Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by rouquinne »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:26 am This whole test scores determine the group seems to make sense as it would explain why they bother to take the time to score the test during the in person audition while everyone is there. Up until now, I really wondered why they would do that since everyone at the in person audition played the mock game.
Oh.... duh......

Makes perfect sense when you put it that way!

:)
acestone
Contributor

Post by acestone »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:26 am This whole test scores determine the group seems to make sense as it would explain why they bother to take the time to score the test during the in person audition while everyone is there. Up until now, I really wondered why they would do that since everyone at the in person audition played the mock game.
That actually makes a ton of sense. Maybe sometimes they do the reverse which is why the person who thought they did poorly was in their first group? But ya, why on earth would they bother spending the time grading the scores first if it has no impact on the next step.

All that said, the impact of the test scores seems highly debatable based on what others have said so as long as you think you at least passed you shouldn't worry!
acestone
Contributor

Post by acestone »

rouquinne wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 pm So based on the conversation between acestone, Storyteller and InigoMontoya, I'd like to think I have a good chance at making it on to the show, but I don't think I did all that well on the written test at the audition today.

And I was called up as part of the first group today, just as I was at my first audition!

:lol:

The only person from my first audition group that made it on to the show was called in the second last group, and he played for the Hamilton Tiger Cats, which happens to be Alex's favourite CFL team.

Speaking of Alex..... yeah, he made a surprize appearance today and I got to shake hands with him and I still haven't come down from the high!

I will be blogging my experience at this audition just as I did my first - but it's going to have to wait for tomorrow - I'm zonked!

Anyway, I hear tell that some other lurking boardies were at my audition today - so y'all consider yourselves *hugged* and it was a delight to spend my afternoon with you!
That's awesome you guys met Alex. They hinted he'd be coming in later and that we just missed him in the early audition. I suspect he'll be there too for today's audition!

Just one of the perks of living in the worlds greatest country ;)
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

To throw a wrench in the "test scores determine groupings" theory:

At the audition that got me on the show, our groups went up in alphabetical order by first name. I was in the last group. As of now, I know of only 1 other person in my group that made it to the show besides myself. This was in June 2016.
acestone
Contributor

Post by acestone »

badgerfellow wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:27 am To throw a wrench in the "test scores determine groupings" theory:

At the audition that got me on the show, our groups went up in alphabetical order by first name. I was in the last group. As of now, I know of only 1 other person in my group that made it to the show besides myself. This was in June 2016.
Sounds like it varies audition by audition. keepihg in mind the coordinators do hundreds of these a year, I wouldn't be surprised if they come up with new and interesting ways to entertain themselves with the groupings and elsewhere in the audition process.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Should have stuck around for the later session then, darn! That's really cool you all met Alex!

I was lucky enough to play twice in the mock game in the early audition: once when they called me initially, and then again when the final group was a group of two.
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

So now I'm vacillating on the "scoring" thing...

(Like we don't all second-guess ourselves a million times a day going through this process!)

They are obviously scoring our written questions and comparing them to our scores in the on-line test, but I think the the rest is just taking time reading our applications and circling things on them that they'd like to ask us during our interview more than ranking us.

Sorry that those of you in yesterday morning's session missed Alex - he's really kind and charming. And deadpan funny!

When he walked in, I turned around and went "Oh my god", and he winked at me and said "Not quite."

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

acestone wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:59 pm Anyone else notice that they seemed to group the buzzer round based on test scores from high to low? The question is does it even matter? So hard to read who they liked and who they didn't!
It makes sense to call people up in evenly matched groups, but at my audition I was never aware of other people's test scores, or even my own. How did you guys come up with this theory? Is it based on what you observed during the mock game, or were participants openly discussing scores? Just curious.
toganet
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by toganet »

rouquinne wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:00 pm
toganet wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:58 pm
rouquinne wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:37 pm
NoWhammies10 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:20 pm TORONTO!

Check your emails. Just got an invite to an audition on November 14th. I am OVER THE MOON!
2:00? If so, see you there! :D
I'll be there! Just joined these forums and trying to absorb as much second-hand luck as I can in the meantime.
Lovely to meet you today, Garret, sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye but I understand your desire to avoid Toronto's crazy rush hour traffic while I stayed and chatted until Maggie tossed me out!

Thanks, it was great to meet you, too. I will say I think your presence there as a "veteran" helped newbies like me be more comfortable with the overall process. Though all told it was much more fun than I expected, and Maggie and team did an excellent job of bringing out the best in us. At least I hope so ;)
acestone
Contributor

Post by acestone »

squarekara wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:05 am
acestone wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:59 pm Anyone else notice that they seemed to group the buzzer round based on test scores from high to low? The question is does it even matter? So hard to read who they liked and who they didn't!
It makes sense to call people up in evenly matched groups, but at my audition I was never aware of other people's test scores, or even my own. How did you guys come up with this theory? Is it based on what you observed during the mock game, or were participants openly discussing scores? Just curious.
Observational talking to the people around me after the test. I knew I did very well (like 47/50). The guy beside me sounded like he did almost the same. The guy behind me said he thought he did quite poorly. Low and behold, I was in the first group with the guy beside me. The guy who thought he did poorly was the very last person called up in the very last group.
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

toganet wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:17 am
Lovely to meet you today, Garret, sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye but I understand your desire to avoid Toronto's crazy rush hour traffic while I stayed and chatted until Maggie tossed me out!

Thanks, it was great to meet you, too. I will say I think your presence there as a "veteran" helped newbies like me be more comfortable with the overall process. Though all told it was much more fun than I expected, and Maggie and team did an excellent job of bringing out the best in us. At least I hope so ;)
Oh, it's okay... you can tell all the lovely boardies that I'm a loud mouth who talks to everyone. I couldn't resist doing the vampire riff when my Polaroid took forever to develop after I'd been dealing with an angioedema attack for the past 10 days.

acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by acthomas »

rouquinne wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:36 am
toganet wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:17 am

Oh, it's okay... you can tell all the lovely boardies that I'm a loud mouth who talks to everyone. I couldn't resist doing the vampire riff when my Polaroid took forever to develop after I'd been dealing with an angioedema attack for the past 10 days.

So at my last audition, My Polaroid was being taken right as the other coordinator called my name ... so I looked up and away a little bit while speaking.

Artist's rendition of how I came out looking:
Spoiler
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

rouquinne wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:04 amWhen he walked in, I turned around and went "Oh my god", and he winked at me and said "Not quite."

haha, that's awesome!!
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

Ooooh, acthomas, that's fabulous! :D

For some reason, I've looked okay in my J photos - and I think I photograph badly!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

acestone wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:30 am
Observational talking to the people around me after the test. I knew I did very well (like 47/50). The guy beside me sounded like he did almost the same. The guy behind me said he thought he did quite poorly. Low and behold, I was in the first group with the guy beside me. The guy who thought he did poorly was the very last person called up in the very last group.
One thing we haven't thought about:

We know TV lies to us all the time, maybe they aren't scoring the tests at all, but they are scoring "us"; they can always score the tests later to look and see if someone figured out how to cheat on the online test.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
LaKingsFan98
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by LaKingsFan98 »

Anyone here interview for college yet? Just had mine in LA a couple weeks ago.
acestone
Contributor

Post by acestone »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:04 pm
acestone wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:30 am

We know TV lies to us all the time, maybe they aren't scoring the tests at all, but they are scoring "us"; they can always score the tests later to look and see if someone figured out how to cheat on the online test.
I guess they could have the room bugged and listen to our conversations and see what they can learn from that but that's getting into conspiracy theory they faked the moon landing level stuff :p
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:04 pm

But at that point in the proceedings, they haven't talked to us much, so how can they really score the potential contestants?

I think they're simply reading through our applications, searching for red flags (assuming, of course, we all truthfully answered that question about felonies), and highlights in our anecdotes.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

I was nervous about the test for nothing, then. Good to know!
acestone
Contributor

Post by acestone »

Realistically, nobody knows the truth unless they've actually worked for the show. I'm amazed at how well they've kept it all so secret over the years, cuz the one common theme is that none of us actually knows anything for certain. Doesn't make speculating any less fun though!