Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread (MD2)

Post by hbomb1947 »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:23 am I'd like to hope everyone remembered the sugar maple!
I might well not have gotten it if not for the timing. I was surprised that Thorsten classified it as as a science question rather than a language one, as it was the saccharum that led me to "sugar."
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:18 am And I couldn't remember the name of the android guy, or that would have been my guess instead. :lol:
Ash
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 75 - MD1

Post by Blue Lion »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:57 am Plus, I probably had some residual memory from my visit to the Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum in Nashville, and/or from watching Walk the Line, that helped me on this one.
A few years ago, the Henry Ford Museum hosted an exhibition of "Women Who Rock" artifacts from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They included Mother Maybelle Carter's guitar, dress, and bowling shirt.

Oh, yes. The exhibition also included Lady Gaga's infamous meat dress.
Last edited by Blue Lion on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

econgator wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:50 am
zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:18 am And I couldn't remember the name of the android guy, or that would have been my guess instead. :lol:
Ash
Oh great, now the next time I'm asked to name the actor who played him, I'm going to be at risk of blurting out Bruce Campbell. :lol:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
sims
Valued Contributor

Post by sims »

zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:46 am
[*] :?: Never heard of marginal utility, guessed brand loyalty instead. Seems like a YEKIOYD giveaway to economists, unless the German word gives a literal translation.
It doesn't really. I know nothing about economics and went with the translation "border use." Which I mean maybe if I knew marginal utility was a concept I could have made the leap, but I think without knowing the concept existed, I couldn't have gotten it.

And I guessed Sweet Gum for Sugar Maple.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

sims wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:31 pm And I guessed Sweet Gum for Sugar Maple.
That was a weighted coin-flip in my head, but I remembered that a nearby park has plaques next to various trees, showing their species, and saw a reasonably-confident dotted line between acer and maple, and gum was something else I didn't remember.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:14 pm
sims wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:31 pm And I guessed Sweet Gum for Sugar Maple.
That was a weighted coin-flip in my head, but I remembered that a nearby park has plaques next to various trees, showing their species, and saw a reasonably-confident dotted line between acer and maple, and gum was something else I didn't remember.
Those are liquidambar. Of course eucalyptus trees are also referred to as "gums" but they are totally different than sweetgums. Interestingly, sweetgums are often mistaken for maples because their leaves are similarly shaped.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:46 am [*] :?: Never heard of marginal utility, guessed brand loyalty instead. Seems like a YEKIOYD giveaway to economists, unless the German word gives a literal translation.
I stupidly guessed marginal utility for price elasticity last season, so no way was I missing it this time.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jfrumkin wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:02 pm
zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:46 am [*] :?: Never heard of marginal utility, guessed brand loyalty instead. Seems like a YEKIOYD giveaway to economists, unless the German word gives a literal translation.
I stupidly guessed marginal utility for price elasticity last season, so no way was I missing it this time.
My BWA attempt of 'dopamine hit' on that one went unloved it seems.

In fact, there haven't been any yet... Did I miss a memo?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:51 pm
jfrumkin wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:02 pm
My BWA attempt of 'dopamine hit' on that one went unloved it seems.

In fact, there haven't been any yet... Did I miss a memo?
Apparently so. The Commish has mentioned that as the number of players has increased, and the checking of answers has been more automated, he has less time to look for BWAs. The number of them has dropped quite a bit compared to a couple of years ago.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread (MD3)

Post by zerobandwidth »

MD3 Well this is beyond all expectations. The streak continues, with a 3(2)-0(0) shocker, remaining only one of three to keep the 3-0-0 streak alive, and climb to 2nd in R Summit Div 2. Holy crap.
  • :( This was a major facepalm moment, as I play… a lot of cards. I've never heard of the dead hand being called a kitty before, so that threw me off. Oh well.
  • :mrgreen: Read the clue carefully, figured out it was describing the Doppler effect, bang, Doppler, final answer.
  • :( I had to look this show up on IMDB because I had never heard of it. It sounds bizarre. I'll have to find it. Ignoring the episode titles, I zeroed in on the Randy Newman-composed theme song, and guessed Monk.
  • :( First woman to hold federal office? That's one of those things you're just supposed to know, right? Welp.
  • :( Don't know the name, clue had no TOM. Whoosh, straight over the head at 30,000 feet.
  • :mrgreen: I don't know much about horses or Spanish, but what little I do know just happened to intersect this question.
The correct% for this MD is quite depressed (31% 62% 22% 23% 26% 45%). There were several 0(0) and 0(1) scores among us rookies, with the highest score being a lonely 6(4). This was a hard day.

MarkBarrett

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by MarkBarrett »

That Jeannette Rankin question drove me nuts. I knew I "knew" the name and could not recall it. No way was I submitting my answers without "getting" that one. I went from Margaret Chase Smith to Margaret Bourke-White. I went through each letter of the alphabet more than once looking for inspiration.

Under J the name Jenkins came to me and I could sense I was close. From there I finally recalled the name after more than 30 minutes (an eternity for me when playing LL) and then I had the surname problem. Rankin or Rankins? I went back and forth trying to remember. For one side of the coin I had J! champ Michael Rankins and the other side was Christmas specials guy Rankin of Rankin/Bass.

I went the wrong way and just found out I got credit for the misspelling in a losing cause of 8(5)-4(4), so generous for my stat sheet without costing my opponent the match.

I have not looked at the new set of questions, so no spoiler here that I know of. While working on Rankin's name I tried another method of getting there in recalling other famous women politicians from Ann Richards to Carol Mosley Braun. In doing that I came across another blank when I could not remember the name of the famous Wyoming woman governor, Nellie Tayloe Ross which I had to Google after I submitted my entry.

0-2-1 being sent back up to Prairie B this season. I may be on my way right back to C the way it's going as yesterday I had a 5 right and all it got me was a 6(5)-6(5) tie.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

On MD3, I lost a 0(1)-1(1) thriller, to fall to 15th place in the rundle, just one spot out of the relegation zone. I got Cop Rock, but my opponent correctly awarded me zero points for it, with TV being my strongest category by far. My opponent's only correct answer was Christian Doppler...and I should have gotten that one correct, given my former career as a meteorologist. Oh well...on to MD4.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

I'm surprised the Jeanette Rankin question polled so low.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

cf1140 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:28 am I'm surprised the Jeanette Rankin question polled so low.
It is now over 10% non-americans in LL, where it must be a vanishingly small number who got it. I lived in the us for 7 years, and have been playing us-centric trivia for decades, and had no hope on that one.
sims
Valued Contributor

Post by sims »

cf1140 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:28 am I'm surprised the Jeanette Rankin question polled so low.
Me too. I put 0 points for that because I thought it was the easiest. (I'm also a rookie so I didn't have that much info about what my opponents strengths/weaknesses would be). I guess I also need to get better at gauging what is common knowledge and what isn't.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

sims wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:40 am
Me too. I put 0 points for that because I thought it was the easiest. (I'm also a rookie so I didn't have that much info about what my opponents strengths/weaknesses would be). I guess I also need to get better at gauging what is common knowledge and what isn't.
Nah, more people should have known that. :oops: I had no clue but I assigned it as a one-pointer because "surely the first woman to hold federal office is something lots of trivia buffs will know".

Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Tied, 3(3)-3(3). Talked myself out of a win with a facepalm-worthy decision: changing "Palomino" to "Pinto" at the last minute.

My answer for the M.F.K. Fisher question was "travel" because I had read her Two Towns in Provence. I wasn't aware that she was best known for food writing; and, in fact, an MFK Fisher Award for Excellence in Culinary Writing is given out every even-numbered year. You learn something every day.

I've seen Jeanette Rankin come up in various trivia games. She's also knwon for having voted against declaring war in both World War I and World War II. She was the only "no" vote against the latter.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Blue Lion wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:53 am My answer for the M.F.K. Fisher question was "travel" because I had read her Two Towns in Provence. I wasn't aware that she was best known for food writing; and, in fact, an MFK Fisher Award for Excellence in Culinary Writing is given out every even-numbered year. You learn something every day.
Her name meant nothing to me so I took a wild guess and put "gardening." I wonder how many people actually knew this as opposed to just figuring "cooking" was their best guess.

Terrible game for me yesterday getting only two correct.
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

What a horrible season for me so far. I've lost my mojo for sure.

I'd never heard of Rankin, but there's a lot of US history that I don't know about (despite what my LLeague stats may suggest). Given all of y'all's surprise at the general lack of knowledge about her, I looked her up in http://quinterest.org/, and there seems to only be one question about her there. So, she's not making the rounds of college quiz bowl these days either. Nonetheless, she's definitely worth knowing, and I've added her to my Ankicards.