Wednesday, November 8, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7628, 2017-11-08

2017 Tournament of Champions quarterfinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
David Clemmons, an 11th grade U.S. history teacher in Keller, Texas from Fort Worth, Texas
Alan Lin, a software engineer from Riverside, California
Austin Rogers, a bartender from New York, New York

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: [To Austin] The same move. Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. As Miss Jean Brodie would say, "The Tournament of Champions always features the creme de la creme." And that's what we have in David, Alan and Austin today. Good luck, fellas. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round begins with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
RUSSIAN INVOLVEMENT (5/5)
EMMY, GRAMMY, OSCAR, TONY (4/5)
WORDS FROM NATIVE AMERICAN LANGUAGES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SWEET STUFF (5/5)
GIVE US THE "____ING" TITLE! (3/5)
WHAT DO YOU COLLECT? (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alan: 15 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Austin: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
David: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 4 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Alan: $3,000
David: $1,600
Austin: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: David Clemmons was a Teachers Tournament champion. When you won that match, it was a very emotional moment for you. And all of the other contestants came out to congratulate you. You made a lot of friends, obviously, in that tournament. Have you kept up with a lot of them?

David: I have, I have. We've made a Facebook group to stay in touch with one another. Several have come to visit me at my home in Fort Worth, and we've had a great experience together with them. And one's in the audience with me today--Nan Cohen--as well as my family.

Alex: Good. That's great. Good news for us.

Alex: Alan Lin is a software engineer from Riverside, California. Now a lot of people who appear on our program wind up being recognized in public. You were recognized, if I'm correct, only once?

Alan: Yeah, only once by a stranger. So it was actually a real estate agent. And she handed me her card and told me when I'm ready to buy a house, go ahead and call her.

[Laughter]

Alex: Always working, those agents.

Alex: Austin Rogers, you're the most recent Jeopardy! champion to qualify for this tournament. So I'm wondering, does that give you an advantage because your appearances are fresher? What do you think?

Austin: Well, it's a little difficult because I haven't gotten paid yet. [Taps the lectern]

[Laughter]

Alex: I would love to say the check is in the mail, but the check is on that desk over there. And after this show is over, you will be given your check.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
David found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Austin had $400, Alan had $7,400, and David was at $1,200. David made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

WORDS FROM NATIVE AMERICAN LANGUAGES $400: It's the 9-letter name of the creature who is said to leave behind footprints measuring 24" long & 8" wide
(David: What is Bigfoot?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GIVE US THE "____ING" TITLE! $400: "____ing Ill of the Dead: Jerks in Montana History", edited by Dave Walter
(Alan: What is thinking?)

GIVE US THE "____ING" TITLE! $800: "____ing on My Feet" by Kerri Strug
(David: What is Thinking on My Feet?)
(Alex: Kerri Strug was an Olympic gymnast.)

EMMY, GRAMMY, OSCAR, TONY $600: One of "My Favorite Things" by this lyricist is "Ol' Man River"
(Austin: Who is Kern?)

WHAT DO YOU COLLECT? $1000: A deltiologist:
these greetings

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alan: $8,800
Austin: $600
David: -$200
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BROADWAY 2017 (5/5)
BOATS & SHIPS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BLAME IT ON THE SUPERNOVA (4/5)
REDUNDANT GEOGRAPHY (4/5)
NOTORIOUS (2/5)
YOU'LL STOP AT "NOTHING" (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alan: 12 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Austin: 10 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
David: 1 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Austin snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Austin had $3,400, Alan had $10,800, and David had a deficit with -$200. Austin made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,400.

BOATS & SHIPS $1200: A pirogue is one type of this, a canoe made from one log
(Austin: What is a kayak?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Alan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Austin had $8,000, Alan had $18,800, and David was at $1,400. Alan wagered $5.

YOU'LL STOP AT "NOTHING" $1200: Play title from around 1600 meaning a big fuss for no reason

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
REDUNDANT GEOGRAPHY $2000: Big River River (from Algonquian)

NOTORIOUS $800: Saying "Machine Gun" Jack McGurn was with her all day February 14, 1929, Louise Rolfe got the name "The Blonde" this

NOTORIOUS $1200: Kevin Poulsen & Kevin Mitnick are on Kaspersky Lab's list, "Top Ten Most Notorious" these "of All Time"

NOTORIOUS $2000: On July 7, 1865, this boardinghouse operator became the first woman executed by the U.S. government
(Alex: Involved in the assassination of President Lincoln.)

BLAME IT ON THE SUPERNOVA $1200: Before 1572, many thought no change could occur in the heavens beyond the moon's orbit; then this Dane saw a supernova
(Alan: Who is Copernicus?)
(Alex: No.)
(Alan: [Whispers] Ah. Polish.)

YOU'LL STOP AT "NOTHING" $2000: Boy: "Dad, I'll be good if you give me a dollar." Father: "A dollar?! When I was your age I was" this

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Alan: $19,605 (lock game)
Austin: $8,000
David: $1,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY POETS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Alan: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,604 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Austin: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $5,199 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
David: You've no hope of catching up... unless Austin does something stupid. So risk $1,399.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1824 he was refused burial in Westminster Abbey for "questionable morality"; in 1969 he got a memorial stone there

FINAL SCORES
David: $1,400 - $1,400 = $0 (Who is Longfellow) (3rd place)
Austin: $8,000 + $8,000 = $16,000 (Who was Lord Byron?) (2nd place)
Alan: $19,605 + $5 = $19,610 (Who is Lord Byron) (Automatic semifinalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Alan: $20,800, 27 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Austin: $11,400, 14 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
David: $2,600, 7 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $34,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Alan: 28/59 = .475
Austin: 15/59 = .254
David: 7/59 = .119
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WORDS FROM NATIVE AMERICAN LANGUAGES $800: Well, kiss my grits! This dish of whole or ground hulled corn was a gift from Native Americans to the colonists
(Austin: What is succotash?)

WORDS FROM NATIVE AMERICAN LANGUAGES $1000: The name of this raccoon-like mammal of Central and South America goes back to an Indian word for "wolverine"

EMMY, GRAMMY, OSCAR, TONY $800: Her credits include "Shameless" on TV & "The Phantom of the Opera" on film
(Austin: Who is [*]?)
(Alex: Yes, you're out of the hole.)
(Austin: EMMY, GRAMMY, OS--oh, I get it now!--$200.)

SWEET STUFF $600: In a 1934 film she sang, "On the good ship Lollipop, it's a sweet trip to a candy shop, where bon-bons play"
(Alex: I'm not allowed to sing these songs.)

SWEET STUFF $1000: On Mackinac Island, Ryba's is the place to go for this candy; try the maple pecan or chocolate walnut
(David: What is a praline?)

WHAT DO YOU COLLECT? $600: An arctophile:
these cuddly toys
(Alan: What are stuffed animals?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Alan: Uh, what are Beanie Babies?)

SWEET STUFF $200: A candy slogan asked, "How many licks does it take to get to" the center of one of these
(David: What is a Tootsie Roll Bar? ...Tootsie Roll--)
(Alex: No.)

BOATS & SHIPS $400: Here's the Flying Cloud, this type of speedy 19th century ship

BOATS & SHIPS $800: During World War II, a group of these operating in the Atlantic was known as a wolf pack
(Alan: What are submarines?)
(Alex: Submarines? Be more specific.)

REDUNDANT GEOGRAPHY $800: East East (Asian country)
(Austin: What is Timor? ...What is [*]?)
(Alex: Thank you.)

BOATS & SHIPS $2000: This British battleship had nothing to fear when it was launched in 1906 but was obsolete by World War I

BROADWAY 2017 $400: "Come From Away" tells how Gander, Newfoundland hosted 7,000 airline passengers stranded due to this tragic event

BROADWAY 2017 $800: "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" features Christian Borle singing the following as this character

BROADWAY 2017 $1200: Revived in 2017 & set during the final days of the Vietnam War, "Miss Saigon" was inspired by this Puccini opera

BROADWAY 2017 $1600: Ben Platt won the 2017 Tony for his performance as a high school senior coping with a classmate's death in this hit musical
(Alex: And Ben Platt will be leaving that hit show soon, but the show will continue.)

BROADWAY 2017 $2000: "War Paint" stars Christine Ebersole as Elizabeth Arden & this legendary performer as Helena Rubinstein

CORRECT RESPONSES
Sasquatch
Speaking Ill of the Dead
Landing on My Feet
Oscar Hammerstein
postcards
a dugout canoe
Much Ado About Nothing
the Mississippi River
the Blonde Alibi
hackers
Mary Surratt
Tycho Brahe
good for nothing
Lord Byron
hominy
kinkajou
Emmy Rossum
Shirley Temple
fudge
teddy bears
a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop
a clipper
U-boats
East Timor
the dreadnaught
September 11th
Willy Wonka
Madame Butterfly
Dear Evan Hansen
Patti LuPone
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY POETS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1824 he was refused burial in Westminster Abbey for “questionable morality”; in 1969 he got a memorial stone there

Austin Rogers: 8000+8000=16000
Alan Lin: 19605+5=19610 (Automatic Semi-Finalist)
David Clemmons: 1400-1400=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Lord Byron (David – Longfellow)

Daily Doubles
David: 1200-1200
Austin: 3400-3400
Alan: 18800+5

Coryats
Austin: 11400
Alan: 20800
David: 2600

Combined: 34,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Austin: 600
Alan: 8800
David: minus 200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This game reminded me of Robin Carroll’s TOC QF game with Michael Rooney stomping her. She made WC and took names & numbers in the semis. Austin had a poor game but the double-up in the FJ! round should get him to next week. He’ll need to adjust to a faster pace and bounce game.

I missed a 50/50/90 on the FJ! clue as I eliminated Shelley and then went the wrong way from there. It’s like an OxCam for me but instead a 3-headed monster that always leaves me guessing.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

During the closing credits Austin received his check for regular play winnings. It was a nice look at the score displays, cameras and video monitor.
Spoiler
Of course Austin had to then mime tearing up the check.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Alan was an absolute freight train. Holy smokes.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I honestly don't remember Alan but he was certainly impressive. Austin was able to save his bacon with an FJ get.

My dreams of a perfect TOC FJ streak were shattered today. I put down Keats just to have something. He did die in 1821 (and isn't buried in Westminster) so at least I guessed someone in the right timeframe.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

A stellar performance by Alan, friend to the monotremes. In a high-pressure ToC situation, way to channel that energy! Result! And I'm sure fans were happy with the Austin lagniappe as the credits rolled.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

Keats for me as well in FJ.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Count me still unaware whether Patti pronounces her name Lu-Pown or Lu-Pony, but I reckon Austin's probably right here?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I think I finally understood that Emmy... category at the same moment Austin did :lol:

If I had missed that Patti Lupone clue I'd still be cursing right now, with all those damn War Paint commercials they aired during J!.

19th c. poet of 'questionable morals'? This was such a slam dunk instaget for Byron that I wondered if I was missing something obvious, and now I wonder if others fit that description and I just don't know enough about other poets of the time (well of course I don't, I know less about poetry than your dog, but you know what I mean).

I forgot all about Alan, then when I saw him I remembered him and knew we were in for a show. Wow.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

3/3 on FJ this week, which is just weird

FJ - flirted with Wilde but the year was way too early so flitted over to George Gordon, Lord Byron

Lots of trash: speaking (ill of the dead), landing (on my feet), Hammerstein, MDD Saskwatch, alibi, Brahe (really?)

I had "from nothing" for "ex nihilo", and I'm counting that as correct :)

Also went with kayak on that DD bc I had nothing else. Thrown partly by pirogue being a French word and a form of transport I used in Dakar

woulda run Bway 2017 but blanked horribly on Willie Wonka!

Austin couldn't believe he kept getting outbuzzed by Alan. I couldn't tell what was going on with the teacher

These TOC games are fast paced!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I went with Percy Bysshe Shelley for FJ, knowing he was a libertine and that he died early in that decade. I completely forgot about Lord Byron.
hscer

Post by hscer »

any other Coleridge guesses out there? only name I could think of
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

If you remember that it was famously said of Byron (by one of his lovers, I think) that he was "mad, bad, and dangerous to know" the "questionable behavior" in the clue points right at him.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Hellooooo Alan! He looked like a contender to win the whole thing with today's performance - he responded with the slightest of ease to questions which I had no clue the correct response on multiple occasions. Major congrats to the platypus collector!

Stunned myself again with the instaget final to make 3/3 so far - Romanticism class FTW once again as today's session was centered on Byron's antics - the bisexuality and swimming the Hellespont, etc. If this clue plays yesterday, I'm not sure I'd get it, but I'll take a correct response any way I can get it.

Austin doubling up was probably really good from a ratings standpoint - I bet a lot of casual viewers would have moved on had America's favorite social media phenom been knocked out today. Lucky them, that $16k probably holds up just fine. Curious to see how he'll adjust next week - he was thoroughly outplayed tonight.
Last edited by threearruda on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
PhilKohn
Contributor

Post by PhilKohn »

Not doing well with FJs so far (didn't see Monday's show). Pulled a blank tonight until I came up with Oscar Wilde, but it weren't him! (Poets not my strong point!)

Yesterday, did real well on J round, not so much on DJ round. Today, just the opposite.

Ran the Russian Involvement category. (They had an Axis-related category yesterday -- wonder if there will be a WWII related Japan category?)

Looking forward to the rest of the Tournament.

And, yes, it was interesting that they showed the view of the video screen and the cameras next to the big board behind Alex and Austin tonight. A very unusual shot!
Jeopardy! Contestant (finally!) after 51 years of trying! Jeopardy! match #34-34, Contestant #3, aired 10/26/2017
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

I… uh… um… What did I just watch? Holy crap! It was hard to concentrate on the questions because my brain could not keep up with the pace or content of what I was seeing. Just… wow. Alan. Jeebus.

With the ad break before FJ! I was able to collect myself well enough to come up with George Gordon, Lord Byron, but for some reason thought he was way earlier and spent the remaining 25 seconds second-guessing myself.

Now to rewind the crystal ball…
zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:43 am
  • Wednesday: David grits his teeth and suffers being on stage with Austin and Alan. Austin goes all-in and misses an early J! DD, but uses big bets on the other two to keep pace with Alan, and ends up adding enough money to the game that the two of them exceed $20k. Austin has a rare FJ! neg but stuns everyone with a zero wager, taking the second wildcard under Alan's win.
Sad to say I was right about David (though he was promising early on), and Austin did come back from nothing — twice — but Alan… Alan. I… can't. I am dumbfounded. Austin's "big bet" was on FJ! instead of a DD and it saved his bacon in this tournament.

BTW, tangentially-related, some website interviewed Austin today and posted to Twitter a couple of pictures that looked like they might be a semifinal matchup spoiler, but more likely (hopefully, but weirder) are pictures from the morning scrimmage.
Last edited by zerobandwidth on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
PhilKohn
Contributor

Post by PhilKohn »

Morbeedo had posted: "Also went with kayak on that DD bc I had nothing else. Thrown partly by pirogue being a French word and a form of transport I used in Dakar."

Pirogues are also used on the bayous in Louisiana. Enshrined in the song "Jambalaya:" "Goodbye, Joe, me gotta go, me oh my oh! Me gotta go pole my pirogue on the bayou." :)
Jeopardy! Contestant (finally!) after 51 years of trying! Jeopardy! match #34-34, Contestant #3, aired 10/26/2017
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Just as I underestimated Buzzy for Monday's game, I underestimated Alan in handicapping this one. My excuse is that I didn't see his regular run. But he was pretty sensational today.

I had expected that Austin's M.O. of finding and betting big on the DD's was likely to be less effective in the TOC, where for a variety of reasons his opponents were more likely to grab DD's than the regular contestants during his run. And indeed, he only found one DD today and missed it. (I wavered between dugout and kayak and settled on kayak myself. Should have stuck with my first instinct.) Austin was also consistently outbuzzed by Alan, and a big reason why he landed on so many DD's during his run had been that he simply had control of the board so often -- he didn't do much DD hunting (nor did he do much of that today). His chances of still making it to semis still look pretty good, though, thanks to him remaining near-perfect on FJ's.

Near-instaget FJ here. I felt like the only British poets who fit the time period were Byron and Keats, and as the author of Don Juan, Byron seemed more likely to be accused of questionable morals. :)

I had "hominy grits" for "hominy." That's wrong, isn't it?

Am I misremembering, or has Alex recited the same Jean Brodie quote at the beginning of 2 of the first 3 TOC episodes?
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide