Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by SenseiCAY »

Back with the plebs in Rundle E this time after holding onto a spot in D for as long as I could. Last season was rough, but it's always fun!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:44 am
alietr wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:17 am
jfrumkin wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:06 am Apparently nobody watched Lost or at least remembers it. I gave it a 0 to two people (including private rundle) with high TV scores and both missed. 17% get rate on one of the most iconic moments of the show.
I watched every episode of Lost. I was a big fan. I discussed it endlessly. I had no idea what that picture was, let alone it being from Lost (kinda like watching Lost itself, now that I think about it). That's your 17% right there.
Ditto.

(and how does "Penny" get accepted? Were "no" and "boa" accepted as well, because they're just one letter off, too).
They were not, because my WAG of "no" was negged.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Learned League 75 - MD1

Post by Woof »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:29 am
zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:45 am :? Confession: I don't know 1920s folk music. Doesn't matter that they were from Virginia; I've never heard of the Carters. That was a sit-and-stare.
I don’t know 1920s folk music either (who does?), but I do know June Carter’s family was country music royalty already when she married Johnny Cash, so I figured it was worth a guess.
This. If it wasn't the Carter Family Singers, I had no guess at all.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Re: Learned League 75 - MD1

Post by zerobandwidth »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:29 am
zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:45 am :? Confession: I don't know 1920s folk music. Doesn't matter that they were from Virginia; I've never heard of the Carters. That was a sit-and-stare.
I don’t know 1920s folk music either (who does?), but I do know June Carter’s family was country music royalty already when she married Johnny Cash, so I figured it was worth a guess.
Oh those Carters. Well that makes a lot more sense now.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Yeah, I was going to just guess the Carters as an old-school country family until I recognized that the Maybelle in the question was Mother Maybelle Carter, so it went from a WAG to fairly certain.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:44 am
alietr wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:17 am
jfrumkin wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:06 am Apparently nobody watched Lost or at least remembers it. I gave it a 0 to two people (including private rundle) with high TV scores and both missed. 17% get rate on one of the most iconic moments of the show.
I watched every episode of Lost. I was a big fan. I discussed it endlessly. I had no idea what that picture was, let alone it being from Lost (kinda like watching Lost itself, now that I think about it). That's your 17% right there.
Ditto.

(and how does "Penny" get accepted? Were "no" and "boa" accepted as well, because they're just one letter off, too).
I took a flyer with "no".

No.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

acthomas wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:26 am Count me among those who took a good 5 minutes squinting at the picture before seeing the context (the roundness of the porthole in the door and the color of the water) and immediately and excitedly shouting out "NOT PENNY'S BOAT"! before feeling sad for Charlie.
I knew it immediately, yelled "Awww, 'Not Penny's Boat!'" then felt sad for Charlie. Man, I loved that show.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I start the season with a 3(2)-4(4) loss. At least I played perfect defense.

Oddly, we both made the same defensive assignments for all six questions. I couldn't tell you much about the Carter family or name any of their songs, but I did recognize the name Maybelle. So that gave me three with zero for Bloody Mary. I probably should have put more time into thinking about the poetry question. I have never seen a single episode of Lost.

He missed the Carters and poetry.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I still have never gotten 6 correct in a day, but Day 1 was my closest yet. I was able to get everything correct (Carter was a wild guess based off June Carter) except for Poetry. I made up a more specific magazine called Feminist Poetry :(
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I stepped into the winner's circle on MD2, with a 3(3)-1(1) win.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I was clobbered yesterday 7(5)-1(1). It would have made the score more respectable (7-4) if I would have put down "obtuse" for the angle, which was the first thing that popped into my head, but the way the question was phrased (using pi instead of degrees) made me think that was wrong. I should have guessed it anyway. I guess I was a little obtuse myself.

I also missed the geography question (among others). I was hoping for a TOM from Mull and put down "Kintyre". :lol:

I know that the questions are the same for everyone regardless of league level, but I certainly have come back down to earth just in time for my latest promotion to C League. I've only gotten four out of 12 questions right during the first two days. Fortunately, I eked out a one point victory on Monday but I have the worst ranking in my rundle for players that are 1-1.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread (MD2)

Post by zerobandwidth »

MD2 Beginner's luck continues! A 4(3)-2(2) win grabs a 2-0-0 record and 3rd place in the rundle.
  • :mrgreen: This was an insta-get just from the calendar clue. The canonical class to work with dates and times in the Java programming language is GregorianCalendar.
  • :mrgreen: Math terminology question? Yes, please.
  • :( Coin-flipped Terminator and Aliens, responded with Mother. Oh well.
  • :mrgreen: Yay, five years of Latin in school.
  • :?: Never heard of marginal utility, guessed brand loyalty instead. Seems like a YEKIOYD giveaway to economists, unless the German word gives a literal translation.
  • :( Normally decent on geography, totally blanked on this one, made up something wrong. This was a head-slapper once the answers were revealed.
The current rundle leader in R Summit div 2 won MD2 with a 9(6)-0(1) game. Holy crap. I'll be interested to see what our records look like when we face each other on MD11.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

georgespelvin wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:52 am
I know that the questions are the same for everyone regardless of league level, but I certainly have come back down to earth just in time for my latest promotion to C League. I've only gotten four out of 12 questions right during the first two days. Fortunately, I eked out a one point victory on Monday but I have the worst ranking in my rundle for players that are 1-1.
If it makes you feel any better, I only have four right and am 0-2 in D.

I might have gotten a tie yesterday with better defense. But I gave him zero on Gregory. With the calendar being the first thing listed, I thought that made it pretty obvious. I'm not a movie person and have never seen any of the Terminator movies. I guessed the flux capacitor, even though I was pretty certain that was wrong.

I did get sugar maple. It may have helped that the tree was on Jeopardy recently, but saccharum seemed close to saccharine so it seemed logical it would mean sugar.

I think I've heard of marginal utility, but it wasn't coming. Same for those islands.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Easier day for me yesterday, but I was a little worried about defense. I knew that it would be obvious to my opponent how to defend me, but I only knew what to assign to them for 0 and 3. Luckily I got a 4(4)-2(2) win.

I can never keep the Orkney, Shetland, and Hebrides straight, but the word "inner" made me know which one to pick.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I'd like to hope everyone remembered the sugar maple!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:23 am I'd like to hope everyone remembered the sugar maple!
That was the only one I wasn't sure of yesterday, but the recency helped me to a rare 9(6). Sadly, my opponent scored the same.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

A couple of seasons ago I had a 1.000 DE until MD 8 or 9 (or maybe even later, don't remember). This season, I've lost to a 9(5) and a 9(6). My DE is .000. Instead of the Sandra award, I'm aiming for the Blutarski.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:23 am I'd like to hope everyone remembered the sugar maple!
Doesn't have as nice a ring to it as "Remember the Maine!"
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:46 am [*] :( Coin-flipped Terminator and Aliens, responded with Mother. Oh well.
Wasn't that a life form rather than a machine, though?
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:17 am
zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:46 am [*] :( Coin-flipped Terminator and Aliens, responded with Mother. Oh well.
Wasn't that a life form rather than a machine, though?
Mother was the computer; the main xenomorph was the Queen.
And I couldn't remember the name of the android guy, or that would have been my guess instead. :lol: