Friday, November 10, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 10, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7630, 2017-11-10

2017 Tournament of Champions quarterfinal game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Jon Eisenman, an attorney from Los Angeles, California
Justin Vossler, a high school history teacher from Homer, New York
Andrew Pau, an associate professor from Amherst, Ohio

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome to the last of our quarterfinal matches. In less than a half-hour from now, we will know the names of the nine players who get to return next week as semifinalists in this year's Tournament of Champions. The five winners of the quarterfinal matches and of course those high scorers, the four high scorers among non-winners. Jon, Justin, or Andrew, one of you is guaranteed to come back next week. Who will it be? Let's go to work. Here are the categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
UNSCRIPTED TV (4/5)
FRUIT, NOT FRUIT (4/5)
INNOVATIONS (5/5)
FRENCH DIP (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DEMOCRATS (5/5)
REPUBLIC "-AN"s (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Justin: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Andrew: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Jon: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrew found the Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Andrew had $600, Justin was scoreless, and Jon had nothing in the bank. Andrew wagered $1,000.

FRENCH DIP $800: When I was young, ma mere warned me of this part of our pool, le côté profond

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Andrew: $3,600
Justin: $3,000
Jon: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jon Eisenman is an attorney from Los Angeles. One of the benefits of being a Jeopardy! champion is that you get to be recognized, you get to socialize with a lot of people. You had an encounter that is important because it featured somebody who attended our very first Christmas party, 33 1/2 years ago.

Jon: I assume you're talking about Weird Al.

Alex: Yeah.

Jon: I saw him at a fundraiser recently for the L.A. public libraries, and I asked him if he would take a selfie with me. It was an "I won on Jeopardy!, I lost on Jeopardy!" selfie. He agreed. It's a pretty good picture.

Alex: He's a nice guy.

Jon: He's a nice guy.

Alex: He was very nice when he came to our party.

Alex: Justin Vossler, high school history teacher from Homer, New York. You gave a response in one of your games that had to do with a sloth. And that lit a fire in you.

Justin: It did. You enjoyed it so much. I wanted to pay tribute to that. I bought a stuffed sloth, and I named it Alex. He lives in my classroom.

Alex: Now, wait a minute. He doesn't live. He's stuffed.

Justin: He sits.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Andrew Pau from Amherst, Ohio. Associate professor. You were recognized, but in an unusual situation having to do with cookies.

Andrew: Yes. There were a bunch of neighborhood kids who came to ring our doorbell, and I opened it, and they were all--they were just gasping. "Oh my gosh, you're Andrew Pau! Can I take a picture with you?" And they were selling cookies. But that became a secondary part of the transaction.

[Laughter]

Alex: Be honest. Did you buy a lot of cookies?

Andrew: I bought a few, yeah.

Alex: We would expect nothing less from a Jeopardy! champion.

Andrew: Exactly, exactly.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FRUIT, NOT FRUIT $800: An old ad for this cereal had the slogan "A bowl a day keeps the bullies away"

REPUBLIC "-AN"s $1000: Danilo Medina Sanchez is the president of this republic

UNSCRIPTED TV $800: On this Bravo show "New York" & "Los Angeles", ambitious real estate agents strive to sell pricey properties

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Andrew: $6,000
Justin: $5,800
Jon: $3,000
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, November 10, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IN THE YEAR 1017 (4/5)
CLASSICAL MUSIC (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SCIENCE FICTION (1/5)
PLAYING MIDDLE C (5/5)
INDIAN AMERICANS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MOVIEMAKER'S MASHUP (3/5) (Alex: You have to name the two films by the same director that we have managed somehow to mash up.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andrew: 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Justin: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Jon: 1 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrew snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Andrew had $8,000, Justin had $10,600, and Jon was at $3,000. Andrew made it a True Daily Double, wagering $8,000.

CLASSICAL MUSIC $1600: "Royal March Of The Lions", "The Elephant", "Aquarium" & "The Swan" are all part of this French work
(Alex: Camille Saint-Saëns.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Justin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Andrew had $25,200, Justin had $11,800, and Jon was at $3,000. Justin wagered $3,000.

INDIAN AMERICANS $1200: This Sunday morning CNN host was only 28 when he was appointed as the managing editor of foreign affairs

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IN THE YEAR 1017 $1600: Today with about 1 million adherents, this secretive religious group of Lebanon & Syria publicly revealed itself
(Justin: What is the Assassins?)

MOVIEMAKER'S MASHUP $2000: Kubrick:
"Paths of Orange"

MOVIEMAKER'S MASHUP $400: Hitchcock:
"Dial M on a Train"
(Andrew: What is Dial M for Murder and Stranger on a Train?)
(Justin: What is Dial M for Murder and Murder on a Train?)

SCIENCE FICTION $400: This "Dune" author's first published sci-fi tale appeared in Startling Stories magazine in 1952

SCIENCE FICTION $800: In John Wyndham's 1951 novel "The Day of" these, "these" are carnivorous plants that can walk & kill a man

SCIENCE FICTION $1600: In "A Princess of Mars", this fictional Civil War vet is transported to Mars & meets the beautiful Dejah Thoris

SCIENCE FICTION $2000: The cover of this Isaac Asimov novel claimed, "Four men and one woman journey into the living body of a man"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Andrew: $26,800
Justin: $16,000
Jon: $3,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AWARDS & HONORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Andrew: Wager $5,201 to cover Justin, but no more than $19,199 so as not to fall behind Jon's doubled score.
Justin: You have the hope of surpassing Andrew if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $10,801 to force Andrew to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $8,399 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Jon.
Jon: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Victoria Cross is for military bravery; this cross first given in 1940 & named for Victoria's great-grandson is for civilian bravery

FINAL SCORES
Jon: $3,800 - $3,800 = $0 (What is the Edward Cross) (3rd place)
Justin: $16,000 - $7,000 = $9,000 (What is the George's Cross?) (2nd place)
Andrew: $26,800 + $2,200 = $29,000 (What is the George Cross) (Automatic semifinalist)
(Alex: [To Andrew] In honor of George VI. You are right. It's not a possessive.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Andrew: $20,200, 22 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Justin: $14,200, 20 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Jon: $3,800, 8 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $38,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Andrew: 23/60 = .383
Justin: 20/59 = .339
Jon: 8/58 = .138
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FRUIT, NOT FRUIT $400: This garden of peace in Central Park is dedicated to John Lennon

FRUIT, NOT FRUIT $600: Nintendo says she "spent her...time in Bowser's castle" but now she "prefers to be the one doing the rescuing"
(Jon: Who is Peach... [*]?)

DEMOCRATS $800: In the party of chancellors Helmut Schmidt & Gerhard Schroder, this word comes before "Democratic"
(Andrew: What is Christian?)

INNOVATIONS $200: 1893:
Fashion fastener

CLASSICAL MUSIC $1200: Here's a piece from a Vivaldi violin concerto known as "La tempesta di mare", this title in English

CLASSICAL MUSIC $2000: This German-born composer was called the Mozart of the 19th century

INDIAN AMERICANS $2000: In addition to live news coverage of the first operation of the Iraq War, he performed five brain surgeries in the desert

SCIENCE FICTION $1200: Like "World War Z", "Robopocalypse" is labeled this kind of history; it's told by those who survived a robot war
(Jon: What is an alternate history?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the deep side (or deep end)
Apple Jacks
the Dominican Republic
Million Dollar Listing
Carnival of the Animals
(Fareed) Zakaria
the Druze
Paths of Glory and A Clockwork Orange
Dial M for Murder and Strangers on a Train
Frank Herbert
the triffids
John Carter
Fantastic Voyage
the George Cross
Strawberry Fields
Princess Peach
social
a zipper
"The Storm At Sea"
Mendelssohn
Sanjay Gupta
an oral history
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AWARDS & HONORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Victoria Cross is for military bravery; this cross first given in 1940 & named for Victoria’s great-grandson is for civilian bravery

Andrew Pau: 26800+2200=29000 (Semi-Finalist)
Justin Vossler: 16000-7000=9000
Jon Eisenman: 3800-3800=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
George Cross (Justin – George’s Cross) (Jon – Edward Cross)
What Alex said about Justin's response:
Spoiler
When showing that Andrew was correct Alex said, "It's not a possessive."

Daily Doubles
Andrew: 600+1000
Andrew: 8000+8000
Justin: 11800+3000

Coryats
Andrew: 20200
Justin: 14200
Jon: 3800

Combined: 38,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Andrew: 6000
Justin: 5800
Jon: 3000
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ouch! What a painful possessive.

Well, that was nice of the powers to put a DD in CLASSICAL MUSIC. Andrew sure knew what to do with it.

Author of Dune should not be a TS. The TS for the movie with people traveling through a body had me picturing Raquel Welch.

Yay I hit my coin toss right to go 60% for the week instead of 40%.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Even though I'm always wrong it's always fun to play the semifinal prediction game.

Going by $ totals in QF matches
W1: Buzzy
W2: Andrew
W3: Jason
W4: Alan
W5: Lisa
WC1: Pranjal
WC2: Austin
WC3: Lilly
WC4: Tim

For starters I would think Tim, Lilly and Jason from QF2 will be in separate games. The powers can’t be crazy enough to put Austin and Buzzy in the same game and they probably do not want Andrew taking a shot at Buzzy or Austin. Lisa & Lilly will be in separate games.

I’ll go with:
Buzzy, Lisa, Tim
Jason, Andrew, Pranjal (group of death)
Alan, Austin, Lilly
PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:41 am Even though I'm always wrong it's always fun to play the semifinal prediction game.

For starters I would think Tim, Lilly and Jason from QF2 will be in separate games. The powers can’t be crazy enough to put Austin and Buzzy in the same game and they probably do not want Andrew taking a shot at Buzzy or Austin. Lisa & Lilly will be in separate games.

I’ll go with:
Buzzy, Lisa, Tim
Alan, Austin, Lilly
Alan & Austin have already played each other in the quarter finals so noway they will play aginst each other in the semi finals.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:41 am Even though I'm always wrong it's always fun to play the semifinal prediction game.

I’ll go with:
Buzzy, Lisa, Tim
Alan, Austin, Lilly
Other than switching Andrew and Alan to avoid the Austin/Alan rematch, I had the same predicted groupings.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

PanthersFan1 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:09 pm

I’ll go with:
Buzzy, Lisa, Tim
Alan, Austin, Lilly
Alan & Austin have already played each other in the quarter finals so noway they will play aginst each other in the semi finals.
Oh right, so that doesn't work for my groupings. I still like group S1 and I like Austin facing Lilly. I have to get Alan out of S3 and he can go to S2. If I make S2 Jason, Andrew, and Alan that works. S3 could be Pranjal, Austin and Lilly but then that's three wildcards. I don't see the powers doing that.

Time to break out 9 pieces of scratch paper to make it visual. Okay, I have worked out:
S1: Buzzy, Alan, Lilly
S2: Andrew, Pranjal, Tim
S3: Jason, Lisa, Austin

Nobody played each other in the QF round. The women are separated. No game has three wildcards. Austin and Buzzy do not have to play Andrew. Buzzy and Austin do not play each other. Does that work?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:44 pm
PanthersFan1 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:09 pm

I’ll go with:
Buzzy, Lisa, Tim
Alan, Austin, Lilly
Oh right, so that doesn't work for my groupings. I still like group S1 and I like Austin facing Lilly. I have to get Alan out of S3 and he can go to S2. If I make S2 Jason, Andrew, and Alan that works. S3 could be Pranjal, Austin and Lilly but then that's three wildcards. I don't see the powers doing that.

Time to break out 9 pieces of scratch paper to make it visual. Okay, I have worked out:
S1: Buzzy, Alan, Lilly
S2: Andrew, Pranjal, Tim
S3: Jason, Lisa, Austin

Nobody played each other in the QF round. The women are separated. No game has three wildcards. Austin and Buzzy do not have to play Andrew. Buzzy and Austin do not play each other. Does that work?
Semifinals Sudoku!
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:07 am Ouch! What a painful possessive.
I'd have a lot more sympathy if not for the improvident wager. I'm pretty sure that historically $16,000 has pretty much always been enough to secure a wild card spot. --Bob
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Bob78164 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:43 pm
I'd have a lot more sympathy if not for the improvident wager. I'm pretty sure that historically $16,000 has pretty much always been enough to secure a wild card spot. --Bob
I wonder how $16,000 stacks up in past TOCs. Because it does look like Justin over-estimated how the rest of the field would do.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:15 pm
I wonder how $16,000 stacks up in past TOCs. Because it does look like Justin over-estimated how the rest of the field would do.
Here's a thread for you: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2136

From what I can tell, there's no TOC that $16,000 would not qualify for a WC.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

i don't often brag about my scores here. i don't have to prove anything.
but i was 5-for-5 instagets in "science fiction" today.
and i'm sure that our departed friend paucle would have matched me nanosecond-for-nanosecond.
congrats to the semifinalists! it looks really good!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I'd have a lot more sympathy if not for the improvident wager.
Same here. Betting 7k when you already have 16000!? Dude.

Between that and the 'this Dune author' TS, I was screaming at the TV quite a bit tonight.

Instaget FJ, with only about 85% confidence, because while I have memorized the monarchs, I'm still a bit shaky when it comes to their relationships to each other.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Do the contestants know the non-winning dollar amounts from earlier tapings or are they sequestered?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

heppm01 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:36 pm Do the contestants know the non-winning dollar amounts from earlier tapings or are they sequestered?
They are sequestered.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:35 pm I'm still a bit shaky when it comes to their relationships to each other.
For reference: Victoria was mother of Edward VII, who was the father of George V, who was the father of both Edward VIII and George VI (who was Liz II's dad).
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

What four-leaf cloverfield did Andrew walk through on his way to the studio to get a DJ DD in his exact primary research specialty -- 19th Century French composers? Holy bananas, that was fantastic. Shame he couldn't take out a loan from Alex for another 20K.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Fortuitous DD or not, Andrew was very impressive. Looks like he was a tick under Alan for highest coryat of the week. Though Seth was my top rooting interest, I've always liked Andrew and have thought for a long time that he was the guy to beat in this tight field. A performance like that only proves the point further.

Ouch for Justin, as he did play a very good game overall. His wager was certainly interesting, but it worked out for Tim though!

I think you guys have nailed the matchup predictions as there are a lot of different variables to be accounted for this time. So many good players still standing .. very much looking forward to it!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Even more painful, as they gave "Victoria Cross" in the clue as a possible correct form.