Wednesday, April 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by StevenH »

This board sucked. Really, one of the sloppiest that I have ever seen used on the show. There is a dire need for some new writers.

I agree, FJ was Kids Week level.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

ACW wrote:Didn't know which character, but FJ near-instaget. Spider=Charlotte's web.
I honestly didn't even remember that Charlotte had both a middle initial and a last name, but got it anyway.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

ACW wrote:A New Hope was a near Instaget; $2000??? :shock:
I went the other way, figuring that it wasn't going to be Star Wars anything.

Have I mentioned I'm really tired right now? Probably why I couldn't spit out any answers today.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
ACW wrote:A New Hope was a near Instaget; $2000??? :shock:
I went the other way, figuring that it wasn't going to be Star Wars anything.

Have I mentioned I'm really tired right now? Probably why I couldn't spit out any answers today.
Perhaps you are spending too much time on the internet.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
DWS wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:And how would I know that Carlsberg is a beer and not any other type of alcohol?
Because they're known for making beer.
News to me. Certainly not as recognizable a name as say, Coors or Budweiser. Or even Killian's, my favorite.
Carlsberg, Lego, and cartoons insulting Muhammad
Spoiler
What are three products Denmark is known for making?
I also bit on infinite and The Empire Strikes Back. To me, their "first victory" was blowing up the Death Star. After a tough DJ, a FJ that would be at home in a kids' tournament.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
DWS wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:And how would I know that Carlsberg is a beer and not any other type of alcohol?
Because they're known for making beer.
News to me. Certainly not as recognizable a name as say, Coors or Budweiser. Or even Killian's, my favorite.
ACW wrote:Think they would've taken infinite for innumerable?
Pretty sure the category had "Inn" in quotation marks, not "in". That threw me because I have never heard "innumerable" before.
What was the clue? The two words are not synonymous. The integers are infinite but denumerable (and therefore not innumerable). The real numbers are innumerable. --Bob
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Someone explain the Francis Ford Coppola DD to me from round 1.
MexiKen
Contributor

Post by MexiKen »

I almost felt that the Star Wars question being at $2000 was what made the other two guess the later editions - A New Hope just seemed waaaay too easy at $2000.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Speaking of A New Hope, if Joey had simply responded with "What is Star Wars?" after the two misses, would they have given that to him? It should be acceptable, because the movie was originally marketed under that name, and I believe "Episode IV: A New Hope" was only added later. Is there any Jeopardy! precedent for this? I think that if the first player buzzing in had just said Star Wars it definitely would have been accepted, but after the two negs with Episodes V and VI, I could see someone making the argument that Star Wars should be given a be more specific. If he had said just Star Wars and received credit, I can just about guarantee that there would have been at least one poster at the official Sony board complaining that he unfairly got credit for naming a series of 6 movies without specifying which one.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Bob78164 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
ACW wrote:Think they would've taken infinite for innumerable?
Pretty sure the category had "Inn" in quotation marks, not "in". That threw me because I have never heard "innumerable" before.
What was the clue? The two words are not synonymous. The integers are infinite but denumerable (and therefore not innumerable). The real numbers are innumerable. --Bob
They're not mathematically equivalent, but they are synonymous in colloquial speech.
Last edited by marpocky on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jeff6286 wrote:... I can just about guarantee that there would have been at least one poster at the official Sony board complaining ...
Speaking of that - ahem - other board, the posts there just keep getting more and more clever.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Austin Powers wrote:Embarrassing for all three that "Star Wars" proved to be actually worth $2000 in effort. I mean, three guys, all sorta the right age? The secret base at Yavin? Death Star plans stolen?
I'm as much a Star Wars junkie as the next guy. I've seen the original trilogy many times. And yet, "The Empire Strikes Back" is what I blurted out. After all, they started that movie on yet another secret base on Hoth, and they had just destroyed the Death Star, a significant victory.

I wouldn't really call it an "embarassing" guess.

"Return of the Jedi" is a little more embarassing since the movie begins after the rebels had just lost their secret base and suffered a major defeat.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

marpocky wrote:
Bob78164 wrote: What was the clue? The two words are not synonymous. The integers are infinite but denumerable (and therefore not innumerable). The real numbers are innumerable. --Bob
They're not mathematically equivalent, but they are synonymous in colloquial speech.
In mathematics, we don't use the term innumerable. We use countably infinite and uncountably infinite. Innumerable just means a lot; hardly a precise term.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

bpmod wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:... I can just about guarantee that there would have been at least one poster at the official Sony board complaining ...
Speaking of that - ahem - other board, the posts there just keep getting more and more clever.

Brian
On the off-chance that you weren't being sarcastic about the Other Board, I just revisited it. Yikes! The one-post-wonders complaining about supposed mistakes seem to have overrun the place.

We should be glad that these folks are landing there rather than here. It is great to be able to scan a day's worth of posts on the JBoard without seeing stuff such as ALEX WAS WORNG AND [contestant's name here] MUST BE BROGHT BACK IMEDIATELLY.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

jeff6286 wrote:Speaking of A New Hope, if Joey had simply responded with "What is Star Wars?" after the two misses, would they have given that to him? It should be acceptable, because the movie was originally marketed under that name, and I believe "Episode IV: A New Hope" was only added later. Is there any Jeopardy! precedent for this? I think that if the first player buzzing in had just said Star Wars it definitely would have been accepted, but after the two negs with Episodes V and VI, I could see someone making the argument that Star Wars should be given a be more specific. If he had said just Star Wars and received credit, I can just about guarantee that there would have been at least one poster at the official Sony board complaining that he unfairly got credit for naming a series of 6 movies without specifying which one.
My thinking and wondering exactly on this clue. The whole renaming thing, long after the original movie came out, has always been a particular peeve of mine - very much like rewriting history per 1984. Had I been playing for real, not coming up with "A New Hope" immediately, I'd have probably said something like "What is the original 1977 Star Wars?" They might have asked for more, but at least I'd have had the extra seconds to come up with it. That answer is correct and specific, so perhaps I'd have gotten away with it.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

nlw44 wrote:Had I been playing for real, not coming up with "A New Hope" immediately, I'd have probably said something like "What is the original 1977 Star Wars?"
I think they'd give you that. I've seen exchanges like "Who is George Bush?" "Which one?" "Um… the first one." "Correct." before.
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

"Bow Ties Are Cool" :shock: I can't believe how much love the writers are giving Doctor Who this season!

I once cried so vociferously while watching Glory that I was afraid my neighbor was going to come over to make sure I was OK.

Does anyone else think Joey looks like the actor they'd get to play Ken Jennings in the movie of his life?
alamble

Post by alamble »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:Someone explain the Francis Ford Coppola DD to me from round 1.
Don't remember the clue verbatim, but the key pieces were "famous director who owns a vineyard." That should lead you directly to Coppola.
gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

I was so sad they didn't reveal the final bow tie clue. Anyone want to venture a guess? I'm rooting for Pee Wee Herman!
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Vanya wrote:
marpocky wrote:
Bob78164 wrote: What was the clue? The two words are not synonymous. The integers are infinite but denumerable (and therefore not innumerable). The real numbers are innumerable. --Bob
In mathematics, we don't use the term innumerable. We use countably infinite and uncountably infinite. Innumerable just means a lot; hardly a precise term.
Indeed. I'm actually part of the "we." I was just pointing out that they're synonymous enough words for Jeopardy purposes, even if you do want to use innumerable to mean uncountable.