Thursday, November 16, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Re: Thursday, November 16, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by zerobandwidth »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:20 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:42 pm
zerobandwidth wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:34 pm The clue for Kalamata had a near-giveaway TOM with the "'olive' you should know" hint
Is Kalamata that well-known? I don't recall ever hearing of it before about 7:15 this evening.
Also +1. NHOI. Must be a hipster food like arugula and quinoa. My enlightenment was closer to 7:30 thanks to the magic of DVR.
I do most of our grocery shopping, and we eat a lot of olives. (On pizzas, in omelettes...) I see the word "Kalamata" every day when I open my refrigerator.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

zerobandwidth wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:31 am
I do most of our grocery shopping, and we eat a lot of olives. (On pizzas, in omelettes...) I see the word "Kalamata" every day when I open my refrigerator.
There's no reading material in our fridge, just leftover possum and a case of the Beast (Milwaukee's best). :lol: Our green olives do say manzinilla, and I would have negged on that word as well. I'll have to start reading the labels on the vittles a little closer. There are several new types of mini-donuts and moon pies out now, and I'll be ready when those categories come up. :lol:
Around here, any grocery products that aren't house brand generics are "hipster" food, no offense intended. The real fighting words is between the "Best Choice" loyalists vs. the "Always Save" snobs.

On FJ I Pavlov'ed to Ipad over Iphone because of the 'big' language, but after using think time to consider other objects I did the math for the ten years. (A simple problem if you know the current year, not always a given for me). It was an easy switch due to the hoopla about the ten year anniversary earlier this year.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:55 am On FJ I Pavlov'ed to Ipad over Iphone because of the 'big' language, but after using think time to consider other objects I did the math for the ten years. (A simple problem if you know the current year, not always a given for me). It was an easy switch due to the hoopla about the ten year anniversary earlier this year.
Not only that, but bear in mind that, at the time, the most prevalent form factor for a cellular telephone was a tiny, pocket-sized flip phone. The iPhone, with its touch screen, was the size of a patio brick by comparison. Further, consumer-affordable tablet computer technology just didn't exist yet. At that time, the new trend in portable computing technology was netbooks.

yclept

Post by yclept »

zerobandwidth wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:59 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:55 am On FJ I Pavlov'ed to Ipad over Iphone because of the 'big' language, but after using think time to consider other objects I did the math for the ten years. (A simple problem if you know the current year, not always a given for me). It was an easy switch due to the hoopla about the ten year anniversary earlier this year.
Not only that, but bear in mind that, at the time, the most prevalent form factor for a cellular telephone was a tiny, pocket-sized flip phone. The iPhone, with its touch screen, was the size of a patio brick by comparison. Further, consumer-affordable tablet computer technology just didn't exist yet. At that time, the new trend in portable computing technology was netbooks.
I freely admit that I went from iPad to iPhone only because I remembered a bit of a stir that was caused when Modern Family dedicated a whole show to Phil’s obsession with the newly released iPad. I knew that wasn’t 10 years ago, so I went with the iPhone. I didn’t make the iPhone X connection, which would have been much easier ;).
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:52 pm
Kenny wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:48 pm
BKavett wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:33 pm I am also surprised they didn't give Austin credit for "transsexual" since it does also have 11 letters and it did used to be the term even though it's not in favor now.
You're right. Transsexual was the accepted term in the 90s, and it fits the category. Austin was robbed.
The problem is, "transsexual" is a less inclusive term than "transgender."
Exactly. The other problems is that T never stood for transsexual, as far as I can recall, so it's not a correct response historically or currently.
sims
Valued Contributor

Post by sims »

Golf wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:07 pm
sims wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:17 pm One thing I've noticed about Buzzy (and this is from only seeing his ToC matches, not his regular ones) is that he seems unafraid to neg. Which is a great strategy in quiz bowl, and less good in J! It's probably why I did much better at J! than I ever did at QB.
Barring endgame scenarios, if a contestant is 50%+ sure of their answer, shouldn't they ring in?
I don't know what the official wisdom is on that, but negging is J! is a lot worse than negging in QB. I stuck pretty close to the "stay clam" motto (and the one time I didn't it did not work well for me. I know that sometimes there's an answer in your head you don't know why you know it, but you think you do and if you overthink that and don't buzz in right away you might be too late. But I didn't buzz in on anything except for stuff I wasn't like 90%+ sure about, except for the one time when I was losing the lead and panicked.
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

Thanks for the replies to my I-phone smartphone query. This is what I get for being a luddite.
Le Flaneur
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

sims wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:20 am I know that sometimes there's an answer in your head you don't know why you know it, but you think you do and if you overthink that and don't buzz in right away you might be too late. But I didn't buzz in on anything except for stuff I wasn't like 90%+ sure about, except for the one time when I was losing the lead and panicked.
I think this is one of the benefits of tracking your Coryat at home. You can experiment with different levels of guess-aggression and see what works best for you. Without those statistics, you tend to remember the times you thought you knew it but stayed clam. But you don't have a good idea how that offsets against the times you thought you knew it only you were wrong. Your 90%+ rule tracks with my experience and Mrs P's from the couch. Maybe this is statistical confirmation of something like the infamous 50/50/90 rule.
sims
Valued Contributor

Post by sims »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:46 am
sims wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:20 am I know that sometimes there's an answer in your head you don't know why you know it, but you think you do and if you overthink that and don't buzz in right away you might be too late. But I didn't buzz in on anything except for stuff I wasn't like 90%+ sure about, except for the one time when I was losing the lead and panicked.
I think this is one of the benefits of tracking your Coryat at home. You can experiment with different levels of guess-aggression and see what works best for you. Without those statistics, you tend to remember the times you thought you knew it but stayed clam. But you don't have a good idea how that offsets against the times you thought you knew it only you were wrong. Your 90%+ rule tracks with my experience and Mrs P's from the couch. Maybe this is statistical confirmation of something like the infamous 50/50/90 rule.
Yes, definitely. When I first started practicing (my husband asking me old games) I absolutely would not say a guess if I didn't know it. Then there were a few times when the answer was revealed and I would say, "Well, that's the answer that was in my head but why would I know that?" So I started to have a bit more trust in myself, but I still didn't want to guess too aggressively. And I think the old test-taking maxim about your first guess usually being right is a good rule of thumb.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Golf wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:07 pm Barring endgame scenarios, if a contestant is 50%+ sure of their answer, shouldn't they ring in?
If you get it right, you win the clue value. Get it wrong and you lose the value.

So a 50/50 guess has an expected value of zero. Half the time you win, half you lose. Averaged out, that's zero.

But you need to add in the fact that missing a question gives the other players both additional time to think of an answer plus knowledge of one wrong answer.

So you need to be considerably more sure than 50/50 before ringing in.
--Peter
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

Foretopman wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:04 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:04 pm Wow. I came for a slugfest, not a trainwreck. :lol:
What, a whole category on slugs doesn't count as a slugfest? :lol:
You win!

:mrgreen:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I sort of missed the opening of the show because I was cooking dinner. Did Alex says his usual "remember this is a two-day, total point affair" line?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:46 am
If we are being this analytical, isn't it fair to assume you are in all-out buzzer battle mode for the first two rows whether you've processed your answer options or not? You know, like in basketball - elevate and decide in the air (except for real sucky categories like anagrams, etc..). I cry a little on the inside when a contestant guesses at a $2000 clue; and a 90% rule is perfect for that in a controlled game situation. I think you could go to 66-75% for the third and fourth row, depending on comfort in the category. If the game situation is desperate, all bets are off, flail away and save a buck for Final so you can leave a cute message!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

LGBTQ: I wonder if responding just "trans" would have prompted a BMS or an outright neg. We'll never know!
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:22 am If the game situation is desperate, all bets are off, flail away and save a buck for Final so you can leave a cute message!
My dream was to have a lock game going into FJ! so that I could write "What is tonight's correct response?" and then have a mock argument with Alex and/or the judges when it was revealed.

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

zerobandwidth wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:25 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:22 am If the game situation is desperate, all bets are off, flail away and save a buck for Final so you can leave a cute message!
My dream was to have a lock game going into FJ! so that I could write "What is tonight's correct response?" and then have a mock argument with Alex and/or the judges when it was revealed.
Well at least you've got it out for people to see so someone might be able to use it if the situation presents itself.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:24 am LGBTQ: I wonder if responding just "trans" would have prompted a BMS or an outright neg. We'll never know!
IIRC, the clue said 11 letters. So ... outright neg.
Clue Jungry
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Clue Jungry »

If there's an Apple-related TOC FJ, it must be Thursday.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:22 am If we are being this analytical, isn't it fair to assume you are in all-out buzzer battle mode for the first two rows whether you've processed your answer options or not?
If you're able to keep that in mind, I think that's a good idea. I would definitely need to do some intensive training to develop that kind of situational awareness and respond differently based on clue value. Even on the couch, all I've managed so far is a good overall idea on where to set my guessing dial between cautious and aggressive.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I went through a whole slew of options during the THINK music: Smartphone, IPad, IPhone, Blackberry...and settled on Blackberry, which was incorrect.

Loved the intro; I always record Jeopardy! to watch later in the evening so I can skip the commercials...and actually re-winded to the beginning to watch it twice. I knew Austin was going to do something animated...but I got a smile when Alan did his thing...but when Buzzy got into the act, i let out a loud "That's awesome!"