Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:25 pm Freaking Firefox...57.0 broke -EVERYTHING-
Luckily loading the 52 ESR package over the top restored mostly everything...still lost my history bar but I'll have to deal.

I want to keep my plugins you jerks!
I hate hearing that. 57 is supposed to have a much smaller memory footprint.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Woof wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:46 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:25 pm Freaking Firefox...57.0 broke -EVERYTHING-
Luckily loading the 52 ESR package over the top restored mostly everything...still lost my history bar but I'll have to deal.

XUL plugin support is completely gone, which killed my RSS feeder and NoScript. I imagine NoScript will adapt somehow and I'll find an RSS replacement if Bamboo doesn't, but it wasn't just that. Somehow my Bookmark -folders- were broken. This is why people hate upgrading!

https://seriouspony.com/blog/2013/7/24/ ... kes-me-fat
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:46 am XUL plugin support is completely gone, which killed my RSS feeder and NoScript. I imagine NoScript will adapt somehow and I'll find an RSS replacement if Bamboo doesn't, but it wasn't just that. Somehow my Bookmark -folders- were broken. This is why people hate upgrading!
Wow, I knew it was going to kill one extension I need (DownThemAll!) and possibly another that there are replacements for (Greasemonkey), but I didn't know it killed NoScript too. Glad I waited. I'd have switched to Chrome ages ago if I didn't regularly have 50+ tabs open and/or had a lot more RAM.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I hope so. I've been using Firefox forever, but I'm ready to ditch it since it seems to rapidly climb to using several gigs of RAM and consequently crawl on my computer lately. I've been thinking about switching over to Chrome.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:40 am

I hope so. I've been using Firefox forever, but I'm ready to ditch it since it seems to rapidly climb to using several gigs of RAM and consequently crawl on my computer lately. I've been thinking about switching over to Chrome.
My Firefox crashes at least once or twice an hour nowadays. And if it doesn't, it's because I've proactively shut it down and restarted it before it does crash. So I've become very unhappy with it. But I'm still reluctant to move to yet another Google product (not that they don't know everything about me at this point anyway).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:58 am

My Firefox crashes at least once or twice an hour nowadays. And if it doesn't, it's because I've proactively shut it down and restarted it before it does crash. So I've become very unhappy with it. But I'm still reluctant to move to yet another Google product (not that they don't know everything about me at this point anyway).
Resistance is futile!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:10 am
alietr wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:58 am

Resistance is futile!
So what happens? After I wrote that, I shut Firefox down before it crashed again. When I restarted it, it did the update to 57. Which made several extensions stop working. It then suggests similar extensions, but when I click on them, I get a blank page. So I went directly to Firefox's extensions page and ... it comes up blank. Grrrr! (It's finally working. Whew!)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Tried Firefox 57 for most of yesterday and all of today. Did not care for it. Used System Restore to roll myself back to 56. (Firefox, in typical arrogant software fashion, does not provide a rollback option because who would want to do that? Are you against progress or something?)

I might try again after they work the kinks out and get some more add-ons working. But honestly, it didn't LOOK like a step forward. The tab markers at the top of the screen in particular looked kind of junky and blockish.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:56 pm Tried Firefox 57 for most of yesterday and all of today. Did not care for it. Used System Restore to roll myself back to 56. (Firefox, in typical arrogant software fashion, does not provide a rollback option because who would want to do that? Are you against progress or something?)

I might try again after they work the kinks out and get some more add-ons working. But honestly, it didn't LOOK like a step forward. The tab markers at the top of the screen in particular looked kind of junky and blockish.
Well, 57 isn't crashing frequently, but it still hangs. And I only have 6 tabs open currently. I hated the way the tabs looked. The first thing I did was click Customize from the menu (or whatever they're calling those three bars), and at the bottom of the page change the theme to "Light".
Volante

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:56 pm Tried Firefox 57 for most of yesterday and all of today. Did not care for it. Used System Restore to roll myself back to 56. (Firefox, in typical arrogant software fashion, does not provide a rollback option because who would want to do that? Are you against progress or something?)

I found a decent enough RSS replacement, so I just need to wait for NoScript to work (*crosses fingers* Friday!) and I should be good to go. The theme is the least of my concern.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Here is a fun and painless way to learn things that might be useful for many quiz competitions. https://www.facebook.com/TEDEducation/
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Please pardon the 1980s-sitcom-style Very Special Episode of this thread.
In a strange coincidence with the ToC that would have seen Cindy Stowell competing, one of my better "imaginary Internet friends" from another forum lost his own battle with cancer this morning. It was his third, having beaten it into remission twice before. He brought joy and mirth to every conversation, and faced the certainty of his fate with grace, humor, and incredible bravery. When @OntarioQuizzer announced that he would be donating part of the sale of TJF merchandise to cancer research this month, I made sure to join in, not just for Cindy's memory, but also in my friend's honor. He got to spend Thanksgiving morning surrounded by his family.
Godspeed, JB. This one's for you. (I'm unfortunately all out of scotch at the moment.)
2017-11-12 14.56.18-smaller.jpg
2017-11-12 14.56.18-smaller.jpg (96.24 KiB) Viewed 5780 times
PS When I sent this picture to him, he laughed and recalled a night when he had called his mother to check up on her, and was "read the riot act" because he had interrupted Jeopardy!.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I am very sorry to hear of your loss.

Cancer sucks.
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

Sorry for your loss, Pasha, Bamaman is right - cancer sucks.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Hey, a boardie appearance! (scroll down a tad)

http://www.warpedspeed.com/g/man-wants- ... 9f881108d6
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nothing worthwhile enough for the Current Events thread: The draw for the World Cup is Friday, tomorrow at 10 in the morning ET.
Volante

Post by Volante »

NoScript works for Firefox now, so I've moved up/on. Does actually seem to run a bit faster, too, and I've never had reason to complain about before so that I've even noticed is impressive.

I'm watching Punisher on Netflix, and in one scene is a closeup of a guy securing a tie knot. A four-in-hand. Why is it always that ugly four-in-hand? Ties are irritating enough without that asymmetric eye injury. "Yes, you look great...well, except for that pug tongue out of your neck." Need to start a petition...Full Windsors or bust! If they're going to happen, at least make them look nice.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Help me out here. I thought there was a Seinfeld episode where Kramer had an idea for pre-toasted bread. It's already toasted, you keep it in your freezer, and when you want some, you just pull a slice out and pop it in the toaster. "It skips a step." I was so sure of this that I tried to find a YouTube of it to show my daughter. (She'd just passed on to me the lifehack of pre-boiling your water and keeping it in the fridge.)

YouTube didn't know what I was talking about. The INTERNET doesn't know what I'm talking about. My Seinfeld expert friend doesn't know what I'm talking about. He checked with his Seinfeld fanatic friend who also doesn't recognize the plot. So I've accepted that this didn't happen on the show. I don't think it's from the Modern Seinfeld Twitter thingy either. But I'm not yet accepting that I'm crazy or that I've (once again) fallen through a wormhole into a parallel universe. Any help here? Anyone recognize the above scenario as belonging to some other sitcom or a movie or a comic strip or... SOMETHING?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Pretty sure that episode aired right after the broadcast premiere of the Sinbad genie movie "Shazaam."
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

There's this ancient thing.