Maintaining Confidentiality of Who Has Won on Jeopardy!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Maintaining Confidentiality of Who Has Won on Jeopardy!

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:58 pm Granted, I don’t think most non-board or fans of the show have figured out the rule that same-names can’t play against each other. (I know it never occurred to me until I joined).
Except it's not a rule. They try to avoid it whenever possible, but it has happened. Stefan would know, but there was a college tournament where that happened and they used another name for one of the contestants.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:41 am
dhkendall wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:58 pm Granted, I don’t think most non-board or fans of the show have figured out the rule that same-names can’t play against each other. (I know it never occurred to me until I joined).
Except it's not a rule. They try to avoid it whenever possible, but it has happened. Stefan would know, but there was a college tournament where that happened and they used another name for one of the contestants.
There have been two Teen Tournaments and a ToC where it happened in the finals (where TPTB's hands are tied and they can't change who plays against whom): in 1988 David Javerbaum and David Graham were in the TT finals, and the former went as D.J.; in 1996, Michael Daunt and Michael Dupée made the ToC finals, and Dupée went by Mike for that. And in the 2008 TT, Rachel Horn and Rachel Cooke were in the finals together, and Rachel Cooke was "Steve" (a silly high school nickname) (written with quotation marks).

Also, the 1985 ToC didn't have its quarter-final matchups arranged by TPTB, but in order of when the contestants first played, and it happened that J!'s third trio of 5x champions included Paul Boymel and Paul Croshier, the latter of whom included his rank in the Marines to avoid confusion. So he was "Staff Sergeant Paul," written "SSgt Paul" on his display.
Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

I seem to remember that the Washington Post quoted Matt Jackson's mother during his streak in such a way as to imply he had already filmed his Tournament of Champions. But it was ambiguous enough that it was unclear whether it was a spoiler or bad phrasing by a reporter who maybe did not quite understand how the show worked. And then the article was edited to remove the reference, although again, that could have been either "cut the spoiler" or "remove the error." In retrospect, though, it apparently was a spoiler.
Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

Although it can't be avoided in a Tournament, the real danger of two players of the same name is the temptation to respond to the other guy's name. If my name is Rumpelstiltskin, I would be willing to be accept being called Rumpy for the chance to be on TV and maybe win a lot of money, but I would be afraid that I would blurt out a response if I and the other Rumpelstiltskin ring in at the same time and his name is called.

I can say from personal experience that Maggie has called it a rule, but again, tournaments would be a special case.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

At least the timing lights at the top of the lectern are also visible from the contestants' side, so someone stuck in this situation could glance down at those lights each time the shared name is called. Still, having to do that on every clue would probably get distracting.

I was glad that the potential for this to happen to me was near zero. :lol:
(Not that it ever had the chance to come up.)
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:28 am There have been two Teen Tournaments and a ToC where it happened in the finals
I knew I could count on you!
RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

boson wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:42 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:24 pm His friend's name was Matt Bruce.
Meow
Please stop. Cease and desist.

;)
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

RCraig wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:56 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:24 pm His friend's name was Matt Bruce.
Meow

;)
Sigh, I must be a professor/dad because I can't let an inside joke sit and be mildly amusing without explaining it too much.

For some of the dark history of the internet and Matt Bruce's place in it, read on:
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... net-groups
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

boson wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:12 am
RCraig wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:56 pm
Meow

;)
Sigh, I must be a professor/dad because I can't let an inside joke sit and be mildly amusing without explaining it too much.

For some of the dark history of the internet and Matt Bruce's place in it, read on:
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... net-groups
Damn, did that take me back, Usenet seems like almost yesterday to me now! (Still have some friends I originally made on Usenet over 25 years ago!)

Surprised though, in all that they mentioned mass-posting of Monty Python quotes, but not once did they mention that’s likely where the term “spam” came from (referring to the eponymous Monty Python sketch).

I’m assuming this is a different Matt Bruce though.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:16 pm I’m assuming this is a different Matt Bruce though.
"a Harvard student and Nose regular named Matt Bruce"

"For Bruce, there was no undoing the damage. 'After that, any time I reacted to the trolls it inspired them to do more,' he said. Online life became suddenly volatile: 'At the height of the trolling, my email address at Boston University became unusable, and the admins dropped all messages addressed to my account because it was such a high percentage of their inbound traffic.'"

In light of those quotations, will BruceM's LearnedLeague profile mentioning his education at Harvard and Boston University convince you otherwise? https://learnedleague.com/profiles.php?brucem
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:29 pm
dhkendall wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:16 pm I’m assuming this is a different Matt Bruce though.
"a Harvard student and Nose regular named Matt Bruce"

"For Bruce, there was no undoing the damage. 'After that, any time I reacted to the trolls it inspired them to do more,' he said. Online life became suddenly volatile: 'At the height of the trolling, my email address at Boston University became unusable, and the admins dropped all messages addressed to my account because it was such a high percentage of their inbound traffic.'"

In light of those quotations, will BruceM's LearnedLeague profile mentioning his education at Harvard and Boston University convince you otherwise? https://learnedleague.com/profiles.php?brucem
Oh, it very well might, but I wouldn’t have guessed without that connector that Usenet Matt was into trivia (or that LL BruceM was Ken’s friend as JenningsK isn’t his referrer.). Your research is usually impeccable so I’ll defer to you.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I would say "Quiz Bowl acquaintances" characterizes Ken and Matt's relationship more than "friends," really, and given the quizzical circles they ran/run in, it shouldn't be terribly surprising that they'd become LL members independently of each other.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:16 pm
I’m assuming this is a different Matt Bruce though.
It is the same Matt Bruce. alt.college.college-bowl was destroyed by trolls following him across the internet. It was really nasty, and I probably shouldn't have brought it up, since it became hateful and unfunny fairly quickly, but I hadn't thought about it in a long time.

This was about 5 or 6 years after the term "spam" was invented though, for posting across all the usenet newsgroups.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

A J! contestant's mom is talking to hometown media. If you want to avoid potential spoilers, be careful what you read this week! :?