FJs for the 11/6/17 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 11/6/17 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:50 pm

This 1880 piece was written more than 6 decades after the Battle of Borodino, the conflict it commemorates
86%
South of the Tropic of Capricorn, this kingdom is the world's southernmost landlocked country
67%
In 1824 he was refused burial in Westminster Abbey for "questionable morality"; in 1969 he got a memorial stone there
55%
A street-corner occupation that saved many in the Depression was aided by a 1930 tops-in-the-U.S. crop in this state
40%
The Victoria Cross is for military bravery; this cross first given in 1940 & named for Victoria's great-grandson is for civilian bravery
47%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
12%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
BACKING BANDS $200: Ziggy Marley & these alliterative folks
19%
BACKING BANDS $1000: Bob Seger & this band
72%
WHAT DO YOU COLLECT $1000: A deltiologist: these greetings
20%
Swaziland was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
13%
Keats or Shelley was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
17%
Coleridge or Wilde was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
10%
I got to apples for the Thursday FJ! clue and then guessed the wrong state.
5%
I got to a fruit other than apples for the Thursday FJ! clue and then guessed the wrong state.
15%
Edward Cross was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
18%

Total votes: 138

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: FJs for the 11/6/17 week

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry: :roll: :cry:
:cry: :cry: :cry:

I knew about apple sellers in the Depression. I knew that Washington is now a big producer of apples. I also knew that New York is a big producer of apples and historically has been. I'd be interested in any evidence that the apple sellers in the big cities (e.g. New York aka The Big Apple, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit) were selling apples that had been sent all the way from Washington rather than the local product.

I agree that a good TOC clue will often require the joining of two different pieces of information. I disagree that it will leave open perfectly plausible guesses that cannot be ruled out by anything other than the hunch that the writers would require x amount of knowledge but not x + y. I think that's not playing fair with the contestants. In the actual event, though, it seems clear that only one contestant made the apple connection and that contestant made the right guess. So as Alex would say, no harm no foul.

EDIT: Here's a relevant paper from 1965

http://publications.dyson.cornell.edu/o ... b65392.pdf

In 1935, Washington produced 28.2 million bushels to New York's 12.1 million. New York went on to increase production and catch up (or almost catch up) to Washington in the 1960s. This is the opposite of what I would have predicted. Or postdicted, I suppose. Nevertheless, apple production in New York, Michigan, and Virginia exceeded that of Washington in 1935. So I stand by my assertion that the iconic NYC apple seller wasn't offering a west coast import. However, I'll concede that Washington's bumper crop may have allowed more of the East's local product to stay at home and may have driven down prices. This could have made it easier for the unemployed to purchase apples cheaply and find customers who could afford their wares.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Only 18% know about Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers? Bloodclot!
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:20 pm Only 18% know about Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers? Bloodclot!
I associated "Melody Makers" with Harry James and his Orchestra when you mentioned that term. However, on checking my memory, it's "Harry James & His Music Makers". :oops:

I went with "Wailers" for Ziggy Marley. That's Bob Marley's band, though... I think.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Rackme32 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:05 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:20 pm Only 18% know about Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers? Bloodclot!
I associated "Melody Makers" with Harry James and his Orchestra when you mentioned that term. However, on checking my memory, it's "Harry James & His Music Makers". :oops:

I went with "Wailers" for Ziggy Marley. That's Bob Marley's band, though... I think.
Correct. The band was originally just "The Wailers" but became "Bob Marley and the Wailers" after the core group of Bob, Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer split up.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Wednesday was kind of a toss-up between Shelley and Byron, and I figured Byron was more decadent of the two. Keats is my favorite of that trio.

Got both backing bands. Have been accumulating postcards since 1981 and have a couple hundred, but have never heard that word.

Wrote out an actual Dawson's Crossing with WA/NY. Knew WA was and remains a huge apple producer but NY is too, and wondered if its nearness to east coast cities... but stuck with the homeland, crossed out the Empire State and was rewarded.

Mary Worth of the comics started out as Apple Mary. Pretty funny to picture someone selling wheat on the street. Weed, sure...
In and out of the pool four times
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Oh, I know about them, but I'm not part of the 18%.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:48 pm
Oh, I know about them, but I'm not part of the 18%.
I'll admit it took me a couple seconds to dredge it out of my memory banks. It's not a band name I've thought about much in the last 20 years. Definitely difficult for $200.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :|

Didn't come up with apples - thought of lemonade stands and said California for lemons instead.

Instantly thought of George, then committed the cardinal sin of continuing to think, doubting whether I was even in the right country and ended up on Edwardian (which would have been doubly wrong).
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

ROFLMAO @ "Thursday was first proper TOC FJ"; IMHO it was a WAG clue even if you knew about the apple selling. Lousy TOM!
Another CA guess here.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :evil: :mrgreen:
:cry: :cry: :cry:

"Ziggy Stardust"... DOH. Clam on Silver Bullet Band then "Head-slap!" Moar Doh. Sigh. :?
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Not going with my first instinct (Lesotho) cost me a 5-for-5 week. Dang.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

Had apples but no idea on a state.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(
ClosingTime
Valued Contributor

Post by ClosingTime »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(
:( :( :(
Boy, pretty terrible week. I think I would have gotten Lesotho more than half the time--I was thinking of the enclave inside South Africa but derped on its name. I don't remember what I guessed on Wednesday. Thursday I followed apples to New York instead of Washington. If I remember correctly, I said something like St. George Cross on Friday, not close enough.

32335232[1ToC}, 24-21
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni