Learned League 74 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by seaborgium »

Looking at the standings of that 1DS, I'm curious about the people who got 11 right, and how they managed that (at least without missing the center of the palindrome in number 5). I guess there's enough leniency in the standard grading rules that someone could acceptably misspell one response, while causing its reversal to be unacceptably misspelled. So, for example, I bet that the people who missed AMC but got Marc Maron probably spelled his first name with a K.

I feel bad for the people who missed only #10 and #11; I assume they were unfamiliar with the Whitman quote and the sauce, and tried to make the palindrome with "yaw" and "peel." So close...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Dang, really surprised that the GotG clue on Twilight Zone was the 2nd least guessed. That was a massive story...or so I thought...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I somehow got all confused in the fully palindromic 1DS and was convinced that I needed an "s" in two clues and answered s"trap" and s"irene". I guess I figured the s was needed from somewhere else and got confused. Except for that I would have had 12 correct.

Fortunately my moneying wasn't great and I wouldn't have won anyhow.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:50 pm Dang, really surprised that the GotG clue on Twilight Zone was the 2nd least guessed. That was a massive story...or so I thought...
I had no clue on that one. Aced the other 11 questions. (Ya know, the ones that actually had something to do with the show.) Now, I'm really surprised that Bernard Herrmann played the hardest of all, given the Hitchcock/Oscar clues.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:50 pm Dang, really surprised that the GotG clue on Twilight Zone was the 2nd least guessed. That was a massive story...or so I thought...
I was shocked that I won this quiz (actually tied with one other person) although I knew that I got all 12 right after I submitted it. :o I thought it was quite easy. I was surprised that I got credit for "Death" instead of "Mr. Death". I guessed on the clown--I thought I remembered it, but I wasn't sure if I was using memory or something that seemed to make sense. A Marvelite like me had no problems with the "Guardians of the Galaxy" clue and I too am puzzled that Bernard Hermann was such a difficult get for the group.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Thanks to woof for the reminder that it is time to roll out a new Rundle in the Jundle. If you are not already enrolled in a private rundle and want to play in one with your fellow boardies, this is just the place for you. Feel free to invite other folks as well. Here is the relevant information:

Rundle Name: Rundle in the Jundle 5
Registration Code: kebertxela
Sprinkles are for winners.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:47 pm Thanks to woof for the reminder that it is time to roll out a new Rundle in the Jundle. If you are not already enrolled in a private rundle and want to play in one with your fellow boardies, this is just the place for you. Feel free to invite other folks as well. Here is the relevant information:

Rundle Name: Rundle in the Jundle 5
Registration Code: kebertxela
Thanks! Currently slated to come in second this season in the Rundle in the Jundle. Let's see who else wants to challenge my spot.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Registration deadline for the upcoming season was last night so you may be a bit late to the party. By that I mean if anyone wants to join you better do it ASAP if he hasn't cut it off yet.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:21 am Registration deadline for the upcoming season was last night so you may be a bit late to the party. By that I mean if anyone wants to join you better do it ASAP if he hasn't cut it off yet.
Yeah, I just looked on the LL site and couldn't find a link to join a Private Rundle.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Woof wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:36 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:21 am Registration deadline for the upcoming season was last night so you may be a bit late to the party. By that I mean if anyone wants to join you better do it ASAP if he hasn't cut it off yet.
Yeah, I just looked on the LL site and couldn't find a link to join a Private Rundle.
It's near the top. Should still be there?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Woof

Post by Woof »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:55 pm
The Private Rundles tab is there, but the page it takes me to has no place to register for a new one.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Woof wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:19 pm
The Private Rundles tab is there, but the page it takes me to has no place to register for a new one.
Just to sanity check, you're a premier member?
Woof

Post by Woof »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:32 pm
Yup. FWIW, it shows me the results of Rundle in the Jundle 4 (during LL 74), but as I say I see no link to register for a new one.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Woof wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:07 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:32 pm

Yup. FWIW, it shows me the results of Rundle in the Jundle 4 (during LL 74), but as I say I see no link to register for a new one.
Dang, cuz we have another odd man out situation in ours.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I rarely play the 1DS games and it shows as I went 10/12 (Should I be proud or embarrassed?) in Big Brother and messed up the $ putting one on a miss and failing to do a different one that was worth 95. #60 is good for me anyway. Not as good as another board member though.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I fell behind on my playing-along in the last few weeks. Are there any particularly great 1DSes I should look at, regardless of subject? October 20 is the last day I played along with. I already have tabs open for Twilight Zone and Novelty Music 2.

EDIT:
Spoiler
Is "incredibly enough" in question 3 a reference I'm missing? I took that to mean it wasn't the Chuck Berry version of the song, which is the only one I know. Is it just incredible that he didn't have one before then?