Wednesday, November 8, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by nlw44 »

mrparadise wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:16 pm If you remember that it was famously said of Byron (by one of his lovers, I think) that he was "mad, bad, and dangerous to know" the "questionable behavior" in the clue points right at him.
Lady Caroline Lamb - pretty well-known as one of his lovers.

I thought it was relatively easy as an FJ in a TOC, though I can see someone picking someone else. But I'd certainly expect that someone else answer to be a BRITISH poet, not Longfellow for heaven's sake.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Too bad Austin jumped over the "Much Ado About Nothing" Daily Double at $1200 at the end, I certainly assumed he would have doubled up had he picked it, leaving him and Alan very tight at around $16K+. I'd have loved to see how they bet in final from that position.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Alan came so close to losing his second game during his original run; he entered FJ in third (though all contestants were within about $2000), and was the only one to bet small on a TS.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

PhilKohn wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:29 pm
Pirogues are also used on the bayous in Louisiana. Enshrined in the song "Jambalaya:" "Goodbye, Joe, me gotta go, me oh my oh! Me gotta go pole my pirogue on the bayou." :)
(singing along. . .) "My Yvonne, sweetest one, me oh my oh! Sunuvagun, we'll have big fun on the bayou. . ." :D
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:29 pm I had "hominy grits" for "hominy." That's wrong, isn't it?
They were looking for the word for the ingredient in "grits" which were mentioned in the clue, so "What is 'hominy grits'?" probably would have been accepted.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

If it's early 1800's it's Lord Byron. If it's late 1800's it's Oscar Wilde. :twisted:
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

The DD that David missed was just nasty.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

26 right.

Russian (4), Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, Tony (4), Words (1), Sweet (2), _ING (1), Collect (3)
Broadway (2), Boats/Ships (2), Supernova (2), Geography (1), Notorious (2), "NOTHING" (2)

Lach Trash: Hammerstein, Mary Surratt, Tycho Brahe; Daily Double: sasquatch

Instaget FJ because of "mad, bad, and dangerous to know" and knowing that his death year was 1824.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:03 pm I went with Percy Bysshe Shelley for FJ, knowing he was a libertine and that he died early in that decade. I completely forgot about Lord Byron.
Me too, even though I just finished re-reading The Anubis Gates in which he figures as a character. (Great read, BTW.) So I even knew his approximate dates. Shelley just seemed like such a great guess. He has a mural tablet in Poets' Corner at Westminster Abbey. He was noted for his atheism which is a pretty solid reason to believe Westminster Abbey would have declined to house his mortal remains. But when Mrs P suggested Byron at the end of the think music, I instantly suspected she was right.

Keats (died 1821, buried at Protestant Cemetery in Rome, has a mural tablet in Poets' Corner at Westminster) didn't strike me as a good guess because I didn't remember any scandalous behavior. Ditto for Coleridge (died 1834, buried at Old Highgate Chapel, London, has a memorial bust at Poets' Corner), whose opium addiction probably excited more pity than censure in that time period. Wordsworth was a non-starter because he's well-known as the only major Romantic poet to have lived into old age. (Died 1850 at age 80, buried at St Oswald's Church, Grasmere, no known scandals and was in fact Poet Laureate and has a monument at Poets' Corner.) The only other possibility is William Ashbless who isn't non-fictional enough to be a good guess.

I hereby declare Shelley to be the best wrong guess for this FJ.
sims
Valued Contributor

Post by sims »

I was pulling for Alan tonight because I remember his regular games. I suspected he would beat Austin because people talk about Alan being fast on the buzzer and Austin had complained to me about always being right behind me on the buzzer. It was a fun game to watch though. I feel like the teacher drew the short straw being up against two powerhouses like that.

Guessed Kayak on Austin's DD, got FJ right after discarding Keats, Shelley, and Wilde.

LT: Speaking, Landing, postcards, Mississippi, hackers (was proud not to need the Kaspersky hint for that one. I've read Kevin Mitnick's book about life as a hacker and really liked it). Guessed Rodgers instead of Hammerstein.

Was surprised Evan Hansen was that far down on the board. I thought it was one of the easiest clues in the category.\

Can't wait for tomorrow! This whole event is so exciting!
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Wow, Alan mopped the floor with Austin. Even if he doesn't win the ToC, that's a real feather in his cap. Stoked to see Austin's recovery that all but guarantees he's still alive
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I went with Wilde.
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

econgator wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:27 pm I went with Wilde.
That was my reflex when he was first reading the clue. But when I think of Wilde, I think of the famous photos of him. So I know he was around much later in the century.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:12 pm The DD that David missed was just nasty.
Was it? I feel like sasquatch was easy pickins since bigfoot is only seven letters. Could be canadian bias tho, do americans not really use that term?
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got Byron but thought about Wilde first.

Alan ran through the competition today. That's really impressive for a ToC game.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

grindcore wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:51 pm
Category 13 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:12 pm The DD that David missed was just nasty.
Was it? I feel like sasquatch was easy pickins since bigfoot is only seven letters. Could be canadian bias tho, do americans not really use that term?
Americans are aware of it, at least.
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lindap »

Re: FJ!
I got it by knowing Byron had been described as "mad, bad, and dangerous to know."
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:44 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:03 pm I went with Percy Bysshe Shelley for FJ, knowing he was a libertine and that he died early in that decade. I completely forgot about Lord Byron.
Me too, even though I just finished re-reading The Anubis Gates in which he figures as a character. (Great read, BTW.) So I even knew his approximate dates. Shelley just seemed like such a great guess. He has a mural tablet in Poets' Corner at Westminster Abbey. He was noted for his atheism which is a pretty solid reason to believe Westminster Abbey would have declined to house his mortal remains. But when Mrs P suggested Byron at the end of the think music, I instantly suspected she was right.

Keats (died 1821, buried at Protestant Cemetery in Rome, has a mural tablet in Poets' Corner at Westminster) didn't strike me as a good guess because I didn't remember any scandalous behavior. Ditto for Coleridge (died 1834, buried at Old Highgate Chapel, London, has a memorial bust at Poets' Corner), whose opium addiction probably excited more pity than censure in that time period. Wordsworth was a non-starter because he's well-known as the only major Romantic poet to have lived into old age. (Died 1850 at age 80, buried at St Oswald's Church, Grasmere, no known scandals and was in fact Poet Laureate and has a monument at Poets' Corner.) The only other possibility is William Ashbless who isn't non-fictional enough to be a good guess.

I hereby declare Shelley to be the best wrong guess for this FJ.
Agreed, the only other halfway plausible guess. Not only did Wilde nearly make it to the 20th C., I doubt they'd refer to him as poet for an FJ, Ballad of Reading Gaol notwithstanding....He's a playwright!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Ironhorse wrote:
grindcore wrote:
Category 13 wrote: The DD that David missed was just nasty.
Americans are aware of it, at least.
I'm sure 95% of Americans who've ever heard of the bigfoot legend are aware of the term sasquatch. I'm sure David knew it too. It was the wording of the clue I was referencing. I refrained from saying negbait because that gets pooh poohed so much around here due to a technicality in the clue or category.
It's super easy to forget the category or overlook something in the clue when it paints a picture of the incorrect alternative answer like that one did.
It was like a 60 mph change up from Nolan Ryan.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

grindcore wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:51 pm
No, "sasquatch" is well-known in the U.S. I could easily see someone jumping to "bigfoot" on a regular clue, but on a DD with the extra time it's definitely a muff.