Wednesday, November 15, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7633, 2017-11-15

2017 Tournament of Champions semifinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Tim Aten, an editor from Vermilion, Ohio
Pranjal Vachaspati, a Ph.D. student from Urbana, Illinois
Alan Lin, a software engineer from Riverside, California

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Two finalists are waiting in the wings right now for tomorrow's final match. Austin and Buzzy, whose first name happens to be Austin also. Who of these three gets to join them? Will it be Alan, Pranjal, or Tim? Good luck, fellas. Let's start finding out, shall we? Here come the categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
STEPPENWOLF THEATRE ALUMNI (3/4)
A TRIANGLE SCHEME (5/5)
STATE SYMBOLS (3/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GIRAFFES (4/5)
PRESIDENTIAL NICKNAMES (3/5)
FROM A TO Y (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alan: 6 R, 0 W
Pranjal: 10 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Tim: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Pranjal found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Alan had no money, Pranjal had $200, and Tim had nothing in the bank. Pranjal wagered $1,000.

STATE SYMBOLS $800: Created at its Toll House Restaurant, the chocolate chip cookie is this state's official state cookie
(Pranjal: What is Delaware?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Alan: $2,000
Pranjal: $1,400
Tim: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Tim Aten is from Vermilion, Ohio. Tim, I'm sure you noticed yesterday and the day before that some of the champions missed real easy clues. Or what we thought--you would have thought was an easy clue. You've given a lot of thought to that.

Tim: Yeah. Like when I was watching at home before I was actually on the show, and the contestant would miss an easy question, I'd be like, "Wow, how could they not get that? It's so stupid." But once you're actually involved in the process you understand the logistics, that you have to know--you have to be able to access every single fact you know within 5 seconds, and it's like--some of it might take 6 seconds.

[Laughter]

Alex: Good way to look at it.

Alex: Pranjal Vachaspati. We love our pets. We adopt dogs from the city pound. But you experienced the reverse. A cat adopted you. I wanna hear about it.

Pranjal: Yeah, so I was doing some work on my car. I was in my driveway, you know, car on jack stands for longer than I'm proud of. And one day, this cat came up to me. And you know, I pet it. I have a sort of animal magnetism, so cats, like, animals like me. And then, you know, the next day I was out working on my car again, and the cat comes back. So I'm like, "Oh, great. I have a cat friend. Maybe it has a home somewhere." But then it got to the point where, you know, I got home, and it was waiting for me in my driveway.

Alex: And were you feeding it?

Pranjal: No. Like I said, animal magnetism. And then eventually, it just, you know, started--eventually I started feeding it, of course, but it's a very large cat. It weighs 18 pounds. She weighs 18 pounds. I call her The New York Times, 'cause she's a gray lady, and I found her in my driveway.

[Laughter]

Pranjal: But I'll tell ya, Alex. It's a good thing I won Jeopardy! because prescription cat food is not cheap.

Alex: I know. I know, believe me.

Alex: Alan Lin is a software engineer from here in southern California. And as a result of your winning on our show, you're gonna go into a master's program, is that right?

Alan: Yeah, that's right. The first time I came here, I told you I enjoyed writing science fiction short stories. So because of the financial security that Jeopardy! got me, I am going into graduate school in creative writing, yeah.

Alex: Good for you. All right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PRESIDENTIAL NICKNAMES $400: "Dutch"
(Pranjal: Who is Van Buren?)

FROM A TO Y $1000: A women's group working with a men's club or fraternal order is a "ladies" one
(Tim: What is assembly?)

FROM A TO Y $400: All of a sudden
(Pranjal: What is alarmingly?)

GIRAFFES $800: If a human baby has done this, he's positioned for birth; if a giraffe baby has done it, 6' to the ground, he's been born

STEPPENWOLF THEATRE ALUMNI $1000: On film this alumna has hunted Jason Bourne & played the pious Elizabeth Proctor in "The Crucible"

PRESIDENTIAL NICKNAMES $1000: "The Hermit Author of Palo Alto"
(Tim: Who is Nixon?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alan: $3,400
Pranjal: $3,000
Tim: $1,200
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BALTIC BELIEFS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THEIR MAIN MUSICAL INSTRUMENT (4/5)
COMPOUND WORDS (5/5)
BOOK SMARTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORKING WOMEN (5/5)
RECENT TV EPISODES (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alan: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Pranjal: 9 R, 3 W
Tim: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alan snagged the next Daily Double on the 20th clue. Alan had $15,400, Pranjal had $10,600, and Tim was at $2,000. Alan wagered $5,000.

BOOK SMARTS $2000: This Thomas Keneally bestseller was originally published with "Ark" as the 2nd word in the title

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Alan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Alan had $21,200, Pranjal had $12,600, and Tim was at $2,000. Alan wagered $4,000.

BALTIC BELIEFS $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from Bornholm Island in Denmark.) Of the few round churches in northern Europe, four are here, on Denmark's island of Bornholm, leading some to theorize a visit from this religious order of knights, whose churches were all round
(Alan: What are the Teutonic knights?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THEIR MAIN MUSICAL INSTRUMENT $1200: Pat Metheny
(Pranjal: What's the banjo?)

RECENT TV EPISODES $1600: "The Race of His Life" & "Attack on Central City"

RECENT TV EPISODES $800: "Better Call Saul" & "Our Man in Damascus"
(Pranjal: What is Breaking Bad?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Alan: $18,000
Pranjal: $12,200
Tim: $3,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC NAMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Alan: Wager $6,401 to cover Pranjal, but no more than $11,599 so as not to fall behind Tim's doubled score.
Pranjal: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $600 (martian), and you'll win the game if Alan wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Tim: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2013 the village of Belrain renamed the last street in France that bore the name of this hero who became a traitor

FINAL SCORES
Tim: $3,200 - $13 = $3,187 (Who was just too old and slow?) (3rd place: $10,000)
Pranjal: $12,200 + $0 = $12,200 (Who is Petain) (2nd place: $10,000)
Alan: $18,000 + $6,401 = $24,401 (Who is Petain) (Finalist)
(Alex: [To Tim] Yeah, against the two younger buzzsaws here, I know exactly how you feel.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Alan: $19,000, 19 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Pranjal: $13,200, 19 R, 7 W (including 1 DD)
Tim: $3,200, 9 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $35,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Pranjal: 20/59 = .339
Alan: 20/60 = .333
Tim: 9/58 = .155
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
A TRIANGLE SCHEME $600: The reciprocal of cosine, it's the ratio of line AC to line AB in the triangle here

PRESIDENTIAL NICKNAMES $800: "Father of the Bill of Rights"
(Pranjal: Who is Jefferson?)

FROM A TO Y $200: In Britain it's one of the 5 main grounds for divorce
(Pranjal: I don't know what it says that I know that one.)

STATE SYMBOLS $1000: The Catahoula Leopard dog, bred to find livestock in swamps, is its state dog

GIRAFFES $1000: Giraffe subspecies are classified by coat pattern; the one here shares this name with a type of python

STEPPENWOLF THEATRE ALUMNI $800: Actor-writer Tracy Letts first mounted this "August" play at Steppenwolf & won a Tony & Pulitzer for it
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

A TRIANGLE SCHEME $200: After 1918, no one had an eye on the USS Cyclops, one of the first U.S. ships recorded missing in this mysterious region
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

BALTIC BELIEFS $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from the Gotland Museum in Sweden.) Hundreds of these picture stones, dating as far back as the 5th century, have been found on Gotland; the Tjangvide stone seems to show a ship bearing a warrior's body to this dwelling place of the god Odin
(Alan: What is Asgard?)
(Alex: More specific.)

BALTIC BELIEFS $1600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from the Church on the Spilled Blood in St. Petersburg, Russia.) Originally, no traditional church services were performed at St. Petersburg's Church on the Spilled Blood, but these religious memorial masses conducted for the assassinated Tsar Alexander II attracted large numbers of worshippers

WORKING WOMEN $1600: When she quietly refused to give up her bus seat, Rosa Parks was on her way home from her job as one of these
(Pranjal: What's a washerwoman? A janitor?)

WORKING WOMEN $2000: In 2017, this wife of Mitch McConnell became Secretary of Transportation

BALTIC BELIEFS $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from the Gannarve Ship Grave on Gotland Island in Sweden.) At Gannarve, here on Gotland, and elsewhere in Scandinavia, it's thought that ancient seafarers were buried in ship-shaped stone settings, to ensure a safe voyage to the next world; recovered tools & urns date the graves to this first metallic age

RECENT TV EPISODES $400: "Bob & Carol & Nick & Schmidt" & "Jeff Day"
(Alex: Less than a minute.)

BALTIC BELIEFS $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from the Estonian Open Air Museum in Tallinn, Estonia.) This movement from Germany reached Estonia in the 1520s and made Lutheranism the dominant religion here and in most of Scandinavia

CORRECT RESPONSES
Massachusetts
Ronald Reagan
auxiliary
abruptly
dropped
Joan Allen
Herbert Hoover
Schindler's List
the Templars
guitar
The Flash
Homeland
Maréchal Philippe Petain
secant
Madison
adultery
Louisiana
reticulated
August: Osage County
the Bermuda Triangle
Valhalla
a requiem
a seamstress
(Elaine) Chao
the Bronze Age
New Girl
the Protestant Reformation
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2013 the village of Belrain renamed the last street in France that bore the name of this hero who became a traitor

Alan Lin: 18000+6401=24401 (Finalist)
Pranjal Vachaspati: 12200+0=12200
Tim Aten: 3200-13=3187

Correct response:
Spoiler
Petain (Tim – Who was just too old and slow?)

Daily Doubles
Pranjal: 200-1000
Alan: 15400+5000
Alan: 21200-4000

Coryats
Alan: 19000
Pranjal: 13200
Tim: 3200

Combined: 35,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Alan: 3400
Pranjal: 3000
Tim: 1200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The game did not get off to a good start.
PRESIDENTIAL NICKNAMES $400: Dutch

Pranjal: Who is Van Buren? [crickets chirping] Really guys? Are you kidding me?

A little long, but well done by Pranjal to get studio-wide laughter with his cat story.

RECENT TV EPISODES $800: “Better Call Saul” & “Our Man in Damascus”

I’ll be the first to post that I got caught. It’s not quite a trap or negbait with the last word there to prevent the neg, but in the second box I proved how easy it is to go for something without having the time to take in the clue in its entirety since there is not much there to give extra thinking time while Alex reads.

[Ah, what a beautiful sentence. :) – I’ll leave it as is.]

Yesterday’s game with Lisa and today’s with Tim offered two different ways to exit the show.

The FJ! clue was a complete failure for me as somehow in 30 seconds I was unable to even think of the guy as a good guess. “France hero traitor” should have been enough as it’s not as if he’s a rare J! name. I’ve seen him in many clues and have had more than one correct for him over the years.

Today I went through all of think time without ever thinking of him while facing distractors such as Benedict Arnold and John Andre. I’d swat them away and then I was blank again at a bare chalkboard. Lafayette. Go away!

Nothing worked and I wrote Quisling to avoid a blank page. Zut alors. There went my chance for perfect semis.

Alan was the best of the three players. I wish there was a shot of Austin in the audience when Alan made it. Austin has not played from the 3 spot since his regular play debut while Alan played from position 2 in the QF round. Buzzy should be quite comfortable at the champ’s spot.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:49 pm The FJ! clue was a complete failure for me as somehow in 30 seconds I was unable to even think of the guy as a good guess. “France hero traitor” should have been enough as it’s not as if he’s a rare J! name. I’ve seen him in many clues and have had more than one correct for him over the years.
"France traitor" was as far as I got in 30 seconds, too. Then, about 10 seconds later, I remembered this, from a game I archived last year:
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:19 pm And finally, the Final Jeopardy clue is a Thing Worth Knowing:
In 1945 this Frenchman told his countrymen, "If I treated with the enemy, it was to spare you"
Spoiler
Philippe Pétain
Most recent appearance was this year's Teacher's Tournament finals. Eventual winner Jason correctly identified him.
At least I can take comfort that it was indeed, a Thing Worth Knowing, even if I didn't bother to know it. Even after I remembered this earlier clue existed, I still didn't know the name.

Interesting they'd pick a name for FJ that they could be pretty certain at least one of the ToC players would know. I guess they don't check for that. I actually think that's the right call (not checking), although if the cards had fallen a different way, I might anticipate maybe hearing some grumbling.
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Congrats to Tim for going out in good humor. Congrats to Pranjal for making the right wager. Congrats to Alan for continuing to impress. Wow. My money's still on Buzzy, but a win by Alan won't surprise me. When Austin's the underdog, you know you've got a great show coming up.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I also bit on "Dutch" = "Van Buren". That was horrible negbait.

Catahoula = Louisiana I knew because of "Catahoula" by the Bellamy Brothers.

"Triangle Shirtwaist" definitely passes my "Hawley-Smoot" filter.

"Ossicones" I learned from being a furry.

I've actually seen "Office Space", but the gruff voice Alex used threw me miles off course. It sounded more like Brando.

Yes, I got Bela Fleck = banjo.

I have never seen "Breadcrumbs" written as one word before.

"Stranger Things" was the only show I recognized in that TV category.

Lach Trash: Toll House = MA

Absolute NHOI on the FJ! response.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

On the final DD the scores were

Alan 21200
Pranjal 12600
Tim 2000

With 3200 left afterwards Pranjal can max out at 15800. Therefore Alan should either wager 5 or 5399 dependent on category comfort. His 4000 wager wasn't too far off, but that 1399 can easily turn a possible loss into a lock game. Just one of those quick calculations that nobody takes the time to work out.

Nice to see good wagering in FJ. Looking forward to the finals.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

As many times as I've foolishly interpreted "Dutch" too literally and blurted out Van Buren, it was nice to get it right, and to see that even TOC players make the same mistake.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:49 pm RECENT TV EPISODES $800: “Better Call Saul” & “Our Man in Damascus”

I’ll be the first to post that I got caught. It’s not quite a trap or negbait with the last word there to prevent the neg, but in the second box I proved how easy it is to go for something without having the time to take in the clue in its entirety since there is not much there to give extra thinking time while Alex reads.
I just barely resisted the Breaking Bad urge and stayed clam. Also I stopped watching Homeland ages ago so that wasn't ringing any bells.

Instaget FJ.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Golf wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 pm Just one of those quick calculations that nobody takes the time to work out.
I await watching you in a ToC semifinal.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

30 right.

Theatre (1), Triangle (3), State (2), Giraffes (1), President (5), A to Y (3)
Baltic (3), Instrument (1), Compound (3), Books (4), Women (4), TV (0)

Lach Trash: Ronald Reagan, Herbert Hoover; Daily Double: Massachusetts

When I saw "hero" and "traitor", my immediate thought was Benedict Arnold, but the "France" quickly lead me to Petain.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I overthought FJ, and went with Laval instead of Petain. :(
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Bit on John Andre here. Didn't think it was right but I'm not too familiar with Petain - I remember watching that teachers tourney game mentioned upthread with the Petain clue, but that just never stuck I guess. Good play all around this evening.

First ToC in show history with finalists from three different seasons, no? (Buzzy S32, Alan S33, Austin S34)...

I feel as if the J! universe is going to explode with two of the most marketable/social media friendly contestants of all-time taking the same stage tomorrow.. can't wait! Despite that, I'll bet my imaginary money on Alan as our grand champion come Friday. He's just played so well thus far..
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

threearruda wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:09 pm First ToC in show history with finalists from three different seasons, no? (Buzzy S32, Alan S33, Austin S34)...
This is a great observation.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $23,000
35 R/4 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: :(
LT: Ronald Reagan, Massachusetts (DD), auxiliary, abruptly, dropped, Herbert Hoover

Alan's range of knowledge continues to impress. I would probably favor Buzzy in a regular game, but given TOC difficulty, I have to give Alan the edge.

On FJ!, I got as far as "Who was the head of the Vichy government?" Pétain didn't sound familiar at all upon reveal. I'd say NHO, but that's obviously not true.
Sprinkles are for winners.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

This was a nightmare board. I'd managed at least $20,000 in every game in the TOC... until this one. I achieved personal worsts in Coryat score and negs, not just in this tournament, but in any game. There were four categories where I knew absolutely nothing. But I did correctly guess on FJ.
I think it's remarkable that so far, everyone in the tournament has finished on the plus side. We've seen people desperately try to get back in their games from a distant third to no avail,
Spoiler
especially yesterday
but nobody's crashed and burned. The two-day Final is going to be epic.
Hoping for a third lap
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Golf wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 pm Just one of those quick calculations that nobody takes the time to work out.
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:57 pm I await watching you in a ToC semifinal.
Cool. I'll be the one playing optimally leading to a lock game. 8-) :lol:
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Frantic pace and lots of negs.
I also bit on Dutch and breaking bad.

Alan looks like the guy to beat. Let's see how the DDs play out.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:49 pm RECENT TV EPISODES $800: “Better Call Saul” & “Our Man in Damascus”

I bit too, but I can admit it was a really bad guess - the last episode of Breaking Bad was four years ago, so it's a stretch to call any episode of it "recent."

Austin and Alan have some unfinished business, it'll be exciting to see how that goes down. What are those hand motions that Alan does when he's calculating. They look almost like sign language.

I was surprised to see such a generous TOM for "Louisiana" at the bottom row (farms and swamps narrowed it down to one for me). Lach trash: Abruptly
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing