Monday, October 30, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Re: Monday, October 30, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by harrumph »

zerobandwidth wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:35 pm

The TS for Colorado Springs was baffling. But maybe that's just because I watched Stargate: SG-1.
I got to it from watching Homicide Hunter: Lt Joe Kenda.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I knew embouchure because my band teachers were always getting on me for mine being terrible playing clarinet.

The namesake of Fort Wayne, General "Mad Anthony" Wayne, is responsible for one of my favorite minor league sports team names - basketball's Fort Wayne Mad Ants.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:50 am
Ironhorse wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:12 pm My fear is that the younger generation will only know Zevon for providing the sample for that Kid Rock song.
I have a feeling "Werewolves..." will still be played long after nearly everyone's forgotten about Kid Rock.
Excitable Boy is a classic album, with Werewolves, Roland, Lawyers, Guns and Money on it in addition to the title track. However, his last album is one of the moving pieces of popular music I've ever heard. I can't listen to it without tearing up (as in fact I'm doing now just writing this).

As for this game, Anand certainly made his claim as a player to be watched, but his overly timid wagers could come back to harm him in a closer game. Morgan was a bit painful to watch as she did seemingly get more desperate as the game wore on but still couldn't muster a competitive bet when graced with a DD in DJ. Lots of Lach trash though I agree about the difficulty of the "Ant" man category.
mikebdoss
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mikebdoss »

Woof wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:33 pm Excitable Boy is a classic album, with Werewolves, Roland, Lawyers, Guns and Money on it in addition to the title track. However, his last album is one of the moving pieces of popular music I've ever heard. I can't listen to it without tearing up (as in fact I'm doing now just writing this).
This week is the 15th anniversary of Zevon's final appearance on Letterman. Man, he was great.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

mikebdoss wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:17 pm
Woof wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:33 pm Excitable Boy is a classic album, with Werewolves, Roland, Lawyers, Guns and Money on it in addition to the title track. However, his last album is one of the moving pieces of popular music I've ever heard. I can't listen to it without tearing up (as in fact I'm doing now just writing this).
This week is the 15th anniversary of Zevon's final appearance on Letterman. Man, he was great.
I actually remember that. It was at the time, one of the only musical performances on Letterman that I enjoyed. Because at the time, it felt like every musical guest was some combination of angry/whiny/screamy. I remember Garbage doing some song where some lady whined about cutting yourself with scissors and how you can bleed like her.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:16 pm
I actually remember that. It was at the time, one of the only musical performances on Letterman that I enjoyed. Because at the time, it felt like every musical guest was some combination of angry/whiny/screamy. I remember Garbage doing some song where some lady whined about cutting yourself with scissors and how you can bleed like her.
To be fair, she was only happy when it rained.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:26 pm
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the point in songs that whine and moan about problems. It's why I can't stand Garbage, why Green Day is hit and miss for me, and why I would rather shove an entire box of thumbtacks in my eyeballs than listen to "7 Years" again.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:32 pm
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the point in songs that whine and moan about problems.
Well, that rules out pretty much the entire Blues genre, most of Jazz, probably about half of Opera and a good bit of Country.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:32 pmMaybe it's just me, but I don't see the point in songs that whine and moan about problems.
Too... many... possible replies. BRAIN OVERLOAD.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

She was no stupid girl though.
RoJo
Contributor

Post by RoJo »

Maybe it depends on the presentation.
http://youtu.be/NVICMt7Owvs
Last edited by RoJo on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i am probably the least read master's degree holder, but i even knew that watership down was not written in 1870...the dude who wrote the book just died last year
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

28 right.

Wolverine (1), "ANT" (2), Avengers (3), Fantastic 4 (4), Cap (3), Marvel (0)
Leaders (5), 10-Letter Words (0), "Z" Entertainment (3), Vocabulary (1), States (5), Loss (1)

Lach Trash: Warren Zevon, Tulsa, Colorado Springs, Fort Wayne

Instaget FJ.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $38,200
45 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: antecedent, Captain Kidd, antepenultimate, Warren Zevon, Leg (DD), ear, cockamamie, Tulsa, Fort Wayne

Interesting that in the same round, we had Nick Fury and the Furies. Sounds like a band name from a cornball teen sitcom.
Sprinkles are for winners.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Charles here! A little late to the game, but I figured I'd post my thoughts.

