting for the Jets. A college classmate of mine likes to call me "Long-Suffering Jets Fan", which is kind of redundant.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

mennoknight wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:58 am
boson wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:23 pm
Troydozzy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:38 pm Congrats to the boardies doing well in the 1Ds! I'm crashing and burning on nearly every one. I've overthought so many questions since the regular season has ended, but I'm having a lot of fun watching others kick butt.
Indeed. Does TomK win everything, or does it just seem that way? congrats!
He's somethin. I had a real leg up on that British Columbia 1DS. Had a hard time figuring out which questions to money, because I didn't have to think about a single one, but I guess it worked out. Finally, a benefit to growing up in Canada's best province!
Congrats on that one! I was a tester, so didn't compete on it. I lived there for 5 years in the 90s, so I would have done ok, but I was clueless on several - good job.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Well this is disappointing. I ran the Murder Ballads one day and thought I had a chance to win it. I ended up in 16th place. I was dead last among those that got all 12 right. I actually got beat by someone who only got 9!
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

I just clicked on the "NASCAR" 1D and was surprised to find I'm eligible to submit responses. So I did. And then got wrong one of the questions I'd tagged as a "money" question. LOL DERP. Oh well.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

zerobandwidth wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:16 am I just clicked on the "NASCAR" 1D and was surprised to find I'm eligible to submit responses.
They're open to everyone.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

econgator wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:17 am
zerobandwidth wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:16 am I just clicked on the "NASCAR" 1D and was surprised to find I'm eligible to submit responses.
Maybe I was thinking of the mini-leagues that didn't open immediately to rookies. Derp.
Boy, this bodes well for me in LL75, doesn't it? :lol:

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

econgator wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:17 am
I assume his surprise comes from the fact that he'll be a new rookie in the upcoming QQ75. Yes, once your membership is live, you'll be able to play 1-Days, and it's a good idea to do so, to get a feel for how the website interface works. I don't know if your scores will be available, or if your answers will be counted towards moneying, though. I'm sure Thorsten has addressed this on the website somewhere at some point, but I can't find it.

One piece of advice I recommend to you as a new Rookie, check any box that will email you your answers. You will have questions about either what your response was, or whether a question was reworded/corrected after you saw it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

zerobandwidth wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:16 am I just clicked on the "NASCAR" 1D and was surprised to find I'm eligible to submit responses. So I did. And then got wrong one of the questions I'd tagged as a "money" question. LOL DERP. Oh well.
No shame in that. The money questions are so important you really need to take a chance on some of them you're not sure about if you want to score well.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:39 am I assume his surprise comes from the fact that he'll be a new rookie in the upcoming QQ75. Yes, once your membership is live, you'll be able to play 1-Days, and it's a good idea to do so, to get a feel for how the website interface works. I don't know if your scores will be available, or if your answers will be counted towards moneying, though. I'm sure Thorsten has addressed this on the website somewhere at some point, but I can't find it.

One piece of advice I recommend to you as a new Rookie, check any box that will email you your answers. You will have questions about either what your response was, or whether a question was reworded/corrected after you saw it.
Good advice, thanks.

I see the scores are posted and I'm not among them. Womp womp. Oh well. I would have had:
60 0 15 32 15 15 44 49 15 15 15 0 = 275 (10/12) for a share of 173rd place (60%) :lol:

1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

zerobandwidth wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:21 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:39 am I assume his surprise comes from the fact that he'll be a new rookie in the upcoming QQ75. Yes, once your membership is live, you'll be able to play 1-Days, and it's a good idea to do so, to get a feel for how the website interface works. I don't know if your scores will be available, or if your answers will be counted towards moneying, though. I'm sure Thorsten has addressed this on the website somewhere at some point, but I can't find it.

Good advice, thanks.

I see the scores are posted and I'm not among them. Womp womp. Oh well. I would have had:
60 0 15 32 15 15 44 49 15 15 15 0 = 275 (10/12) for a share of 173rd place (60%) :lol:
Rookies can answer questions, but their scores won't be recorded.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I participated in 1DS Novelty Music 2, got 9 right, and finished in 51st place, which is satisfying enough. But ideal moneying would have meant an 8th place finish! Such is the lament of a player who is unwilling to money wild guesses that turn out to be right.
Spoiler
Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer, Penny Arcade, and Crazy Frog
were my correct wild guesses, and the last two were in the top 5 missed of the ones I got right.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I could have won the Defunct One-Day if I'd had the resolve to money LearnedLeague. :|
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:53 am I could have won the Defunct One-Day if I'd had the resolve to money LearnedLeague. :|
I just saw that post on the LL site. On the Bats 1DS I could've finished in the top 10 with better moneying, but alas...
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Anyone else interested in joining a private rundle? I'm the odd one out right now in one.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:56 pm Anyone else interested in joining a private rundle? I'm the odd one out right now in one.
Sure. PM me the rundle name and reg code.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I'm happy to join a Private Rundle, too
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I sent the first invite to RandyG. If we need another person to even it out, I'll send it to you as well.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:56 am I'm happy to join a Private Rundle, too
Now I'm the odd man out... sending you the invite info via PM.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was able to work out all twelve correct answers in the Fully Palindromic 1DS (I think that's only the third time I've gone 12/12 in a 1DS, and I won the other two), but alas, one of my moneys was outside of the top five missed, and so instead of tying for first, I tied for 98th. I thought "Amen" was obscure enough that people wouldn't know it, and short enough that it would be hard to derive, but on second glance, the fact that its reverse was contained entirely in one of the less obscure answers (indeed, the least missed of the quiz) should have steered me away from it. I guess I overestimated how well-known "sui generis" was, also.