Wednesday, November 8, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

grindcore wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:51 pm
Category 13 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:12 pm The DD that David missed was just nasty.
Was it? I feel like sasquatch was easy pickins since bigfoot is only seven letters. Could be canadian bias tho, do americans not really use that term?
I'll echo (from the other side of the border, though) that Bigfoot is not only an oft-used term in the States, I'd guess it's more used there where Sasquatch is here. (All the American programs entitled "Hunting Bigfoot", for example). Plus, the category was about words with native American origins, "bigfoot" obviously isn't.

Was this the first time that a player has been introduced not only by where they live (or, before this season, sometimes where they used to live) but *also* where they work? David was introduced as "an 11th grade history teacher in Peller (?), Texas, from Fort Worth, Texas".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
PhilKohn
Contributor

Post by PhilKohn »

squarekara wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:51 pm
PhilKohn wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:29 pm
Pirogues are also used on the bayous in Louisiana. Enshrined in the song "Jambalaya:" "Goodbye, Joe, me gotta go, me oh my oh! Me gotta go pole my pirogue on the bayou." :)
(singing along. . .) "My Yvonne, sweetest one, me oh my oh! Sunuvagun, we'll have big fun on the bayou. . ." :D
Tres bien, squarekara, tres bien! Good ol' Hank Williams!
Jeopardy! Contestant (finally!) after 51 years of trying! Jeopardy! match #34-34, Contestant #3, aired 10/26/2017
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

davey wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:02 pm
Agreed, the only other halfway plausible guess. Not only did Wilde nearly make it to the 20th C., I doubt they'd refer to him as poet for an FJ, Ballad of Reading Gaol notwithstanding....He's a playwright!
Also, "questionable morality" would likely then have struck even the British as excessively understated.

On the other hand, the memorial stone in 1969 could have been a transoceanic salve in the wake of the Stonewall riot.

A few years ago, on one of those nerd-o triviahead sites (ken-jennings.com is my guess), someone posted a sort of question about the poetic quintet of Byron, Coleridge, Keats, Shelley, and Wordsworth, what was remarkable about it. There was a clue about how the fact that some of them died rather young might be important.
Spoiler
Listed in the proper order (Keats, Shelley, Byron, Coleridge, Wordsworth), the lifespan of each succeeding encompasses its predecessor's. There followed a query as to what other such groups could be assembled, but I don't remember any very interesting answers.
I'm smart and I want respect.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:19 pm
grindcore wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:51 pm
Category 13 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:12 pm The DD that David missed was just nasty.
Was it? I feel like sasquatch was easy pickins since bigfoot is only seven letters. Could be canadian bias tho, do americans not really use that term?
No, "sasquatch" is well-known in the U.S. I could easily see someone jumping to "bigfoot" on a regular clue, but on a DD with the extra time it's definitely a muff.
I agree. My initial thought on the DD was "bigfoot," but then I counted the letters and very quickly rejected it and came up with "Sasquatch" (despite my being American. :D ) And this was despite my embarrassingly forgetting the category. On a DD, with the luxury of a few extra seconds, you have to be deliberate and make sure to test your first instinct against any limitations that the category and clue impose that might rule it out.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Another poor performance by me tonight. I'm going to blame the kid and the cat constantly interrupting me. ;)

17 right
4 wrong. All of which were in the bottom two rows on the board. Expensive mistakes that cut my coryat almost in half.
Coryat 6000.

I did pick up the LT of Brahe and hackers.

Literature is my worst subject, and poetry is my worst part of literature. You'd think I never read anything in my youth. I wasted all my reading time on the World Book Encyclopedia and current (in my day) fiction. I've only recently started trying to read some classics.

Still, I managed to at least pull an English poet from the right time period - Keats. Wrong, but less wrong than picking someone like Mary Shelly.

My biggest problem today was just keeping up. I suspect there were two people on camera who could relate to that.
--Peter
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:03 pm I went with Percy Bysshe Shelley for FJ, knowing he was a libertine and that he died early in that decade. I completely forgot about Lord Byron.
Ohhhh, that explains what I was thinking. I said Lord Byron with no confidence whatsoever based on his reputation, but I thought he'd been buried some distance away, so Westminster Abbey wouldn't have even been a consideration. Turns out I was thinking of Shelley, buried in Rome. I also thought of Keats and Coleridge, but they seemed even less likely to be right.

I thought of Sasquatch before Bigfoot, possibly because when someone on TV says something like "and now a word from our sponsors," I often say "Sasquatch" or "kumquat". Yes, I'm exhausting.

TIL Ben Platt and Alan Aisenberg are two different people.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

acthomas wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:33 pm Count me still unaware whether Patti pronounces her name Lu-Pown or Lu-Pony, but I reckon Austin's probably right here?
I'm just curious if you've ever heard anyone pronounce it Lu-Pony! (Because yes, Austin pronounced it correctly).
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:21 am
acthomas wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:33 pm Count me still unaware whether Patti pronounces her name Lu-Pown or Lu-Pony, but I reckon Austin's probably right here?
I'm just curious if you've ever heard anyone pronounce it Lu-Pony! (Because yes, Austin pronounced it correctly).
I have to think that a cameo by a "Patti LuPony" character in a future episode of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is inevitable.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

This is a work in progress --

Q: Which of the Romantic poets was considered to be the most efficient?
A: The one who got his Wordsworth.

Suggestions for improvement welcomed.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

+1 for Shelley. That was a 50/50 for me. Carol Anne, however, chose wisely.
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

hscer wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:06 pm any other Coleridge guesses out there? only name I could think of
I'm another one in the Oscar Wilde camp even though I was sure he was later 19th century.
:cry:
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

mrparadise wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:16 pm If you remember that it was famously said of Byron (by one of his lovers, I think) that he was "mad, bad, and dangerous to know" the "questionable behavior" in the clue points right at him.
Actually, Byron said that about one of his lovers - Lady Caroline Lamb.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dinghammer wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:25 am Ohhhh, that explains what I was thinking. I said Lord Byron with no confidence whatsoever based on his reputation, but I thought he'd been buried some distance away, so Westminster Abbey wouldn't have even been a consideration. Turns out I was thinking of Shelley, buried in Rome. I also thought of Keats and Coleridge, but they seemed even less likely to be right.
Byron, Shelley, and Keats all died overseas. Well, with Shelley it was more underseas, but you get my point. Keats died in Rome. Shelley died off the northwestern coast of Italy. Byron died in Greece. So postmortem transport would have been involved for a Westminster burial in any of those cases. In the latter half of the 19th century, Elizabeth Barrett Browning died in Florence and her husband Robert died a few decades later in Venice. Robert's the only one who was actually sent back to England to be buried at Poets' Corner.

acthomas

Post by acthomas »

I won't out the guilty party, but yes. It's also one of those cases where I've only seen her name written down in TV credits and news articles as opposed to spoken out loud by someone definitively in the know -- like Ms. LuPone herself.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

I was impressed how well they did in the Broadway 2017 category after none of them knew "My Favorite Things" -- one of the more popular songs from The Sound of Music -- was by Rodgers & Hammerstein. Austin was at least in the ballpark with Kern, who wrote the music for "Ol' Man River."
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

acthomas wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:53 am
I won't out the guilty party, but yes. It's also one of those cases where I've only seen her name written down in TV credits and news articles as opposed to spoken out loud by someone definitively in the know -- like Ms. LuPone herself.
Well, Patti LuPone has been one of the best known Broadway musical actresses since at least 1979 and she's done concerts, TV, movies, etc. And she's no shrinking violet - if everyone had been mispronouncing her name for 40 years, she'd have said something.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

There was another clue in this show that was recently used in LearnedLeague. It was the one about "Come From Away." I can't remember now if the LL question was in the regular league or one of the recent mini leagues.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

With a couple significant poetry questions in just the past couple of games - and the fact that it's obviously a popular subject for Jeopardy, I suggest that one easy way to get a very basic familiarization with the subject is John Lithgow's anthology, The Poet's Corner. The anthology spans about 600 years and includes one (or two) short poems from poets from Auden to Yeats. Better yet, get the audio version as it's read by various American and English actors/actresses, with Lithgow providing an intro and summary for each poet. I think the local librarians know me by now just from having checked it out numerous times - typically coinciding with a long road trip.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:46 am There was another clue in this show that was recently used in LearnedLeague. It was the one about "Come From Away." I can't remember now if the LL question was in the regular league or one of the recent mini leagues.
We saw Come From Away at Ford's Theatre during its pre-Broadway run. Wonderful play, but it was a bit tough at times for those of us directly affected by 9/11.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bbird wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:34 am I was impressed how well they did in the Broadway 2017 category after none of them knew "My Favorite Things" -- one of the more popular songs from The Sound of Music -- was by Rodgers & Hammerstein. Austin was at least in the ballpark with Kern, who wrote the music for "Ol' Man River."
If I recall right, "Favorite Things" was still near the beginning of the category in terms of revealed clues, and they might not have gotten the conceit of the category yet (I know it took me a while too, after this clue I think (and longer still for how the "Grandma Got Run Over" clue fit until much later)).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012