The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by nklotz »

Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:40 am
YOU can do anything you put your mind to.
The Official TPH Education - Page 93
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

I feel like this is just performance art now
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

If so this is a goddamn Kaufmanesque performance
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

nklotz wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:53 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:40 am
YOU can do anything you put your mind to.
The Official TPH Education - Page 93
Actually, 94. And thank goodness it's not cluttering up any other threads.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

nklotz wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:53 pm The Official TPH Education - Page 93
Call me a hopeless optimist if you must. But I also like teaching. What better challenge than teaching someone who is frustrated but doesn't seem to want to give up? 93 (now 94) screen pages of tackling some difficult subjects is a pretty good testament to sticking with it.

So I will press on, like Don Quixote in the minds of some. (See - I'm learning a bit of literature!)
--Peter
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr way back on page 1 wrote: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:34 am I doubt this will catch on...
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:07 pm
alietr way back on page 1 wrote: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:34 am I doubt this will catch on...
Nostradamus!

It's pretty remarkable to look back the beginning of this thread, particularly at the genuine expressions of hope that TPH would take some of the suggestions to heart, etc. Years later and it's the same exact back-and-forth. There's an old saying about "patience and perseverance will make a bishop out of his reverence" but we are into sainthood territory now for anyone who has stuck with this.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:02 pm
Nostradamus!

It's pretty remarkable to look back the beginning of this thread, particularly at the genuine expressions of hope that TPH would take some of the suggestions to heart, etc. Years later and it's the same exact back-and-forth. There's an old saying about "patience and perseverance will make a bishop out of his reverence" but we are into sainthood territory now for anyone who has stuck with this.
Cheaper than paying for an indulgence.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mujason

Post by mujason »

Hey, no indulgence jokes until page 95! (Lutheran humor)
-Jason
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

mennoknight wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:11 pm I feel like this is just performance art now
This possibility has crossed my mind a few times, but the answers he claims to get right follow no clear pattern (except for his love of country music). Sometimes he picks up Lach Trash or gets a tough FJ correct. So I think he really does genuinely try his best on every clue.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:19 am
mennoknight wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:11 pm I feel like this is just performance art now
This possibility has crossed my mind a few times, but the answers he claims to get right follow no clear pattern (except for his love of country music). Sometimes he picks up Lach Trash or gets a tough FJ correct. So I think he really does genuinely try his best on every clue.
Plus, his gets seem to match those of “regular” people I see that watch the show (like my family) - actually he does a little better than them.

The biggest difference though is that my family doesn’t care if they miss 80% of the clues (including almost all FJs) and don’t wonder how to get it themselves (although if they did, I know they wouldn’t argue with me when I help them with something they asked for my help on). That’s because they, unlike us, don’t plan on being on J! (Something else they share with TPH)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

One of the few times I'm glad I was wrong.

Thanks for this morning's chuckle, Jeff.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

I deleted a comment that was maybe a bit too snarky but will leave my expression of genuine hope that he did well on Wheel of Fortune. I look forward to when his game airs.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:25 pm I deleted a comment that was maybe a bit too snarky but will leave my expression of genuine hope that he did well on Wheel of Fortune. I look forward to when his game airs.
I can say that I did well and had fun. Not gonna tell you how much I won because a.) I signed non-disclosure papers and b.) there'd be no reason to drop spoilers.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:35 pm
Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:25 pm I deleted a comment that was maybe a bit too snarky but will leave my expression of genuine hope that he did well on Wheel of Fortune. I look forward to when his game airs.
I can say that I did well and had fun. Not gonna tell you how much I won because a.) I signed non-disclosure papers and b.) there'd be no reason to drop spoilers.
Just tell us if you got to play another game or not.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

One thing I've always wanted to ask a Wheel player: If you buy a vowel, do you get to keep them? (Can you send me one as a souvenir?)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:11 pm
One thing I've always wanted to ask a Wheel player: If you buy a vowel, do you get to keep them? (Can you send me one as a souvenir?)
I can sell you one for $175 Canadian. Which I believe is about $2.75 American, right?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:14 pm
dhkendall wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:11 pm
I can sell you one for $175 Canadian. Which I believe is about $2.75 American, right?
That sounds right, after all it seems to be more affordable for you guys to sell off your “U”s than for us too.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:28 pm "Magnet school" and "solar wind" seemed incredibly tough for the top box. Can we poll the former?
You’d have better luck polling the latter, if you’ve heard the phrase before “attraction” was your TOM. I’ve heard of “magnet schools”, but that’s it. Have no idea what they are but if I was forced to guess, I’d say schools for gifted children. Since I knew magnet schools were things, the TOM drew me there like a magnet.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:28 pm TIL Portugal has queens.
Had. Portugal overthrew its monarchy in 1910.

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:53 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:28 pm "Magnet school" and "solar wind" seemed incredibly tough for the top box. Can we poll the former?
You’d have better luck polling the latter, if you’ve heard the phrase before “attraction” was your TOM. I’ve heard of “magnet schools”, but that’s it. Have no idea what they are but if I was forced to guess, I’d say schools for gifted children. Since I knew magnet schools were things, the TOM drew me there like a magnet.
Three TOCers didn't know a top box clue, so...