Monday, November 13, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Monday, November 13, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

goatman wrote: Offering 'radius' for 'circumference' was clearly a misspeak, you could tell she knew it
It was a speaktoofass.

I'm not sure why Andrew wagered defensively on FJ, unless he really felt unsure about the category. If you expect them to only ask about VPs who did not become POTUS, it would seem like a fairly narrow field of possibilities.
If he was committed to outlasting Austin on a TS, it would have been better for him to bet 3198 instead of 3199. That way he would have a better chance of beating Lilly if she bets 2799.
Lilly chose poorly to defend against Andrew instead of Austin on a TS.
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

goatman wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:27 pm
Andrew offered a strong challenge but faded with some misses and too much guessing... :?
Unlike many fans I really don't appreciate Austin's 'clever' repartee and his odd gestures. IMHO it's an intimidation tactic designed to distract fellow contestants. It's apparent that he won tonite because the challengers let him get away with it. Stop guessing! :oops:
Austin's shtick is kind of souring on me a bit as well for some reason, but I highly doubt that there are any intimidation tactics in play. At this level of play, especially, I'd imagine that all the contestants are more focused on their own play and the game at hand. Austin's win tonight can be attributed to Andrew and Lilly both missing DD's that neutralized momentum and allowed him to have just enough for the lead. A correct Final response clinched it.. he did nothing wrong in my eyes.

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:47 pm
In retrospect, referring to Van Buren as a Vice President when he also held the next spot up would be really weird in an FJ clue.
Agreed .. with this particular category, I feel that unless explicitly mentioned that the veep in question later ascended to presidency, often they'll be looking for someone who never got higher than veep. That helped narrow my guessing, just picked the wrong one in this case.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:47 pm In retrospect, referring to Van Buren as a Vice President when he also held the next spot up would be really weird in an FJ clue.
That occurred to me too, but it was really the fact that he was Dutch that steered me away from V.B. after he was the first named that popped into my head. So then I started casting about for German folk tales, and immediately came up with the Pied Piper of Hamelin. From there, the path to Hamlin was much less circuitous than Austin's upcoming road-trip.

LT: magnet school; top of the world; Roma Downey; rife/rifle; and Van Allen Belts. I don't normally post my Lach trash, but if I can't do it in a TOC semifinal, when can I? :)

Congrats to Austin on making the finals. It was tough to see Andrew implode on what was a winnable game for him. I know what he was trying to do with his DJ DD wager, and it would have looked brilliant if it succeeded; but as others have noted, you have to expect a bottom-box DD in a TOC semi to be hard. In fairness, I thought that one was really hard. I would have needed at least a Chevrolet TOM to get to impala, and even then I might not have. Once Alex identified the creature as an impala, I did instantly know which capital they were going for. Anyway, immediately after the DD mix, Andrew had a $1,200 neg. Oddly, he then seemed to stop hunting for the other DD, and kept going to low-value clues for a while.

Props to Austin for consistently staying clam and not making bad guesses like he did in a lot of his regular-play games. (He only had 1 incorrect response tonight.) That allowed him to emerge with the lead after FJ over his opponents who made critical errors -- despite Austin failing to land on a single DD. And we all know Austin has a stellar FJ record, and this didn't seem like the type of FJ he would be likely to miss. Overall, Austin's performance tonight was the "float like a butterfly, sting like a butterfly" that Tim Aten was talking about in his interview segment last week. :D (Austin had the lowest Coryat tonight and the no DD's.) But he defeated 2 really good opponents, so more power to him.

ETA: request to MarkBarrett to poll the impala / Kampala DD.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

seriously, a Megadeth clue? And it was a TS?
Instaget FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yeah, music is clearly not these guys' strong suits. Stand and stare on Bob Seger and Megadeth, both of which even I got?!
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I went Pied Piper of Hamelin -> Hamilton, hoping their was a VP named Hamilton, since I knew Alexander was not one. Oops.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Thought Austin was unusually emot-y in this one. Not his best look.

What are the Blues? No, you're reacting like I narrowly missed it. Let me think... oh, there's another NHL team with Blue in the name, that must be it. That wasn't Jeopardy! at its fairest.

If you get this far, you have to have the confidence to go big or go home. I thought it was a good DJ risk, even with a difficult category. Statistically, if you're this good, and you have one question that would almost certainly send you to the final, take your shot.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

hscer wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:41 pm
goatman wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:27 pm and 'missionary' for 'missions' was another nail in her coffin, she was correcting herself but AT had already ruled against.

This reminds me...Austin was given a lot of time to correct "Blues" to "Blue Jackets" in the first round. Perhaps too much?
I thought the same. I looked at the response time for declaring answers wrong, and thought that Alex was too generous there. (Especially since "The Blues" is the name of a different--and wrong--NHL team.)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Even I got Megadeth & I hate that crap. Easy game with some surprising TSs such as Van Allen. When I was down in Buenos Aires, there was a Maserati on the road with Ohio plates. Much cooler than a Mercedes box. Easy FJ although I made a stop first at Van Buren but then realized it was veeps.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I wonder if the mystery guest factor came into play for Andrew? He saw none of Austin's regular play by TOC taping days. Andrew played in QF5, so he did not get to see Austin in QF3 either.

Did Andrew know how Austin got his wildcard spot? Did Andrew know it was 16K? Did Andrew think it was $16,000 with a zero wager in the FJ! round? If Andrew knew it was $8K doubled does that change what he may have thought about Austin?

As already pointed out Andrew was perfect on DD clues he played up until the miss on DD2. I wonder if Austin would have solved Kampala off the animal picture? It could be that Austin finds the DD and he's leaving with 10K for a semifinal exit.

I may not have seen quite the same game as others as I'm not sure "faded" and "imploded" are the right words for Andrew's defeat. He went for a big move and it did not work out. Just as easily he could have done impala to kampala and set himself up to play two more games.

A different clue selection later and Andrew could have played DD3. My instincts tell me Andrew would have coupled a correct response with a big enough wager to have won the game. Austin won the game and that is all that matters for him although the path through his first two games of the tournament have shown a lot of vulnerability.

The thing is in the TOC format that kind of route has happened previously and it only takes one great game out of four to take the title. Give Austin one of his big 3 DD games and the other finals game may not matter. On the other hand it's been clearly shown that Austin can be challenged quite well through the J! & DJ! round and I think that will hold up even if his opponents are (no offense, but lower on the paper totem pole) Lisa & Tim.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

goatman wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:27 pm It's apparent that he won tonite because the challengers let him get away with it. Stop guessing! :oops:
This seems tantamount to saying they threw the game. ("He won because they let him win"). That's a *serious* accusation round these parts, pardner.

Personally, I like Austin's persona because it's genuine and refreshing from most contestants. (It also shows he's comfortable and not nervous at all, which might be why he won the game (although I think everyone there was comfortable and at the least let their "butterflies fly in formation" as I've heard at Toastmasters)). I've actually been surprised that at the TOC he's been much less animated than he was in his regular games. (Not so much in his interviews - as today demonstrated - but during his introductions). Was kind of disappointed that we haven't seen his introduction mimes in the TOC. :(
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

In that Franciscan category, how are you supposed to get Grey?

The only thing I can think of is by knowing that Greyfriars is a thing. But other than that, I don't see anything in the clue that helps.
Hey Bobby-- From the habits they once wore, a Franciscan order of Britain & Ireland is known as this color friars
Is the Bobby supposed to mean anything? What about the Britain & Ireland?

(I missed the "once wore" part, thinking of the current habits of Franciscans. I knew that the OFM wear brown habits and the Conventual Franciscans wear black habits, so I'd have guessed one of those two. I couldn't think of what the third Franciscan order (the Capuchins) wore; I was thinking maybe white. Maybe this is one of those cases where knowing too much (and missing the "once wore" clue) hurts.)
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

tiwonge wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:51 pm In that Franciscan category, how are you supposed to get Grey?

The only thing I can think of is by knowing that Greyfriars is a thing. But other than that, I don't see anything in the clue that helps.
Hey Bobby-- From the habits they once wore, a Franciscan order of Britain & Ireland is known as this color friars

(I missed the "once wore" part, thinking of the current habits of Franciscans. I knew that the OFM wear brown habits and the Conventual Franciscans wear black habits, so I'd have guessed one of those two. I couldn't think of what the third Franciscan order (the Capuchins) wore; I was thinking maybe white. Maybe this is one of those cases where knowing too much (and missing the "once wore" clue) hurts.)
I think it is from this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyfriars_Bobby

I've never heard of it myself.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

tiwonge wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:51 pm In that Franciscan category, how are you supposed to get Grey?

Greyfriars Bobby.

Though I missed the TOM and blurted out Blackfriars.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

OSXpert wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:39 pm I went Pied Piper of Hamelin -> Hamilton, hoping their was a VP named Hamilton, since I knew Alexander was not one. Oops.
Same.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Andrew says "What is Beijing?". Alex says something along the lines of "Yes, Beijing", except that Alex pronounces it differently than Andrew. Am I just being hypercritical, or was Alex subtly implying that Andrew mispronounced it? Because I have it on the authority of Victor Mair, professor of Chinese at Penn, that Andrew's pronunciation is more nearly correct than Alex's.
Don't Think Twice
Contributor

Post by Don't Think Twice »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:51 pm I've actually been surprised that at the TOC he's been much less animated than he was in his regular games. (Not so much in his interviews - as today demonstrated - but during his introductions). Was kind of disappointed that we haven't seen his introduction mimes in the TOC. :(
That's because his introductions in the TOC are about six seconds shorter than in the regular games. It doesn't include the returning champ spiel: "And our returning champion, Austin Rogers, a bartender from New York, New York, whose twelve day winnings total four hundred thousand, blah, blah, blah. " As Austin said in an interview I saw, those intros were eleven seconds long and he did the mimes to kill time so that he wouldn't have to "stand there and look awkwardly into the red blinking camera." [/paraphrasing Austin a wee bit.]
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Well that was a nail-biter. My wife remarked heading into FJ! that the scores were low, but that was because Andrew and Lilly subtracted $11k from the game board with costly negs. Andrew's big move would have decided the game had it worked out, but still didn't knock him out of contention when it didn't. It really did come down to which contestants got FJ! right, and Austin reminded us — even after not getting a single DD — that yes, he is also a pub trivia quizmaster, not just a bartender.

I wonder if the judges would have accepted "ascetic" for "mendicant" in that Franciscan clue.

I would have been happy seeing any of these three players advance, because they were all brilliant, but I must admit it's gratifying to see Austin in the finals. Go forth, noble adversary, and carry the ashes of my dreams to the finals. :P
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:28 pm Precalled the first Music for Champs. If there is a more boring rock song than "We Are the Champions", then I have yet to hear it.
The writers spoiled it by having a Queen category before it, too.
dhkendall wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:51 pm
goatman wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:27 pm It's apparent that he won tonite because the challengers let him get away with it. Stop guessing! :oops:
This seems tantamount to saying they threw the game. ("He won because they let him win"). That's a *serious* accusation round these parts, pardner.

Personally, I like Austin's persona because it's genuine and refreshing from most contestants. (It also shows he's comfortable and not nervous at all, which might be why he won the game (although I think everyone there was comfortable and at the least let their "butterflies fly in formation" as I've heard at Toastmasters)). I've actually been surprised that at the TOC he's been much less animated than he was in his regular games. (Not so much in his interviews - as today demonstrated - but during his introductions). Was kind of disappointed that we haven't seen his introduction mimes in the TOC. :(
Seconded to all of DK's. I particularly liked the "Nope" after the two color negs.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

hscer wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:41 pm
goatman wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:27 pm and 'missionary' for 'missions' was another nail in her coffin, she was correcting herself but AT had already ruled against.

This reminds me...Austin was given a lot of time to correct "Blues" to "Blue Jackets" in the first round. Perhaps too much?
I even thought I heard Alex say "no", but apparently not.