Tuesday, November 28, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Peter the accountant »

Johnblue wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:45 pmPretty cool to see Tierra Del Fuego up there! I spent some time there earlier this year!
I looked at the map and decided they were pointing to Ushuaia, then stopped listening to/reading the rest of the clue. There goes a wasted bit of South American geography knowledge. :(
--Peter
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

Even had time to draw a pikachu :p
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Interesting that the correct response to FJ! was Pokémon and there was a category that had "GO" in quotes, since the media-noted viral popularity of Pokémon GO! might still have been fresh on players' minds at the time of taping. I was pleased to run the table on that "GO" category and was also shocked that Neptune was a TS given the date of discovery (i.e. relatively late but before Pluto) and that Uranus and Saturn had already been eliminated.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:33 pm In case anyone is wondering, I'll be the only one who missed this on the poll this weekend. I'm sorry for ruining the otherwise 100% get rate.

Unfortunately you're not the only one. Add "Video Games" to the growing list of cultural references which collectively form the great black hole of my knowledge base.

:roll:
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $34,200 :mrgreen: NEW HIGH SCORE ALERT :mrgreen:
DDs: 2/3
FJ!: :mrgreen:

Ran Emmy-Winning Women, Cold Places, Transportation, Onomatopoeia. Would have run "GO" as well, but JUST didn't pull Winnebago out in time.

FJ! took a half a second, although I went to Mario Paint first for its bug-squishing mini-game. Saw 1996 and went "duh, Pokémon." Put the accent over the "é" and drew a little Pokéball on my card as well.

Judges: "squeaking" for "creaking" in the Onomatopoeia category? Squeaky hinges cause creaky doors!
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:37 am Judges: "squeaking" for "creaking" in the Onomatopoeia category? Squeaky hinges cause creaky doors!
I said that too, and marked it correct, because while they said “wooden door” they ultimately asked about the noise the hinges make.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If FJ had been about Centipede, I would have gotten it easily. But when I saw the year, I knew I had no chance. Didn’t even have a reasonable guess.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:28 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:22 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:20 pm Lach Trash: boysenberry, Betty, "Howl"
Nice! How do you know boysenberry? I can't get in the Kansas City area. I can't imagine it's available in your one-McDonalds town.
Now I'll have to look next time I'm at the Leawood Trader Joe's.
Let me know what you find out. I live in Shawnee.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:16 am
Johnblue wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:45 pmPretty cool to see Tierra Del Fuego up there! I spent some time there earlier this year!
I looked at the map and decided they were pointing to Ushuaia, then stopped listening to/reading the rest of the clue. There goes a wasted bit of South American geography knowledge. :(

Argentina wants to increase the population of Ushuaia so they have eliminated taxes for residents there. Good place for hiking.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

floridagator wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:45 pm I said Jacobeans. Am I negged?
I said the same thing, and negged myself after the reveal because of the pronunciation rule. Too bad I didn't pronounce the final syllable simply as "beans" as in lima, navy, black, green, red, pinto, or pork'n'.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Wheatley wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:19 am
NoWhammies10 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:37 am Judges: "squeaking" for "creaking" in the Onomatopoeia category? Squeaky hinges cause creaky doors!
I said that too, and marked it correct, because while they said “wooden door” they ultimately asked about the noise the hinges make.
I also went with "squeak" and wondered. Now after a bit of research, I wonder if "squeal" would also have been acceptable. There are several instances in literature where a door squealing is mentioned.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm ... VqWFdEitts
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:40 pm
Wheatley wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:19 am
I also went with "squeak" and wondered. Now after a bit of research, I wonder if "squeal" would also have been acceptable. There are several instances in literature where a door squealing is mentioned.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm ... VqWFdEitts
I'm 99.9% sure squeak would be accepted, and about 75% sure that they'd take squeal if you could find an example in literature. Sometime during my week (10/30-11/4, right before this past ToC, they reviewed and ultimately accepted "what is a nebula" when the expected response was "what is a galaxy," because apparently, they used to be called nebulae (even though, in modern science terminology, they're distinctly different things). Who knew?
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:25 am Interesting that the correct response to FJ! was Pokémon and there was a category that had "GO" in quotes, since the media-noted viral popularity of Pokémon GO! might still have been fresh on players' minds at the time of taping
Level 40 Valor player here. Gotta catch 'em all!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $41,000
50 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Mercury, Neptune, Jerry Orbach, artichoke, boysenberry, Howl

I have mentioned this before, but my wife was the youngest-ever employee of Knott's Berry Farm. (She was four.)
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:48 pm I have mentioned this before, but my wife was the youngest-ever employee of Knott's Berry Farm. (She was four.)
OK, I'll bite ... what did a 4 year old do to earn a paycheck?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

alietr wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:54 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:48 pm I have mentioned this before, but my wife was the youngest-ever employee of Knott's Berry Farm. (She was four.)
OK, I'll bite ... what did a 4 year old do to earn a paycheck?
Her family was an ice-skating troupe. They traveled the country performing at fairs and amusement parks. She's the little girl who shows up circa 8:33 in this episode of the early Jim Carrey vehicle The Duck Factory.
Sprinkles are for winners.