Friday, November 10, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Re: Friday, November 10, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Well, for obvious reasons, I had wanted all three of Andrew, Pranjal, and Tim to make it to the second week, but that's not the way I wanted to see it happen. I feel really sorry for Justin.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:35 pm Well, for obvious reasons, I had wanted all three of Andrew, Pranjal, and Tim to make it to the second week
Um, perhaps not obvious for the rest of us...

I got tonight's FJ, but didn't have a lot of confidence. Great game by Andrew.
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

For me, another poor score.
15 right, 2 wrong (one top row, one bottom)
Coryat: a pathetic 7000. More than half of that was from the J! round.

In the J! round, I got at least one right in every category. DJ! had me watching two full categories go by, 1017 and movie mashups, and giving one wrong answer in SciFi. (Apparently Ray Bradbury is too easy an answer to consider for a ToC scifi category.)

Clearly, I need to do some work before even thinking about taking the test.

FJ!, I was tossing a coin between Edward and George, thinking the brothers would be about the right age to be Vicky's GG kids. Then I remembered that Eddie abdicated, leaving George to handle WWII. I followed this decent bit of part-knowledge and part-logic up by muffing the form, writing down "Georgian" instead of George (despite the example in the question, which I never noticed until reading the reddit thread after watching the game). Since they negged Justin, for "George's", I figured I have to neg myself for a very similar error.

I can't figure Justin's wager at all. A logical wager would be 5600, going for the win if he gets it right and Andrew gets it wrong while wagering to cover a double. But I've been reading here for only a couple of weeks and already have learned that somewhere around 15,000 is almost guaranteed to get a wild-card spot. With 16k already, a zero bet would be very reasonable. As always, the idea isn't to win the most, it's to get to the next game and a chance to win more.

Jon's wager was entirely logical - he had to double his score to have any chance at the wild-card (and actually didn't have a chance at all, but he didn't know that at the time.) Andrew wagered very reasonably, knowing that even losing the match to a double from Justin would leave him with a virtual guarantee of a wild-card berth.
--Peter
Peter the accountant

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:07 amThe TS for the movie with people traveling through a body had me picturing Raquel Welch.
Me too! And little a submarine coursing through blood vessels and fighting off white blood cells and all sorts of great sciency anatomy things. But I couldn't remember the name of the darn movie. (And book, I presume.)

I remember watching the movie as a kid, fascinated by all of the anatomy I was learning.
--Peter
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

It may be just me, but I feel like the games have gotten tougher as the week progressed.

I lost the coin flip between Edward and George. I can never instantly recall the order of the Edwards and Georges after Victoria's reign, and the pressure of those 30 seconds didn't help.

And so the quarterfinals come to an end, but the semifinals & finals next week should be really good.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
PhilKohn
Contributor

Post by PhilKohn »

econgator wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:40 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:35 pm I'm still a bit shaky when it comes to their relationships to each other.
For reference: Victoria was mother of Edward VII, who was the father of George V, who was the father of both Edward VIII and George VI (who was Liz II's dad).
I didn't really worry about the relationships -- the George Cross was most famously awarded collectively to the citizens of the island of Malta in 1942 for the heroism of the people in withstanding tremendous hardships inflicted by the Germans and the Italians in World War II. In fact, The George Cross appears on both the flag and the coat of arms of Malta, which for a while styled itself as "Republic of Malta, GC"

However, I am a little suspicious of the FJ clue itself: "...Victoria Cross is for military bravery; this cross...is for civilian bravery." Sounds as if one is for military only, and this cross (George Cross) is for civilians (only). Not true: George Cross may be awarded to a person of any military rank in any military service and to civilians. Am I just splitting hairs? I'd have thought the writing team would have been more careful with the wording.

I was also surprised at how poorly tonight's contestants did in the Science Fiction category, especially as was noted missing Frank Herbert as author of "Dune" for $400 in DJ.

$7,200 in Lach Trash in DJ alone tonight: Druzes, Frank Herbert, Triffids, Fantastic Voyage, Dial M for Murder & Strangers on a Train; and Paths of Glory & A Clockwork Orange.

Classical Music and Indian Americans both zapped me: perfect scores -- 0 all the way :cry:

Indeed should be good matches next week.
Jeopardy! Contestant (finally!) after 51 years of trying! Jeopardy! match #34-34, Contestant #3, aired 10/26/2017
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:08 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:35 pm Well, for obvious reasons, I had wanted all three of Andrew, Pranjal, and Tim to make it to the second week
I’m guessing because they are Ohioans. (Pranjal, despite being introduced as from Urbana,IL during this TOC, was “originally from Shaker Heights, Ohio” in his regular run.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Peter the accountant

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:35 pm ... while I have memorized the monarchs, I'm still a bit shaky when it comes to their relationships to each other.
When in doubt, Great(n) grand parent/grand child is always a good guess. Even when you wander down an Uncle/Aunt portion of the tree for a moment, they still share a grandparent at some point.
--Peter
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:07 am Author of Dune should not be a TS. The TS for the movie with people traveling through a body had me picturing Raquel Welch.
4/5 of Sci Fi shouldn't be a TS... Course, once they missed Paths of Glory I gave up on em. :D

When George's Cross got negged I started marking my stuff wrong...then 'George Cross' got revealed and I had to flip everything back to right.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:30 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:08 pm
I’m guessing because they are Ohioans. (Pranjal, despite being introduced as from Urbana,IL during this TOC, was “originally from Shaker Heights, Ohio” in his regular run.)
This is correct.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:46 pm
Semifinals Sudoku!
The J! page: https://www.jeopardy.com/tournaments/20 ... -champions

has a thumbnail that shows a match that lines up to a semifinal as the powers would not be dumb enough to spoil the finals. Right?

With that showing three of the players for a game then the sudoku leaves:
Spoiler

Buzzy, Tim, Lisa
Jason, Alan, Pranjal

if it is Buzzy, Jason, Alan
and Tim, Lisa, Pranjal that does not seem right or fair or fun or something
sidinsd12
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by sidinsd12 »

I don't understand Justin's Final Jeopardy wager. It's baffling! He must have known that 16,000 was enough to qualify as a runner-up, so why wouldn't he bet $0 thereby ensuring himself a place in the semi-finals? Or if he is so arrogant that he thinks he knows everything then bet just a little bit, maybe $1000, so if he gets it wrong he still has 15000 which would have been enough to get him to the next round. 7000 just makes no sense at all, if he wins it doesn't beat the first place guy and if he loses it knocks him out which is what happened. These Jeopardy contestants baffle me because you would think someone so intelligent would figure out how to wager in Final Jeopardy, but none of them seem to be good at it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:12 pm Clearly, I need to do some work before even thinking about taking the test.
There are quite a few of the old tests on here. Take those and see how you do. At any rate, there's no harm in taking the test if you want to see how you do.
PhilKohn wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:28 pm I didn't really worry about the relationships -- the George Cross was most famously awarded collectively to the citizens of the island of Malta in 1942 for the heroism of the people in withstanding tremendous hardships inflicted by the Germans and the Italians in World War II. In fact, The George Cross appears on both the flag and the coat of arms of Malta, which for a while styled itself as "Republic of Malta, GC"
Crud. I should have known it from this. It didn't come to mind in 30 seconds, of course.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

I couldn't believe the .200 batting average in Science Fiction. These guys' geek cards will officially be under review. :lol:

Meanwhile...
zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:43 am
  • Friday: This three-player slugfest is a dead heat into FJ. Everyone bets for $15k and they all get it, with Justin winning and the other two claiming the remaining wildcard spots.
I must be a TV meteorologist, because my forecasts got worse the further out they went. ;) Sorry to see Jon out, and Justin's FJ! neg was heartbreaking. I had missed the broadcast so I was catching up online, and I was so confused when Andrew's response was counted correct that I had to rewind and watch it again. I'm pretty sure I've heard/seen them mentioned both with and without the possessive, but perhaps not by sources that knew all the ins and outs of such things. Congrats to Andrew on a masterful performance.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I said Mountbatten. He was Prince Philip’s uncle as well as a great-grandson of Victoria, so I was in the ballpark. I did have George written down, but crossed him out.

I did not add “Cross” to my response. I wonder if they would have taken just George.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:44 pm
PanthersFan1 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:09 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:41 am Even though I'm always wrong it's always fun to play the semifinal prediction game.

Going by $ totals in QF matches
W1: Buzzy
W2: Andrew
W3: Jason
W4: Alan
W5: Lisa
WC1: Pranjal
WC2: Austin
WC3: Lilly
WC4: Tim

For starters I would think Tim, Lilly and Jason from QF2 will be in separate games. The powers can’t be crazy enough to put Austin and Buzzy in the same game and they probably do not want Andrew taking a shot at Buzzy or Austin. Lisa & Lilly will be in separate games.

I’ll go with:
Buzzy, Lisa, Tim
Jason, Andrew, Pranjal (group of death)
Alan, Austin, Lilly
Alan & Austin have already played each other in the quarter finals so noway they will play aginst each other in the semi finals.
Oh right, so that doesn't work for my groupings. I still like group S1 and I like Austin facing Lilly. I have to get Alan out of S3 and he can go to S2. If I make S2 Jason, Andrew, and Alan that works. S3 could be Pranjal, Austin and Lilly but then that's three wildcards. I don't see the powers doing that.

Time to break out 9 pieces of scratch paper to make it visual. Okay, I have worked out:
S1: Buzzy, Alan, Lilly
S2: Andrew, Pranjal, Tim
S3: Jason, Lisa, Austin

Nobody played each other in the QF round. The women are separated. No game has three wildcards. Austin and Buzzy do not have to play Andrew. Buzzy and Austin do not play each other. Does that work?
The matchups are not posted yet. However, you probably can deduce one matchup from J website. Looks to me like a match containing ONE each from your three groupings.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:40 pm
heppm01 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:36 pm Do the contestants know the non-winning dollar amounts from earlier tapings or are they sequestered?
They are sequestered.
If you're playing in a tournament it helps to know that four non-winners (wild cards) advance based on high scores.

Knowing that, it would be very handy to know what score you had to beat. But since they aren't allowed to know that...

It would be handy to know from past tournaments what score it has taken to advance. Not hard to get a good sample of those scores, to give you a guideline.

I wonder if Justin never knew any or part of this, or if he really thought it would take $25K to advance. As I prepared for FJ I ASSUMED he would bet $0. Whoever said it was a painful possessive was right, but he could/should have made it moot by standing pat. That was a painful wager.

I don't know if I've ever heard of George Cross, so it was a toss-up between Edward and George. I also guessed there would be no " 's " just as in Victoria (not Victoria's) Cross. I guessed correctly, much to my surprise.

Maybe there should be an award for the outstanding achievement in Jeopardy! each season. Call it the Alex Cross. (if that name hasn't been used already).
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

sidinsd12 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:38 am I don't understand Justin's Final Jeopardy wager. It's baffling! He must have known that 16,000 was enough to qualify as a runner-up, so why wouldn't he bet $0 thereby ensuring himself a place in the semi-finals? Or if he is so arrogant that he thinks he knows everything then bet just a little bit, maybe $1000, so if he gets it wrong he still has 15000 which would have been enough to get him to the next round. 7000 just makes no sense at all, if he wins it doesn't beat the first place guy and if he loses it knocks him out which is what happened. These Jeopardy contestants baffle me because you would think someone so intelligent would figure out how to wager in Final Jeopardy, but none of them seem to be good at it.
These wagers are calculated under enormous pressure, and whatever reasoning goes into it, I don't think "arrogance" comes into play at all. Justin was not aware of the previous games' scores when he made this wager.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

John Boy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:46 am
Maybe there should be an award for the outstanding achievement in Jeopardy! each season. Call it the Alex Cross. (if that name hasn't been used already).
Only if they can get Morgan Freeman and Tyler Perry to show up to present the award.
davey

Post by davey »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:18 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:07 amThe TS for the movie with people traveling through a body had me picturing Raquel Welch.
Me too! And little a submarine coursing through blood vessels and fighting off white blood cells and all sorts of great sciency anatomy things. But I couldn't remember the name of the darn movie. (And book, I presume.)

I remember watching the movie as a kid, fascinated by all of the anatomy I was learning.
I remember thinking even as a kid that the science was a little iffy...Asimov's book was a hired job, a novelization of the movie screenplay, which he otherwise wasn't involved in. He did his own version of the story 20 years later: Destination Brain.
George would have been a good default guess for this FJ. Too bad I tried to figure it out, with abject failure... :roll: