Wednesday, November 22, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7638, 2017-11-22

CONTESTANTS
Kelsey Van Bokkem, an intern physician from San Diego, California
Jim Eckess, a bartender from State College, Pennsylvania
Kiana Nakamura, a graduate student from Corona, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $10,500)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. On yesterday's program, we had a very long Final, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Kiana got on it immediately. She started writing down her response. Unfortunately for Wilbur, one of the other challengers, he started late and didn't have time to complete the response. So she's our new champion, and Jim and Kelsey are the challengers. Let's see how it works out today. Now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
POLICE YOUR AREA (4/5)
AROUND THE WORLD (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
UNTOLD TV STORIES (4/5)
"B"REEDS (5/5)
THERE'S A WORD FOR THAT (3/5)
LOOKS LIKE WE MADE IT (1/2)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kiana: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Kelsey: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Jim: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jim found the Daily Double on the 7th clue. Kiana had $400, Jim was in the red with -$800, and Kelsey was at $1,800. Jim wagered $1,000.

AROUND THE WORLD $400: This 14-foot -long holy relic has been housed in Italy's Cathedral of San Giovanni Battista since 1578
(Jim: Nothing's coming to me.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kelsey: $2,200
Kiana: $1,800
Jim: -$600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kelsey Van Bokkem is from San Diego. Good to have you with us on the program.

Kelsey: Good to be here.

Alex: Recently in Los Angeles, a big moment--the opening of Hamilton. You saw it, but in New York.

Kelsey: Yes, that's correct. After I got done with my officer training last summer, I had a few spare days, so I decided to just take myself down to the Richard Rodgers Theater, and I got in line at 7AM, and waited for twelve hours by myself to get some day-of tickets. Ended up getting tickets in the seventh row, which was amazing. But actually, my most New York moment was pretty much--all of us in line decided to order delivery to the Hamilton line.

[Laughter]

Kelsey: So that was a pretty unique experience.

Alex: That's a great New York moment.

Kelsey: Yeah.

Alex: Jim Eckess, bartender from Pennsylvania who once met Jack Lemmon.

Jim: Yes, I was...

Alex: Did you caddy for him?

Jim: I was a caddy in his foursome, yes. And he was right there the whole time through all 18 holes. And uh...

Alex: He's known primarily as a comedic actor. Was he funny on the golf course?

Jim: He was. He was very demure through most of the time, and then to the 18th green he was playing with a local pro in the foursome. He knew him, and the local pro said, "How about this one for a round?" And Jack hit the ball straight down the middle of the 18th fairway, his best shot of the day. And he turns around and he goes, "The sweet smell of juniper was in the air."

[Laughter]

Alex: Kiana Nakamura is a graduate student from Corona, California. Tell me about the Cyborg Zombies, your high school team.

Kiana: Yes. That was our robotics team in the first league. And I was the programmer for it, and I was the driver.

Alex: Terrific.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
UNTOLD TV STORIES $800: This Fox show was originally supposed to be about a family of cannibals who ran a restaurant

AROUND THE WORLD $800: The city of Kirkuk is a center of this country's oil industry

THERE'S A WORD FOR THAT $400: One of the 2 body parts also called simply the minimus

POLICE YOUR AREA $1000: The LAPD "strongly embraces" this kind of policing that emphasizes working with the citizenry
(Alex: We have less than a minute to go now.)

THERE'S A WORD FOR THAT $1000: Resembling a shepherd's crook, it's the pastoral staff carried by a bishop

LOOKS LIKE WE MADE IT $1000: This company took a shot at making Kevlar aramid fiber

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kiana: $5,200
Kelsey: $3,000
Jim: -$400
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CHAPELS SHOW (3/4)
SINGLE-NAMED SINGERS' LAST NAMES (3/5)
THE AGE OF TREASON (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE "MOTHER" OF ALL WORDS (4/5)
NOW YOU'RE SPEAKING MY LANGUAGE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
POE FOLKS (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kiana: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 1 W
Kelsey: 5 R, 1 W
Jim: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $14,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kiana snagged the next Daily Double on the 21st clue. Kiana had $11,200, Jim had $800, and Kelsey was at $7,400. Kiana wagered $1,000.

NOW YOU'RE SPEAKING MY LANGUAGE $800: Kenyan president Uhuru Kenyatta's first name means "freedom" in this language of Africa

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kiana who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Kiana had $13,000, Jim had $800, and Kelsey was at $5,400. Kiana wagered $1,200.

THE AGE OF TREASON $1200: 17 when convicted of treason in the death of this man, Vaso Cubrilovic went on to be Yugoslavia's Minister of Forests
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SINGLE-NAMED SINGERS' LAST NAMES $800: She uses her last name Fenty on her fashion line for Puma

POE FOLKS $1200: "The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar" see a dying man undergo this early form of hypnotism with horrific results

POE FOLKS $1600: In "The Murders in the Rue Morgue", this sleuth is said to come from an illustrious family

SINGLE-NAMED SINGERS' LAST NAMES $2000: Robinson is the last name of this R&B singer with the 2017 hit "Location"

THE "MOTHER" OF ALL WORDS $1600: It's what Emma Lazarus called the Statue of Liberty in her poem for it

NOW YOU'RE SPEAKING MY LANGUAGE $2000: This Asian language is official in India & also spoken by about 1/5 of the people of Sri Lanka
(Kelsey: What is Hindi?)
(Kiana: What is Sanskrit?)

THE AGE OF TREASON $1600: In 1844 American Thomas Dorr argued that you can't be convicted of treason against one of these, but he was

THE AGE OF TREASON $2000: The last man hanged for treason in England was "Lord Haw Haw", who used this as his "weapon" to help the Nazis

CHAPELS SHOW $1600: The Chapel of the Holy Cross in Sedona, Arizona is on this type of energy hub for which the city is known
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kiana: $16,200 (lock game)
Kelsey: $5,400
Jim: $800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE CALENDAR

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Kiana: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $5,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Kelsey: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,799 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Jim: You've no hope of catching up... unless Kelsey does something stupid. So risk $799.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
November 2017 is in the year 1439 AH in the calendar that dates from an action of this religious figure

FINAL SCORES
Jim: $800 - $0 = $800 (Who is dali Lama) (3rd place: $1,000)
Kelsey: $5,400 - $3,000 = $2,400 (Who is Martin) (2nd place: $2,000)
Kiana: $16,200 + $0 = $16,200 (Who is Muhammad?) (2-day champion: $26,700)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $19,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kiana: $16,000, 20 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Kelsey: $5,400, 11 R, 2 W
Jim: $1,800, 9 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $23,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Kiana: 21/60 = .350
Kelsey: 11/58 = .190
Jim: 9/59 = .153
Team: 41/63 = .651

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
UNTOLD TV STORIES $200: (Sarah shows the letter shin on the monitor.) Leonard Nimoy explained that the Vulcan salute was inspired by a time in his past when the men at his temple made a similar sign in the shape of the letter shin in this alphabet

UNTOLD TV STORIES $600: Jay Jackson, who played Perd Hapley on this sitcom, is actually a real reporter, though in L.A., not Indiana

UNTOLD TV STORIES $1000: When it was decided not to kill off this "Lost" doc in the pilot, Michael Keaton bowed out & Matthew Fox took over
(Jim: What is Lost?)

"B"REEDS $200: Because of its name, this kitty may have illusions that it's an Indian tiger

"B"REEDS $600: It's the Indian cow breed seen here

THERE'S A WORD FOR THAT $200: From the arrangement of a certain group of letters, it's obvious how this type of keyboard got its name

THERE'S A WORD FOR THAT $600: In the simple lever seen here, it's the 7-letter term for the red triangle

THERE'S A WORD FOR THAT $800: Architecturally speaking, something that's fenestrated has these
(Kelsey: What are holes?)

"B"REEDS $1000: The second part of this little dog's name refers to its curly hair

"B"REEDS $800: The Brabant is also known as this nationality's draft horse
(Jim: Uh, what is...)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CHAPELS SHOW $400: The ends of pews in a chapel at the Academy of this armed service represent World War I propellers

CHAPELS SHOW $800: Built into the mountainsides, St. Gilda's Chapel in Brittany is on a spot where this Celtic priestly class would meet

POE FOLKS $2000: Suffering with an affliction that makes him appear dead, a man fears the title of this Poe story
(Jim: What are "The Bells"?)

NOW YOU'RE SPEAKING MY LANGUAGE $1200: These ancient manuscripts were written mostly in Hebrew but also in Greek and Aramaic

CHAPELS SHOW $2000: With the bones of 40,000 souls, the Czech chapel seen here is also called this, from the Latin for bones

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Shroud of Turin
Bob's Burgers
Iraq
your little finger or your baby toe
community policing
the crosier
DuPont
Swahili
Duke Franz Ferdinand
Rihanna
mesmerism
C. Auguste Dupin
Khalid
the Mother of Exiles
Tamil
a state
the radio
a vortex
Muhammad
Hebrew
Parks and Recreation
Jack
a Bengal
the Brahma
QWERTY
the fulcrum
windows
a Bichon Frise
a Belgian
the Air Force
the Druids
"A Premature Burial"
the Dead Sea Scrolls
an ossuary
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE CALENDAR

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
November 2017 is in the year 1439 AH in the calendar that dates from an action of this religious figure

Kiana Nakamura: 16200+0=16200 (2x = $26,700)
Jim Eckess: 800-0=800
Kelsey Van Bokkem: 5400-3000=2400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Muhammad (Jim – Dali Lama) (Kelsey – Martin [perhaps going for Luther])

Daily Doubles
Jim: minus 800-1000
Kiana: 11200+1000
Kiana: 13000+1200

Coryats
Kiana: 16000
Jim: 1800
Kelsey: 5400

Combined: 23200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Kiana: 5200
Jim: minus 400
Kelsey: 3000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kiana did not know the Poe detective for $1600 with over a dozen hits in the Archive, yet she got the $2000 clue for a story with one hit in the Archive. She had some other good gets in the game for some distinctive bottom of the board knowledge.

I fit right in the challengers being off base in solving a gettable FJ clue as I wrote Buddha since he has an AH in there, though in reverse order. It was under five seconds to go when I had the brilliant idea to do a little math. From there I was stuck in the awful place of knowing the right guy and not having enough time to make the switch.

My bad and I’ll take the miss since I play properly with the time restriction and a written response. Under the looser standard of only thinking my response then it’s a get.

The early Montgomery airing is out tomorrow morning with Thanksgiving programming and its delay until the afternoon. Many other markets will face various scheduling issues with football on three different networks. Check your listings.

I’ll play CBS roulette and try to get J! out of one of the Southern stations when I can tomorrow.
SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SweepingDeveloper »

<bobharris>Hmm...1439 AH...OK, sounds like Brave New World, no, that's AF. Hmm...those are around 600 years apart. Boom! Islam, Mohammed!</bobharris>
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Until I saw today's show, I couldn't remember precisely how Alex acknowledged the previous day's FJ. The in-studio murmurs over that decision must have indicated how the viewing public would react down the line, thus the mention of "SPLHCB" in the opening. (See--it's too long even for me to type out on my phone!)

Kiana MORE than proved her worth as a champion today on the heels of yesterday's controversy. A very impressive showing. And I remember that Kelsey especially didn't want to be That Player in Uniform who whiffs on an Armed Forces-related clue. In this game, she got to give an "Air Force" response. Yay, Kelsey!

And for longtime J! Pool swimmers, one of today's players received The Call well after the expiration date. I'm thinking over TWO YEARS after the original audition, so keep that in mind. Ya never know.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Big WECIB for FJ today, I think. I couldn’t think of a reasonable alternative to Muhammad.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I said propaganda for what the weapon was that got Lord Haw Haw in trouble. Judges?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Kiana made a very strong showing in the last half of DJ to put the game away.

But the last 13 clues contained a ton of strategic errors. With 13 clues and 2 DD's left Jim selected the lone top row clue. Then on the next clue Kiana took the 2nd row clue in the same category and was rewarded with the first DD. After the typical round number too small for a 2nd row clue wager they continued down that category until completion when it was known there were no more DD's there. The last DD wager was exactly $1195 too much, why do people wager more on harder clues? Then with 3 clues left (if I remember correctly in real time) Kiana had a solid lock and the only clue that could change that was the lone $2k clue left. And she chose that one.

Of course none of that strategy made a difference in the end. :D
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

floridagator wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:49 pm I said propaganda for what the weapon was that got Lord Haw Haw in trouble. Judges?
My husband and I also said "propaganda."
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

floridagator wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:49 pm I said propaganda for what the weapon was that got Lord Haw Haw in trouble. Judges?
I said the same thing and remain convinced it's a better response than the "radio" or "radio something" that was offered. Radio propaganda would be the most accurate.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Not much to talk about on this one except recording my scores:

R: 20 W: 3, costing 2200
FJ!: :mrgreen:
Coryat: 9800
LT: none, for the 2nd day in a row.

FJ! wagering was irrelevant as long as no one made a mistake. Jim couldn't catch Kelsey, who couldn't catch Kiana. Max wagers, from 3rd to 1st are 800, 3799 and 5399. Minimums are zero across the board. So everyone wagered within their logical ranges. One could argue that a two-time (counting the lock as a win) champion would have a better than 50/50 chance at getting FJ! right, so a non-zero wager by Kiana would be logical. However, personal thoughts about the FJ! category (or a simple desire not to screw up horrifically on national TV) could sway the wager back to zero.

Like others, I followed the math to get to around 600 CE. Combine that with religious figure important enough to have a calendar and I came up with Mohammed. I trust this spelling is adequate.

Quick question: Does J! use BC/AD or BCE/CE with their calendar years? Or does it really matter?
--Peter
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:40 pm The early Montgomery airing is out tomorrow morning with Thanksgiving programming and its delay until the afternoon. Many other markets will face various scheduling issues with football on three different networks. Check your listings.

I’ll play CBS roulette and try to get J! out of one of the Southern stations when I can tomorrow.
You can see it on the Birmingham station at 2:30 CST. Football doesn’t start until 3:00 here. We’ll be at my wife’s brother’s house, so I’ll leave the key under the mat for you. You are on your own Friday, unless you want to see the Missouri-Arkansas game.

Kind of a bleah game, but Kiana dominated to get a non-controversial win.

I remembered Muhammad was around in the 600s, so I did the math and got it right.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WNEM accidentally cut to commercial after the interviews. That's not the first time that's happened. I wonder if there was a coding error? This then put Wheel about 2 minutes early.

All but "crosier" in Word for That. I've actually met our bishop several times, and while he made a lot of jokes about his staff, he never told us it was called that.

I knew Jack was the Lost guy, but couldn't pull his name in time. Outright didn't know Parks & Rec.

Total skunk for me in "B"reeds. You'd think I'd do well in a combination word/animal category, but nope. Bengal went right over my head in the top box, and I just never managed to pull anything else.

"Mother" also eluded me. Didn't help that the top box was the only one where the "word in quotes" was at the end instead of beginning.

I saw no way whatsoever to figure this FJ! out.

Lach Trash: Bob's Burgers, little finger/toe
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

So Jim is in a negative/distant third situation, and every time he gains control of the board, he changes category and begins again at the lowest value clues. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Personally, I think it's foolish to begin at the very bottom, but at least finish a category that is already in progress, for heaven's sake. You know what it is about, and you have a better shot at actually, you know, becoming competitive. He seemed more like he was not only not trying to win but actively running away from any chance to win.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

How is FJ a TS? Who else could it possibly be but Mad Mo? :roll:
clprez

Post by clprez »

I spent too much time in FJ thinking that AH would be key to getting the clue. Then I realized that when given a year and a time span, often just figuring out the actual date will lead to the answer, so I was able to figure it out.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

DBear wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:08 pm How is FJ a TS? Who else could it possibly be but Mad Mo? :roll:
Champ answered correctly.

AH = anno Hejira (flight from Mecca to Medina), much like anno Domini in the Christian tradition
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

squarekara wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:09 pm
My husband and I also said "propaganda."
I said "voice," which I think is also reasonable.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »