Tuesday, November 14, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7632, 2017-11-14

2017 Tournament of Champions semifinal game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Lisa Schlitt, a microbiologist from Berwyn, Pennsylvania
Jason Sterlacci, a fourth grade teacher from Somerset, New Jersey
Buzzy Cohen, a music executive from Los Angeles, California

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome. Once again, I have to deal with Mr. Personality.

[Alex mimicks Buzzy’s head-propped-on-fist gesture from the opening introductions.]

Alex: Buzzy Cohen. I hope you folks were watching yesterday. We had one great game. Very competitive. Austin won it, of course, because he came up with the correct response in Final. We don’t know what's going to happen with Lisa, Jason and Buzzy, so let's start finding out. Good luck. Here we go. Categories, please.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
POETS & POETRY (3/5)
11-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
MEET YOUR AUTOMAKER (5/5)
SENATOR JOHN (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FASHION: 1900 TO 1950 (4/5)
"M" TV SHOWS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Buzzy: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Lisa: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Buzzy: $3,600
Jason: $3,000
Lisa: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Lisa Schlitt is a 6-time winner on Jeopardy! She’s from Berwyn, Pennsylvania. I understand you bought a new car with your winnings.

Lisa: Yeah.

Alex: And something else, older. What?

Lisa: A lot older. Well, I've been playing saxophone since I was really little, in fourth grade. And when we were looking at saxophones, like, to finally buy one, there were a whole bunch of beautiful antiques and silver ones. But I couldn't play them at the time with my small hands. But I vowed once I actually had money, I would try and get something--a really old saxophone. So I was actually able to find and get a 1929 Conn New Wonder Chu Berry.

Alex: And you’re good at it.

Lisa: Uh…

Alex: Say yes.

[Laughter]

Lisa: Not so much any more.

Alex: Oh, darn.

Alex: Jason Sterlacci, a fourth grade teacher from New Jersey.

Jason: Yep.

Alex: Teachers' Tournament winner. One of the problems when we have friends or family watching us, particularly if they're very young, they see you on television--

Jason: Yeah.

Alex: And they expect what?

Jason: Well, my son Jonas has this tendency. He was, I guess, two? Maybe he had just turned three. No, he was two when my episodes first aired. He's gotten into the habit of thinking that every single episode of Jeopardy!--

Alex: Showed Dad?

Jason: --should have me on it.

Alex: You have to win this game so you can get at least two more appearances on our show.

Jason: I suppose. That's the plan.

Alex: Don't let your son down.

[Laughter]

Alex: Buzzy Cohen is our champion from Los Angeles who watched a particular film in order to prepare for this tournament. What's that movie?

Buzzy: This tournament and my first run, I watched Creed once a week to mentally and emotionally prepare.

Alex: Tell me about Creed.

Buzzy: Creed is the new kind of reboot of the Rocky franchise with Michael B. Jordan, directed by Ryan Coogler.

Alex: Oh!

Buzzy: With Sylvester Stallone. They were all robbed at the Academy Awards.

[Laughter]

Buzzy: It's just—it's a great film. And like, you know, as everyone up here can say, this game is as much mental preparation as it is kind of ability to focus and kind of coach yourself. So there aren't Jeopardy! coaches, so Rocky Balboa was my Jeopardy!

Alex: All right. Well, you're from Los Angeles. Did you find a lot of stairs to run up?

Buzzy: You know, I actually did some physical training, and my trainer at the gym would quiz me questions while I was doing push-ups.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. Buzzy had $5,200, Jason had $4,800, and Lisa was at $1,000. Jason wagered $3,000.

SENATOR JOHN $400: This Vietnam vet was senator from Massachusetts from 1985 to 2013

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"M" TV SHOWS $1000: Dennis Weaver cowboyed up as a cop in New York City

POETS & POETRY $800: One of Australia's most beloved poems is Banjo Paterson's "The Man from" this river

FASHION: 1900 TO 1950 $1000: Get your knickers in a twist or really get 'em baggy like these numeric golfing pants of the '20s

POETS & POETRY $1000: This Matthew Arnold poem begins, "The sea is calm tonight. The tide is full, the moon lies fair"

SENATOR JOHN $200: Better-known name of longtime West Virginia senator John D. Rockefeller IV

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jason: $8,200
Buzzy: $5,400
Lisa: $1,200
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COLORFUL AMERICAN CITIES (4/5)
PRECIOUS TIME (4/5)
DOCUMENTARIES (5/5)
WIDOWS IN THE BIBLE (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ART (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HIDDEN FIGURES (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response contains a number spelled out in the response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Buzzy: 13 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Jason: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Lisa: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Buzzy snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Buzzy had $9,800, Jason had $11,400, and Lisa was at $400. Buzzy wagered $4,000.

ART $1200: Edgar Degas did many works using this medium whose name is also used for subdued shades of color

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Buzzy who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Buzzy had $17,800, Jason had $15,400, and Lisa was at $2,000. Buzzy wagered $2,000.

WIDOWS IN THE BIBLE $800: A book of the Bible is named for this widow of Mahlon & ancestor of David
(Buzzy: Who is... it's either [*] or Esther, so I'll say who is Esther?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COLORFUL AMERICAN CITIES $1600: Skiing & Glacier National Park may lure you to this Montana city named for an aquatic creature

WIDOWS IN THE BIBLE $1200: In 1 Kings 17:22 this happens to the son of the widow of Zarephath, thanks to the prophet Elijah

PRECIOUS TIME $2000: "You expired, Jesus, but the source of life gushed forth", begins a prayer to divine mercy named for this P.M. hour
(Lisa: What is vespers?)

HIDDEN FIGURES $1200: Pluperfect is one
(Buzzy: What is one?)

ART $2000: Edward Hicks' Quaker faith is evident in this painting, a favorite theme of his
(Buzzy: What is The Garden of Eden?)

WIDOWS IN THE BIBLE $1600: Paul's first epistle to this Greek city's church says widows may remarry

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Buzzy: $16,200
Jason: $15,800
Lisa: $2,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THEATRE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Buzzy: Wager $15,401 to cover Jason. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $11,401.
Jason: Your score is within 4/5ths of Buzzy's, so wager between $801 (venusian) and $11,799 (martian), beating Buzzy's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Lisa's part.
Lisa: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Jason, but if Jason decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $1,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Despite objections from the playwright's estate, a 1991 French production of this 1952 play had a small all-female cast instead of male

FINAL SCORES
Lisa: $2,000 - $2,000 = $0 (What is [illegible]) (3rd place: $10,000)
Jason: $15,800 - $15,799 = $1 (What is Peter Pan?) (2nd place: $10,000)
Buzzy: $16,200 + $15,401 = $31,601 (What is Waiting for Godot?) (Finalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Buzzy: $15,400, 22 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Jason: $13,200, 18 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Lisa: $2,000, 8 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $30,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Buzzy: 23/60 = .383
Jason: 18/59 = .305
Lisa: 8/58 = .138
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MEET YOUR AUTOMAKER $600: The Forester
(Jason: What is Jeep?)

MEET YOUR AUTOMAKER $1000: The S90 Sedan
(Lisa: Ah. Uh... what is also Mercedes?)

SENATOR JOHN $600: We trust that you recognize this trust-busting senator of the 1880s and 1890s

"M" TV SHOWS $600: On Discovery Channel, a "Bear" dropped in the middle of nowhere told you how he survived
(Alex: Bear Grylls.)

FASHION: 1900 TO 1950 $600: It's the rhyming '40s ensemble seen here

11-LETTER WORDS $200: Fear of water
(Buzzy: What is aquaphobia?)

COLORFUL AMERICAN CITIES $2000: Willa Cather drew her portraits of frontier life from her hometown, this Nebraska city named for an Oglala chief
(Lisa: What is Blackhawk?)

HIDDEN FIGURES $800: From the Italian for "middle", it's where one might go to watch a play upstairs
(Alex: Nine.)

HIDDEN FIGURES $2000: This word meaning "burdensome" starts with the first positive integer
(Alex: One.)

COLORFUL AMERICAN CITIES $800: The statue of Adolph Coors, seen here, is in this Colorado city
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
John Kerry
McCloud
Snowy River
plus fours
"Dover Beach"
Jay Rockefeller
pastel
Ruth
Whitefish
he is brought back to life
3 P.M.
a tense
The Peaceable Kingdom
Corinth
Waiting for Godot
Subaru
Volvo
(John) Sherman
Man vs. Wild
a zoot suit
hydrophobia
Red Cloud
a mezzanine
onerous
Golden
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THEATRE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Despite objections from the playwright’s estate, a 1991 French production of this 1952 play had a small all-female cast instead of male

Buzzy Cohen: 16200+15401=31601 (Finalist)
Jason Sterlacci: 15800-15799=1
Lisa Schlitt: 2000-2000=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Waiting for Godot (Jason – Peter Pan) (Lisa – [illegible])

Daily Doubles
Jason: 4800+3000
Buzzy: 9800+4000
Buzzy: 17800-2000

Coryats
Buzzy: 15400
Jason: 13200
Lisa: 2000

Combined: 30,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Buzzy: 5400
Jason: 8200
Lisa: 1200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This game should come with a warning for Brian Weikle: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=293

Thanks to watching the UTOC in its entirety twice I got that trash, plus the Australian river, and I’m old enough to have seen the Dennis Weaver show first run.

There was a DD remaining on the board and Jason had control. What did he pick? A $400 clue. Was Jason trying to purposely avoid the DD because he did not like WIDOWS IN THE BIBLE? Buzzy did find it and miss it although he left himself only a lead of $400 with two $400 clues remaining.

Jason and Buzzy split the last two clues to keep the difference at $400. All of it turned out not to matter because only Buzzy solved the FJ! clue.

If the FJ! clue is a double hit for the gentlemen then someone is left regretting their end play.

If the FJ! clue is a triple miss then two of the wagers might be slightly up for discussion.

The J! writers are gutsier than I am as I recall the last time the play was in the FJ! round: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4008 and I would not risk the same kind of error appearing with a spot in the finals on the line.

I’ll take over 33% in the weekly poll for the play as J! loves the work and somehow this particular clue’s wording must have done something to throw off J & L while for J! Boarders it will do better than one in three.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I got this FJ, after a brief moment of thought. Had to get Twelve Angry Men out of mind as not having a "small" cast.

It occurred to me later that The Odd Couple might be another choice, although that one has an authorized-by-the-playwright version for women. (Fun fact: In that one, they don't play poker, they play Trivial Pursuit.)

I seem to remember a story this year that some theatre was trying to do a sex or race or LGBT swapped version of some play (actually, it seems I don't remember at all!) and the estate of the author pulled support, since it would change the fundamental meaning of the show. That's actually fairly common.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Let's get the personal stuff out of the way first:
17 right, 2 wrong
Coryat 12200
missed final - never heard of it.

Ran the autos (helps to be a bit of a car guy!), and almost ran the Bible study (I was too slow on the 1600 question, but I'm sure I would have got it given a few extra seconds.) But I just watched 5 categories go by: Poetry and Art are hopeless for me at the moment. I never figured out Hidden Figures. I'll have to read through that one once the archivists have the game up. The Senators and Cities I might have come up with one or two each in a slower pace. A MUCH slower pace. Approaching glacial.

The game itself was great to watch. Quite a battle between Buzzy and Jason, proving that the teachers champion can hold their own in a ToC. One different category or a different topic for FJ! and Jason could have easily won.

I'm predicting the wagers in FJ! will be a discussion point for a while. So here's my take.

Starting with the base case, Buzzy needs to protect from a double up by Jason. So his initial wager thought would be 15,401.

Jason should know that if both he and Buzzy get it right, he shouldn't win. Buzzy should wager enough to cover the double. So his first cut at a wager would be 14,999, leaving him with a buck (or two) more than Buzzy if they are both wrong. If he's right and Buzzy is wrong, he'll also win.

With only a $400 difference between Buzzy and Jason, Lisa would know that they both need the courage to wager big. That leaves her an opening. She can't count on winning with a right answer. If she gets it right, it's likely that one of the other two will do so also. I think the logical wager for her is nothing. Buzzy and Jason need to wager big to win with a correct answer, but a wrong answer will leave them with less than Lisa's current score.

Adding in the FJ! topic, if either Jason or Buzzy are uncomfortable with it, they might want to wager to win on a triple stumper. That would argue for standing pat.

So I think logical wagers are as follows:
Buzzy: 15,401 or nothing
Jason: 15,000 or nothing
Lisa: nothing.

So I think only Buzzy made a logical wager. Jason may have wagered a little too much, although I can't entirely fault wagering everything in case Buzzy didn't risk enough and they both were right. I don't see any reason for Lisa to wager at all. Her only hope is for both opponents to wager their logically high amounts and miss, leaving them below her current score.

In the end, the wagers didn't matter as only one person got the right answer and won the game with their knowledge rather than their betting skills. That's a satisfying conclusion in my book.
--Peter
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:22 pm I got this FJ, after a brief moment of thought. Had to get Twelve Angry Men out of mind as not having a "small" cast.
My first thought was "Waiting for Godot," then I second-guessed myself with "12 Angry Men." Bzzt.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Regardless of what happens tomorrow, the show probably got what they wished for with a final matchup containing their two biggest media sensations. Anything to get people watching, I suppose.

Tough breaks for Jason, but luckily none of what he did ended up mattering considering he didn't get Final right and Buzzy did. I feel a lot better seeing that clue only go 1/3, as I didn't know it myself.

Buzzy has looked rather sharp in his first two games...

Bring on Semi #3!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

In case anyone is interested, Jason is commenting about the game on reddit. Here's the reddit thread
Spoiler
--Peter
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:22 pm I got this FJ, after a brief moment of thought. Had to get Twelve Angry Men out of mind as not having a "small" cast.
See, that’s what got TAM *in* my head and I was convinced it’s right - it even has the word “men” in the title, which would prompt outrage outchange at a gender-swap. (My wife tried to talk me out of it, saying the cast is much bigger than the twelve - she remembers the trial occurring in the play too, I just remember it as a “bottle play” if you will - taking place solely in the deliberation room with the twelve. That makes it a “small” cast.) I say my guess is better than the correct answer, if TAM also had a proposed gender-swap that year.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Golf

Post by Golf »

Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:55 pm I'm predicting the wagers in FJ! will be a discussion point for a while. So here's my take.

Starting with the base case, Buzzy needs to protect from a double up by Jason. So his initial wager thought would be 15,401.

Jason should know that if both he and Buzzy get it right, he shouldn't win. Buzzy should wager enough to cover the double. So his first cut at a wager would be 14,999, leaving him with a buck (or two) more than Buzzy if they are both wrong. If he's right and Buzzy is wrong, he'll also win.

With only a $400 difference between Buzzy and Jason, Lisa would know that they both need the courage to wager big. That leaves her an opening. She can't count on winning with a right answer. If she gets it right, it's likely that one of the other two will do so also. I think the logical wager for her is nothing. Buzzy and Jason need to wager big to win with a correct answer, but a wrong answer will leave them with less than Lisa's current score.

Adding in the FJ! topic, if either Jason or Buzzy are uncomfortable with it, they might want to wager to win on a triple stumper. That would argue for standing pat.

So I think logical wagers are as follows:
Buzzy: 15,401 or nothing
Jason: 15,000 or nothing
Lisa: nothing.

So I think only Buzzy made a logical wager. Jason may have wagered a little too much, although I can't entirely fault wagering everything in case Buzzy didn't risk enough and they both were right. I don't see any reason for Lisa to wager at all. Her only hope is for both opponents to wager their logically high amounts and miss, leaving them below her current score.

In the end, the wagers didn't matter as only one person got the right answer and won the game with their knowledge rather than their betting skills. That's a satisfying conclusion in my book.
This is a simple situation that most players screw the pooch on.

You are basically correct on Buzzy and Lisa, Buzzy could wager $399 to go second level thinking. Jason either wagers $401 to cover a 0 wager from Buzzy, or $11799 to protect against a double up from Lisa.

Trying to predict was irrational people will wager is a useless exercise. Don't complicate it.

And the last few clues in FJ was dreadful. Not taking the free DD when obvious and then Buzzy's wager. It was almost like none of the contestants wanted to advance.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

It's been one of those grisly matches where it could have almost had Lisa to a small benefit victory, much like Brian Weikle when he made it to the finals with $799. Her $2,000 could have held her own to a spot to win. This is what I thought of about both her's and Jason's wagers:

Buzzy was fortunate to get it right because had Jason not bet almost everything, he would have maybe lost with his $799. It wound up nearly a flip coin for Buzzy, considering that both Brian and Buzzy could have won with $799 heading into the finals. On one side, Buzzy's $31,601 was heads, and $799 was tails. Buzzy's luck just keeps on rolling.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I got John Sherman because I knew of the Sherman Antitrust Act. It came up when I was creating the Wikipedia article on a defunct drugstore in Michigan, of all things.

Recognized none of those cars, and only Green Bay in Colorful Cities.

Got Marcel Duchamp thanks to TV Tropes.

I actually rejected "driftwood" because I couldn't see a number in it. Derp. Once the category got going, I was able to get a hang of it.

Weltschmerz was probably my bet get of this tourney. Especially since it was my only get in the category.

Lach Trash: Corinth, Ruth

I had no idea where to start on this FJ!, but I at least recognize the answer.
hscer

Post by hscer »

yeah, definitely not the finest examples of DD hunting or FJ wagering in this one
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
Tencent
Contributor

Post by Tencent »

This games was probably one of the worst TOC games played. From DD hunting, to wagering there was a
lot not to like in this game. For two different players to screw up DD hunting, I think has to be a first.
I don't try to be mean at all, but have to call a spade a spade.
4 time pool swimmer
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: If the FJ! clue is a triple miss then two of the wagers might be slightly up for discussion.
I knew Lisa would not know enough to wager less than $1199. I seem to recall the same lack of wagering savvy in her original run.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I was 100% convinced 12 Angry Men was right. Oops.

Got Peaceable Kingdom and Dover Beach from the UToC.

There was a question on this week's University Challenge that asked who wrote "do I dare to eat a peach?" Glad to see the players here got it (it was a stumper on UC).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

No chance on FJ!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

never mind
Last edited by Ironhorse on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.