Thursday, November 9, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 9, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7629, 2017-11-09

2017 Tournament of Champions quarterfinal game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Sam Deutsch, a business consultant from Calabasas, California
Lisa Schlitt, a microbiologist from Berwyn, Pennsylvania
Seth Wilson, a Ph.D. candidate and adjunct professor from Nacogdoches, Texas

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome, everyone. Those of you who are regular fans of Jeopardy! know how the tournaments work. The winners of every game this week, the quarterfinal games, return next week to compete as semifinalists along with the four high scorers among non-winners. So there's a great deal to be determined today and tomorrow. Sam, Lisa, Seth, welcome back. Good luck. Here we go. The three of you now get to deal with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BODIES OF WATER (4/5)
WORDS WITH ENEMIES (5/5)
TOP BABY NAMES IN BRITAIN (5/5)
"N" TITLED TO LITERATURE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ITALIAN FOOD (4/5)
MANGA (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lisa: 12 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Seth: 9 R, 0 W
Sam: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sam: $4,200
Seth: $2,600
Lisa: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sam Deutsch was a College Championship winner. He's from Calabasas, California. If memory serves me correctly, the clue that made you the champion had to do with Vice President Biden. And he heard about it or might've been watching that night.

Sam: Yeah, I assume he's an avid Jeopardy! watcher. And, um, he not only tweeted a picture of me, but he sent me a personal letter of congratulations. So--

Alex: All right. That's kind of neat.

Sam: It was pretty awesome.

Alex: Way to go, yes.

Alex: Lisa Schlitt from Berwyn, Pennsylvania. Microbiologist. Now, your old firehouse, it says here, had a watch party for your shows.

Lisa: Yeah. So I used to volunteer as an EMT, North Stelton Fire in Piscataway, New Jersey.

Alex: Oh.

Lisa: And they used to kind of joke about it, but I used to watch Jeopardy! a lot when, you know, when I was riding and on-call and you know. It was just kind of a thing, known that I was Jeopardy! girl. And apparently they found out. And Monday night, when we usually do our training drills, they actually decided instead to all watch Jeopardy!

Alex: Good for them. The guys were showing their support for you. I love--

Lisa: And girls.

Alex: Yeah, and girls too. Yes, all right. Thank you for the correction.

Alex: Seth Wilson is from Nacogdoches, Texas.

Seth: Yes.

Alex: Gotten engaged since you made your last appearance on our program.

Seth: I did. My fiancée, Stephanie, and I, our first date was to an arcade, so I said, "Hey, why don't we go to the arcade tonight?" She said, "All right." And we got there, and I said, "Wait, wait, before we go in, let me give you something," and I gave her the ring. And she looked at me and said, "Really?" And I said, "Well, that would be a really mean joke, wouldn't it?"

[Laughter]

Alex: All right, well, good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lisa found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Seth had $2,600, Lisa had $3,400, and Sam was at $4,200. Lisa made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,400.

"N" TITLED TO LITERATURE $800: Wonderboy is the name of a bat, not a superhero, in this 1952 novel

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ITALIAN FOOD $400: This Italian ham is mentioned in the classic 1622 Italian poem "The Rape of the Bucket"

BODIES OF WATER $1000: This "colorful" river forms Namibia's southern border with South Africa

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Lisa: $9,200
Seth: $5,600
Sam: $4,400
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 9, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SATISFYING ALL YOUR INSURANCE NEEDS (3/5)
THE SILVER SCREEN (3/5)
WHERE & WHEN? (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MECHANICS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A SHOWER OF SCHOPENHAUER (4/5)
MAKING WORDS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lisa: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Seth: 8 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Sam: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lisa snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Seth had $8,400, Lisa had $11,200, and Sam was at $5,600. Lisa wagered $2,000.

MECHANICS $800: Eureka! This upward force exerted by a fluid counteracts the weight of an object immersed in it

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Seth who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Seth had $8,000, Lisa had $13,200, and Sam was at $5,600. Seth wagered $2,500.

WHERE & WHEN? $1600: The Constitution gets its first state ratification:
State, year
(Seth: What is Delaware, 1788?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE SILVER SCREEN $2000: Monty Clift loves Liz Taylor, but Shelley Winters' bun in the oven overshadows matters in this 1951 tragedy

SATISFYING ALL YOUR INSURANCE NEEDS $1200: The 2 major types of life insurance are cash value & this, which offers temporary protection but no savings component

SATISFYING ALL YOUR INSURANCE NEEDS $1600: Investing in your niece's indie film? In case she doesn't finish, you should be insured by a completion type of this

WHERE & WHEN? $1200: Pearl Harbor is bombed:
Island, day of the week
(Seth: What is Friday, Oahu?)

WHERE & WHEN? $2000: Alexander the Great dies:
Continent, millennium

A SHOWER OF SCHOPENHAUER $2000: After studying Hinduism, Schopenhauer declared these Vedic scriptures a major influence on his thinking
(Lisa: What's the Bhagavad Gita?)

THE SILVER SCREEN $800: Penny Singleton colored her hair to play this Chic Young comic-strip heroine in 28 movies

MECHANICS $1600: Physics textbooks say all motion is relative to this kind of frame

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Lisa: $14,400
Sam: $12,400
Seth: $9,900

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE GREAT DEPRESSION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Lisa: Wager $10,401 to cover Sam.
Sam: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Seth, hoping that you give the correct response and Lisa doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $7,401 to cover Seth's doubled score, but no more than $8,400 if you want to top Lisa on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $2,499 and win if both Lisa and Seth miss Final.
Seth: You ought to try wagering between $2,501 and $4,900. This will top a $0 wager by Sam while still beating Lisa and Sam on the Triple Stumper (should Lisa wager to cover Sam's doubled score and Sam wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A street-corner occupation that saved many in the Depression was aided by a 1930 tops-in-the-U.S. crop in this state

FINAL SCORES
Seth: $9,900 - $4,501 = $5,399 (What was Iowa?) (3rd place)
Sam: $12,400 - $4,200 = $8,200 (What is Florida) (2nd place)
Lisa: $14,400 + $1,000 = $15,400 (What is Washington?) (Automatic semifinalist)
(Alex: [To Lisa] They had a bumper crop of apples in [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sam: $12,400, 12 R, 0 W
Seth: $12,400, 17 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Lisa: $10,600, 20 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $35,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Lisa: 21/60 = .350
Seth: 17/59 = .288
Sam: 12/58 = .207
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ITALIAN FOOD $800: These tubular cream-filled pastries are Sicily's gift to dessert
(Alex: Take the [*], leave the gun.)

ITALIAN FOOD $1000: Baked pizza dough, this aromatic Italian bread, comes from a word for "hearth"

BODIES OF WATER $400: Even from space, it's possible to see the mass of blue-green algae poisoning this lake with the name of a Manitoba city

MANGA $800: Seen here is a Titan, a human-eating giant in the title of this best-selling manga series

TOP BABY NAMES IN BRITAIN $400: Popular for boys, the names of these two
(Alex: Yes, but without the "prince".)
(Lisa: Okay.)
(Alex: People usually don't name their sons...)

A SHOWER OF SCHOPENHAUER $1600: In college, Schopenhauer transferred from medicine to the humanities, studying this "Critique" man

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Natural
prosciutto
the Orange River
buoyancy
Delaware, 1787
A Place in the Sun
term insurance
a completion bond
Oahu, Sunday
Asia, the first millennium B.C.
the Upanishads
Blondie
a reference frame
Washington
cannoli
focaccia
Lake Winnipeg
Attack on Titan
Prince William and Prince Harry
(Immanuel) Kant
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE GREAT DEPRESSION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A street-corner occupation that saved many in the Depression was aided by a 1930 tops-in-the-U.S. crop in this state

Seth Wilson: 9900-4501=5399
Lisa Schlitt: 14400+1000=15400 (Semi-Finalist)
Sam Deutsch: 12400-4200=8200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Washington (Seth – Iowa) (Sam – Florida)

Daily Doubles
Lisa: 3400+3400
Lisa: 11200+2000
Seth: 8000-2500

Coryats
Seth: 12400
Lisa: 10600
Sam: 12400

Combined: 35,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Seth: 5600
Lisa: 9200
Sam: 4400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Major ouch on Seth missing his DD off by a year as a get there could have kept him in play for a WC with a lower wager in the FJ! round. Lilly & Tim had to love seeing a tough FJ! clue come up.

I did not know where to go with the clue and considered Midwest (corn/wheat state), South (cotton state), or East (tobacco) and I guessed NC. NW was not on my radar. And that was only after reading the clue twice to comprehend I needed a state and not a product or job title

Anyone know if seeing a relevant Ken Burns production would have helped with the clue? I know I don’t recall it in The Roosevelts.

What a great job by Lisa to go 3/3 on the big clues and punch her ticket to the semis. That’s two wins for the middle podium this week.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

"Selling apples to get through the Great Depression" isn't as obvious a cliche as I thought. Ok. Hats off to Lisa for knowing it.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:11 pm Major ouch on Seth missing his DD off by a year as a get there could have kept him in play for a WC with a lower wager in the FJ! round. Lilly & Tim had to love seeing a tough FJ! clue come up.

I did not know where to go with the clue and considered Midwest (corn/wheat state), South (cotton state), or East (tobacco) and I guessed NC. NW was not on my radar. And that was only after reading the clue twice to comprehend I needed a state and not a product or job title

Anyone know if seeing a relevant Ken Burns production would have helped with the clue? I know I don’t recall it in The Roosevelts.

What a great job by Lisa to go 3/3 on the big clues and punch her ticket to the semis. That’s two wins for the middle podium this week.
Finally a TOC FJ that required a little bit of thought.

I don't remember if The Roosevelts touched on street corner apple selling but it's another instance where Turner Classic Movies might have helped as there are two Frank Capra versions of the same story about Apple Annie: Lady for a Day and A Pocketful of Miracles.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:06 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:11 pm Major ouch on Seth missing his DD off by a year as a get there could have kept him in play for a WC with a lower wager in the FJ! round. Lilly & Tim had to love seeing a tough FJ! clue come up.

I don't remember if The Roosevelts touched on street corner apple selling but it's another instance where Turner Classic Movies might have helped as there are two Frank Capra versions of the same story about Apple Annie: Lady for a Day and A Pocketful of Miracles.
Not to mention poor ol' forgotten "Apple Mary" Worth.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I also thought this was easier than it played out. Like Alex and the guys (and girl), I am too young to remember the Depression, but I do associate selling apples on the corner with it. I considered New York, but went with Washington since it is better known for its apples.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:06 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:11 pm

It was "Pocketful of Miracles" that led me to the answer when Bette Davis selling apples popped into my mind. Can't remember whether or not the film was set during the depression, but Apple Annie selling on the street led directly to Washington.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I was out to sea on this Final, wow. It took me 10 minutes and Google to even get into the right ballpark on this one.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Never heard of the apples and Great Depression connection. I guessed California and hoped for the best. There went my chance of being perfect on FJs for the tournament.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Had a chance to watch early today (thanks to Reddit).

I was in despair after the J! round blanking on three whole categories. Never heard of Manga (is that some kind of East Asian genre of literature? I'll have to look it up), along with a pure lit category. I've been looking at geography, but mainly at the land portion. Need to work on bodies of water.

Fortunately, the DJ! round was kinder to me. Ran the insurance category and got 3/5 in Making Words (plus one of my 2 wrong answers - bottom row again). Stumped on the movies. Never heard of Schopenhauer, but managed to figure one clue out anyway.

Figured out apples and the sales of same quickly, but didn't know where the bumper crop was. Guessed NY. Right latitude, wrong longitude. My mind never went west of the Mississippi in search of an answer.

Right: 18
Wrong: 2 (one top row, one bottom)
Coryat: 14400

LT: 4 (2 in insurance and 2 in where & when)

I was surprised at the number of triple stumpers in the game. Glad to see Lisa moving on. Going into FJ! I thought at least one of the players would earn a wild card spot. But the tougher question ruled that out.
--Peter
Rusty's in the club
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Rusty's in the club »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:17 pm "Selling apples to get through the Great Depression" isn't as obvious a cliche as I thought. Ok. Hats off to Lisa for knowing it.
One great story from the business world is about Leo Burnett starting his eponymous advertising agency in Chicago. It was 1935, the Depression was raging, and folks thought this was pure folly. And an apple became one of the enduring symbols of his company.

As Hank Bergst wrote: "One of his most important uses of internal corporate symbols were the red apples placed on every receptionist's desk. Any visitor or employee was free to take one. This stemmed from a prediction from a Chicago newspaper columnist that Leo would fail miserably in his agency launch in 1935, made in the depths of the Great Depression, and would soon be on the street selling apples instead. Upon reading those words, Leo vowed to give away apples instead."

That tradition continues to this day, with a bowl of apples for the taking at every reception desk at every Leo Burnett office. Reportedly, they give away more than half a million apples each year.
PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 »

WTG Lisa!!!!!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

FJ courtesy of Damon Runyon's character Apple Annie as well as the lyrics of "I Don't Need Anything but You" from "Annie" the musical. "And if tomorrow, I'm an apple seller, too. . ."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I turn on the TV.

Kids: "Uh, oh, Daddy's watching Jeopardy! We better leave and come back when he's done."
Alex: "Our categories are ... MANGA."
Son: "Oh, I'm staying until this category is done!"

(And then they proceed to yell out "Attack on Titan!" as *soon* as the picture comes up! (Fortunately, I would not have gotten that if I was all alone and had 1,000 years to come up with it. (Yes, I counted it as a clam)))

Final score for that category: Dad 2 right, daughter, 2 right, son, 3 right.

I also wanted to come on to say that was an *excellent* FJ question. Absolutely worthy of the TOC, I'll even be so bold as to already say it's the most TOC-worthy clue of the 10 in this tournament, and I haven't seen half of them yet. Fantastic work, writers!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I went between Washington and Florida, but like several above, associated apples more with the depression than oranges.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I guess I hadn't heard of this aspect of the Depression either, and went with Nebraska, hoping that the reason it's called The Cornhusker State had something to do with people removing the husks from corn as they sold corn-on-the-cob on street corners. I'm just wondering why they had Kid's Week FJs on Monday and Tuesday, a regular show FJ on Wednesday, and finally a TOC-level FJ today. I feel sorry for Sam and Seth, as they probably would've been on to next week with any of the other FJs.
hscer

Post by hscer »

I guessed corn and thus Nebraska. Oh well.

Edit: As did the above commenter.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
PhilKohn
Contributor

Post by PhilKohn »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:12 pm I also thought this was easier than it played out. Like Alex and the guys (and girl), I am too young to remember the Depression, but I do associate selling apples on the corner with it. I considered New York, but went with Washington since it is better known for its apples.
Unfortunately, I was born a lot closer to the Great Depression than tonight's contestants (and, probably, most of you). I knew well (from stories told by my folks and their folks) about out-of-work men trying to get by selling apples on the street corners. (Seth was probably going for corn [Iowa], and Sam for oranges [Florida].) However, once again, I out-thought myself because it immediately came to me that where do you think of when you think of apples? Washington, of course. But that couldn't be the answer, I said to myself, that'd be too easy. So what might those foxy writers try for? Then the thinking (read that "undoing") started. Well, Johnny Appleseed (John Chapman) came from Ohio, I believe. But one doesn't really think Ohio and apples. So where else? Of course, New York! Wah-waahh! :( So, I thought myself into 0/3 on FJs this week (I didn't see Monday's show.) Kudos to Lisa for getting the answer.

Ran the category (5/5) in Italian Food. That was about it.
Jeopardy! Contestant (finally!) after 51 years of trying! Jeopardy! match #34-34, Contestant #3, aired 10/26/2017