Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by zerobandwidth »

S███ got real when the welcome emails came out and I got to actually stare at the names and flags in my rundle. It's like being introduced to the other classmates in a new semester's Trying Not to Suck at Trivia 101 section. I only wish I could follow that up by meeting up at the local pub for some friendly trash talk. :lol:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by acthomas »

zerobandwidth wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:21 am S███ got real when the welcome emails came out and I got to actually stare at the names and flags in my rundle. It's like being introduced to the other classmates in a new semester's Trying Not to Suck at Trivia 101 section. I only wish I could follow that up by meeting up at the local pub for some friendly trash talk. :lol:
I regularly wish I had more in-person contact with LLamas for exactly that reason!
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

Rookie season. I'm in R Alpine, as FeldmanS
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

zerobandwidth wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:21 am S███ got real when the welcome emails came out and I got to actually stare at the names and flags in my rundle. It's like being introduced to the other classmates in a new semester's Trying Not to Suck at Trivia 101 section. I only wish I could follow that up by meeting up at the local pub for some friendly trash talk. :lol:
Hey, Sasha, at least you aren't looking at a SterlacciJ staring you in the face.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Woof wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:26 pm
Hey, Pasha, at least you aren't looking at a SterlacciJ staring you in the face.
If I agree to be perpetually skunked by Jason in LL, do I get to play J! again? I'd take that devil's bargain.

classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

D Magnolia 2, grenierm. Looking forward to my first non-rookie season and hoping not to get relegated.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

zerobandwidth wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:48 pm
Woof wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:26 pm
Hey, Pasha, at least you aren't looking at a SterlacciJ staring you in the face.
If I agree to be perpetually skunked by Jason in LL, do I get to play J! again? I'd take that devil's bargain.
Erk. Sorry about the typo. Not my day for accurate typing, I'm afraid.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Woof wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:41 pm Erk. Sorry about the typo. Not my day for accurate typing, I'm afraid.
It's cool; you're not the first, by probably a three-digit factor. I'm more even lenient in "answers to" names than J! is with their soundalike response judgments. :lol:

SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

My debut in D rundle was a 3(2)-4(3) loss. And right off the bat I gave up a 3-pointer on Poetry magazine.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Re: Learned League 75 - MD1

Post by zerobandwidth »

MD1 A win! A 4(4)-3(3) win! I absolutely did a little dance in my kitchen when I saw the score on my phone. I'm undefeated in my entire LL career! Obviously it's time to retire on top. ;)
  • :mrgreen: I almost couldn't dredge up Andrew Garfield's last name. I knew it started with G but I was stumped for a good five minutes. And I'd like to express my appreciation to the Commissioner for accepting "Mcguire" for Maguire.
  • :mrgreen: Similarly I had already submitted the rest of my answers and took one last look at the picture before realizing what it was from --- a show I'd last seen over 10 years ago --- and was so excited I almost wrote the entire phrase NOT PENNY'S BOAT.
  • :roll: I could've had a 7(5) debut if I hadn't talked myself out of just writing Poetry, but I had never heard of the magazine, and thought a title as simple as "Poetry" was too obvious. It would have been a better guess than what I ended up going with (Amazing Stories).
  • :? Confession: I don't know 1920s folk music. Doesn't matter that they were from Virginia; I've never heard of the Carters. That was a sit-and-stare.
  • :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The last two seemed like "gimme" questions, but I originally had "couscous" instead of falafel until I reread the "formed into balls and fried" part of the clue.
It was interesting to see that my point assignments and my opponent's were nearly identical. Whether right or wrong, at least I know my initial strategic decisions are consistent with another player's. :lol:

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

That was a brutal set to open the season. Bloody Mary was easy, but I had no chance on any of the others. I knew Tobey Maguire but had no idea on the other Spider-Man.

My opponent was weak in World History but I still gave them a 0 on Bloody Mary, and they missed it. They gave me a 2 on It, even with World History being my second best category. I lost 2(1)-5(3).
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

The Bloody Mary one wasn't a history question for me, it was simply knowing that sanguine meant something to do with blood. Also, falafel is good.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

Apparently nobody watched Lost or at least remembers it. I gave it a 0 to two people (including private rundle) with high TV scores and both missed. 17% get rate on one of the most iconic moments of the show.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jfrumkin wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:06 am Apparently nobody watched Lost or at least remembers it. I gave it a 0 to two people (including private rundle) with high TV scores and both missed. 17% get rate on one of the most iconic moments of the show.
I watched every episode of Lost. I was a big fan. I discussed it endlessly. I had no idea what that picture was, let alone it being from Lost (kinda like watching Lost itself, now that I think about it). That's your 17% right there.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:17 am
jfrumkin wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:06 am Apparently nobody watched Lost or at least remembers it. I gave it a 0 to two people (including private rundle) with high TV scores and both missed. 17% get rate on one of the most iconic moments of the show.
I watched every episode of Lost. I was a big fan. I discussed it endlessly. I had no idea what that picture was, let alone it being from Lost (kinda like watching Lost itself, now that I think about it). That's your 17% right there.
Ditto.

(and how does "Penny" get accepted? Were "no" and "boa" accepted as well, because they're just one letter off, too).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I beat FrielP in my private rundle. We may well have tied (again), but for my sister giving my dad a subscription to Poetry for his birthday or Father's Day a couple of years ago.

Alas, my public opponent tied me with 7(4) to my 7(5) because he didn't miss the Carter family, and instead logged only his fifth film miss since joining in LL62.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:17 am
I had almost given up on this one, but looked at the photo one more time and realized it was Charlie. I couldn't have given you the exact quote, but I was pretty confident "boat" was in it. I've actually been rewatching Lost on Netflix, but I'm still on season one, so that didn't really help.

I overthought the "Poetry" one and put down "Poetry Review" but still pulled out a slim 5(4)-4(4) victory.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Count me among those who took a good 5 minutes squinting at the picture before seeing the context (the roundness of the porthole in the door and the color of the water) and immediately and excitedly shouting out "NOT PENNY'S BOAT"! before feeling sad for Charlie.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:45 am :? Confession: I don't know 1920s folk music. Doesn't matter that they were from Virginia; I've never heard of the Carters. That was a sit-and-stare.
I don’t know 1920s folk music either (who does?), but I do know June Carter’s family was country music royalty already when she married Johnny Cash, so I figured it was worth a guess.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:29 am
zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:45 am :? Confession: I don't know 1920s folk music. Doesn't matter that they were from Virginia; I've never heard of the Carters. That was a sit-and-stare.
I don’t know 1920s folk music either (who does?), but I do know June Carter’s family was country music royalty already when she married Johnny Cash, so I figured it was worth a guess.
This. Plus, I probably had some residual memory from my visit to the Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum in Nashville, and/or from watching Walk the Line, that helped me on this one. So I scooped up 3 points and won my match 6(4) - 2(3). It was also a good day for my much-maligned defense. The questions that I missed: I've never seen Lost, so I didn't even recognize the Lost question as being from that show. I see a palm of a hand facing me with words on it, and all I can think of is "talk to the hand" (which is 4 words, not 3, anyway). And I NHO Poetry magazine. On that one I was thinking more along the lines of something like "American Short Stories" (which is a name I made up, although there actually is a magazine called American Short Fiction), before guessing Harper's Bazaar with no confidence. Yes, I know it's a fashion magazine, but it's been around for a long time (since 1867, it turns out); and I figured that maybe it was like Cosmopolitan, which was a literary magazine before it transformed into a women's mag in the 1960s. And I reasoned, "Maybe the name came from the fact that it offered up a veritable bazaar of stories in each monthly issue."
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide