The Buzzer!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: The Buzzer!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:10 pm
squarekara wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:38 pm Don't worry about that "flexible thumbs" line. There's no hard and fast rule about handling the buzzer. (I did not use my thumb.) As long as your method doesn't wreck the equipment, they don't care how you depress the button. They want you to be as comfortable as possible, so definitely let them know about your limitations. The button/hip suggestion is great, but you can also ask for the use of a fixed surface (chair back, table, clipboard) against which to press the device--whatever allows you to remain poised and focused. Best of luck!
In thinking about your response, I wonder how it would work to hold the buzzer with a pencil-like grip upside down against the top of the lectern, and simply press down to activate the button. Have to wonder if somone's ever tried that.
Do they still tell you to "click-click-click" when you're ready to ring in? I don't imagine "clunk-clunk-clunk" passes the "try not to break the equipment" test.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:39 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:10 pm
squarekara wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:38 pm Don't worry about that "flexible thumbs" line. There's no hard and fast rule about handling the buzzer. (I did not use my thumb.) As long as your method doesn't wreck the equipment, they don't care how you depress the button. They want you to be as comfortable as possible, so definitely let them know about your limitations. The button/hip suggestion is great, but you can also ask for the use of a fixed surface (chair back, table, clipboard) against which to press the device--whatever allows you to remain poised and focused. Best of luck!
In thinking about your response, I wonder how it would work to hold the buzzer with a pencil-like grip upside down against the top of the lectern, and simply press down to activate the button. Have to wonder if somone's ever tried that.
Do they still tell you to "click-click-click" when you're ready to ring in? I don't imagine "clunk-clunk-clunk" passes the "try not to break the equipment" test.
I think it would be possible to finesse this without harming the buzzer. Take along a small silicone pad (like a coaster) to cushion the impact, and let the staff know you've been brainstorming ways of competing despite your particular physical condition. Ask that they inspect and approve any outside objects for gameplay and ask for their input. Not only does this distinguish you as a serious player, but you're also showing consideration for their precious tech equipment--can't hurt your prospects. Keep in mind, though, for the purposes of the audition and mock game, not being the first one to ring in isn't a dealbreaker. They're primarily concerned with personality and attitude. Don't let this issue be the most memorable thing about you. Do not stress out about this.
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:34 pm Worse comes to worse, you can request a designated buzzer-er. I suggest Watson. :D
:lol:

Don't know how I missed this the first time I read your post, D!

I've got Bob Harris' book on my Kobo, I'll see if I can find his description of buzzer technique.

Thanks again, a million times. Trying out different ways of doing this ahead of the audition has been an exercise in pain. I do have a call in to my doctor at the hand clinic (featured in Michael Moore's "Sicko"), to see if we can talk solutions. It's apparently unusual to have such highly localized arthritis, especially bilaterally. Maybe science could catch up and miniaturize a pain blocking device like the ones for the spine!

:)
PhilKohn
Contributor

Post by PhilKohn »

As I recall from our morning session before going onstage to rehearse games, Contestant Producer Maggie Speak spent about 45 minutes or so with all of us going over dos, don'ts, what to do if (something goes wrong), etc. We also had around 5 minutes or so of "buzzer practice" with the Jeopardy! pens acting as surrogate buzzers (they are not bad, but not exactly the same). As I remember, Maggie pointed out that people always seem locked in about how to buzz in. That is, right handers go with right thumb, lefties go with left thumb. But she said to try alternatives: use index fingers, middle fingers -- whatever works to help you. I do not remember that she said you could NOT use two hands. I would ask.
And yes, as at least one respondee above answered, at the "full interview" you play the game with the actual buzzers, so you can get a real feel. As suggested, bring any issues up then. I don't think that would be a disqualifier. They are trying to get the most-engaging people who can play the game onto the show. I think it's safe to say they will find a way around any issue that comes up if they want YOU!
Good luck!
Jeopardy! Contestant (finally!) after 51 years of trying! Jeopardy! match #34-34, Contestant #3, aired 10/26/2017
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

PhilKohn wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:38 pm middle fingers -- whatever works to help you.
Wholeheartedly agree.

Are we still talking about the buzzer? :lol:
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

I just want to thank you all again for your suggestions and tips. Tonight, playing along at home, was my third night of using my index finger on my pen from my last audition and I'm getting really comfortable with it. By the time I get to the audition next Tuesday, I think I'll be fairly good with it.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

rouquinne wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:50 pm I just want to thank you all again for your suggestions and tips. Tonight, playing along at home, was my third night of using my index finger on my pen from my last audition and I'm getting really comfortable with it. By the time I get to the audition next Tuesday, I think I'll be fairly good with it.

That's great! So glad there was an easy way around this. Good luck in the audition. Don't forget to turn your personality up to 11. (I.e. don't be fake, just be yourself but more so.)
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:21 pm
rouquinne wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:50 pm I just want to thank you all again for your suggestions and tips. Tonight, playing along at home, was my third night of using my index finger on my pen from my last audition and I'm getting really comfortable with it. By the time I get to the audition next Tuesday, I think I'll be fairly good with it.

That's great! So glad there was an easy way around this. Good luck in the audition. Don't forget to turn your personality up to 11. (I.e. don't be fake, just be yourself but more so.)
This, a thousand times this.

It’s great that you’re planning ahead for the audition’s mock game play, but job one is to be remembered as a BIG PERSONALITY! e.g., it behooves you to be the LOUDEST voice (and BIGGEST smile!) responding to Maggie’s initial “good morning everybody.”

I am quite certain that the biggest factor behind getting The Call after just 2 months in the pool was NOT because of my 35/50 test score or because I successfully buzzed in once or twice during the mock game - it was because this introverted MAWG managed 2hrs of exuberance with no fear of embarrassment. :)

Good luck and have a ball at that audition! :D
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

Thank you, gentleman and penguin, but I wish to point out that I am a redhead with personality to spare, and trust me, I sassed Maggie at my last audition as much as she sassed me!

However, 4 years ago, I was also up against the 2 months worth of games given over to the Battle of the Decades so there were fewer chances for them to invite all this awesomeness on the show!

(Yeah, I know... I'm really not that much of a braggart, but it's after midnight, I'm still awake and waiting for the pain killers to kick in since both hands are aching BAD tonight!)
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

rouquinne wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:10 am Thank you, gentleman and penguin, but I wish to point out that I am a redhead with personality to spare, and trust me, I sassed Maggie at my last audition as much as she sassed me!
Nice! I will be thinking good thoughts for you on Tuesday - this is your time!! 8-)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

Smash the buzzer into your forehead, heavy metal-style.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

chmmr wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:07 pm Smash the buzzer into your forehead, heavy metal-style.
Then bite its head off!
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

PhilKohn wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:38 pm As I recall from our morning session before going onstage to rehearse games, Contestant Producer Maggie Speak spent about 45 minutes or so with all of us going over dos, don'ts, what to do if (something goes wrong), etc. We also had around 5 minutes or so of "buzzer practice" with the Jeopardy! pens acting as surrogate buzzers (they are not bad, but not exactly the same). As I remember, Maggie pointed out that people always seem locked in about how to buzz in. That is, right handers go with right thumb, lefties go with left thumb. But she said to try alternatives: use index fingers, middle fingers -- whatever works to help you. I do not remember that she said you could NOT use two hands. I would ask.
And yes, as at least one respondee above answered, at the "full interview" you play the game with the actual buzzers, so you can get a real feel. As suggested, bring any issues up then. I don't think that would be a disqualifier. They are trying to get the most-engaging people who can play the game onto the show. I think it's safe to say they will find a way around any issue that comes up if they want YOU!
Good luck!
Maggie told my audition group to "do this" (clicks using thumb); "NOT THIS" (clicks using index finger). I remember thinking this was strange since I was sure I had seen contestants clicking with the index finger, and in any case why would she care what finger we used?
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:44 pm
chmmr wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:07 pm Smash the buzzer into your forehead, heavy metal-style.
Then bite its head off!
<johnny>…and our returning champion, a musical performance artist from Aston, England, Ozzy Osbourne, whose 13-day cash winnings total WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!</johnny>
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

zerobandwidth wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:02 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:44 pm
Then bite its head off!
<johnny>…and our returning champion, a musical performance artist from Aston, England, Ozzy Osbourne, whose 13-day cash winnings total WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!</johnny>
I don’t think citizens of England qualify...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

I didn't take any bites out of the buzzer, or smash it into my forehead.... damn, I wonder if that could have helped! :lol:

Maggie was fine with me using my index finger to click the buzzer and it worked quite well for me, I held my own against my competitors in my mock game today.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

rouquinne wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:19 pm I didn't take any bites out of the buzzer, or smash it into my forehead.... damn, I wonder if that could have helped! :lol:

Maggie was fine with me using my index finger to click the buzzer and it worked quite well for me, I held my own against my competitors in my mock game today.
I wonder if smashing the buzzer into your opponents forehead would be allowed...

Glad it worked out for you, keep that finger limber!
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

rouquinne wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:19 pm I didn't take any bites out of the buzzer, or smash it into my forehead.... damn, I wonder if that could have helped! :lol:

Great to hear! And good luck with getting The Call.
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:24 am

I wonder if smashing the buzzer into your opponents forehead would be allowed...
As I said to Maggie yesterday, I work with judges and lawyers at a courthouse, I have to stay out of trouble!

;)
PhilKohn
Contributor

Post by PhilKohn »

Good news on your buzzer success, Rouquinne! It took almost eight months for "The Call" to come after I had my audition (which over the years was my third audition). So patience is the watchword here. Keep us posted going forward! Keeping fingers crossed for you.
Jeopardy! Contestant (finally!) after 51 years of trying! Jeopardy! match #34-34, Contestant #3, aired 10/26/2017