Friday, November 10, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Friday, November 10, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

I outfoxed myself on this one. I got to George easily enough. Edward's history ruled him out. But the George Cross just didn't sound familiar. I worried I was missing a step. I remembered that George VI's first name was Albert. The Albert Cross sounded right somehow. So I went with it. Sigh.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

John Boy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:46 am Maybe there should be an award for the outstanding achievement in Jeopardy! each season. Call it the Alex Cross. (if that name hasn't been used already).
Or the Cindy Cross.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

sidinsd12 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:38 am I don't understand Justin's Final Jeopardy wager. It's baffling! He must have known that 16,000 was enough to qualify as a runner-up
This is a faulty premise. He knew nothing of the sort. He could have known $16,000 should get him in, but there was no way he could have known what the actual cut line was going to be.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

davey wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:25 am
Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:18 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:07 amThe TS for the movie with people traveling through a body had me picturing Raquel Welch.
Me too! And little a submarine coursing through blood vessels and fighting off white blood cells and all sorts of great sciency anatomy things. But I couldn't remember the name of the darn movie. (And book, I presume.)

I remember watching the movie as a kid, fascinated by all of the anatomy I was learning.
I remember thinking even as a kid that the science was a little iffy...Asimov's book was a hired job, a novelization of the movie screenplay, which he otherwise wasn't involved in. He did his own version of the story 20 years later: Destination Brain.
George would have been a good default guess for this FJ. Too bad I tried to figure it out, with abject failure... :roll:
I saw the movie in the theater when I was about 14 or so. I remember looking forward to it based on the trailers, and enjoyed it right up until the end. I remember even as a 14-year-old being pretty disgusted about how stupid the ending was, with the voyagers being rescued but leaving the submarine behind in the guy's head as they returned to normal size. At least Asimov considered that when he did the later novelization.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:22 pm
davey wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:25 am
Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:18 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:07 amThe TS for the movie with people traveling through a body had me picturing Raquel Welch.
Me too! And little a submarine coursing through blood vessels and fighting off white blood cells and all sorts of great sciency anatomy things. But I couldn't remember the name of the darn movie. (And book, I presume.)

I remember watching the movie as a kid, fascinated by all of the anatomy I was learning.
I remember thinking even as a kid that the science was a little iffy...Asimov's book was a hired job, a novelization of the movie screenplay, which he otherwise wasn't involved in. He did his own version of the story 20 years later: Destination Brain.
George would have been a good default guess for this FJ. Too bad I tried to figure it out, with abject failure... :roll:
I saw the movie in the theater when I was about 14 or so. I remember looking forward to it based on the trailers, and enjoyed it right up until the end. I remember even as a 14-year-old being pretty disgusted about how stupid the ending was, with the voyagers being rescued but leaving the submarine behind in the guy's head as they returned to normal size. At least Asimov considered that when he did the later novelization.
And then there's the Archer version... :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Damsel (7), WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7)
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

davey wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:25 am I remember thinking even as a kid that the science was a little iffy...
I'm pretty sure I was too young to know better yet. For me it was more like one of the sparks that got me interested in science. Never did a lot of science in school, it was mostly science on my terms, the bits I wanted to learn - except for space exploration. Being the son of an actual rocket engineer working in the 60s and 70s will do that to you!
--Peter
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Here's what I know:

- The thumbnail of the promo at Jeopardy.com shows Andrew / Austin / Lilly.
- Austin tweeted his semifinal was Monday, thus Andrew / Austin / Lilly is Monday.
- Buzzy tweeted his semifinal was Tuesday.
- Alan tweeted his semifinal was Wednesday.
- Because all of Monday is known, and Pranjal can't play Buzzy, Pranjal has to be Wednesday, leaving Jason, Tim, and Lisa.
- Because Jason and Tim can't play on the same day with Buzzy, that means Lisa has to be Tuesday.

So we have:
M: Andrew / Austin / Lilly
T: Buzzy / Lisa / Jason or Tim
W: Alan / Pranjal / Jason or Tim
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:38 pm Here's what I know:

- The screenshot of the promo at Jeopardy.com shows Andrew / Austin / Lilly.
- Austin tweeted his semifinal was Monday, thus Andrew / Austin / Lilly is Monday.
- Because all of Monday is known, and Pranjal can't play Buzzy, Pranjal has to be Wednesday, leaving Jason, Tim, and Lisa.
- Because Jason and Tim can't play on the same day with Buzzy, that means Lisa has to be Tuesday.

So we have:
Buzzy, Austin, and a sack of grain need to get to the other side of a river. . .
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:38 pm Here's what I know:

- The thumbnail of the promo at Jeopardy.com shows Andrew / Austin / Lilly.

So we have:
Given what we know, who do we think has the toughest draw of the remaining nine? Lilly would be the simple pick given Austin's previous aura and Andrew's QF performance, but depending on Tim's landing spot he might be a contender too.
Last edited by acthomas on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

There is a thumbnail on J's website that shows three semifinalists on stage together (posted ten days ago), all of whom are in separate semifinal days. It's likely the finals are spoiled in plain sight.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Ironhorse wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:39 pm There is a thumbnail on J's website that shows three semifinalists on stage together (posted ten days ago), two of whom are confirmed in separate semifinal days. If that's the case it's likely the finals are spoiled in plain sight.
Could also just be a rehearsal shot -- those have been confirmed to be seen on the site as well by the contestants (though I don't recall which ones in particular).
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

acthomas wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:42 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:39 pm There is a thumbnail on J's website that shows three semifinalists on stage together (posted ten days ago), two of whom are confirmed in separate semifinal days. If that's the case it's likely the finals are spoiled in plain sight.
Could also just be a rehearsal shot -- those have been confirmed to be seen on the site as well by the contestants (though I don't recall which ones in particular).
I'll go with that going forward :)
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

acthomas wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:39 pm but depending on Tim's landing spot he might be a contender too.
Are you suggesting Buzzy/Lisa is tougher, or Alan/Pranjal? Because that could really go either way.

I might even say that if Jason ends up on Tuesday, Lisa also would have a pretty tough draw, all things considered.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I just learned (from Andy's site) that the George Cross appears on the Flag of Malta. That could be useful to know going forward.
zdude69closedrofl
Valued Contributor

Post by zdude69closedrofl »

I really, really hope Austin and Andrew aren't in the same game. Those are my two favorites to win it all!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

zerobandwidth wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:09 am I couldn't believe the .200 batting average in Science Fiction. These guys' geek cards will officially be under review. :lol:
Amen. Next they'll be missing Asimov clues.

But, IIRC, it was some old school Science Fiction, right? Said the guy who recently rescued his Barsoom collection (and Pellucidar, Tarzan, Venus ... ) from his folks' home. :geek:
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

I assume there's some sarcasm there, because the $2,000 clue was Asimov, or at least his novelization of Fantastic Voyage.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Newhausen wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:31 am I assume there's some sarcasm there, because the $2,000 clue was Asimov, or at least his novelization of Fantastic Voyage.
Actually, I had completely forgotten that they all missed the Fantastic Voyage clue.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

zdude69closedrofl wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:16 pm I really, really hope Austin and Andrew aren't in the same game. Those are my two favorites to win it all!
Sad news, guess who's on tonight.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
darkgreenblue
Contributor

Post by darkgreenblue »

PhilKohn wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:28 pm However, I am a little suspicious of the FJ clue itself: "...Victoria Cross is for military bravery; this cross...is for civilian bravery." Sounds as if one is for military only, and this cross (George Cross) is for civilians (only). Not true: George Cross may be awarded to a person of any military rank in any military service and to civilians. Am I just splitting hairs? I'd have thought the writing team would have been more careful with the wording.

Classical Music and Indian Americans both zapped me: perfect scores -- 0 all the way :cry:
Agree about FJ -- I hate when it has any ambiguity or questionable wording. If they can't get it squeaky clean, they should ditch it as a FJ clue. Were I in that game, I'd be doubly frustrated, because my answer after quickly running the succession was George VI Cross, which is wrong. (I didn't know of the award, but I know the royal line, and figured George V was built-in negbait.)

Classical Music and Opera are indeed "dreaded" categories (as the latter was titled on Tuesday) for most contestants; the number of triple stumpers they induce, per the Archive, is astonishingly high. For a classical fan such as me, Andrew heroically achieved a longtime dream: finding a Classical DD in DJ and going all-in. Jeopardy never goes into depth with this category, as they do with literature and history... It's just a handful of major composers and works, so if you *do* have any classical background, the success rate should be very high. Great job Andrew!