New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:03 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:13 pm Is the Nancy Dickmann (two n's according to the Teen tournament wiki) the same one who emigrated to the UK and won a series of Mastermind, in addition to many other accomplishments? She looked like she was in her 30's when her series was recorded in 2008/9, and an article said that she had been living in the UK for seven years after college, so being a teen in 1993 makes some level of sense.
Based on the photo on this page and the video I just checked, 99% yes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 112527.stm

Thanks for catching my spelling error and uncovering Nancy's future success!
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5819

And the first game from these tapes is in. February 19, 1993, 1993 Teen Tournament quarterfinal game 5.

Fraser Woodford vs. Suj Vijayan vs. Nancy Dickmann.

The contestants played a perfect J! round, every clue correct, and no incorrect guesses. They took that streak all the way to clue 15 of DJ!, not having enough time to work out that the 33rd president was
Spoiler
Harry Truman
. There were a couple of misses after that, but the players still whipped through the material so fast that they had time to do the full credit roll at the end of the show. "Verification of some material provided by the American Heritage Dictionary, Third Edition."

Terrible clue alert. The J! round Daily Double, SIGNS & SYMBOLS for $300. How many possible answers can you think of?
2 common office machines that feature both of the following symbols:

* #
Spoiler
What are computers and typewriters? Alex says fax would also have been acceptable. I have to imagine telephone would have been okay too.
In the DJ! round, "Gershwin" was accepted alone, without prompting. Is that the usual way of doing things?

Fact worth knowing: Brigham Young University in in Provo, Utah, not Salt Lake City (or as Fraser put it, "Salt Lake".) (There is also a Hawaii campus, in Laie.)

Clue of the game will be for '92 ELECTION for $1000, what must be this particular fellow's first mention on the show:
Ben Nighthorse Campbell, a Native American, won election to the Senate from this state
Spoiler
What is Colorado?
Nancy stayed perfect through the whole game, with 24R and 0W. But she didn't trust herself in FJ, and wagered nothing. She squeaked into the semis as the low-scoring wild card.

And for whoever is tracking Wild Card eligible scores, Alex was nice enough to tell the viewers what they were. Maybe this info was already available, but if not, here 'tis.

$10,500 <---Fraser
$10,420
$10,400 <---Nancy
$10,000
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:28 am Nancy stayed perfect through the whole game, with 24R and 0W. But she didn't trust herself in FJ, and wagered nothing. She squeaked into the semis as the low-scoring wild card.

And for whoever is tracking Wild Card eligible scores, Alex was nice enough to tell the viewers what they were. Maybe this info was already available, but if not, here 'tis.

$10,500 <---Fraser
$10,420
$10,400
$10,000 <---Nancy
Nancy was the one with $10,400, good buddy.

One of the rare occasions where third place wins in a triple get.

Also, I dug up the sonypictures post on wild card cutoffs, and K703 didn't have any info on Fraser's tournament. (And what we have now wouldn't have suited K703's purposes, since we don't know the highest eliminated score.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:28 am Also, I dug up the sonypictures post on wild card cutoffs, and K703 didn't have any info on Fraser's tournament. (And what we have now wouldn't have suited K703's purposes, since we don't know the highest eliminated score.)
Can I ask how you do that search, Stefan? I know the Wayback is out there, but I haven't figured out how to do a search like that in it. Thanks.
rmfromfla
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by rmfromfla »

Ok, saving a trip to the Wayback Machine:

1993 Teen Wild Cards:
Fraser Woodford -- 10,500
Patricia Larash -- 10,420
Nancy Dickmann. - 10,400
Mit Robertson. -- 10,000
--------------------------------------------
Scott Steiger ------ 9,000
Colin Rafferty ----- 9,000. 8-)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:24 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:28 am Also, I dug up the sonypictures post on wild card cutoffs, and K703 didn't have any info on Fraser's tournament. (And what we have now wouldn't have suited K703's purposes, since we don't know the highest eliminated score.)
Can I ask how you do that search, Stefan? I know the Wayback is out there, but I haven't figured out how to do a search like that in it. Thanks.
Well, now this discussion will have two meanings of "wild card" in a short space.
Spoiler
Archive.org allows for an asterisk wild card, so you can search for an url that begins with something without knowing the exact address of what you're looking for.

The best I could do here was to search for the url of the boards followed by "showthread.php" and an asterisk, and then just click through to individual results. As it happens, I dug up the quoted link years ago, when I was putting together my "Final Day FJ Wagering Suggestions" thread and remembered that Mark had posted complete FJ results for several old tournaments in that thread, and included the link in a PM to him.

Unfortunately, a) you can't find threads by any text in them because you can only search URLs, and they're only identified in the URL by a thread ID (the number after "t=" in the URL); and b) you can't really find threads by thread ID either, since there tends to be a unique session ID (the 32-character hexadecimal string after "s=") between "showthread.php?" and "t=", and you can't put an asterisk in the middle of the URL. If you're going to find anything, it has to be by brute force. Oh and also, there's no way of restricting these results to the Jeopardy board; the first result of the search I linked is in the "King of Queens" discussion forum.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

rmfromfla wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:14 am Ok, saving a trip to the Wayback Machine:

1993 Teen Wild Cards:
Fraser Woodford -- 10,500
Patricia Larash -- 10,420
Nancy Dickmann. - 10,400
Mit Robertson. -- 10,000
--------------------------------------------
Scott Steiger ------ 9,000
Colin Rafferty ----- 9,000. 8-)
K703 liked to give pre-FJ scores for tied players that missed the cutoff, just saying :mrgreen:
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Since you asked:

Scott Steiger: 9,500 - 500 = 9,000
Colin Rafferty: 7,500 ÷ 1,500 = 9,000 8-)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:28 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:28 am Nancy stayed perfect through the whole game, with 24R and 0W. But she didn't trust herself in FJ, and wagered nothing. She squeaked into the semis as the low-scoring wild card.

$10,500 <---Fraser
$10,420
$10,400
$10,000 <---Nancy
Nancy was the one with $10,400, good buddy.
Im dum. Fixed.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

rmfromfla wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:08 am Since you asked:

Scott Steiger: 9,500 - 500 = 9,000
Colin Rafferty: 7,500 ÷ 1,500 = 9,000 8-)
You used the divide sign instead of plus there, so maybe that should be just 5 after the equal sign?
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Oops, correction (phone keyboard gives me fits:)

Scott Steiger -- 9,500 - 500 = 9,000
Colin Rafferty - 7,500 + 1,500 = 9,000
(fixed!) :shock:
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I just like that someone wagered to have a score end in 420 back then. I wasn't sure how popular that term was before Pulp Fiction.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1668

An Animfan1 game, July 18, 2002 Ron Ellison vs. Kate Quillian vs. Amy Ellis

Things worth knowing from this ep:

"White ants" are termites
The Igbo are an ethnic group from Nigeria
Cromwell dissolved the Rump Parliament
The Medieval English philosopher is Roger Bacon, not Francis Bacon.

There's also a deep cuts SPORTS IN THE '90s category in DJ!, for anyone missing Sports Jeopardy.

New to the archive as (complete) responses: Kahlua and tequila is known as a
Spoiler
Brave Bull
, 1987 animated film about appliances was called
Spoiler
The Brave Little Toaster

N.B. Some of the clues from the INSECTS category were repurposed for the writers' strike games of 2008.

Clue of the game, how about...I don't know...QUITE A DISH for $2000:
From the Latin for "sleeve", it's a pasta tube stuffed with cheese & baked in tomato sauce
Spoiler
What is manicotti? Man- = hand, basically.
Etymology of pasta names is also worth getting into.

Have a beautiful afternoon.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:52 pm N.B. Some of the clues from the INSECTS category were repurposed for the writers' strike games of 2008.
Which games were these, out of curiosity?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1666

Another game from the last week of season 18, courtesy of Animfan1, this is Tuesday July 16, 2002, Beth Milnes vs. Neal Thompson vs. Molly McGowan.

Round 1 features Monty Python themed categories, a gimmick that would be repeated a couple of years later in a Ken Jennings game. The only clue duplicated between those 2 Python categories was to identify the American-born member of the group, in both cases a bottom-row query.
Spoiler
Who is Terry Gilliam? Note also the mention of The Fisher King in the THE HOLY GRAIL category.
Alex gives his best John Cleese reading of "The larch," every time it comes up. He also got a chance to practice his W.C. Fields in DJ!.

Here's a tough Jeopardy Pavlov clue to try. In the transportation category WHEELS in DJ!, the $1200 clue featured the descriptor this "attractive" Englishman. Without hearing the rest of the clue, can who figure out who they're asking about?

Here's the full clue if you can't:
Spoiler
In 1834 this "attractive" Englishman patented a covered cab slung between 2 large wheels
And here's the correct response:
Spoiler
Who is Joseph Hansom?
This game features the only instance in the Archive of their asking for the author of "Flowers in the Attic", although they've given her name and asked for the book numerous times. It wouldn't hurt to be familiar with the sequel's title, "Petals on the Wind", too, I suppose. The later books, some written by her, most (or maybe all) not, you needn't bother with.
Spoiler
Who is V.C. Andrews?
FInally, clue of the game, a triple stumper, "IT"s for $1000:
In 1832 this Minnesota lake was established as the main source of the Mississippi River
Spoiler
What is Lake Itasca?
It's... early yet, so we may have something completely different to be thankful for, later this evening. We'll see.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Beth is an O'Brien's pub quiz regular from before it was the hotbed of J! players it has become.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:50 pm
FInally, clue of the game, a triple stumper, "IT"s for $1000:
In 1832 this Minnesota lake was established as the main source of the Mississippi River
Spoiler
What is Lake Itasca?
It's... early yet, so we may have something completely different to be thankful for, later this evening. We'll see.
Kinda shocking that that's a TS.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:50 pm It's... early yet, so we may have something completely different to be thankful for, later this evening. We'll see.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5838

We had time for another game, and what a doozy it was. Following Bruce Simmons's ToC on the tape was his 3rd regular game, April 15, 1992, vs Jack Pitney and Catherine Menser. Bruce dominated the game, but Catherine hit the Daily Double on the final clue of the game, FINANCE for $1000 and bet enough to close the gap and threaten Bruce's runaway. I feel like, based on her responses, she probably knew the answer, but just wasn't quite sure how to pronounce it.

Unfortunately the tape cut out just as Bruce's FJ response was about to be revealed, so I don't have an official final score for the match. I've got feelers out to see if we can fill in that missing info.

2 clues you don't need to add to the flashcards. I don't imagine they're going to ask any more about L.A.'s second-largest newspaper that folded in 1989
Spoiler
the Herald-Examiner
, or the actress who replaced VIvian Leigh in the 1954 movie Elephant Walk
Spoiler
Liz Taylor
, but you do you.

On the other side of the coin, some less-common facts I'd definitely add include the bird that is good luck if it nests on your house
Spoiler
a stork
, the "little European grand duchy"
Spoiler
Luxembourg (also the only remaining European grand duchy)
, and the official newspaper of the Soviet gov't after the Russian Revolution (not Pravda)
Spoiler
Izvestia (it's still published today)

Now, usually on these early '90s games, the clues are very basic, and I have to struggle to find a Clue of the Game. Not so this time, with enough possible candidates we can do it Academy Awards style. The nominees are:

PRESIDENTIAL ASTROLOGY for $500:
With the exception of Reagan, every U.S. pres. born under this sign, including Lincoln, died in office
Spoiler
What is Aquarius?
ANIMAL FACTS for $300 (triple stumper):
These rodents' tails are long enough to shade them, so their name comes from the Greek for "shadow tail"
Spoiler
What are squirrels?
ANTONY & CLEOPATRA for $400 (DJ!):
According to Enobarbus, its poop was beaten gold
Spoiler
Cleopatra's barge
And the winner is:
Spoiler
Gotta give it to the squirrel fact. I like squirrels.
The next game to archive is queued up, but I don't know when I'll get to it. Might be today, might be tomorrow. Have a good weekend either way.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I filled in 1/10/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1168 with David Bell vs. Valerie O'Brien vs. Jeremy Cohen

All of the links should work including one not to miss with Sofia singing at #28 of the J! round.

There are a lot of ways to lose a game.  Some should not happen. He's lucky Twitter & Facebook were not a thing back then.

Last in for the 2003 TOC was 4x & $59,200, so David would have needed a fifth win to get in.

What I did with the FJ! clue:
Spoiler
I narrowed it down to Al Smith and Thomas Dewey and went the wrong way.  I missed it in 2002 as well.
Hammer:  Study those Alabama clues with traditional Pavlovs that most here can get with one word:

Capital
Industrial
Seaport
Space
Airmen
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I didn’t go through the whole game, did he do something to lose other than a bad FJ bet? Golf would have had a field day with those wagers.

Granted, I had home field advantage, but the Bama category was pretty simple. Hoping the game today is just as easy.

Instaget FJ. He was the first Catholic to head a major ticket. I have also heard of that dinner.

Thanks for getting that in.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:59 pm Hammer:  Study those Alabama clues with traditional Pavlovs that most here can get with one word:

Capital
Industrial
Seaport
Space
Airmen
I ran the category.