First of all, Anand played a fantastic game and deserved the win. We had a pretty hard board and he killed it. Morgan was a super fun person and really enjoyable to share the stage with. I got a lot of flak back home for not getting Rocket Raccoon and Tulsa, but on the other hand, having graduated from NC State in Raleigh, I was obligated to get Raleigh, or else I'd never be able to show my face again.

The whole thing was an unbelievable experience - getting to meet Alex, the contestant coordinators (fun fact, an aptronym is a term for someone whose name is oddly suited to their job, and Maggie Speak is definitely an aptronym - and she does it so well), and my fellow contestants, and crossing probably the biggest item off my bucket list, even if I didn't win. I'm not sure if getting called for the first game of the day was a plus or a minus for me, but for anyone who hasn't been on the show and is trying to get there, when you do, my biggest piece of advice is to figure out your timing during the warmup/rehearsal. You get a few chances to go up on stage and practice with the buzzers on live clues. I don't know what the best practice would be, but I suspect that if you punt a few clues in favor of figuring out the exact timing of when the lights come on (i.e. don't even try to ring in...just look and see when the lights come on and you can buzz), you'll do better when the game is real.

Also, thanks for the (mostly) love for my FJ response. I should have gotten it right (seems so obvious in retrospect) but in the moment, I just couldn't think of anything. Guess it worked out in the end (as well as it could have, since Anand had the game locked up).
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Chuck, that FJ response is an all-time classic! No takebacks! And you could make a cottage industry out of your speaking voice. Have you ever considered broadcasting/voice over work?
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

econgator wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:56 pm
goatman wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:35 pm Warren Zevon (Roland the Thompson Gunner! :-)
Headless Thompson Gunner .... :P
Yes, but respectfully request you go YouTube and listen to full track! :o
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

squarekara wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:30 pm Chuck, that FJ response is an all-time classic! No takebacks! And you could make a cottage industry out of your speaking voice. Have you ever considered broadcasting/voice over work?
You're too kind - I host bar trivia semi-regularly, and I've wanted to do voice acting as a side business for awhile, actually. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure where to start, nor would I have the time right now (although if I end up with a teaching job, I might try to revive that idea).

Actually, during our recent house-buying process, my girlfriend and I came across a house that was sort of "ehh" to both of us, but while touring it, she and the realtor came across this room in the basement, probably no more than 5 feet by 5 feet, with a sliding door. They wondered what it was, and called me over to look at it (I was distracted by another room at the moment), and I saw the foam insulation on the walls and instantly recognized it as a soundproof recording room, and my opinion of the house instantly went from a 2/10 to maybe a 4/10 (so we didn't end up buying that house).
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:16 pm Morgan worked in Dinky Donkey, Dorky Donkey and Badonka Donkey as possible names for wanting a miniature donkey with her winnings. What do those things go for? Hope it’s under a grand?
OMG

I LOLd :lol:

I'm catching up on the past few weeks (pre- and post-TOC). Here's a question - if you're running out of time in FJ, could you write 20K Leagues Under the C for the book title? or would that get negged? If/when I get on the show, I'm going to ask that question
davey

Post by davey »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:47 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:16 pm Morgan worked in Dinky Donkey, Dorky Donkey and Badonka Donkey as possible names for wanting a miniature donkey with her winnings. What do those things go for? Hope it’s under a grand?
OMG

I LOLd :lol:

I'm catching up on the past few weeks (pre- and post-TOC). Here's a question - if you're running out of time in FJ, could you write 20K Leagues Under the C for the book title? or would that get negged? If/when I get on the show, I'm going to ask that question
This is mentioned in the thread to the Saturday poll for the week. K is a standard abbreviation for a thousand, so there's a possibility they'd accept it. I would. Though there is the problem that we're talking about a title that's never rendered that way, not just a number.
C is a standard abbreviation for Century...and Centigrade...but never for the word "sea" that I know of. So it's no on that...Although you could argue that it's just a misspelling of "sea," I suppose... :roll: