Denny McLain, the AJ Score, and Predicting the 2017 Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Denny McLain, the AJ Score, and Predicting the 2017 Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Post by dhkendall »

“AJ Score”. I see what you did there, Mr. Alex Jacob!

Nice work, I’m glad there’s an alternative to Coryat for measuring in these type of situations and I think it’ll get a fair bit of use over the coming years, especially from the stat obsessed among us.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Denny McLain, the AJ Score, and Predicting the 2017 Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Post by sarisson »

I like this a lot. For multiple reasons, but mainly because it's been an extremely accurate predictor of who makes it to the finals.
I came up with a "Jeopardy passer rating" a while ago, where DD's and Finals are analogous to touchdowns, and negs to interceptions, but the AJ Score is better. Can the Archivists add "AJ Score" to the stat pages of TOCers?
Hoping for a third lap
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

sarisson wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:32 pmCan the Archivists add "AJ Score" to the stat pages of TOCers?
It's already there (for everyone, not just ToCers), as "DJ! score."
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I really enjoyed this article. The one thing that I thought was missing that I wasn't sure if it belonged or not was bottom-row clue conversion rate. Since the bottom row has a much lower conversion percentage, the expectation value per known clue is much higher, so I was wondering if any of the people who have done Jeopardy! sabermetrics so far has found out how important that is compared to other things.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:10 am I really enjoyed this article. The one thing that I thought was missing that I wasn't sure if it belonged or not was bottom-row clue conversion rate. Since the bottom row has a much lower conversion percentage, the expectation value per known clue is much higher, so I was wondering if any of the people who have done Jeopardy! sabermetrics so far has found out how important that is compared to other things.
With 60% of the value of the board there I tracked my percentage on the $1600 & $2000 clues for a while. Having that information has kept me from several incorrect guesses, so I think it’s important.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:10 am I really enjoyed this article. The one thing that I thought was missing that I wasn't sure if it belonged or not was bottom-row clue conversion rate. Since the bottom row has a much lower conversion percentage, the expectation value per known clue is much higher, so I was wondering if any of the people who have done Jeopardy! sabermetrics so far has found out how important that is compared to other things.
I've tracked this for the ToCers as part of the "Low-Level Clues, Net" and "High-Level Clues, Net". "Low-Level" is $200, $400, and $600, and "High-Level" is $800 & $1000, my thought being that players who do better at the bottom of the board normally will do better in ToC-level competition. Also, I track it as a net average per game score, so a correct response earns +1 and an incorrect response earns -1.

That said:
Spoiler
Buzzy yesterday (net 4.6/g on high-level clues in his regular games) may have completely torpedoed that theory.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan